Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmyers

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by One Eyed Jack
It's not a contradiction at all, if you take time dilation into account. Which I do.

Well, at least you think you do, in your own unique hand-waving fashion. How about you show us the math, though, that would account for the reconciliation of this apparent contradiction? It should be interesting to see how "time dilation" can make one thing billions of years old, and another 6,000 years old, without some rather odd side effects....

bmyers

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by D the Atheist
Jack, I have only been frequenting this forum for a few weeks and I have noticed you tend to take existing science, expand on it into unproven and highly speculative territory and use conclusions drawn at moments of convenience to fit preconceived notions you have been brainwashed into believing without your knowledge.

You have placed yourself above the findings of highly intelligent people that are constrained from going too far into the fantastic by a system of science that produces inherent honesty in the main. You have no such system to restrain you and therefore your way of viewing nature can become a dishonest way of explaining the Universe et al. This shows up in your arguments and whether you consciously recognise it, is a question that is open.

D, I've only been here a few weeks longer than you have, and I've come to the conclusion that this is just Jack's style of doing things. Unfortunately, it also seems that he himself is incapable of recognizing the problems he has with this style. He seems to be convinced, unshakably, that he's making sense, no matter how far out on these limbs he has to go. I'm pretty much to the point of giving up on him, since it's pretty clear that he has no real interest in truly discussing any of this stuff - just somehow "scoring points," as if this were some debate he must win at all costs. Sorry, but I've no need to play that game; I've been hanging in here mostly because I perceived a possibility that SOMEONE might actually be taking him seriously, but I no longer am all that concerned about THAT.

bmyers

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by Berean Todd
Wicked, it is impossible to say what the area was like in the time of Noah, as everything was vastly different in the pre-flood world. The most common and popular Christian models have the whole of the pre-flood earth as a tropical climate, due to the green house effect of the canopy of water that was above the sky, but within the atmosphere/ozone. The fact of this is backed up by large finds of fosilized and quick-frozen tropical trees found in northern Siberia, Alaska, northern Canada and other remote areas of artic wasteland, which the evolutionary models can not account for.

I am afraid that you've swallowed too much creationist hogwash. There are no such "large finds...which the evolutionary models can not account for." You might find it illuminating to discuss this issue with any competent biologist or paleontologist. While you're doing that, you might want to also question the source of these supposedly "Christian" models (in reality, the creationist viewpoint is held only by a relatively small minority within the Christian faith) as to just how this supposed "canopy of water" existed in the first place.

Bigotboy

I took a look at the "eye" link that Analogous supplied, and I did not find any reason there to reject the notion of a creator. What I see in these debates is two differing opinions for the source of the observed results. One says natural selection, the other says a creator. It is interesting that the evolution community is looking for a LOGICAL progression to explain the resulting organ. I would think they would try to find the RANDOM process that produced the organ. Am I making a wrong conclusion here is thinking that every link the evolutionist finds to explain an existing state demonstrates that there is predetermined intelligence involved ?

D the Atheist

Originally posted by bmyers
I've been hanging in here mostly because I perceived a possibility that SOMEONE might actually be taking him seriously, but I no longer am all that concerned about THAT.

Agreed, but the price of freedom is eternal vigilance. :)

D the Atheist

Originally posted by Bigotboy
Am I making a wrong conclusion here is thinking that every link the evolutionist finds to explain an existing state demonstrates that there is predetermined intelligence involved ?

Yes and totally. Someone else with the appropriate expertise will no doubt answer this in a better fashion but:

Evolutionary theory follows the Darwin coined and popularised words, survival of the fittest . From this he meant that the organism that fitted its environment the best would survive better than those that did not.

Corky the Cat

BANNED
Banned
Top post Analogous, :thumb:

Most impressive.

Bob Enyart takes a shot on the chin, his legs wobble.

His glass chin is exposed!!!!!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Corky :D

Last edited:

Analogous

Confusion abounds

Confusion abounds

as to what constitutes evidence and what is ad hoc metaphysical assignment.

