Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
BATTLE TALK ~ Battle Royale IV - JALTUS vs. s9s27s54

You may want to reserve your voting until the battle has developed.

But feel free to discuss the battle here!

JustAChristian

Only the Autograph Copies are Inspired.

Only the Autograph Copies are Inspired.

The only inspired text of the Scriptures are the autograph copies. All other are translations or copies of manscripts and uninspired. It may have been that the authors of the epistles and gospel accounts may have made additional copies, in which case these would have been inspired.

JustAChristian

P

Pilgrimagain

not hardly, A PhD candidate in Koine Greek is most likely to present the best textual evidence. I think Jaltus is going to take this one and never have to life a folding chair once.

JackS

Can I vote first? Just to prove most people just vote the side they already believe. The vote really boils down to a poll of the beliefs of the members.

JackS

I still want to know how the KJV can be inspired when it can't even get the 10 commandments correct?

It's murder, the 6th commandment is you shall not murder. I cringe whenever I see Thou shalt not kill.

sarah073076

:confused: Why is it that there are so many versions of the bible? I mean the stuff started way before I was born and now it seems that it is going to conitue for my child and that scares me. Truely does, it is like we don't even give God a chance to speak in our lives without have a bunch of bs shoved down our throat. Don't get me wrong I do believe in God but for the most part religions only confuse me. I do believe that He will always let me know through a simple thought or a person that he is there. love your self and love your neighbor.

Y

Yxboom

But forums like TOL will cease to exist if there were not written word and I don't think Knight, Jaltus or I would have any of that.

Hisown

I have always used many Bible translations as one will be clearer at times than the others. Usually I stick with the NIV but I have been known to use Living Bible as well as the Jerusalem Bible. I have also read the Mormon Bible and I am always looking for a better way to understand His word.;)

Hisown

The Holy Bible is inspired by God, the men that wrote the Book or translate it are men of God. When I read the words of the prophets I can tell that they were inspired of God and they still mean the same today as yesterday and beyond. He has written the words in my heart so that I might not sin against him.:)

Y

Yxboom

So would that be the KJV or the Book Of Mormon? I couldn't make any sense of what you said.

CrossWayPub

I find it interesting that the Pilgirms would not allow a copy of the KJV on their ships when they came to settle the New World. They said it was too corrupted by the translators who were under the authority of King James and therefore feared for thier safety if they wrote something he did not like.
They opted for William Tyndale's translation called the Geneva Bible a newer translation of the Wycliff Bible of 1380. Tyndale was hung by church leaders because he had the audacity to translate the Holy Writ into English.
Funny how things change. Now the KJV is seen by some as the only inspired translation of the Holy Scriptures. Fortunately my God is able to raise up translators in every generation who love the original text and wish to share its meaning with others in all languages.

AJ4Yeshua

the KJV or the Book Of Mormon

the KJV or the Book Of Mormon

Yxboom

Heyyyyy. Long time no hear. :thumb:

Actually, the Mormons have their own Bible out now. It's the KJV with their own doctrinal twists. But of course, their biggest saying about the inspiration of the Bible, "As long as it is translated correctly." still remains. Even for their own version. Go figure. If they can't even trust their own version, they're in bigger trouble then they know. As if they weren't already. :crackup:

As a matter of fact, last week a young teen and a bit older one (Mormon Missionaries) came to my door to talk to me about their Church and Christ. The older one stepped next door to talk to a neighbor and let the young one to talk to me. Well, he started talking about John 3:16, and I asked him if he was sure that was an inspired Scripture. He said of course it was. Then I showed him where his own Bible said, "As long as it is translated correctly." The look on his face was the classic deer caught in a cars headlights. Poor guy. When the older one caught up with the younger, his reaction was :doh: Doh! I'll bet the two of them stayed together like Siamese twins the rest of the day.

Y

Yxboom

Re: the KJV or the Book Of Mormon

Re: the KJV or the Book Of Mormon

Originally posted by AJ4Yeshua
Yxboom

Heyyyyy. Long time no hear. :thumb:

Whoa....no kidding. How you been? Good to see you back Bible in hand and all :thumb:

I have often enjoyed LDS company and offered a drink to them although recently they have refrained from coming here? Curious. Oh well. It's all good.

Hopefully you gonna stick around and join us for a marraige ceremony for our fellow Supermoderator Goose and his lady in waiting, Lucybelle. ;)

AJ4Yeshua

Goose tying the knot? will wonders never cease!? couldn't have happened to a better sucker. :D

Congrats there Goose! :thumb:

drdeutsch

This should be mildly interesting... if not just embarrasing for s79... Sorry, but I forgot how it goes. I got into a bit of textual criticism with Jaltus on the "God is not an OV'er" thread and barely managed to keep my head above water, so to speak.

Anyway, I do look forward to the battle and wish both the candidates good luck.

By the way, Jaltus, there's absolutely nothing wrong with double negatives. For strict schoolmarms, perhaps, but it's merely prescriptive grammar. In fact, double negatives were widely employed in Chaucer's time and are still the rage in modern French (e.g. Je ne sais pas, where both "ne" and "pas" are negations).

Not to be a nitpicker, but I've been reading The Language Instinct by Steven Pinker. Fascinating stuff.

God bless,
Dr. Deutsch

Status
Not open for further replies.