Asteroid and Meteoroid Not a Coincidence

fool

Hall of Fame
Moons around asteroids.

That's cool, lets talk about Ceres;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceres_(dwarf_planet)

Dawn is going to arrive there in 2015.
Maybe she'll have a moon.

The best thing about being an American is the knowledge that you have robot probes studying dwarf planets you didn't even know existed until you read an article about your probe that you got going there.

That and having enough nukes to sterilize the entire planet 5 times over.

And the drones, the drones are nice.

We have half of the aircraft carriers on the planet.
If EVERYONE on Earth declared war on us it would be 1 to 1 on aircraft carriers.

If there's a rock on Mars that gives us the stink eye we got a asset ready to vaporize it with a laser.

But I digress.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Can anyone speak as to why the various missle defense systems didn't see this coming?
They can track ICBMs, and then they can track the smaller MRVs that come out of the ICBMs.
But a rock the size of a bus just slips right thru?
They missed a bus?
Reminds me of what was said in the movie Armageddon, with Bruce Willis and the asteroid coming to earth.

The Presidents asks:
We didn't see this thing coming?

Dan Truman, answers:
Well, our object collision budget's a million dollars. That allows us to track about 3% of the sky, and beg'n your pardon sir, but it's a big-*** sky.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What density was that, Professor? The post you are replying to doesn't appear to mention it.
From the movie:

President:
"How big are we talking about?"

NASA tech:
"Sir, our best estimate is 97.6 billion --" (interrupted)

Dan Truman:
"It's the size of TEXAS, Mr. President."

Lordkalvan

From the movie:

President:
"How big are we talking about?"

NASA tech:
"Sir, our best estimate is 97.6 billion --" (interrupted)

Dan Truman:
"It's the size of TEXAS, Mr. President."
Okay, but that doesn't tell me its density. Unless you're trying to tell me something about Texas, of course. :think:

Frayed Knot

Gas molecules captured by asteroids or released by icy asteroids became their temporary atmospheres. Asteroids with thick atmospheres sometimes captured smaller asteroids as moons.

Uhh, no. This person is saying that a tiny asteroid had enough of an atmosphere that it would capture another asteroid as a moon, due to the friction of that atmosphere?

Is this the quality of Walt Brown's work? It's just nuts! Planets don't even have enough of an atmosphere to capture moons. Any gas molecules that started hanging out with an asteroid would soon get enough thermal energy to reach escape velocity, and be gone forever.

Seriously, this is one of the most idiotic, scientifically illiterate things I've ever read.

Lordkalvan

Uhh, no. This person is saying that a tiny asteroid had enough of an atmosphere that it would capture another asteroid as a moon, due to the friction of that atmosphere?

Is this the quality of Walt Brown's work? It's just nuts! Planets don't even have enough of an atmosphere to capture moons. Any gas molecules that started hanging out with an asteroid would soon get enough thermal energy to reach escape velocity, and be gone forever.

Seriously, this is one of the most idiotic, scientifically illiterate things I've ever read.
That's what I thought, but so far the Professor seems seriously reluctant to follow up anything he has posted in this thread with reasoned, substantive argument. So I don't expect this observation to result in anything more than further cheer leading for Wally's hydropants' 'theory'.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Uhh, no. This person is saying that a tiny asteroid had enough of an atmosphere that it would capture another asteroid as a moon, due to the friction of that atmosphere?Is this the quality of Walt Brown's work? It's just nuts! Planets don't even have enough of an atmosphere to capture moons. Any gas molecules that started hanging out with an asteroid would soon get enough thermal energy to reach escape velocity, and be gone forever. Seriously, this is one of the most idiotic, scientifically illiterate things I've ever read.

Do you understand where the atmosphere came from?

And do you have a workable alternative?

Frayed Knot

Do you understand where the atmosphere came from?
I understand that Walt is claiming that there would be water vapor and other gas molecules that were somehow ejected from the Earth, but he doesn't address the fact that a tiny asteroid (yes, a 1000-foot wide asteroid is tiny) couldn't hold an atmosphere at all.