Ask Knight (Archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Have you ever tried any of the Unix flavors? (Besides the FreeBSD "Darwin" core powering that Mac OS X of yours.)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by poogle

We agree that according to the defination John Doe would not have free will. Not sure if you saw my original hypothetical situation but I gave that answer for you in that post.

I disagree with you that the time machine itself is the constraining device. I could have traveled into the future, not observed John Doe at all and I think you would agree with me that John Doe would then have free will. Therefore the time machine itself is not the constraining device. Do you agree with me on that?

We both agreed that by the definition of free will, John Doe would not have free will as the only choice he would be able to make is the original choice I observed him making.

Would you say that John Doe had true free will when he made his original choices before I observed him making them?
John Doe didn't make ANY choices before you observed him.

In fact he wasn't even alive! :)

I think it's really important that we keep the entire hypothetical in context.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Lucky

Have you ever tried any of the Unix flavors? (Besides the FreeBSD "Darwin" core powering that Mac OS X of yours.)
No I haven't.

If I had to use a Intel machine daily I would most certainly want to try some of those "flavors".

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Knight

I think I am caught up now. :D
Well, let's do something about this shall we? :D

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Because God predestined him to. :D
:darwinsm: :thumb:

Lucky

Hall of Fame

If I had to use a Intel machine daily I would most certainly want to try some of those "flavors".
:up:

Linux has more flavors than Baskin Robbins.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Feel free to delete those old Windows screenshots in the gallery.
They're kinda embarrasing. :chuckle:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Lucky

Feel free to delete those old Windows screenshots in the gallery.
They're kinda embarrasing. :chuckle:
Oh no no my friend.... you have to live with your mistakes here at TOL. :D

LightSon

Knight,
Assuming that you have a high level of control over the TOL software, would it be possible to disable (or hide) the "Quick Reply" box in the case that a thread is closed? I got burned this morning, spending several minutes composing a quick reply in the "CROSS" thread only to have it flushed into oblivion. After the fact, I see that the POST REPLY button was changed to CLOSED. If you have that level of control, surely you can disable the "Quick Reply" box, so as not to lure me into wasting time. :)
Just a suggestion that maybe you can put on the back burner. Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.