I took a look at the "eye" link that Analogous supplied, and I did not find any reason there to reject the notion of a creator. What I see in these debates is two differing opinions for the source of the observed results. One says natural selection, the other says a creator. It is interesting that the evolution community is looking for a LOGICAL progression to explain the resulting organ. I would think they would try to find the RANDOM process that produced the organ. Am I making a wrong conclusion here is thinking that every link the evolutionist finds to explain an existing state demonstrates that there is predetermined intelligence involved ?

Analogous: First let's consider the "two differing opinions".

One is based on a compendium of verifiable EVIDENCE. The other is based on the gaps between the verifiable and hypothetical and is asserted without one single speck of verifiable evidence to support it. The god hypothesis doesn't explain the connections. It just declares them to have been guided "somehow" by this god. This is not an explanation and effectively negates science.

There are a number of rational arguments that mitigate against a god hypothesis in the interim between gaps in knowledge.

1. The obvious flaws you would expect to see in natural selection. If a god is inserted as the explanation for the complexity, the proponent cannot argue such a being is omniscient or exceptionally wise. The flaws testify against such a conclusion and are entirely consistent with a trial and error natural process as we study organisms from simple single celled critters up to humans. Complexity is not analogous to perfection but the creationist seems unable to comprehend this.

2. The absence of a coherent connection between the known and the unknown. Proponents of the god hypothesis need to provide a detailed theory of HOW, WHEN, and WHY their god chose to intervene at specific moments in the development of organisms whose existence is entirely inconsequential to the ecosystem at large. Many of the gaps in research being stuffed with a designer god revolve around bio-equipment that has been demonstrated to advantage the organism for survival and replication. The gaps of how, when and why are what's being stuffed with a designer god, yet to just proclaim "godunnit" is not an explanation of the HWW.

3. Most proponents of the ID (intelligent designer) argument laude and rail against the evolutist that his hypothesi represent an appeal to random magic. Aside from the total ignorance of what constitutes randomness in the process, the creationist, when pressed for the HWW from an ID perspective, appeals to "magic". Their god just "poofed" things into play magic style.

4. Detractors of the evolutionary research claim man is looking for LOGICAL connections. So? How does one compile an accurate explanation without LOGICAL connections between a series of events that have led to an object or phenomenon in question? Are these same critics willing to concede that the creation story in Genesis IS NOT depicted as a LOGICAL sequence of events? Likely not.

The reason scientists complain that an appeal to a god negates science is simple to explain. When a researcher makes a connection between two or more events to arrive at an understanding of the phenomenon in question he supplies us with answers to the "how/when/why.

How: The researcher provides detailed diagrams, backed with verifiable and reproducible evidence of the exact precise peptide or enzyme mutation, where it occured sequentially in the string and what changes were effected.

When: The researcher is generally able to pinpoint a timeframe in which this mutation occured.

Why: The researcher also demonstrates why this particular mutation was adapted and replicated and how the organism was able to advantage its survivability as a consequence.

The creationist, when pressed for such details, has none. How could he? Unless he has some special connection to the mind of his god there is simply no way he can provide such detailed explanations that answer these basic questions, thus his "evidence" for the existence of a god turns out not to be anything more than evidence for the existence of a gap in man's understanding. And worse, once man makes the connections and articulates a detailed NATURAL explanation, the creationist comes away with egg on his face and a diminished god to apologize for. This has happened time and again down through history everytime some zealous believer tries to take his faith into areas where it doesn't belong in search of an evidential argument for his god's existence. It doesn't benefit man scientifically or theologically to commit such foolish gaffs and Bob should have known this before going public with his arguments.

Last edited:

attention

Well, at least you think you do, in your own unique hand-waving fashion. How about you show us the math, though, that would account for the reconciliation of this apparent contradiction? It should be interesting to see how "time dilation" can make one thing billions of years old, and another 6,000 years old, without some rather odd side effects....

"time dilation" is more then that, it must also be responsible for reversing the order of events in time.
Remember that the Genesis account decribes that the earth existed before the sun and stars.

