ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Again, the statement fails when the existence of a Supreme Being is assumed. This is an argument from atheism. God can know whatever is impossible not to know. Nothing you have quoted or stated here or previously can be shown to have demonstrated the impossibility of God's necessary and free knowledge.

This is the openist attempt to redefine the terms omniscience and omnipotence, to define non-omniscient omniscience and non-omnipotent omnipotence. These are no-things that fail on philosophical and theological grounds.

Sentimentalities are insufficient as a basis for proper philospohical and theological argumentation. This is an attempt to slip in humanistic notions of God being able to change His mind, where no proper groundwork has been even attempted. Your sentiments ignore the absolute nature of a perfect Supreme Being.

Like classical theists influenced by Plato, you assume what God must be like and now must distort His self-revelation of attributes, character, and ways to fit your Calvinism. Everything else must be wrong.

I'm not impressed.

We both agree that God is omniscient. Saying this is to know all that is knowable is not unreasonable. Sorry, but this is unknowable until I do it90ewtger90jgoierjghoirjhoirjhi3j0=

Talk about the lowly and simple confounding the wise and learned.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This is the heart of the matter:

The model of God in Greek philosophy is sovereign and transcendent.

The biblical model proposed by OT is sovereign and immanent.
Indeed it is the heart of the matter, but not for what you then assert. The "heart of the matter" is the openist's emotion laden 'Greeks' attempt to levy a genetic fallacy. The actual Greek issue and the clear reliance of openism on that which they would decry has been discussed and laid to rest here. Indeed, the biblical model is that God is fully sovereign, transcendant and immanent. You just want to create a new dictionary to define these terms to support your own doctrine.

Pinnock: "We may think of God primarily as an aloof monarch, removed from the contingencies of the world, unchangeable in every aspect of being, as an all-determining and irresistible power, aware of everything that will ever happen and never taking risks. Or (OT), we may understand God as a caring parent with qualities of love and responsiveness, generosity and sensitivity, openness and vulnerability, a person (rather than a metaphysical principle) who experiences the world, responds to what happens, relates to us and interacts dynamically with humans."
I am glad your quoted Pinnock here, for it is a classic example of the approach taken by the openist. Rather than defend a position from exegesis and reasoned discourse, all published openists fill their works with screeds misrepresenting their opponents, thus we have the 'aloof monarch' etc., that no intellectually honest theologian would lay at the foot of the classical theist. That no one believes this sort of thing fails to deter the Pinnock's of the openist camp from always resorting to using these erroneous appeals to emotion. One need only review any number of your own posts to see this tactic in action and how desperate it makes you look.

It is little wonder that the untrained churchgoer will find an attraction to such statements and therefore why Sanders, et al, prefer to take their show on the road to such folks. I lay a great deal of the blame for the continued existence of openist pockets of believers upon the church leadership, for they have abdicated their roles in maintaining the authority of the church to teach and preserve the proper doctrines of Scripture.

I challenge anyone to read the full text of this book here (full download available) and compare it to anything Pinnock, Boyd, or Sanders (PBS) has written. The contrast in tone, content, and rigor, will be startling. Once one wades through the molestation, rape, murder, sock puppets, etc, muck-raking of PBS, very little remains that can be called true scholarship.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't assume free will does not exist. I know it does not. That you would say it was merely an assumption is evidence that you do not understand the underlying basis of the quotes you are relying upon. You are not grasping the philosophy and assume it had no relevance to the discussion. You assume incorrectly. (please re-read the linked post cited).

Forget the big spiritual issues. What about mundane things? Is a lottery draw random or fixed by God (God the Gambler?)?
Here is your answer:

Proverbs 16:33 "The lot is cast into the lap, But its {the lot} every decision {all outcomes} is from the LORD."

I assume you agree that casting lots, throwing dice, etc., is mundane, no? Are God's own words above clear enough for you now? What is your response to God's words on the matter of chance?

Nothing, gr, nothing, not even the spin of the atom is outside the sovereign control of God. There are no probabilities in God's knowledge. He never wonders what might happen based upon this or that. You think because you type gibberish really, really, fast, that somehow God was taken by surprise, exclaiming, "Whoa! What was that? What does it mean?" Your propensity for the puerile should not be extending to discussions of important matters.

Last edited:

RobE

"If an act be free, it must be contingent. If contingent, it may or may not happen, or it may be one of many possibles. And if it may be one of many possibles, it must be uncertain; and if uncertain, it must be unknowable."

