ARCHIVE: Telling a lie can be righteous!

LivingDeadDoll

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
i did, but i shall go back and re read, and i was just asking, so re direct me if you think i am wrong, i am trying to learn. and i do this in between all my children needing something inccesantly so sometimes i get off track. i will re read and then we shall see, maybe i will still feel the same, maybe not...

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
OK. The opening post is well-written, and spells it out very clearly.

I was kind of thrown because you made reference to the Nazi/Jew scenario, so it sounded like you read the (whole) post. Let us know what you think after you re-read the opening post more thoroughly.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Turbo

:doh: I wish I had read this post before last July. I missed out!

So what did she cook for you?

Knight and Lion cooked us brunch. It was great! Not a single thing burnt either. And they had a houseful to cook for. I was impressed. :up:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LivingDeadDoll

so the midwives feared God in the fact that the king of Egypt was commanding them to do something un-godly?
Yes, and the lie they told Pharaoh to cover their tracks and to continue to be able to protect the babies was godly. They were wise and godly to deceive the murderous Pharaoh.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Poly

So what did she cook for you?

Knight and Lion cooked us brunch. It was great! Not a single thing burnt either. And they had a houseful to cook for. I was impressed. :up:
I don't remember whether she cooked for us. I remember Knight made smoked chicken one night, and grilled burgers another day.

julie21

"Thou shalt not kill"...even by default!
The midwives were adhering to this commandment of the Lord's, just as anyone lying to keep Jews from being slaughtered were adhering to the Commandment as well.
God does not want us to kill...either of our own volition, or by default, as these two scenarios were.
Therefore, I believe that these lies were entirely justified in the sight of God.

LivingDeadDoll

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Well, just so you know, my earlier question was purely out of curiosity of what others thought on that point. When i first read this thread i agreed with the thought that "thou shall not lie" was not a commandment and that lying depends on your reason for doing so. But i decided to go back and re read after you questioned me. :)

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by julie21

"Thou shalt not kill"...even by default!
The midwives were adhering to this commandment of the Lord's, just as anyone lying to keep Jews from being slaughtered were adhering to the Commandment as well.
God does not want us to kill...either of our own volition, or by default, as these two scenarios were.
Therefore, I believe that these lies were entirely justified in the sight of God.
Right, julie21. Knowingly giving a murderer information that he needs to commit his crime is to become an accessory to that murder.

(Though that commandment is better translated "You shall not murder." Like lying, sometimes killing is appropriate and righteous.)

LivingDeadDoll

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by Turbo

Right, julie21. Knowingly giving a murderer information that he needs to commit his crime is to become an accessory to that murder.

nice way to explain this point, i see exactly what you mean, and i agree.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I see you've started practicing the art of :spam: ing. :eek:

LivingDeadDoll

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
actually, i'm not sure how that happened, i tried to delete it but apparently i do not have that pleasure. sorry 'bout that.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LivingDeadDoll

actually, i'm not sure how that happened, i tried to delete it but apparently i do not have that pleasure. sorry 'bout that.:eek: :eek: :eek:

I thought they were the same post at first but I see that one says "mother" and one says "father".

LivingDeadDoll

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
yeah, all i did was try to change mother to father but when i was doing it i pressed something wrong i guess. i checked to see if the first one posted so that i didn't hog the thread up. but i guess i messed it up all together.
if you were inquiring as to why i changed it in the first place, it's because i am very analytical and even though it was just a joke, i thought better of it when i realized that my father taught me more about religion than my mother, so i tried to change it.

yes, i am ridiculous...

LivingDeadDoll

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
i honestly had to look at the top to remember what it even was...sorry!

Turbo - what would be an example of when killing is righteous?
(just curious)