ARCHIVE:The 16 commandments at TheologyOnLine (OLD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paine

BANNED
Banned
Thou SHALL NOT be intentionally blasphemous or unnecessarily disruptive. We will ban you if you are presenting yourself as an unneeded distraction (yes this is subjective - live with it).

If I may say so, virtually anything posters such as myself say regarding our disbelief in God is typically considered blaspheme by the Christian population (as well as by your statement of faith, via implication), and therefore you are basically prohibiting any argument from many of us.
Just saying.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If I may say so, virtually anything posters such as myself say regarding our disbelief in God is typically considered blaspheme by the Christian population (as well as by your statement of faith, via implication), and therefore you are basically prohibiting any argument from many of us.
Just saying.
I think if you look around you will find that to not be the case.

Basically what this rule states is we are not going to allow people to say outlandish things like.... "Jesus was gay", or similar vulgar comments.

Paine

BANNED
Banned
I think if you look around you will find that to not be the case.

Basically what this rule states is we are not going to allow people to say outlandish things like.... "Jesus was gay", or similar vulgar comments.

Excuse me? There is legitimate argument for the homosexuality of Christ (I don't believe it personally, but that's irrelevant), and I have seen very interesting, genuine discussions over the subject in the past. You forget that there are a great deal of modern Christians who do not consider homosexuality to be sinful, and therefore they take no offense to the notion of a gay Jesus.
Again, just saying.

EDIT:
Unless, of course, you meant to refer to the term "gay" being used improperly as a derogatory insult. If that is the case, then I wholeheartedly agree, and I ask that you please ignore my above post.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Excuse me? There is legitimate argument for the homosexuality of Christ (I don't believe it personally, but that's irrelevant), and I have seen very interesting, genuine discussions over the subject in the past.
Good for you.

Would you like a door prize?

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Just saying.
Are you suggesting that any argument questioning the existence of God MUST contain slurs and insults?

Paine

BANNED
Banned
Are you suggesting that any argument questioning the existence of God MUST contain slurs and insults?

That depends entirely on whether one views a term/title to the degree of "sexist, bigotrous, racist, homicidal, homophobic maniac" to be insulting or just plain honest, seeing as I would say as much entirely without exaggeration.

Mr. 5020

That depends entirely on whether one views a term/title to the degree of "sexist, bigotrous, racist, homicidal, homophobic maniac" to be insulting or just plain honest, seeing as I would say as much entirely without exaggeration.
Translation: I'm going to see how much I can troll before I get banned.

Paine

BANNED
Banned
Translation: I'm going to see how much I can troll before I get banned.

If you would refer to my posting history on this site as "trolling," good sir/madam, then I would be rather amused to discover just what exactly you consider to be reasonable exemplary content.

In this particular instance I was merely questioning the authenticity and/or relevancy of a particular rule (taking note of how little it is apparently enforced), and answering a certain inquiry by another member while seizing hold of the opportunity to provide an example.

Interestingly enough, there seem to be many on these forums who consider mere proclamation of unbelief in God to be blatant blaspheme in and of itself, which would therefore (on the basis of what seems to be mandated by this rule list) necessitate the banning of the entire atheistic population of these forums - an action which would obviously bring an effective end to the majority of serious debate throughout the site.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Ok. You've fooled yourself into believing that self-serving twaddle. Now try to fool me into believing that. :chuckle:

lee_merrill

4. Thou shall not call other TOL members names without cause.
I wonder here if this could be a ticket to allow abusive name-calling, because virtually everyone who calls someone a name thinks it deserved--so this would not seem to prohibit any name-calling at all.

2 Timothy 2:24-25 And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Those who oppose him he must gently instruct...

I'm sorry to say I see no such standard being set in the forum requirements, nor indeed expected or required in practice here by the various moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.