ARCHIVE: NIV Bible Quiz

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Jabez-
Use some logic here. Would God command that a woman be forced to marry someone who raped her? Woud a just God do that?

Jabez

Friend of Jesus
Originally posted by lighthouse

Jabez-
Use some logic here. Would God command that a woman be forced to marry someone who raped her? Woud a just God do that?

Would God have a man killed for picking up sticks?I dont pretend to understand everything in the Bible.Iam in constient study.

Granite

Hall of Fame

Jabez-

Sorry, Lighthouse, but that's exactly what the Mosaic law commands.

While you're at it take a peek at Deuteronomy 25:11-12 and talk to me about God's justice.

There are universal constants in the Mosaic law (don't steal, don't murder). And then there are barbaric, grotesque laws like this one and others.

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by granite1010

Sorry, Lighthouse, but that's exactly what the Mosaic law commands.

While you're at it take a peek at Deuteronomy 25:11-12 and talk to me about God's justice.

There are universal constants in the Mosaic law (don't steal, don't murder). And then there are barbaric, grotesque laws like this one and others.
You are an idiot. Have you not seen the comparisons? How dense are you that you think that there would be a contradiction in one book? Deutoronomy calls for the death of a rapist. Why would it turn around? You are a moron!

One Eyed Jack

You are an idiot. Have you not seen the comparisons? How dense are you that you think that there would be a contradiction in one book? Deutoronomy calls for the death of a rapist. Why would it turn around? You are a moron!

He thinks God gave him a bum deal, so he's mad at Him. It's just a snipe. I don't think he really believes half the crap he's been spouting lately.

On a more personal note, don't let these people get to you so badly. Take a deep breath before replying, and try not to fly off so easily. That's what they want you to do. Don't fall for it.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by One Eyed Jack

On a more personal note, don't let these people get to you so badly. Take a deep breath before replying, and try not to fly off so easily. That's what they want you to do. Don't fall for it.
You sound like my dad.:p

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Nothing backhanded about it. It wasn't really a compliment, but it wasn't an insult either. I was just teasing you. You were right, of course. I need to take some time, sometimes.

Granite

Hall of Fame

In some cases it calls for the death of a rapist. In other instances a rapist is allowed to marry his victim. That's the way it is.

What about Deuteronomy 25:11-12, or did you not bother to read this lovely little case law?

As you asked, Lighthouse: would a JUST God command a raped woman to marry her rapist? Or would a JUST deity allow a seducer to pay his way out of his crime? Would a JUST Jehovah have a wife's hand cut off for defending her husband? You know my answer: no, a just God would not do these things at all. But that's what happens to be included in your Bible. The problem you have is justifying the heinous stuff included in the Mosaic law.

This thread's more amusing than anything else. The NIV just clarifies what's already in the KJV and other versions. Makes it real clear exactly what's in there and how shockingly unjust some of the Mosaic code really is. The problem is with the clarification; you people just can't bring yourselves to admit (much less even imagine) that some of the laws in there, terrible as they are, really, truly, mean what they say.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by One Eyed Jack

He thinks God gave him a bum deal, so he's mad at Him. It's just a snipe. I don't think he really believes half the crap he's been spouting lately.

Glad to see you've become a mind reader, Jack. Always amazing the insight Christians have about people who LEAVE the faith. If this insight was present while former Christians were in the church it might have changed a thing or two.

"God" didn't give me a bum deal (if he's there at all I doubt he's terribly interested in homo sap). Christianity did. There's a difference.

Last edited:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Or would a JUST deity allow a seducer to pay his way out of his crime?
Is a thief buying his way out of his crime when he pays restitution for what he stole?

If the man had gone about things the normal way he still would pay a bride-price to the woman's father. And the seducer still has to pay that price and should marry the woman in most circumstances. How is that buying his way out of trouble? What do you think would be just?

Nowadays seducers really do buy their way out of trouble by paying for the abortion and dumping the woman.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Turbo

Is a thief buying his way out of his crime when he pays restitution for what he stole?

If the man had gone about things the normal way he still would pay a bride-price to the woman's father. And the seducer still has to pay that price and should marry the woman in most circumstances. How is that buying his way out of trouble? What do you think would be just?

Nowadays seducers really do buy their way out of trouble by paying for the abortion and dumping the woman.

Monetary theft and sex crime are apples and oranges. Frankly, the idea that a seducer has to pay money for what he did to some girl is pretty degrading, if you ask me. Gee, thanks, dad. Now I know how much my virginity was worth.

Why should a girl who is seduced have to get married to the schmuck who seduced her? You're penalizing her more than anyone else.

I think a father who either gives this cad a pair of panda eyes or who brings him to a magistrate for a solid caning would be a pretty decent solution. But the law of Moses makes it a business transaction; women as property.

the Sibbie

Why should a girl who is seduced have to get married to the schmuck who seduced her? You're penalizing her more than anyone else.
She was also an active participant. She gave into him.

But the law of Moses makes it a business transaction; women as property.
Perhaps they valued their daughters.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by the Sibbie

She was also an active participant. She gave into him.

Perhaps they valued their daughters.

So seduction NEVER involves or implies victimization?

You don't need to turn your daughter into property and put a price on her innocence to "value" her.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by the Sibbie

It might involve manipulation, but if turns into victimization that is rape, not seduction.

I'm just saying it's possible to be seduced and still be a victim.

One Eyed Jack

Glad to see you've become a mind reader, Jack.

I'm not a mind reader. But the sort of behavior you've been displaying lately is something I've seen before. I used to have a roommate just like you, and his situation was remarkably similar to yours.

Always amazing the insight Christians have about people who LEAVE the faith.

You've been carrying your emotions on your sleeve for the last several weeks. It doesn't take any special insight to see that.

If this insight was present while former Christians were in the church it might have changed a thing or two.

What would it have changed?

"God" didn't give me a bum deal (if he's there at all I doubt he's terribly interested in homo sap). Christianity did. There's a difference.

Christianity didn't give you a bum deal. Your church did. There's a difference.

Granite

Hall of Fame
"I'm not a mind reader. But the sort of behavior you've been displaying lately is something I've seen before. I used to have a roommate just like you, and his situation was remarkably similar to yours."

How'd he wind up?

"You've been carrying your emotions on your sleeve for the last several weeks. It doesn't take any special insight to see that."

I've never said or pretended to be a special case. If I've been a little edgy, well, I FEEL a little edgy.

"Christianity didn't give you a bum deal. Your church did. There's a difference."

No, not at all. My church was the final straw. Christianity as a whole is a masquerade, and I feel like most of my life I was either used, misguided, or had blinders on.