Lucky

Hall of Fame
Why are they called avatars anyways???

Webster's define avatars as....

Hinduism a god appearing on earth in bodily form; incarnation of a god

If the word "avatar" is rooted in hinduism, what the heck is it doing being used at a Christian forum? I realize that's what they are called at all the other forums, is there anything else we could call them that's not so hinduish?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I suppose "icon" would work, but it has some of the same problems associated with "avatar."

Despite its origin, "avatar" seems to have taken on a distinctive "tech jargon" meaning.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=avatar

Some of the other definitions are not specifically tied to Hinduism.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:chuckle:

I ought to get back to work on my actual animated spidey sometime soon. It might end up too big though. We'll see.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
...and this one. This one was a Norman Rockwell painting I happened to find, with a pose that was similar to my Bill Murray avatar.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is a reason for that...

I took that photo myself, with my left arm stretched out holding the camera. (The perils of living alone.) I'm lucky it turned out as well as it did, but most of my hair was out of the frame. The top of the photo runs right along the bottom of the letter in my avatar, right at my hairline. I didn't want to put too much effort into redrawing my hair, so I just drew in a little bit to fill out the area behind and above the letters.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
HAHA! I never even thought of it as a "Loser" sign. I thought it was a gun sign.

Maybe I could arrange that... but we left our digital camera in PA. :doh:

Goose

Well, it looks like the digitaly edited the one of Bill Murry. Just find a hand with the loser sign and paste it in there. :)

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thanks. I like it too. It looks a little more interesting this way.

Goose

Originally posted by philosophizer
Wow, why have I never seen this thread? Must be an oldy.

Here's one of my old ones. It was actually my 3rd avatar.
I like how you made that avatar "evolve". :)