ARGH!!! Calvinism makes me furious!!!

sentientsynth

SA,

Again, I apologize that I didn't respond to the totality of your previous post. Please understand my reasoning: that I wish to narrow in upon foundational issues. Thanks.

This seems redundant to me (it seems to be a truism). When you say that "God is the truth and that the truth does not contradict itself" it is like saying that God is truth and God is not a non-truth.
Yes! What I’m saying is so basic, so undeniable, that it almost seems silly to state, doesn’t it?

You read what I write and think, “Well….DUH.” Guess what? So do I!!

What were your words again? You said it better than I have yet.

… God is truth and God is not a non-truth.

Of course that’s true. How could it not be?

We’re going to call what you’ve written “Self-Evident Truth #1” or just “SET1”, for short.

As we’ve established this as true, we could deem it a “law.” I propose that we call SET1 “the theological law of the non-contradiction of God.”

Do you object to this?

What is the significance in making such a statement, unless you want to give a reality to the "non-truth"?
Oh no, it's not at all an attempt to “give reality to the ‘non-truth’”, but to *codify* a self-evident truth, namely SET1.

In response to my second question, you voiced the same concern, saying....

Once again, do you understand the qualms I have with the way in which you are stating this? God's revelation to us cannot be defined by the "contradictions."

Yes! I do understand the issue you are raising. So please know that I’m not trying to “ give a reality to the "non-truth." I agree that “God’s revelation to us cannot be defined by the ‘contradictions’.”

I’m saying that God’s revelation possesses truth, and that, by logical necessity, God’s revelation does not possess non-truth.

Would you agree?

Seekinganswers, I’m glad that you and I can have a nice, calm chat. You’re a super-cool guy.

SS

sentientsynth

godrulz said:
Is the fact that I am named William (true) necessarily grounded in God or would it still be true even if God did not exist?
Godrulz, allow me to reiterate.

God is the foundation of all truth. He is the only reason that a thing called "truth" exists. If God didn't exist, you wouldn't even be here, much less have a name.

I'll repeat: God is the foundation of all truth. Every example qualifies.

Have a nice day...

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
sentientsynth said:

God is the foundation of all truth. He is the only reason that a thing called "truth" exists. If God didn't exist, you wouldn't even be here, much less have a name.

Have a nice day...

So if truth were relative in God's case, truth would really have no meaning at all, since He is the foundation of all truth.

An example could be if God told us homosexuality was an abomination to Him but also planned every instance of it for His own glory. We would be totally confused because God told us He hates it, but then planned it out in every case. He would either have to be lying, or since He is the foundation of truth, truth must be relative, and actually meaningless.

If truth is relative, God could rightly set up homos like bowling pins to pad His judgement based glory score, but if truth has meaning and He truly hates the abomination I don't see how He could abide actually planning every instance of it. That would be like hustling a pool game. I can't see God cheating/lying like that.

Paul heads off the sillyness of the wicked using the idea that our unrighteousness shows and praises God's righteousness to excuse themselves from judgement. (Romans 3:5) But if God planned all unrighteousness to commend His righteousness in the first place, imagine how silly Paul will feel when He discovers his error there, in assuming truth is absolute.

:up: I agree and insist that truth actually has meaning and is absolute because God is the foundation of it, and anyone who disagrees will be found a liar. God will prevail and be found just when judged for His words, instead of being accused of a double standard.. (Romans 3:4)

:) SS, this is one of my big problems with the settled view. Couldn't resist the oppurtunity to jump in. Do I make sense here, or am I missing something?

Last edited:

sentientsynth

Hey Vaq,

I'm not sure of your use of Romans 3. It'll be tomorrow, or the day after next before I get a full reply done.

Sign into YIM if you want to chat a sec.

SS

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
seekinganswers said:
Repentance is not something over which you can boast. If you can elevate yourself above me, you have not repented at all. You have just delluded yourself into thinking that you are better than you are.