All acts which have not happened are contingent. It is possible for contingencies to be foreknown. Examples are seen within Lee's questions and Muz's responses. Group dynamics, sociology, and behavioral studies.

What the above quote is referring to is 'accidents' or mistakes; not 'contingencies' based upon perfect present knowledge. God does not have accidents. There are no actions within creation which He doesn't understand. The creation does not befuddle the creator.

Further, "A certain event will inevitably come to pass, a necessary event must come to pass, but a contingent event may or may not come to pass. Contingency (free will) is an equal possibility of being and of not being."

However,when speaking of the future contingencies; one of the contingencies will certainly come to pass! What I'm saying is that one of the contingencies will become a certainty as well. This particular contingency(X) is also necessarily certain to occur!

"The future choice of holiness or sinfulness (or whatever) is, therefore, a thing now wholly undetermined, and hence an unknowable thing. And being an unknowable thing, its prescience involves an absurdity, and hence ignorance thereof necessitates no imperfection in Deity."

But Muz, Lee, and Godrulz have already proven that something which is undetermined is possibly known. The two motifs: Pinnock, Boyd, and Sanders assume it in their underlying arguments. It is logically possible to know the contingency(X) because one of its properties is its ability to become a certainty.

Pinnock: "The distinction between what is possible and what is actual is valid for God as well as for us. The past is actual, the present is becoming, and the future is possible (rulz-not yet)."

Ah, but our predictions are based on limited present knowledge; so what is possible for us to know is completely simple and necessary for God to know. God knows all possibilities(see Muz) and all possibilities are objects of possible knowledge. God knows all things possible.

Hasker (about omniscience) "It is impossible that God should at any time believe what is false, or fail to believe any true proposition such that His knowing that proposition at that time is logically possible."

Ok.

Is it logically possible to know in advance as a certainty something that is contingent, possible, may or may not be?

Yes. Read Muz.

Hence, EDF of future free will contingencies is a logical absurdity

Knowledge of that which doesn't exist is completely valid. The Wright brothers knew of airflight before building Kitty Hawk. We know of passenger pigeons. Christ knew Judas would remain unrepentant. You know that if you depress the accelerator pedal on your car it will speed up. Knowledge of the non-existent occurs continuously in our lives.

"A future free act is, previous to its existence, a nothing; the knowing of a nothing is a bald contradiction."

"As omnipotence is limited by the possible, so omniscience is limited by the knowable. We do not limit omnipotence by denying its power to do impossible or self-contradictory things. Neither do we limit omniscience by denying its power to foreknow unknowable things." (correctly known as possible until they become actual; modal logic and technical philosophical arguments are out there to demonstrate this).

Who has determined they are unknowable? It seems that all of the people you have quoted have decided to assume they are unknowable without any proof. Where's their proof? Have you accepted the basis of their idea without asking for proof?

If a bird jumps off of a limb, might you know flight is a possible outcome? Would falling to the ground be a known possible outcome? Possibilities are knowable; therefore, one of the possibilities might be known to become a certainty as well without being a logical absurdity.

If the contingency(X) is known to become a certainty later; then it is still contingent until it becomes what it is known to become. God knowing the contingency will become certain is not logically contradictory.

It is only contradictory if the contingency is a certainty at the same time. God's knowledge is never contingent; since it is always certain. Your actions are contingent; until they become certain.

Try not to confuse God's certain knowledge with your contingent action. The logical contradiction which you see is not there. You're trying to state that God's certain knowledge is contradictory with your contingent action. It would be true to state a contradiction exists if we said 'God's certain knowledge was contingent'; or, 'your contingent action was certain' simultaneously.

We aren't saying that though. We're saying 'your contingent action will become certain' and 'God certainly knows this'. Your action is not certain and contingent in the same time frame; so no contradiction exists. God's certain knowledge and your contingent action exist simultaneously, but aren't logically contradictory; because they are two different subjects.

I'm running out of ways to say the same thing. Do you get it?

Lon

I really appreciate this address.

It is long, thoughtful, and engages the concerns.

If difficult, I'd suggest it is this kind of work that is necessary before anything can ever be established. It lays ground work for meaningful. I'd suggest that this piece, though long and labored, was worth your time. With this, I'd suggest posting less and more meaningfully as such and as time allows.

It is some of the better writing I've seen you do.

