BAKERY OWNER STATES; "LET THEM NOT EAT CAKE!"

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
While I disagree with the baker in regards to homosexuality, IMO, as a business owner, he has the right to refuse service for any reason he sees fit.

There are other bakeries ... let them go elsewhere. It works to the benefit of the couple as well. Why have their wedding marred by utilizing a business that does wish them well?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
While I disagree with the baker in regards to homosexuality, IMO, as a business owner, he has the right to refuse service for any reason he sees fit.

There are other bakeries ... let them go elsewhere. It works to the benefit of the couple as well. Why have their wedding marred by utilizing a business that does wish them well?

If one goes in and buys a quart of milk and a loaf of bread do they actually care if the store owner wishes them well?? I think people
just go in the store to purchase their items and be on their way!

If I go in a store, I don't bother thinking if the guy at the cash register likes me or not!!

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Should we institute "separate bakeries" for homosexuals and heterosexuals??

No ... we should allow the owners of privately owned businesses the freedom to do business as well as refuse business to whomever their little hearts desire.

Should I have to serve Fred Phelp or some other undesirables who hates me on the basis of my gender, religion, POV's, marital status, etc? Or IF I know someone has been convicted of or accused of child or spousal abuse should I be made to serve them?

I would flat out refuse service ...

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
No ... we should allow the owners of privately owned businesses the freedom to do business as well as refuse business to whomever their little hearts desire.

Should I have to serve Fred Phelp or some other undesirables who hates me on the basis of my gender, religion, POV's, marital status, etc? Or IF I know someone has been convicted of or accused of child or spousal abuse should I be made to serve them?

I would flat out refuse service ...

Would you think it's okay to not serve a black couple or other minority?? Or, redheads, one legged people, or short people??

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If one goes in and buys a quart of milk and a loaf of bread do they actually care if the store owner wishes them well??

Maybe, maybe not. I am speaking of privately owned businesses such as the bakery.

I think people just go in the store to purchase their items and be on their way!

It really depends on the person. I don't go into business IF I know I immensely dislike the owner or one of their employees.

If I go in a store, I don't bother thinking if the guy at the cash register likes me or not!!

When I go to a store, I actually DO consider whether or not I agree with their business practices (what I know of them) and the type of employees they knowingly hire.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Maybe, maybe not. I am speaking of privately owned businesses such as the bakery.

It really depends on the person. I don't go into business IF I know I immensely dislike the owner or one of their employees.

When I go to a store, I actually DO consider whether or not I agree with their business practices (what I know of them) and the type of employees they knowingly hire.

I respect your position! I personally don't put that much thought into going into a business and purchasing what I need!

Quincy

Should we institute "separate bakeries" for homosexuals and
heterosexuals??

Certainly!! I want to know where I can purchase the fabulous cake!!!

:chuckle:

Seriously though, it's a dumb business decision. Which if people want to discriminate that's fine, that's their business. Let them refuse to offer service to the couple but that doesn't change the fact it's a stupid business practice. Plus it's still discrimination. Before some says it's not, discrimination means making a distinction positively or negatively towards a group as a whole without considering individual merit. These two homosexuals may be hardworking, intelligent citizens who abide by the law. Let them eat cake.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As long as the money is green, why would a business turn away profit? Unless someone was being uncivil and causing a disturbance!!

Because we are all human beings with our own biases ...

The only way for me to let some lowlife domestic abuser know that I believe he is despicable is by refusing to serve him.

Yes, I get it. There are those who would utilize this right for what some might consider reasons of bigotry, however, when you pick and choose based on what you feel is petty or justified, you open up the door to losing your own rights.

Personally, I WOULD bake the cake, but it's not my bakery nor is it my money that opened the bakery.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I'm very tall and if I came into a store and was told they wouldn't serve me for that reason, I wouldn'like it!! Because of their "bias" they needlessly lost profit, and that's not good business! Racism, bigotry, and religious legalism doesn't
make for good business practice!!

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Certainly!! I want to know where I can purchase the fabulous cake!!!

:chuckle:

Seriously though, it's a dumb business decision. Which if people want to discriminate that's fine, that's their business. Let them refuse to offer service to the couple but that doesn't change the fact it's a stupid business practice. Plus it's still discrimination. Before some says it's not, discrimination means making a distinction positively or negatively towards a group as a whole without considering individual merit. These two homosexuals may be hardworking, intelligent citizens who abide by the law. Let them eat cake.

Good post!!

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I respect your position! I personally don't put that much thought into going into a business and purchasing what I need!

If I happen to read or see something publicized about a business that makes me go "whoa ... that's not right" then at that point, I will no longer use that business.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm very tall and if I came into a store and was told they wouldn't serve me for that reason, I wouldn'like it!! Because of their "bias" they needlessly lost profit, and that's not good business! Racism, bigotry, and religious legalism doesn't
make for good business practice!!

I agree ... but just think of it from the owner's perspective. What if he is a midget ... OR what if he is really short and was needlessly tormented by tall people when he was growing up. He sees you and almost hyperventilates! Have mercy on we short people, GM!!!

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Because we are all human beings with our own biases ...

The only way for me to let some lowlife domestic abuser know that I believe he is despicable is by refusing to serve him.

Yes, I get it. There are those who would utilize this right for what some might consider reasons of bigotry, however, when you pick and choose based on what you feel is petty or justified, you open up the door to losing your own rights.

Personally, I WOULD bake the cake, but it's not my bakery nor is it my money that opened the bakery.

The problem is; if carried to its furthest extent, everybody would be utilizing their sorted bias, and some would refuse Jews, Blacks, Asians, Muslims, Christians, midgets, redheads, blonds, bearded individuals, etc., and our financial system would degenerate!!