You never gave me a chance. You like the Muslims and Christendom before you have tried to be an invasion on me (by coersive power), so that either I agree with you or I am your enemy that can be killed (or in your case that can be insulted and made fun of and condescended to). If I had truly been an "idiot" as you have so gracefully put it, you never would have responded to me in the first place. Instead, in labelling me an idiot you have only proven your own idiocy.

Whether you agree with me or not, Clete, you are my brother, and I will never call you my enemy, but my friend (even if you decide to excommunicate me). And though we may enrage one another, I am still called to love you because that is Christ's command to me (as it is to all his followers), and it is the very example of his life that I have seen lived out by my brothers and sisters in Christ (even in you). Debate is not worth it if this testimony of Christ in us cannot be lived out within it.

Peace,
Michael
Very well, I will over look the hypocrisy implicit in this post and assume once again that somehow I am (seemingly continually) the one who misunderstood you and not the other way around and will give you yet another chance to rescue yourself from the dark recesses of total irrationality.

This I completely agree with, Godrulz (something that does not happen often between you and I). But the reason I agree is the fact that you place revelation first and logic second. Logic is not the overarching structure for the Creation in what you have said, God is the one in whom the Creation is grounded. And you have not tried to asign a logic to God, but you have imbedded it within humanity (our response), and God's "logic" is revelational (which means it does not fit into the Creation). God is other than the Creation, and so God must invade this Creation; he does not submit to its logic as if God could be confined by the Creation. God is the one who sets the bounds of Creation, not the one who is bounded by it.

There are a couple of things here. First of all I would like for you to establish that logic was created or is part of the creation, however you want to put it. On what day was logic created?

Second, I do not put either revelation or logic "first". You seem to think that I do, and you couldn't be further from the truth. That would sort of be like putting justice before love or love before righteousness. It makes no sense, they are essencially the same thing. You see it is important that you understand that I DO NOT believe that everything that can be known can begin found out by simply the use of logic, that is not my belief at all! On the contrary! There is much that is way past our ever finding out without God revealing to us. But, (and this is the critical point) God's revelation, if it is true (which of course it will be), must be logical. It will be logical for two related reasons: First, because God is logical and, in fact, is the very source of logic and reason, and second, because that which is true is logical by definition. The second reason comes as a result of the first. That is, the fact that truth is logical is because God, who is logical, is truth. In fact the Bible uses logic as a title or name of God. Just as God is love and God is righteousness, God is also logic. He is the very definition; the absolute personification of logic (John 1:1). If this were not so then we could not be logic in the first place any more than there would be absolute right and wrong if God were not righteous. In fact, "right and wrong" is merely the moral application of "truth and error" (i.e. logic).

I look forward to your reasoned response.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

seekinganswers

sentientsynth said:
SA,

Again, I apologize that I didn't respond to the totality of your previous post. Please understand my reasoning: that I wish to narrow in upon foundational issues. Thanks.

Yes! What I’m saying is so basic, so undeniable, that it almost seems silly to state, doesn’t it?

You read what I write and think, “Well….DUH.” Guess what? So do I!!

What were your words again? You said it better than I have yet.

… God is truth and God is not a non-truth.

Of course that’s true. How could it not be?

We’re going to call what you’ve written “Self-Evident Truth #1” or just “SET1”, for short.

As we’ve established this as true, we could deem it a “law.” I propose that we call SET1 “the theological law of the non-contradiction of God.”

Do you object to this?

I would actually establish two posits:

1. God is truth

2. Anything not grounded in God as truth is a lie (the absence of truth).

These are two statements, which do not allow us to define God by condradiction (because as I said before, I would never define light by calling it non-darkness). I define a lie by the truth, but I will not define truth by a lie. It is the "law" (I prefer instruction) of God as God, not the law of God as evident in God's own non-contradiction. God is what God is; we cannot define God by what he is not, for we are the one's who are a lie when we define God in this way. God is, period.

sentientsynth said:
Oh no, it's not at all an attempt to “give reality to the ‘non-truth’”, but to *codify* a self-evident truth, namely SET1.