Will not. Do you know how many technical papers and books there are on this subject in secular and evangelical circles? I am satisfied with my statement based on decades of reseach to the best of my ability. Do I want to start trying to distill this into posts that few will read? No.

I have given links before or pointed to research. The fact that it is debated in great detail beyond most of our grasps shows that I cannot prove it in a post or two.

As long as you are going to water down libertarian free will with compatibilistic pseudo-free will, I will never be able to prove anything. We are talking different languages.

I have given this before. It is not modal logic in great detail. If you can't agree with this, you won't agree with a 20 page proof of it either.

"If an act be free, it must be contingent. If contingent, it may or may not happen, or it may be one of many possibles. And if it may be one of many possibles, it must be uncertain; and if uncertain, it must be unknowable."

This makes sense to me. If free will is genuine, EDF becomes impossible. To retain EDF, we have to tinker with genuine contingency.

Further, "A certain event will inevitably come to pass, a necessary event must come to pass, but a contingent event may or may not come to pass. Contingency (free will) is an equal possibility of being and of not being."

Simple, until you start making it cloudy by talking about causative desires that God gives and still claiming freedom. If there is an element of uncertainty in contingent choices, and there is (self-evident....chocolate or vanilla, unknown for sure until I choose), then EDF is logically impossible for all moral and mundane choices of all creatures for all times from eternity past.
You value Skinner more than you are admitting here. I absolutely hated his propositions built upon Pavlov's work. "Man is a machine" is just so tasteless, offensive, and simplistic for complexity. I deeply thought it unmade 'uniqueness,' individuality, seredipity, and meaningful relationship when I first glimpsed it.

Several Bible passages have spoken to me since then. Romans 9:14, 16, 20-21.
Mat 10:38 Ecc 1:13 Ecc 6:10

I do not despair in gloom for such as I once did. I would deny that which screamed against individual, unique identity. After reading these scriptures, it is a profound thing that the God of the universe cares about a created thing. I have pictures I've created that I enjoy, but I have no inkling how God can have relationship with that which He has created. I would find it very difficult to make a robot that I cared about even if all the right qualities were programmed in. In the end, there would have to be a special kind of 'magic' for me to care about my creation. This 'magic' is often the stuff of freewill discussion and I have valued it.
Going back to your and my 'flavor' discussion. You know, I'm programmed somehow, whether by circumstance or genetic malfunction or a combination, to like vanilla over chocolate. I do not grieve over the chocolate loss I experience and I cannot fathom it makes a difference if it is a programmed response, a genetic disposition, or just a preference of some free choice. I'd say I don't have a freewill decision in the matter. I don't really like chocolate. God has made me the way I am. David was 'formed' in the womb by God, which speaks to the way we are made. I was made for banana, vanilla, butterscotch, and nut flavors.

This is why a common explanation to justify EDF rests on specious 'eternal now', indefensible simple foreknowledge, or crass determinism/omnicausality. You can assume these things and beat the chest that you have proven EDF, but if the basic assumption is wrong, it is simply begging the question.

"The future choice of holiness or sinfulness (or whatever) is, therefore, a thing now wholly undetermined, and hence an unknowable thing. And being an unknowable thing, its prescience involves an absurdity, and hence ignorance thereof necessitates no imperfection in Deity."

Since I wrote these quotes on scrap paper almost 30 years ago, I do not know the sources. Could be Hasker, Pinnock, who knows? They were also in a larger context of more detailed proof.

Boyd has some charts or appendix that Bob Hill linked somewhere (from "Satan and the problem of evil"; Methodist Lorenzo McCabe has some early papers that also 'proved' these things...part way down on this link http://www.revivaltheologypromotion.org/rtpfullcat.htm).

Pinnock: "The distinction between what is possible and what is actual is valid for God as well as for us. The past is actual, the present is becoming, and the future is possible (rulz-not yet)."

Hasker (about omniscience) "It is impossible that God should at any time believe what is false, or fail to believe any true proposition such that His knowing that proposition at that time is logically possible."

Is it logically possible to know in advance as a certainty something that is contingent, possible, may or may not be?

Hence, EDF of future free will contingencies is a logical absurdity (despite loopholes like compatibilism, eternal now, determinism, objections about Peter or Judas, tradition, etc....we can deal with these in detail, one by one...it certainly has been done extensively in the literature on both sides."

There are many ways to address these concerns or obviously we wouldn't have differing Arminian and Calvinist positions on the matter.