There is no possble way that can be the case, since the earth contains elements that were not there shortly after the Big Bang, and that could only have been arrived from nuclear processes in stars. That means: without there being stars prior to the the formation of the solar system and earth, there could not have been a planet earth.

Last edited:

attention

'Creation'

'Creation'

Analogous:

Again good post.

And in addition to this, let us not forget that the word 'creation' only has specific meaning in the realm of human social activities. 'Creation' is defined only there, and outside of it, it in fact lacks meaning.

'Creationists' often have used this argument from the 'blind watchmaker'. It is the issue of a man-made thing ( a watch, a photo-copier, etc) that is found at some place, and then it is asked wether that complex technical thing can have be the result of totally random processes.

This then is for creationists the argument to state that since this mechanical, technical thing is so complex, it needed an intelligent designer. And thus they conclude: life forms are also very complex, even more complex as a mechanical, technical device, thus they need a creator.

The error in the logic has most of the time be pointed out at the basis of the fact that compex technical, mechanical things, do not have a purpose on their own, and only function as a part of human society.
A watch or copier simply has no function on it's own, and is not an independend thing, that could exist on it's own.

But this is not the only and not the most important error of their logic. The most profound error in their logic is that they assume or state that the process which has formed and shaped this mechanical, technical thing (a watch, a copier) is a product of creation and not a product of development.

What is meant with creation or design? Creation or design means that a human inventor or designer is the cause for the existence of that mechanical or techical thing. Based on a creative act and a planned process.

Development on the other hand means not a creation or design in one time, but a stepwise approach, in which old concepts are used in a new way, get improved and stepwise refined, and in which existing concepts are combined in a new thing.

Typically development takes considerably more time as design, and is not an 'all in one' process, but is a much more slower and stepwise process.

However, when we look at human 'creations' and look at for instance the concept of a modern car, it becomes quite obvious that although there are distinct moments of 'creative interventions' in a car's design, the slow and gradual change of a car from earlier car concepts, is realy like nothing of a creation process, but has every property of a slow and gradual development process, with stepwise refinement, and small changes that combine to changes on the long time.

All in all the 'creation' of a car did take place during a period of time of several thousands years. Like in eveolution we can state that there is common descend. A car has properties in common with other vehicles, that indicate common descend. The car is based on the earlier concept of a charot, and the charot is based on the earlier concept of the wheel.

Stratnerd

Analogous et al.,

Unless he has some special connection to the mind of his god there is simply no way he can provide such detailed explanations that answer these basic questions

Very nice posts but I think the comment above is the most poignant. Until creationists/Biblical literalists figure that out they will not be doing science.

PureX

Originally posted by Bigotboy
You are wrong in that you seem to be assuming that evolution has some sort of anti-creation (anti-Christian) agenda, and is promoting a model specifically intended to prove a "Godless" process. It's not. Science is not out to prove or disprove God. It's simply a logical methodology used to try and eliminate bias and misperception while learning how the world around us works. The reason Creationists see science as it's "enemy" is because their own belief system is irrational and they don't want to admit this. Creationism is based on an assumed act of divine magic, right from the start, and so is essentially irrational. So why do creationists then try to hide from this by trying to "prove" their irrational beliefs using logic and reason, or even by manipulating science itself? Aparently they are ashamed of their own irrationality. They view science as their enemy because it is rational, yet they seek to defend their own irrational beliefs using the very logic and reason that science is based on ... which is of course even more irrational.

If creationists are going to base their beliefs on divine magic, they should quit trying to pretend they are NOT doing so. It only makes them look more irrational than they already are. And if they don't want to embrace their own irrationality, then they ought to let go of the "divine magic" theory all together.

One Eyed Jack

Re: Nope...

Re: Nope...

Originally posted by Analogous
Uh...punctuated equilibrium is not a mechanism, it's an explanation for periods of sharp increase in speciation and mutation followed by long periods of stasis.

I didn't say it was a mechanism. I said it didn't have one.