In response to my second question, you voiced the same concern, saying....

Once again, do you understand the qualms I have with the way in which you are stating this? God's revelation to us cannot be defined by the "contradictions."

Yes! I do understand the issue you are raising. So please know that I’m not trying to “ give a reality to the "non-truth." I agree that “God’s revelation to us cannot be defined by the ‘contradictions’.”

I’m saying that God’s revelation possesses truth, and that, by logical necessity, God’s revelation does not possess non-truth.

Would you agree?

God's revelation does not possess truth, it is truth. Anything which is grounded in God is truth. This is a third posit I would make. So altogether:

1. God and what God has created and to which God gives life is truth.

2. Anything that is not grounded the truth is a lie.

3. God's revelation perfectly reflects the truth of God to us, so that it is truth as well (for God's revelation to us is God's very self, Jesus the Christ; God's revelation does not merely possess truth, it is truth, just as Christ is the truth).

sentientsynth said:
Seekinganswers, I’m glad that you and I can have a nice, calm chat. You’re a super-cool guy.

I too am glad that we can discuss in a more peacable manner. Thank you for calming me down.

Peace,
Michael

godrulz

Hall of Fame
sentientsynth said:

Have a nice day...

It is not profound to say that I would not exist apart from God. God is the foundation of all truth, but that does not mean that man did not creatively name the animals or make cars that are not based on divine revelation. I would distinguish spiritual truth/revelation from mundane things like making a watch that could be done even if there was no God (assuming evolution...God can be totally uninvolved in some things we now do, so I would not say He is the source of all truth...it is true that I am typing creative thoughts without God causing my fingers to move or revealing truth to me...since you do not agree that my ideas have truth).

In your intellectual philosophizing, you are throwing common sense out the window. There is a difference between revelatory truth and facts like moving a chess piece that are not divine nor spiritual issues (man invents chess, plays the game, makes the moves without God's truth or intervention...saying we would not be here to do this is true and accepted...but it does not conflict with saying that some mundane things are true without specifically being revelatory, spiritual truth from God).

seekinganswers

Clete said:
Very well, I will over look the hypocrisy implicit in this post and assume once again that somehow I am (seemingly continually) the one who misunderstood you and not the other way around and will give you yet another chance to rescue yourself from the dark recesses of total irrationality.

Thank you.

Clete said:
There are a couple of things here. First of all I would like for you to establish that logic was created or is part of the creation, however you want to put it. On what day was logic created?

Logic was created in the first three days, where God makes space for life; space is the grounding for the Created order; God makes light (and orders that light in day and night, where greater lights reign in the day and lesser lights in the night); light is the realm of the heavenly bodies (things that had life in the ancient world); God created the air and the seas which God fills with birds and sea creatures; God makes the land and inhabits the land with animals and human beings. Logic is the grounding space in which the Creation which is other than God is able to respond to God's Creation (which culminates in rest and worship on the Shabat of the seventh day.

Without space there is no logic (for there is nothing other than God without space; there is chaos and darkness that "reigns," which can only be defined in the presence of God's Spirit which is wind and breath and life). Logic is the grounding for how we realate to God, and since we have a beginning (a head), there is no logic before the Creation. Once God makes space for the other, that is when logic is produced (when things can begin to relate to one another and to God). Of course, once again, logic is not a universal for me, so in this context it is the very form which the Creation takes. Animals have a logic that governs them as do humans (in their will), while the Creation as a whole is governed by the logic of God's will. Logic is a multiplicity in the scriptures that united only in love (God's will and Jesus' will are not the same; our will is not absorbed into God's will when we submit to God; we remain distinct from God, and love allows the wills to be brought into harmony, the logics to be brought into peace with one another

Clete said:
Second, I do not put either revelation or logic "first". You seem to think that I do, and you couldn't be further from the truth. That would sort of be like putting justice before love or love before righteousness. It makes no sense, they are essencially the same thing.