One is that all is predetermined and known. Another is that all contingencies are known so the outcome isn't any kind of surprise but meticulously calculated, which may fit with some OVer's stance (like billions of VCR tapes that show all possible scenarios).

For me, the answer is that God knows innately by His sustaining presence. All things proceed from Him and therefore are ordained, known, and intimately part of Him in proceeding from Him. There is no autonomy in this view. In order to do anything, I have to breathe, and in order to do that, it is sustained by His very self.

John 15, Colossians 1 Acts 17:28

The freedom we find in Christ 1Pe 2:16 is freedom of bondage from sin and freely bound to Him as slaves of righteousness.

Lon

Yes I knew you were going to "?!igojer90]gj390]gju390gji0eqo[gj9eqge3ugh[8egu[890u" You do this as some sort of contingency proof, but it is about as repetitious as Lee's question with the exception that Lee's conveys an important theological question. A baby can pound a keyboard. We know there is chaos in the universe. Should it be that way? Is it to be assumed that everything God ordains will make sense with the presence of sin? Explaining your random keyboard pounding is no different here. Did God know the baby would be born with a jibbered genetic code? As all things proceed from His sustanance, I have to also see your keyboard strokes, while jibberish, as foreknown.

Next? Seriously? All you are doing is assuming genuine free will does not exist?! This is exactly what Aquinas and others did in their 'proofs' of timelessness.

Forget the big spiritual issues. What about mundane things? Is a lottery draw random or fixed by God (God the Gambler?)? Is my choice of typing correctly or makenn spilling misstaekes predestined by God from eternity past? Cmon! If not, then I introduced a contingency that was not known by God trillions of years ago. If not, then EDF is false (only takes God not knowing one thing).

You still think God is controlling this?!igojer90]gj390]gju390gji0eqo[gj9eqge3ugh[8egu[890u Cmon.

You blew off quotes from credible thinkers because they do not agree with your denial of free will. This is standard, arrogant Calvinism. When I read the technical papers, there were arguments and counterarguments. William Lane Craig is a great thinker, but I am not persuaded that everything he concludes about 'middle knowledge' is correct. I suspect you have spent many years bolstering your position in your own mind. You assume it is infallible, but are blind to the possibility that you are dead wrong in some areas.

If you cannot see these simple assertions, including that this is not foreknowable before creation by an omniscienct Godjrg0=jr3=90j3bnirjoeijgo0ejg0[3094u0gu3[80uj

then I shall respond in kind to your truth and nonsense: your premise does not agree with my premise, so next...next....next...here here here:baby:

"Godjrg0=jr3=90j3bnirjoeijgo0ejg0[3094u0gu3[80uj"

As I said, if I could approximate and predict it with limited knowledge, God possesses both more knowledge and foreknowledge.

Jibberish is jibberish, I'd say with your argument, it has no bearing if you type:

"?!igojer90]gj390]gju390gji0eqo[gj9eqge3gh[8egu[890u"
or
"Godjrg0=jr3=90j3bnirjoeijgo0ej0[3094u0gu3[80uj"

Would it have even been realized if I missed typing a letter? Would you know?

God does.

Did you know He has your hair numbered? Do you think He knows how many cells we each have? Do you think He knows the exact number of chemical agents in our blood? Does He know if I will deny Him or not? Does He know if my friend will die in his unbelief? Does He control these things or is it all randomness set in motion as He sits back? Where do I draw my breath? How do I type each letter here? Does He, or does He not sustain every stroke? How does sin effect His perfect creation?

lee_merrill

Lee: I must again repeat, that this is not certain. A definite prediction that some tools will be usable is impossible without definite knowledge of the future.

Muz: Well, since OVT attirbutes exhaustive PRESENT knowledge to God, this is a non-issue. God knows what source material He has.
But humans are involved, and that is the basic question, does God know factors involving future human decisions? We have a number of examples where he does.

Lee: I only require that God knows a remnant will be saved, this is even his sentence on earth, which he will carry out. Clearly, this contradicts the Open View.

And how is it fair if God decides only a remnant will be saved? Does he keep people from repenting?

Muz: "Who are you, O man, to talk back to God?" (I believe that's Romans 9) What if God, in his wisdom, prepare some pots for destruction and some for glory?"

If you read John 12, you see that Israel was blinded to their Messiah.
I certainly believe this, yet to give me the Calvinist answer does not explain Open Theism, which must hold if any decision is free, salvation must be. You may convince me otherwise if you get, say, Godrulz to also adopt your position here!