One Eyed Jack

D, I've only been here a few weeks longer than you have, and I've come to the conclusion that this is just Jack's style of doing things. Unfortunately, it also seems that he himself is incapable of recognizing the problems he has with this style.

I'm not the one having problems with my style. If you don't like it, you're welcome to go to some other board.

I've been hanging in here mostly because I perceived a possibility that SOMEONE might actually be taking him seriously, but I no longer am all that concerned about THAT.

You haven't seen my PMs. :)

Corky the Cat

BANNED
Banned
If creationists are going to base their beliefs on divine magic, they should quit trying to pretend they are NOT doing so. It only makes them look more irrational than they already are. And if they don't want to embrace their own irrationality, then they ought to let go of the "divine magic" theory all together.

Hi PureX,

I enjoy your posts immensly. :thumb:

I think the answer to your question lies in their inability to accept death as final. Eveything in nature, from a blade of grass to a human being, must one day die and cease to be.

Once they accept that for what it is and drop this ridiculous notion of an "afterlife" I'm sure this planet will be a better place.

Corky

Last edited:

Bigotboy

Originally posted by PureX
You are wrong in that you seem to be assuming that evolution has some sort of anti-creation (anti-Christian) agenda, and is promoting a model specifically intended to prove a "Godless" process. It's not. Science is not out to prove or disprove God.

In the link supplied by Analogous, the writer specifically said that the modern human eye was an indication that there was no divine intervention, since the eye is not perfect. This agrees with Analogous, who thinks that the lack of perfection precludes a perfect God. I think that this reasoning only indicates that the god who you think should exist does not. I agree with this.

Is the Darwinian model of "survival of the fittest" accepted as truth by the evolutionists on this board ?

Stratnerd

Is the Darwinian model of "survival of the fittest" accepted as truth by the evolutionists on this board ?

Bigot,

Let me venture a bit and suggest that most of the evolutionists on this board presuppose that there is no "Truth" in science. However, most of us are probably very confident that natural selection is important in shaping the planets diversity but it is, by no means, the only mechanism at work.

Analogous

Hello again Attention,
Very astute observations to which I concur wholeheartedly. Just to expand on what you've articulated, the theist who posits an intelligent designer on such analogy fails to consider the ramifications of postulating a watch, of all things. If we dismantle the watch, which any good researcher will do, we will discover it is constructed of very precise parts working synchronously to facilitate the tracking of an arbitrarily established increments of time based on the motions of our planet as it revolves around the its star. The creationist has to admit of a consistancy that allows such a standard to be established accurately. He then is forced to concede this consistency has been explained naturally via the concept of gravity, mass, thermodynamics and a host of other testable theories. He also has to concede that the materials from which this watch has been constructed also have been identified to have observable, verifiable attributes or properties that allow them to be molded, hold their shape, and used for practical purposes. He must also concede these factors occur quite naturally without need for an appeal to the supernatural.

He is forced to concede that apart from being randomly constructed, such an artifice was indeed intelligently built to serve a specific purpose. Along the way to wringing from him these concessions our creationist steps into his own trap of basing his claims on randomness vs. determined purpose...the false dichotomy.

What becomes apparent is his mis-applied connotation of randomness and his overly zealous appeal to purpose.

The creationist's use of "randomness" is quite different from the scientist's application of the same concept. For the scientist there is precious little randomness in nature. Everything has a cause. If a cause can be identified, the effect is no longer random but was determined by the factors inherent in the cause. This is what makes science pragmatic and allows for prediction. But this deterministic value is itself determined by random factors that apply more on a quantum level than anywhere else.

Because the scientist cannot possibly know the details of the collision of every quark leading up to a specific event, every such event will have a random factor that forces the scientist to explain as probability rather than absolutely. Thus he operates on an inductive frequency. The scientist can agree with the creationist that there is an extremely high probability factor that the watch did not assemble itself. But the scientist will agree for different reasons than the creationist. The creationist is led to declare godunnit. The scientist is led to man dunnit. The reason the two arrive at different hypotheticals is due primarily to the knowledge level of each. The scientists will know that the material from which the watch is constructed does not have the properties to self construct. The creationist will be looking at the complexity while the scientist will be looking at the material from which the complexity has been discovered. If the material does not match what the scientist knows about the properties of such material, he will conclude that this object is not constructed from materials with properties sufficient to allow it to self generate.