You see, I do see an order between justice and love. God's love precedes justice (for it is love that produces justice not vice versa). God is equated to love within the scriptures, not to justice. So God's Son is sent before the rectification (dikaiosyne) of the world. God's love produces a space for life (justice). Justice is contingent upon love, not vice versa. So before the Christian is concerned about dikaiosyne he or she is much more concerned with love (for love must come first, and only within that grounding can justice be produced). In a very real way the disciple of Christ is the grounding for justice in this world only in as much as the disciple is grounded in love (that is love for God first and love for the neighbor). Love is grounded ontologically in itself (for God is love); justice is grounded contingently in that love, so that what is justice is grounded in love (what is rectified is contingent upon the love of God). We become God's righteousness as we submit ourselves to God's love (just as Christ is the dikaiosyne of God.

Agape and dikaiosyne are not the same in the scriptures. One is an initial action entirely grounded in God the Creator, the other is how humans are called to respond to that love (even as love begins to define them).

Clete said:
You see it is important that you understand that I DO NOT believe that everything that can be known can begin found out by simply the use of logic, that is not my belief at all! On the contrary! There is much that is way past our ever finding out without God revealing to us. But, (and this is the critical point) God's revelation, if it is true (which of course it will be), must be logical.

When you say that God is the source of revelation, I don't doubt that this is very much your understanding of the world (no Christian could deny it). But when you go on to submit revelation to logic, you have succeeded in subverting it to the unified logic that has been envisioned by humanity in our Modern age (Logic as a singular and "rational" approach to the world is a Modern ideal, it is not a biblical one). The work of the Spirit (revelation) is hardly singular or unified in itself (like the Muslims would have us believe). It is expressed in a plethora of gatherings of people, who understand the world in very different ways, and yet are unified in Christ (the revelation is always incarnate, united to the contingencies of those to whom it comes; and if it is to be carried on, it cannot be divorced from those contingencies for we only know God as incarnate, not in God's invisibility; the Spirit is known by the fruit it produces, not within itself). Even within the canon of the scriptures you find this clash of logic (the worldview of the ancients is not the same worldview held by the writers of the New Testament, and certainly neither one of them is anything like our Modern understanding of the world around us. Logics and rationalities change throughout time, for that is the nature of humanity, which is here today and gone tomorrow. Empires rise up for a time in their greatness, and are destined to wane once again, fading into the dust of history. Our mortality constantly reminds us that we are mortal and even dependant upon God for continued life; we are not eternal but contingent beings on this planet.

Clete said:
It will be logical for two related reasons: First, because God is logical and, in fact, is the very source of logic and reason, and second, because that which is true is logical by definition.

What does it mean for God to be logical? Are you going to subject God to a set of rules and limits that make God finite? Logic requires finitude in order for it to work (there have to be limits in order for us to approach the world in a rational manner; closed systems are the joys of science, and the headache of science and the scientific method and rational approaches are multiple variants that cannot be controlled). So to talk about God as logical is to set limits about God. Even though you do not define those limits they are still very much there; and by using the term logical you set those limits not only around God but around the Creation as well (uniting both God and the Creation within the same limits). God is not a finite being. God is eternal and God is Spirit (Spirit being by definition a lack of boundaries that are well defined in the flesh).

Truth is not defined by logic; truth is defined by life and by breath and by the Spirit; God is truth, not logical assertions.

Clete said:
The second reason comes as a result of the first. That is, the fact that truth is logical is because God, who is logical, is truth.

God is truth! That is the posit that is given to us in the scriptures. It is not qualified by anything else. Whether God is logical or not, God is truth (for all of reality consists in God).