Mark 4:11-12 He told them, "The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those on the outside everything is said in parables so that, "'they may be ever seeing but never perceiving, and ever hearing but never understanding; otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!'"

Muz: There you go. You have your answer. It's a corporate thing both ways.
But both these groups were Jewish, so how is this some sort of corporate election?

Where do you guys get this type of exegesis? 'Tis dreadful.

godrulz said:
Any judicial hardening is related to man's initial hardening. Israel rejected the Messiah instead of receiving Him. In the future Tribulation, circumstances and the witness of the 144,000 will result in a restoration of Israel.
But the question remains, how does God know that many, or even every individual here, will be saved? This cannot be known according to the Open View.

Unless you want to quote the Calvinist view here like Muz, in which case I will agree with you. :)

Blessings,
Lee

Last edited:

lee_merrill

Lee: ... it makes no sense to say "God will not change his mind in this instance" if God might change his mind in this instance. Which is what you seemed to be saying.

Yorzhik: No, it would only make no sense if God intended to change His mind in that instance. But if God did not expect to change His mind in that instance, it is okay for Him to say He wasn't going to change His mind.
So Balaam was not prophesying? He was making stuff up?

This is just another example of the Settled View not being able to read the plain meaning of the text because their worldview forces them to change what God wrote.
I would say the plain meaning of the text is that God does not change his mind, because he is not a man.

But this says nothing about our ability to thwart God's will. Are you saying that all people are fully obedient?
Nope, this is what I would recall instead:

Proverbs 16:4 The Lord works out everything for his own ends-- even the wicked for a day of disaster.

... then to have our hands the way God says will require God to cause the event or to remove our will.
Exactly, to override our will in this instance, are you saying God cannot or would not ever do this?

It would be simple for God to do so, but then again, it would be simple for God to bow down to Satan.
Wait just a minute, are you saying God never crosses the will of man?! Please, give me some reason to think you do not believe this.

God did not drive out the Jebusites "without fail".
There aren't any Jebusites in the land of Israel.

Lee: Thus God's actions with Saul were in accordance with this description, his plan was unchanged, though his response to Saul had changed.

Yorzhik: God's plan changed because originally God expected Saul to obey Him. And, that God "would have established your kingdom over Israel for all time". That was the reason His response changed. Can you give us another reason for God to change His response?
The reason God changed his response is the same reason you give for God changing his mind. Only I say God expected this, and you don't, and that is the essential difference.

... if all events are exhaustively foreknown, then those events cannot change. An event that is exhaustively known cannot change or you have a logical contradiction.
Yet where is a contradiction here? The past cannot change, correct? But that doesn't mean that free will decisions made in the past give us some sort of contradiction.

Lee: Yet this prediction was in response to Peter saying "you know all things." Implying clearly that Jesus is confirming Peter's statement with another sure (truly, truly) prediction. Of what he will freely choose.

Yorzhik: "truly truly" or "without fail" - it's the same.
Right, so how did God know this, as surely as he knew all the Jebusites would be driven out?

Another twisting of God's word. Lee, you don't realize that "overthrowing someone with repentance" and making "live" and "die" mean either "live or die" makes a mockery of God.
But you need to refute my analysis, instead of saying "Such a bad conclusion."

If Hezekiah had gone his way alive, it would be impossible to go away unchanged or unaffected. You're an idiot. If you get a chance to talk with the Word on judgment day, He's going to bring this up and you aren't going to like it.
If you cannot remain civil, I'm going to end this conversation...

I said I was certain the Pats were going to go undefeated, and you said I was lying. So I'd like to know how you measured my certainty.
You knew it wasn't certain, is the point, and so to say "this is sure," knowing it's not, is to tell a lie.

Blessings,
Lee

Last edited:

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
For me, the answer is that God knows innately by His sustaining presence. All things proceed from Him and therefore are ordained, known, and intimately part of Him in proceeding from Him. There is no autonomy in this view. In order to do anything, I have to breathe, and in order to do that, it is sustained by His very self.

John 15, Colossians 1 Acts 17:28

The freedom we find in Christ 1Pe 2:16 is freedom of bondage from sin and freely bound to Him as slaves of righteousness.
:thumb:

Alvin Plantinga has suggested that we should not expect to be able to discern much about how God knows or believes what is true. His reasoning is that our knowledge is plausibly based on our cognitive and perceptive faculties properly functioning according to their design in an intended environment. But of course, God’s knowledge cannot be similarly based on these factors, for presumably this account of our knowledge is based on God’s having knowledge of how to bring about His design of our faculties logically(and perhaps temporally) prior to His doing so.