Another reason the scientist will conclude that the intelligence required to construct the watch could be derived entirely from man is because he also knows that man is the only verifiable organism capable of such creative complexity. To conclude a god at this point is unscientific.

Now the creationist points to complex bio-molecular machinery and makes the same claim while the scientist is quickly discovering that the material from which such organic structures are comprised does have the property of self generated complexity. This has been clinically demonstrated time and again. So it is not the scientist who is making an irrational leap but the theist.

Now let's consider the other half of the coin the creationist flips to determine if his god was here or not. The face of purpose. The creationist assumes that any and all complex structures have a purpose that transcends their existence. Every cloud, every treeline, every body of water has an appearance of both random fractal complexity and has also been "scientifically" determined to have a purpose. Unfortunately for the creationist the purpose has always been interpreted in relation to man...and not god. In fact, the existence of man is the only basic purpose for the existence of the question of an existant god. Thus the creationist assumes that to stumble upon a complex machine that serves a purpose to the survival of an organism, that purpose must have been externally assigned. The simple survivability of the organism is not enough of a reason for the creationist. Because his god has assigned a purpose for the existence of the creationist, he must therefore assume that the existence of all things must also require such assignment. That a thing can simply exist for no other reason than existence itself is quite beyond the intuitive functioning imagination of a theist. To him, every quark in the universe exists for a purpose greater than itself. The inner-connectivity of all things mitigate against extreme randomness and exterior purpose. To the mind unshackled from the supernatural, the existence of the universe is a brute fact and need not have any additional purpose. To such a mind the purpose can be ascribed scientifically, philosophically, morally, pragmatically or aesthetically. If we allow the creationist's purpose asignment, then all things which exist beyond our ability to observe can't even be said to exist. Thus we have entered the post modernist age where rational warrant has been tossed out the window and the theist is all too eager to embrace this if it serves his purpose.

Yes, if we stumble upon a watch in the woods we are quite rational in assuming an intelligent conscious force was responsible for that watch in that location at that time. Are we justified to assert a god here? Not at all. Would the scientist claim the watch assembled itself? Why would he make such an assinine assertion? The purpose for the existence of that watch at that place and time might never be discovered. Perhaps someone lost it? Perhaps someone left it there intentionally with a purpose of their for doing so which we'll likely never know? Perhaps the creationist planted it there to support his belief in a supernatural explanation and purpose for the existence of existence. All we can really do is determine what the watch is made of and decide if nature itself could have constructed it.

If it was constructed by a man, and man was constructed by nature, then we could say it was naturally constructed. Can we say that, without falling into the trap of assuming naturally constructed man demands that nature give an account of her purpose for constructing man? Certainly, **** happens. Considering the heavier elements, of which carbon is one, was constructed in the furnace of the stars, you could say we are the fecal matter of stars. Is there a purpose for matter to behave in a specific way as to lead to self generated complexity? Not that anyone has ever been able to verify beyond the imagination of religion. Does man need an external purpose for his existence? Not unless he's unable to ascribe any purpose of his own. But everytime a man breaths, eats, sleeps, dreams, thinks, works, plays, replicates, and creates...he's writing his own purpose, even if he imagines there's a reason for his existence that transcends his existence. He can't escape the matrix. He can only live, die, feed the worms and be forgotten...unless he can do something to be remembered by. If he doesn't, that makes no difference to the universe. Somebody will because they always have. The only clock man need concern himself with is his own biological clock. That's all the time he gets. But science has enabled man to buy some extra time. Man has effectively doubled the average lifespan in the last 200 years due, primarily, to science.

Those are my thoughts on the matter and are subject, as always, to correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.