You make an assumption that I am not willing to agree with. You define God as logical, and that is a statement I have yet to comprehend let alone conceed. What does it mean for us to define God by God's limits? It only assumes that we have seen the world around us and thought that this world is just as real as God, in itself, and we have conceived of another manifestation of God that we must protect ourselves from. The God of nominalist theology (the omni-God) is a God who seems to be able to go either way, for we assume that goodness and evil are equally based in their own ontologies (and that power is a neutral reality that can be used for either good or for evil). We define evil within itself, so that evil takes on a substance of its own, then we project this onto God.

The problem is that our ontology is messed up so that it also messes up our view of God. Evil has no ontology (it has no reality). The only way in which evil gains substance is parasitically through the Creation. Evil is the lacking of good, it is not the opposite (anymore than 0 is the opposite of infinity; the opposite of infinity is negative infinity). And as soon as we give evil an ontology, we submit ourselves to a view of the world that is not Christian. There is a reason why eastern values are becoming so popular among the people of the west, because this ontological breakdown has led us to affirm the reality of evil as much as we affirm the reality of good, and in fact, we have shed all values, so that evil and good become a subjective matter that is really only a reflection of one's own values.

To define God as logical for me is as absurd as defining God as "non-contradictory." We define God by the Creation, rather than seeing that the opposite must be true; we only have reality in as much as we are grounded in God, and when we cease to be grounded in God we cease to have reality (we are corrupted; we die; we are destroyed). Sin is not the opposite of the good; sin is the absence of it.

So I do not want to talk about God as "logical." God is God; anything is a lie. God is self-defined (not defined by limits we try to tease out of God).

Clete said:
In fact the Bible uses logic as a title or name of God. Just as God is love and God is righteousness, God is also logic. He is the very definition; the absolute personification of logic (John 1:1). If this were not so then we could not be logic in the first place any more than there would be absolute right and wrong if God were not righteous. In fact, "right and wrong" is merely the moral application of "truth and error" (i.e. logic).

Once again, you fail to see why I detest your exegisis of John. When John speaks of logos, it is not a universal and singular logical framework for the world and for God; logos is Jesus of Nazareth who proceeds from the Father in the incarnation within Mary's womb, who walks and talks with his disciples on the earth, who is killed and who is raised, who ascended to the Father and who will come again. Logos is forever incarnate (made flesh) for us. It is never to be abstracted into logic, for logic by definition cannot face the world in an incarnate matter, but must always abstract the world into simplified truths that easy to manipulate and to handle.

Peace,
Michael

seekinganswers

godrulz said:
It is not profound to say that I would not exist apart from God. God is the foundation of all truth, but that does not mean that man did not creatively name the animals or make cars that are not based on divine revelation. I would distinguish spiritual truth/revelation from mundane things like making a watch that could be done even if there was no God (assuming evolution...God can be totally uninvolved in some things we now do, so I would not say He is the source of all truth...it is true that I am typing creative thoughts without God causing my fingers to move or revealing truth to me...since you do not agree that my ideas have truth).

It is this distinction that once again submits itself to the old Greek ordering of the cosmos into a Spirit world and a mundane world. Spirit has potential (for it is eternal and unchanging), while flesh is corruptible (it is contingent and degraded).

Flesh in the scriptures is no longer considered to be mundane; flesh is imbued with life, life which is from the Spirit. Do you have any idea what is the inspiration of invention? It is not some novelty of human creativity; invention has always been modeled after the Creation itself. We do not conceive of new ideas, but we are able to look to the Creation, to see how it works, and use those inventions taken from the Creation itself for our own purposes (whether those purposes submit themselves to God and God's purpose, or whether they try to be something else).

Today, the cutting-edge of technological advance is coming through nano-tech, which is modelled after the living cell. We cannot create new life; life is always from God, and if we ignore that source, we end up corrupting life and ultimately destroying it.

Did you ever consider the fact that when Adam names the animals that names are grounded in language for the Hebrews? When you name something it is not a place-holder, but it is the mark of acheivement and defining of what something is. So Adam didn't create his own language; Adam learned language from God (who was the first one to speak in the Creation) and uses that giftedness of language to respond to what God has already made. Human art is not something novel; it is always a reflection of what is already present in the Created order.