God’s knowledge and His essence as identical. All that we can say is that God’s knowledge is His essence or nature knowing. It is not something acquired, but something belonging to that nature itself and identical with it, in like manner as are His love, truth, and justice. God’s knowledge is something so inherent in His nature that it exists exclusively of any means of attaining or perceiving it, which we call action. The knowledge of God, therefore, not being acquired, cannot be increased. Time does not add to it. Succession of events does not bring it before God. All the objects of his knowledge are to him eternally present and known.

If God’s acts of knowledge are somehow distinct from His essence then these acts would be related as actuality to potentiality. This conflicts with God’s knowledge of Himself. Since God knows Himself perfectly, there is no unrealized potential for God to know Himself. Aquinas would say, God’s self-knowledge is fully actualized. Since God is the efficient cause, He knows things other than Himself, but He knows them through Himself versus the knowledge gained by inference, succession, etc., that would imply discursive thought processes.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Would it have even been realized if I missed typing a letter? Would you know?

God does.

Did you know He has your hair numbered? Do you think He knows how many cells we each have? Do you think He knows the exact number of chemical agents in our blood? Does He know if I will deny Him or not? Does He know if my friend will die in his unbelief? Does He control these things or is it all randomness set in motion as He sits back? Where do I draw my breath? How do I type each letter here? Does He, or does He not sustain every stroke? How does sin effect His perfect creation?

I am not sure how exhaustive present and past knowledge is relevant to future knowledge, a different kettle of fish (the potential future becomes the fixed past through the actual present). You cannot extrapolate agree upon present knowledge as proof of EDF (future contingencies that may or may not happen).

Shades of Lee, but rulz would still like to know how God foreknows this tgjeqr-ihj3-9gj39-0gj3=0j90=j=0jh=0ejh0eijh=r0hjritjjjqeh0jq=0 without foreordaining it through meticulous control (negating true freedom to do this instead gjer0ghjr0=hje=0gj=0jg0===3ju90=uh or nothing at all, like this

).:help:

Hint: I brought this reality into existence with my free will and God's possible knowledge of this unlikely event is now part of His past certain knowledge. If I did not do that impulsive thing, it would not be an object of God's certain knowledge...either way, God's omniscience is not compromised since it is the content of possible knowledge that is changing, not whether God knows everything knowable...He always does!

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Did you decide to ignore this direct response to your question? :confused:

You lost credibility when you said self-evident free will does not exist.

Are you familiar with Plato's cave analogy and Boethius' misuse of it?

I wonder if your Platinga philosophical post is part of the problem.

SaulToPaul 2

Nice to see that you pull out your bible and read it.

Muz

Thank you. Just wanted to clarify that the evil generation stretched back to even before Israel's time.

Here's your comment: "And if you read Israel's history, and you read Jesus' account of prophets in Israel, you find that people rejected and killed prophets "from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah"... the point being that Israel tended to stone the prophets sent from God."

themuzicman

Still unable to open a bible, I see:

Matt 23:29 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, 30 and say, `If we had been [living] in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partners with them in [shedding] the blood of the prophets.' 31 "So you testify against yourselves, that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. 32 "Fill up, then, the measure [of the guilt] of your fathers. 33 "You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell? 34 "Therefore, behold, I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes; some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city, 35 so that upon you may fall [the guilt of] all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 "Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.​

Who is Jesus speaking to?

Muz

SaulToPaul 2

Still unable to open a bible, I see:

Matt 23:29 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, 30 and say, `If we had been [living] in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partners with them in [shedding] the blood of the prophets.' 31 "So you testify against yourselves, that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. 32 "Fill up, then, the measure [of the guilt] of your fathers. 33 "You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell? 34 "Therefore, behold, I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes; some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city, 35 so that upon you may fall [the guilt of] all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 "Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.​

Who is Jesus speaking to?

Muz

Which one of Israel's fathers killed Abel?

themuzicman

Sure, I'll ask him and get back to you. :chuckle:
Meanwhile, let me know if you find the scripture that says Cain was an Israelite.

Why don't you explain how it is that Jesus blames his murder on Israelites, and more specifically the Scribes and Pharisees...

(And you need to read my original statement again.)

Muz

Status
Not open for further replies.