Battle Royale VII Specific discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freak

Originally posted by Turbo

Why the double standard, Freak?

Before jumping the gun re-read my most recent posts:

Futhermore, lets give Bob the benefit of the doubt and say that what he really meant is that when missionaries convert pagan women they are readily reasserting their modesty.

Even then we have found that is not always true. Generally speaking, yes, but not always. Santification (ex--ones understanding of modesty, etc) does not occur overnight and often times these woman are not readily reasserting their modesty after coming to Jesus. For they believe their culture, as Flipper pointed out, allows them the acceptance of their immodest appearance.

So either way, Turbo, Bob is still in error and promoting an inaccurate view of reality. Ha!

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Then so were you when you said, "Yes, a life changes (including ones modesty) when you come to Christ... "

You didn't mention any exceptions.

Last edited:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I thought we were really getting somewhere when we cleared up the misunderstanding of Bob's statement.:bang:

Freak

"So tribesmen can adopt minimalist clothing and condition their women to go topless, but missionaries find that women in such cultures readily reassert their modesty."

Is this statement mirror reality and truth absolutely?

I'm telling you NO!!!!

Freak

Then so were you when you said, "Yes, a life changes (including ones modesty) when you come to Christ... "

But again what did I say, when someone comes to Christ ones understanding of modesty doesn't occur readily as Bob stated. It is completely untrue! From our experience we have found that not to be the case.

Freak

Regardless, Bob stated:

In rejecting God, an individual or societal conscience can be seared and values lowered. So tribesmen can adopt minimalist clothing and condition their women to go topless, but missionaries find that women in such cultures readily reassert their modesty. Behaviors that are characteristically human, which are unlike those in the animal kingdom from which we supposedly evolved just a short time ago, testify to a morality of human nature imposed upon us by the Creator.

Bob basically tells us that "missionaries find that women in such cultures (what kind of culture you may ask? A culture that rejects God) readily (which I know to be false from what I have seen & heard) reassert their modesty."

The facts are:

Missionaries (for I come from a family of missionaries in Western Africa) do not find "women" readily (even after conversion due to cultural issues, etc) reasserting their modesty.

Bob has not traveled extensively in the third world so he does not not speak from first hand knowledge as I do.

Bob has not told us who these missionaries were that he gather his information from.

Bob, I'm calling on you to retract your statement.

Turbo deal with the facts.....

Vitamin J

Originally posted by Freak
But again what did I say, when someone comes to Christ ones understanding of modesty doesn't occur readily as Bob stated. It is completely untrue! From our experience we have found that not to be the case.
Is that an absolute statement?

Does it apply to every missionary and every native universally?

No you say?

Then why do you demand Bob's statement be absolute and apply in EVERY situation? And then to call him a liar beacuse his evidence does not match your anecdotal evidence? Thats really a pathetic line of reasoning.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. "

Is this statement absolutely true in every instance? Or are there exceptions, where although parents properly train their child, the child (having free will) still rebels.

Even if there are exceptions, is the statement true (generally)?

PLEASE do not blow me off by accusing me of changing the subject.

Freak

Originally posted by Vitamin J
Then why do you demand Bob's statement be absolute and apply in EVERY situation?

Answer the question, Vitamin. Is Bob's statement in question absolutely true?

And then to call him a liar beacuse his evidence does not match your anecdotal evidence?

I believe he is wrong because it doesn't line up with truth.

Vitamin J

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. "

Is this statement absolutely true in every instance? Or are there exceptions, where although parents properly train their children, the children (having free will) still rebel.

Even if there are exceptions, is the statement true (generally)?

PLEASE do not blow me off by accusing me of changing the subject.
Turbo, that line of thought is WAAAAYYYYYY over Freaks head.