Peace,
Michael

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Seeking/Clete: I can't follow your arguments (not trying very hard)...

Does seeking believe that logic was created during the creation week? Was love or emotions created for God? God is personal. This includes will, intellect, emotions. Just as love is an aspect of the uncreated Creator, why would rational experience/principles have to come into existence only at creation?

Does Clete believe that logic/logos is essentially a part of God's being from all eternity? I still would not substitute logic for logos in Jn. 1:1 (though we understand some of the background of the logos concept....however, it was applied with expanded meaning when applied to the eternal Word, the Lord Jesus).

It seems to me that an Intelligent, omniscient God inherently operates rationally and logically. Creation merely reflects His wisdom, knowledge, design, intelligence, logic, etc. Creation does not bring logic/intelligence into existence, since logic is conceptual/principles, not material things that can be created. The law of non-contradiction, etc. should be fundamental, even for the triune God before creation.
Supernatural things are not illogical...they are merely above the natural realm, but logically consistent with God's character and attributes.

As an aside, I wonder if there is some parallel with lex rex vs rex lex (is the King Law, or is the Law King? Does God operate 'subject' to a universal law of love and good based on His being or can He make up arbitrary laws because He is omnipotent and sovereign...just because He can? I think lex rex is the defensible view)?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Seeking: I still object to assuming a spirit/flesh dichotomy (understood in perspective in Scripture vs platonic ideas) over things like McDonald's food wrappers. Is a child scribbling 'art' that is reflected in creation and sourced in God's being or is it a random, 'creative' thing that has little to do with spirit/flesh/God? I would not spiritualize or over-philosophize simple things to maintain a pseudo-intellectual stance. :help:

seekinganswers

godrulz said:
Seeking: I still object to assuming a spirit/flesh dichotomy (understood in perspective in Scripture vs platonic ideas) over things like McDonald's food wrappers. Is a child scribbling 'art' that is reflected in creation and sourced in God's being or is it a random, 'creative' thing that has little to do with spirit/flesh/God? I would not spiritualize or over-philosophize simple things to maintain a pseudo-intellectual stance. :help:

I'm not engaged in a pseudo-intellectual debate. When a child draws a child never draws anything that is new or novel. From the crayons used, to the wrapper itself, to the image that takes shape on the page, the child is not "creating" something. The child is grounded in the very created order and cannot transcend it (the child cannot create as God creates). I am not denying that their is something unique about the drawing (as any mother will tell you), but it is not a creation as such. The reality of the child is unintelligible outside of God (as is life outside of the Spirit). The life of the child is grounded in God (as are the realities of the paper, which is produced from a tree, and the crayon which comes from other products of the earth). You and I can only create from the realities that are around us (that pariticipate in God's reality, God's ordering of them). So our creations are not creations unto themselves, they are always reflections of God's own creation (just as we reflect God).

Peace,
Michael

seekinganswers

godrulz said:
Seeking/Clete: I can't follow your arguments (not trying very hard)...

Does seeking believe that logic was created during the creation week? Was love or emotions created for God? God is personal. This includes will, intellect, emotions. Just as love is an aspect of the uncreated Creator, why would rational experience/principles have to come into existence only at creation?

First of all, love is not an emotion (that gets confused often).

Secondly, intellect, emotions, ect. can only be defined by physical attributes. Someone is not sad because there is some invisible reality of sadness that has taken hold of them from within (this is a very neo-platonic view of emotion, for Plato himself connected the emotions to carnality and the passions of the flesh). It is a gutwrenching response (someone has to have guts to wrench) to become sad. Sadness requires physical actions that produce a physical response (tears, downtrodden facial expressions, ect.) (note that sadness in the Hebrew is expressed in this very physical manner, which can only be symbolic, unless you ascribe physicality to the God of Spirit). To be sad is also an expression of a reality that runs deeper than the physical actions involved. Sadness is an expression of reality that is harmed, an expression of incorruptibility (for the life that has reality cries out to be heard; it has a voice in the midst of voicelessness). Sadness ceases when one is dead (for one cannot be sad outside of a body; one cannot be sad when life has been taken from the body). Death is the result of sadness unheaded by others (which only demonstrates their own corrupt nature).

