Status
Not open for further replies.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
See above.

Knight,

What do you do with 1Cor. 12?
1Co 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
1Co 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
1Co 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

Do you just say that we are not in that dispensation?

Kevin

C

cattyfan

Are we about due for another theme week?

I would like to suggest avatars representing summer blockbuster movies...no other time of year. Just summer of any year. (people can google to find something if they can't think of one.

:bannana:

In the interest of being helpful, here is a list of movies considered to be blockbusters:

Grease
Dirty Dancing
ET
Ghost Busters
Spiderman 1 & 2
Jaws
Indian Summer
Independence Day
Men in Black
Star Wars
The Muppet Movie
The Empire Strikes Back
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Return of the Jedi
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Back to the Future
Top Gun
Beverly Hills Cop 2
Batman
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Ghost
Terminator 2
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Batman Returns
Lethal Weapon 3
Jurassic Park
The Lion King
Forrest Gump
Batman Forever
Apollo 13
Twister
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Armageddon
Saving Private Ryan
Face/Off
Bridges of Madison County
My Best Friend’s Wedding
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Moulin Rouge
The Blair Witch Project
Gladiator
Mission Impossible 2
The Mummy Returns
Shrek
Star Wars: Attack of the Bad Actors…er..I mean Clones

The Berean

Knight,

What are the primary reasons atheists reject God? Scripture says:

The fool has said in his heart,
"There is no God."
They are corrupt, and have done abominable iniquity;
There is none who does good. -Psalms 53:1

Ummmm....Have I answered my own question? CleverDan

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
kmoney said:
Knight,

What do you do with 1Cor. 12?

Kevin
God gave the ability of signs and gifts to specific men for specific reasons, namely as proof or as a sign that they were who they claimed to be and therefore those hearing and seeing them should believe them. Naturally you can imagine why many people would wonder why they couldn't speak in tongues or why they couldn't perform healings or why they couldn't prophesy like the apostles. They might also wonder why Paul and the others were doing less and less of this type of stuff as part of their ministry.

That is what Paul is explaining in 1 Corinthians 12 though 14 and he also explains why such signs and gifts would soon be no longer needed.

1 Corinthians 12:1
Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant: 2 You know that you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led. 3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit. 4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills. 12 For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body — whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free — and have all been made to drink into one Spirit. 14 For in fact the body is not one member but many. 15 If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where would be the smelling? 18 But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased. 19 And if they were all one member, where would the body be? 20 But now indeed there are many members, yet one body. 21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22 No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary. 23 And those members of the body which we think to be less honorable, on these we bestow greater honor; and our unpresentable parts have greater modesty, 24 but our presentable parts have no need. But God composed the body, having given greater honor to that part which lacks it, 25 that there should be no schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another. 26 And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it. 27 Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. 28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.
1 Corinthians 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. 4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. 13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
1 Corinthians 14:1 Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. 3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification. 6 But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you unless I speak to you either by revelation, by knowledge, by prophesying, or by teaching? 7 Even things without life, whether flute or harp, when they make a sound, unless they make a distinction in the sounds, how will it be known what is piped or played? 8 For if the trumpet makes an uncertain sound, who will prepare himself for battle? 9 So likewise you, unless you utter by the tongue words easy to understand, how will it be known what is spoken? For you will be speaking into the air. 10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of languages in the world, and none of them is without significance.11 Therefore, if I do not know the meaning of the language, I shall be a foreigner to him who speaks, and he who speaks will be a foreigner to me. 12 Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the edification of the church that you seek to excel. 13 Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding. 16 Otherwise, if you bless with the spirit, how will he who occupies the place of the uninformed say “Amen” at your giving of thanks, since he does not understand what you say?17 For you indeed give thanks well, but the other is not edified. 18 I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all; 19 yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue. 20 Brethren, do not be children in understanding; however, in malice be babes, but in understanding be mature. 21 In the law it is written: “With men of other tongues and other lips I will speak to this people; And yet, for all that, they will not hear Me,” says the Lord. 22 Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe. 23 Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those who are uninformed or unbelievers, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an uninformed person comes in, he is convinced by all, he is convicted by all. 25 And thus the secrets of his heart are revealed; and so, falling down on his face, he will worship God and report that God is truly among you. 26 How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. 28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God. 29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge. 30 But if anything is revealed to another who sits by, let the first keep silent. 31 For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged. 32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33 For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Berean said:
Knight,

What are the primary reasons atheists reject God? Scripture says:

The fool has said in his heart,
"There is no God."
They are corrupt, and have done abominable iniquity;
There is none who does good. -Psalms 53:1
Yet why does the atheist say in his heart there is no God?

I would assert that ultimately its pride, and the unwillingness to humble oneself to anyone else but themselves.

Proverbs 11:2 When pride comes, then comes shame; But with the humble is wisdom.