But I respect you for trying. :D

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Freak (I must admit, it seems weird to address a Christian that way),

I've emailed a few missionaries/local pastors in Africa asking their opinoins on this question. I realize that you expect that I should take your understanding as the last word on the topic, but I don't even know you. Also, these missionaries are in another time zone, and I imagine are busy, and since they have no idea of how desperate you are for me to respond to you, they probably have no sense of urgency about the matter. I did manage to reach the long-time executive director of the Things To Come missions board in Indianapolis who has traveled to Africa. From my phone conversation with him this morning:

Dir: “Children who grow up in a culture without clothes of course become conditioned to live that way. But when a person is saved, I will tell you this, that modesty does come back.

Inserted from Freak's Post: "Yes, a life changes (including one's modesty) when you come to Christ..."

Bob to Freak: That sounds a lot like what the missions director said.

From Freak again: "Yes, a life changes (including one's modesty) when you come to Christ, but the fact remains that pagan topless tribeswomen do not readily assert their modesty.

Bob to Freak: "do not readily assert their modesty" except for when they are saved, as you and the director pointed out.

Bob to Dir: Is such public nudity mostly in the villages, or equally in the larger cities?

Dir: In my experience, it is mostly in the villages.

Bob: Why is there more modesty in the cities?

Dir: I think that is because of influence. The city has a testimony to the world.”

Bob to Freak: Freak, do you agree that the nudity is mostly in the villages? I'd like to know from your experience. When you indicated "Even in Cotonou (which is the captial) you'll see many of the women topless (like in the marketplace)" that seemed to confirm what the director said, and the impression I've picked up over the years that tribal nudity where it persists is mostly in villages. Can you please let us know if that is the case or not?

Also, when you accuse me of lying about this you mean that I am not mistaken, but I knowingly made an untrue statement intending to deceive. Freak, you wrote:

* "I am informing Bob that his claim... is an outright lie."
* "this lie must be exposed."
* "Bob being exposed as being one promoting a lie."
* "This is a bold face lie! Repent Bob."

Of course I couldn't possibly looking into every claim in these threads that disagrees with the arguments I am making. For example, Jeremiah commented obviously referring to DNA and genetics that humans can never reproduce and a woman give birth to a fish, and then bmyers countered that "Strictly speaking, 'science' …has not 'proved'" Jeremiah's claim, and that a human mother giving birth to a fish is not impossible but just "very, very unlikely!" So, many of the disagreements in the threads are worthless. I took yours as worth investigating because you are a Christian, and because you were speaking from firsthand knowledge. So, even though the issue is about the smallest point made in a lengthy debate, I still judged it as worth checking. I have supported missionaries over the years, I have spoken at length with our missionary friends when they visit, our dear friends Mike and Loretta went to Africa for a couple years as missionaries, and right now I am working with Kenyan nationals who are translating The Plot into Swahili (kiswahili). And over the years, we have discussed this issue, and I have been under the impression that:
* Christian influence has made some significant cultural impact regarding modesty
* that while toplessness exists in many villages, there are also many places where women have taken to covering up
* and that toplessness is much more common in villages which resist missionary activity than it is elsewhere
* and that toplessness is less common in the larger cities, which have a greater mix of influences, including that of Christianity, all of which can exert a wider influence on behavior.

At any rate, if I am convinced that I am wrong in all this (I'm still looking for more information), I would make a correction in the debate itself, so that I do not mislead others in the future who may read it, yet never see these threads. I don't understand why you would think that I would intentionally present false evidence? And if you are incline just to think that I am a liar, even then, why would I present lies that could so easily be exposed? Yes, I know that Nat'l Geographic (the liberals who have stolen the cultural treasures of so many nations) is obsessed with photographing naked women in the name of culture. Did you really think that I was saying that there is no longer any public nudity in the world? When we go to Hana to visit our friends in Maui, we have to avoid one beach because the natives (I mean the tourists from Cincinnati and Dallas) sunbathe topless there. You didn't hurt my feelings accusing me of lying (unfortunately, I have grown extremely thick skin), but I just don't understand the glee with which you have relished in this matter.