When you equate love to an emotion, that is where you make the mistake, for emotions are grounded in physicality (that which is corruptible and fleeting), while love is grounded in God (who is eternal and incorruptible). Love is not something that is grounded in the concreteness of the Creation first, but is grounded in the Trinity (in God himself). Love is the procession of the three in one God, where the Son and the Spirit proceed from the Father and return to him in praise. Creation gets wrapped up in this love that grounded in God, so that the Creation proceeds from the Father as well (through the Son and the Spirit) and is returned to the Father in worship and praise. All other emotions are grounded in that reality of love (for if they are not, they cease to be anything of substance). Sadness is grounded in the Creation, which responds to the void of reality that is the faceless corrporation, the power-grabbing tyrant, or the money hoarding elitist that looks to his or her neighbor and sees no reality in them. Sadness gives presence to what is and shows everything else for what it truly is. Only the most cold and heartless (empty) of people cannot see the reality of their neighbor. Sadness is an expression of that reality.

Emotions and will and intelect must be rooted in something else. They are not pre-existent. The only thing that might pre-exist other than God is love, for love is the very expression of the Trinity (God is love, and nothing that is love can be found outside of God).

Peace,
Michael

godrulz

Hall of Fame
'Love OR emotions' (examples)...I do not believe love is an emotion. God has always had will, intellect, emotions since He has always been relational (triune) and personal. Let's not get lost in metaphysical mumbo jumbo. God is not an impersonal cosmic blob and did not become personal/relational only at creation.

seekinganswers

godrulz said:
'Love OR emotions' (examples)...I do not believe love is an emotion. God has always had will, intellect, emotions since He has always been relational (triune) and personal. Let's not get lost in metaphysical mumbo jumbo. God is not an impersonal cosmic blob and did not become personal/relational only at creation.

Emotions by definition are relational. Emotion are a communication based in non-verbal signs.

So my question to you is how do you think God was angry before there was the Creation? Was God "sad" in Godself? Was God proud of his own acheivements (which would have been...?)? Was God annoyed? Such anthropomorphisms just have no basis, because we assume that God experiences Gods own self in the ways we do. God does not. Emotions come as God responds to the Creation (a Creation that is not eternal). Thus emotions are a human characteristic (even an animal characteristic); they cannot be attributed to God, unless you speak of God relating to the world.

You don't need emotions to be personal; emotions are not grounded in the comfortor, but are grounded in the one who needs comfort. So God is not just sad along with the Israelites who are being slaughtered by the Pharaoh. God heeds their cries and acts. God doesn't respond to Cain in his anger with an anger of his own; he gives advice to Cain so as not to allow sin to overtake him in his anger (though Cain does not heed the advice). When Saul takes too much pride in his kingship over Israel, God humbles him. Emotions are not something that God need share with us (accept he does, because he is not so other so that we become something distinct from God; but's God closeness to us moves beyond empathy into compassion (moving from shared emotions to a shared suffering; God becomes incarnate).

God is not an impersonal blob because God has emotions and intellect, ect. God is God, because God is triune, and in that multiplicity of God that is in harmony, there is love (love which is not an emotion or feeling, but love that is made a reality in God.