Proverbs 14:3 In the mouth of a fool is a rod of pride, But the lips of the wise will preserve them.

Proverbs 29:23 A man’s pride will bring him low, But the humble in spirit will retain honor.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
Yet why does the atheist say in his heart there is no God?

I would assert that ultimately its pride, and the unwillingness to humble oneself to anyone else but themselves.

Proverbs 11:2 When pride comes, then comes shame; But with the humble is wisdom.

Proverbs 14:3 In the mouth of a fool is a rod of pride, But the lips of the wise will preserve them.

Proverbs 29:23 A man’s pride will bring him low, But the humble in spirit will retain honor.
I believe you are correct. I have yet to meet the atheist who did not think that he is here to save the rest of us.

The Berean

Frank Ernest said:
I believe you are correct. I have yet to meet the atheist who did not think that he is here to save the rest of us.

An interesting point that I agree with. I recently posted this on TOL about James Randi, a noted skeptic and atheist. The article is about a skeptic's convention call the Amazing 3 Conference. The article is written by another skeptic and what he witnessed at the convention:

The theme of the Amazing 3 Conference, sponsored by the James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF), was succinctly expressed by keynote speaker and Skeptic magazine editor, Michael Shermer: “We’re selling science.” From the get-go, the 500-plus participants at the conference, held at the Stardust Hotel in Las Vegas, were repeatedly reminded that it’s all about science. At the media workshop that kicked it off, magician Andrew Mayne defined the goal of skepticism as the use of the scientific process to understand the world. He added that this is the opposite of dogmatism. In his “points to remember,” he noted that skepticism is not cynicism and that skeptics must be open-minded. “If you have evidence,” he said, “bring it on.”

So it’s ironic that actual science was hardly touched on. Instead it was one speaker after another reinforcing the conceit, almost universal among conference participants, that they are the enlightened ones, that they are charged with the burden of defending sense against nonsense, that they alone can be counted on to stand their ground against the tide of irrationalism that threatens to engulf our civilization and undo all the gains that have been wrought in the name of Science. Even scientists themselves, it turns out, are no match for the diabolical paranormalists. Only skeptics, educated by James “Amazing” Randi and other magicians, are capable of spotting the tricks of the trade. “Scientists are easily fooled,” explained Randi, “because they think they know.” But only skeptics really know.

Communicating Skepticism to the Public, the manual handed out at the media workshop, contains a brief passage that illustrates the gulf between science and the skeptics. In part three, “The Media Skeptic: Encouraging a skeptical media attitude,” we learn how to become a media authority: “Becoming an expert is a pretty simple procedure; tell people you’re an expert. After you do that, all you have to do is maintain appearances and not give them a reason to believe you’re not.”
source: http://www.skepticalinvestigations.org/exam/Dace_amazing3.htm

The second bolded section really made me laugh.

On Fire

"In part three, “The Media Skeptic: Encouraging a skeptical media attitude,” we learn how to become a media authority: “Becoming an expert is a pretty simple procedure; tell people you’re an expert. After you do that, all you have to do is maintain appearances and not give them a reason to believe you’re not.”

:darwinsm: They must all come here to practice.

The Berean

Knight said:
Whoa . . . this is a tough one.

I think Trekkies may still hold the title.

Whoa...Don't let Trekkers hear you call them Trekkies! That's like a racial epitaph to them. I learned the hard way...

ShadowMaid

The Berean said:
Whoa...Don't let Trekkers hear you call them Trekkies! That's like a racial epitaph to them. I learned the hard way...

That's... bizarre.... :freak:

So uhh... Knight, what's the weather like?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
In today's dispensation? No.

Healing was part of God's fulfillment of prophecy for His people and the arrival of Christ. Healing was a sign.

Therefore . . .
the faith healers you see today are frauds and turn millions away from Christ.

Knight,

Just to clarify...Are you making a blanket statement that healing NEVER happens? Or are you saying that no one has the GIFT of healing?

Kevin

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
kmoney said:
Knight,

Just to clarify...Are you making a blanket statement that healing NEVER happens? Or are you saying that no one has the GIFT of healing?

Kevin
Again, healing was a sign, a credential for the apostles.

There is no longer a need for a credential of that sort.

The Berean

Knight said:
Again, healing was a sign, a credential for the apostles.

There is no longer a need for a credential of that sort.

Same question as kmoney, kind of. Is there a difference between the gift of healing as described in the NT and God healing today in response to prayer? For the record I believe there is. The gift of healing is no longer available but God still heals... :bow:

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Berean said:
\

Same question as kmoeny, kind of. Is there a difference between the gift of healing as described in the NT and God healing today in response to prayer? For the record I believe there is. The gift of healing is not longer available but God still heals... :bow:
Ultimately no.

The gift of healing was done by God through one of His followers.

Therefore the only difference would be in delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.