Finally Freak, you wrote, "If that is what he meant [that women influenced by the Gospel reassert their modesty] then he could have easily explained that to me but instead he played the game--let me check your list of nations you have visited (that kind of thing). It seemed to me (and others by the way) that Bob was merely trying to avoid the truth."

Freak, in my first question to you, I wanted to find out if you would refer to the larger cities, or mostly to villages. That's why I asked you for countries, and for locales, in that first question. For, if you told me that toplessness is extremely common in all the major cities in the swath of Africa you've traveled to, then I would have to look more carefully at my impression of a cultural difference between the cities vs. the villages. Also, I thought I might be able to check with missionaries in the same locales to get their input. By the way, here is my last question for you (I really want your answers): how about tribal women who have become Christian, and have dressed modestly for a couple years. Do you think if a local man sees a Christian woman, or perhaps a few of them, and asks her (or them) to take off their tops, do you think he would have an easy go of it? If not, wouldn't you say that this is some evidence that even though "tribesmen can adopt minimalist clothing and condition their women to go topless... missionaries find that women in such cultures readily reassert their modesty."

So if I become convinced that my understanding is incorrect, and that my friend who is the director of this missions board is also incorrect (which of course is a possibility), then I will note that in the debate and post a correction here.

Sincerely, -Bob Enyart

Freak

For the Record: I do not believe Bob is a liar. But I do believe his statements in question is dead wrong and have proved to be. Bob, as a brother in Christ, I do apologize if I have offended you with my comments. Now, I'm asking you to humble yourself. Futhermore, I believe Bob to be a servant for Jesus

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Answer the question, Vitamin. Is Bob's statement in question absolutely true?
He did answer by offering an example of a similar question to you and anticipated your answer.

He even put it in bold.

Vitamin J

Deal with my facts.
You have no facts other than anecdotal evidence.

And if Bob has nothing more than anecdotal evidence we should go to the source - THE BIBLE!

The Bible tells us that because man sinned and was seperated from God in the Garden. Men (and women) are now ashamed of their nakedness. Men and women seek a covering which is symbolic for needing Christ as a covering for our sin - yet another pointer to our Lord.

As I have already posted....

BEFORE SIN:
And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed. - Genesis 2:25

AFTER SIN:
Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves coverings.

So he said, "I heard Your voice in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid myself." - Genesis 3:7&10

Freak your anecdotal evidence is interesting for sure but it does not constitute FACT. It merely shows your own personal experience. You have failed in every possible way to bolster your argument with any other type of evidence. You fail to answer direct questions and you tirelessly attempt to deflect the error in your reasoning which is clear.

Flipper

Yes, the city and the shanty town, that testimony to modesty and Christian belief. Everyone knows that cities are the most Christian places.

It wouldn't be anything to do with different economic opportunities, civil and business requirements, or just needing a place to carry your identity card/money/etc? Besides, cities have a different social hierarchy and there's perhaps more of a need to prove yourself as a person of comparative wealth and culture.

Besides, I've seen women walking around topless in Lusaka, for what that's worth. They didn't look too ashamed.

Flipper

Also, when you accuse me of lying about this you mean that I am not mistaken, but I knowingly made an untrue statement intending to deceive. Freak, you wrote:

I don't think you're lying. I just think you're easy on the truth when it doesn't suit you. Deliberately so.

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Freak, thank you for the conciliatory tone in your last post. But I do want to comment on your apology (which might make things worse).
When I apologize, I don't put an "if" in there. I apologize for what I have done, not for what others do. Further, an apology "if I offended you," is really saying, "if you misunderstood me" which really is furthering any insult. If you are sorry, all you have to say is, I'm sorry for calling you a liar without cause.
God bless you, -Bob

Bill Clinton

For the sake of science I would like to volunteer myself to do some research on this topic. Can you all point the to the specify villages and towns of these immodest natives?

For science of course.... :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.