Peace,
Michael

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Were the triune relations void of passion, emotion, love, etc. until creation? Not all emotions were felt by God in the tranquility of eternity. Grief was introduced to the heart of God at the Fall, not before creation. Just because many emotions were not experienced before creation, does not mean that no emotion existed in God's heart. Emotions, good and bad, are a response to thoughts and circumstances. They are not self-generated (so not moral, per se). The Father heart of God is passionate. The triune God experienced joy within His relations. An impassible God is a platonic God, not the Living God.

seekinganswers

godrulz said:
Were the triune relations void of passion, emotion, love, etc. until creation? Not all emotions were felt by God in the tranquility of eternity. Grief was introduced to the heart of God at the Fall, not before creation. Just because many emotions were not experienced before creation, does not mean that no emotion existed in God's heart. Emotions, good and bad, are a response to thoughts and circumstances. They are not self-generated (so not moral, per se). The Father heart of God is passionate. The triune God experienced joy within His relations. An impassible God is a platonic God, not the Living God.

You have in your rejection of Plato embraced the neo-platonism of our modern era. Are emotions grounded in something other than their being lived out? Are you saying that God is defined potentially rather than actually? If you are, then God's potential is only fulfilled in the Creation. God cannot be sad until the Creation comes about; God cannot be angry until there is a Creation against which to be angry. Does the Creation complete God (by turning what is potential into actuality)? I don't think so. God is not potential being; God is actual.

Furthermore, I detest your depiction of emotion. It is a hallmark sentimentality grounded in the dramatic stories told on Operah's show. Emotion becomes centered within the individual, and in so doing becomes a corruption of emotion. Rather than being an expression of reality the emotions become sources of pride and self-exaltation, so that they become so puffed-up that they cease to be emotional at all. Emotion is never about the self; emotion is always communicative (it tries to present the truth to the other). God wihin Godself is not other to Godself; the Father, Son and Spirit are one. There is no need for communication from one to the other, for they are not other.

Emotions that are true evoke a response; they do not become what defines a person (unless you want to distort a person). Depression (sadness directed at the self) is a distortion of emotion, which no longer communicates sadness to the other but traps the person within their own sadness, as that person continues to degrade him or herself into nothingness (depression leads to self-destruction). True sadness conveys itself to the other, so as to present a reality to the other that the other would not have known. One cries and contorts the face to evoke a response (and what is amazing is that this communication for a child is learned before any word comes from the child's mouth). Humans do not have "feelings" (that is internal states of being); humans have emotions, that is ways of expressing suffering and joy so that the suffering joy can be shared (in either compassion or in rejoicing).

To say that God experiences emotion within Godself is to make the persons of the Trinity others to one another, and it is to disjoint the singular God. God is not other to Godself; God is one. We are the ones who are other to God (as members of the Creation). So emotions must always be focused on the other, for if they are not, they become self-dellusion. One emotes to express oneself to the other. God's emotions are the way in which God has expressed Godself to us to ellicit a response from us. God is not angry within Godself. God is angry toward a humanity that opresses the other and does not hear the other's cries (and God's anger, which is expressed in his wrath that comes against Egypt, desires that the Pharaoh would heed God's will and stop causing God's people to suffer). God is sad over Israel, because God has called Israel his cherished people, and they have despised him; God is sad that Israel might here his cries of mourning and be called to respond in repentance and love. God rejoices over the faithfulness of his people, because God invites them to share in that joy. Joy is not a warm, fuzzy, happy feeling inside of us. Joy is an invitation to the other to share in the abundance that one has.

You despise the impersonal Greek philosophical approaches to God, and yet you have embraced the impersonal liberalism that has enveloped "personality" within the self. To be personal is not to be ontologically a person (it is funny that in your definition of personal, you have reified the very stagnant platonism that you so despise; you have turned personality into an ontological reality that is stagnantly defined in the self). Personal is always grounded in the I/thou relationship, where there is both the self and the other who long to find peace (to be unified).

Peace,
Michael

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Granted, I have not thought this through on a philosophical level. The Bible portrays God as passible, not impassible. There is a place for the ivory tower, but on the basic character and attributes of God, we should affirm simple revelation.

You would like this book. It is as hard to understand as you are, but also contains key nuggets:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/083082734X/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-3642675-6705650#reader-link

(click next page for contents)

I figured out the problem: I'm stoopid :dunce: :idea: and u r smart