Ask Knight (Archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janus

Banus
Banned
Dearest knight,
The reason why your skins go 'pruney' is to to do with salinity and osmosis. Profesional swimmers don't get this problem too often their body and skin adapts to the problem.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Mr. 5020

Still says, "dearest Knight."
It kinda sounds like one of those made-up Hallmark holidays, like "Sweetest Day."

Janus

Banus
Banned
Ok for the second time of typing it went something along the lines of the 'pruny' thing is to do with the salinity of the water and osmosis. Professional swimmers don't get it often and you have to be in the sea a LONG time to get it. More eloquently put last time but the message must have got lost. Here's hoping. . .

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Janus

Ok for the second time of typing it went something along the lines of the 'pruny' thing is to do with the salinity of the water and osmosis. Professional swimmers don't get it often and you have to be in the sea a LONG time to get it. More eloquently put last time but the message must have got lost. Here's hoping. . .
Sounds good!

I was just makin' up my answer anyway. :)

Anne

But the big Catholic lady down here says that the Bible says "brothers" because there is no Greek word for "cousin." What say you?
I would say that is nonsense.

What about the following verse in Luke 1:36
"And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren"

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Anne

I would say that is nonsense.

What about the following verse in Luke 1:36
"And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren"
:thumb: I was looking for that! But the NKJV says "relative" (still not sister), so I missed it.

But I did find this:
  • Aristarchus my fellow prisoner greets you, with Mark the cousin of Barnabas (about whom you received instructions: if he comes to you, welcome him), Colossians 4:10

It's probably the same Greek work used in Luke 1. I'll check. :poly:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Turbo

But I did find this:
  • Aristarchus my fellow prisoner greets you, with Mark the cousin of Barnabas (about whom you received instructions: if he comes to you, welcome him), Colossians 4:10

It's probably the same Greek work used in Luke 1. I'll check. :poly:
Actually, they're different. So there are (at least) two different greek words that can mean "cousin" or "relative."

I think the Catholic say that there was no Aramaic word for cousin/relative, and since it was the spoken language, the Gospel writers recorded the Greek accordingly. But that obviously wasn't the case since Luke did not call Elisabeth Mary's sister.

julie21

A question that may seem a bit odd, but coming from Oz, I know that quite often, George W Jnr is referred to as 'Dubya'. Can you explain this to me? I've looked for definitions on the Net but n explanation is really forthcoming. Honestly haven't got a clue [ and I am far from stupid]and really am interested.
Hope someone can answer this post.
If maybe you could answer the last one as well, it would be good.[re 40 Days of Purpose]

SOTK

julie21,

W=dubya (or short for W anyways) :) Get it? So basically, people are referring to the President by his middle initial.

julie21

:doh: :doh: :doh:
Honestly...I'm not dumb!...but
HOW ON THIS EARTH DID I NOT WORK THAT ONE OUT???
Pronunciation is a great thing in hindsight -not Dubya as in Dubai, but as in Duba-ya. It's all in the American accent!

Thanks SOTK...any chance we can wipe this one outta sight???
[I can pay if neccesary.];)

SOTK

Originally posted by julie21

:doh: :doh: :doh:
Honestly...I'm not dumb!...but
HOW ON THIS EARTH DID I NOT WORK THAT ONE OUT???
Pronunciation is a great thing in hindsight -not Dubya as in Dubai, but as in Duba-ya. It's all in the American accent!

Thanks SOTK...any chance we can wipe this one outta sight???
[I can pay if neccesary.];)

:chuckle:

No problem! Considering you come from another country, it wasn't really that dumb of a question. :)

C

cattyfan

It would help if people would enunciate. the letter is actually "double yoo."

Status
Not open for further replies.