ARCHIVE: NIV Bible Quiz

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by granite1010

"Truth be told, that's not what I'm worried about. I don't want you to go to hell."

I appreciate your concern, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Ok. Then I won't either.

"Hell" happens to be something grafted from Zoroastrianism, and I don't believe in Ahura Mazda, either.

Jesus spoke of hell as if it were real.

"What if you discovered that the things you think you know now about the history and origins of Christianity were false?"

The history and origin of the church is twisted, grotesque, and corrupt.

What's so corrupt about the origin of the church?

Christianity has inflicted misery and pain on every single continent it's crossed. Native tribes and peoples have been wiped out, libraries burned, innocent men and women hanged, tortured, burned, all in the name of Christ. One of the world's most notorious regimes was operated by the church herself. There is not a single acre, nation, or people that has interacted with Christianity that has not suffered because of it. By their fruits you shall know them indeed, Jack. Look at your Bible. Look at some of the laws in there. Look at the barbarism, the violence, the butchery, the depradations done in the name of God by the people of God. Look at the division within your own faith.

If this is your idea of "salvation" you can keep it.

Granite1010, my idea of "salvation" certainly has nothing to do with violence and butchery, other than that which Jesus Christ suffered. I've never advocated the spreading of religion by the sword. And to think, in just a few sentences, you accuse me of being incapable of having an honest discussion.

It's a cut and paste job. It's mind control. It's a myth. It's a fantasy. And your problem is, you cannot have an honest discussion. You're the one with a gun to your head, not me.

Neither one of us has a gun to our head. But we're both going to die some day, and we're both going to stand before God.

You've got this idea of "hell" to deal with, to intimidate you. I sure don't. You're worshipping the Godfather, not God the Father: the deity you pray to makes an offer you can't refuse.

The deity to Whom I pray certainly makes an offer I can't refuse. You see, He is God the Father, and He offered His only begotten Son.

Sorry, I'll take a pass.

I'm sorry too, but that's your prerogative. But you never answered the original question. Would you like to give that a shot now, or will you pass on that too?

Originally posted by One Eyed Jack
What if you discovered that the things you think you know now about the history and origins of Christianity were false?

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Turbo

I know. :doh: But you asked if "it would be more like the original." "More" is a comparative word. I'm asking you so clarify your question. Would it be "more like the original" than what? Than the current edition of The Message? Than some other version? What?
Okay. I meant that it would be more like tho original writings, i.e., not numbered.:D

Nevertheless, your point in post 88 made no sense since the verses are not numbered in the manuscripts.
Well, it made sense to me, because I didn't know that, originally.:p

BChristianK

Originally posted by Turbo

BChristianK, please clarify a few things for me:
I’ll do my best

• (1)
  • Do you believe that the verses and phrases omitted from the NIV are not inspired scripture? (See post #1)
    (2)
  • Do you believe that the NIV is based on more or fewer manuscripts than the KJV and NKJV?
    (3)
  • Do you believe that Deuteronomy 22 is rightly translated in the NIV, that God commanded that rapists and their victims should marry?
(1) I think each of these verse and phrases need to be evaluated on an individual basis. I don’t mean to be evasive, I just think that the question is more complicated than does the NIV distort the text or not.
(2) The NIV, by virtue of it’s translation date being much more mature than the authorship of the KJV, takes advantage of numerous additional manuscript, upwards of 5,000 discoveries since the authorship of the KJV. So, the NIV is based on more diverse manuscript families than the KJV and takes advantage of many manuscripts that have been discovered since the KJV, the compiler’s of the NIV had many more manuscripts and uncils to deal with. The NKJV, as I understand the translation principle, bases its primary translation based on the Textus Receptus. Here the issue of manuscript dating comes into consideration.

There are, admittedly two main texts that were used “Vaticanus and Sinaiticus, but to say that there were the only two texts evaluated, and that the Majority texts were summarily discarded is a mischaracterization of the textual critical process that underlies the translation of the NIV.

(3). Two things here. 1. The issue of the translation of Deuteronomy 22 is totally independent form the manuscript issue above. You know this, and I know you know this, but I want to make it clear for anyone who might happen across this thread. The Masoretic texts underly the NKJV, the NIV, the KJV and the NASB, as well as the JPS Tanak (a great translation to compare to as it doesn’t reflect some of the theological bias that can sometimes creep into the translation).

Second, I’m with you, I think the translators did a poor job of translating that particular verse. Though the textual family issues are quite irrelevant to that decision. I’m not sure, but I think that since they were aiming at a dynamic equivalency (which of necessity encroaches on hermeneutics) they were trying to account for the fact that the verbiage suggests that the “encounter” was forced. Personally, I think the NASB or even the NRSV does a much better job of translation in the OT than the NIV does.

How does any this apply to the NKJV?
Hopefully I answered this above. The NKJV does avoid the issue of antiquated translation. It doesn’t avoid the discussion of the dating of the texts.

I said:
Now if a plurality of texts is necessary for the 1611 edition of the King Jimmy, I am going to say that a greater plurality of texts will lead us to a more informed process of textual criticism giving us a greater degree of accuracy.
Because the greater plurality rests on the modern translations. We can debate the merits of the NKJV over the NASB and the NIV, and I am happy to do that. But as far as the KJV, which I gathered from drbrumley’s first post is the version he supports as the only legitimate translation, it is possibly the worst translation of the ones on the market because it has so few manuscripts underlying it.

Now you say:
Then why do you prefer translations based on Vaticanus and Sinaiticus?
1. The NIV is not solely based on Vaticanus and Sinaiticus, other textual sources, included the Textus Receptus and the texts in the Byzantine family were taken into consideration. Second, the reason these two codices were favored over the textus receptus was because these manuscripts can be dated earlier than the texts that comprise the Textus Receptus. Now I agree, older is everything, but it is something. The older the manuscript, the less likely it has been morphed since there has been less time elapsed to morph it.

I was talking about two manuscripts upon which the NIV is based: Vaticanus and Sinaiticus. There are hundreds (thousands?) of inconsistencies between the two of them, yet they are regarded as "the best" manuscripts by Westcott and Hor t, the publishers of the NIV and many other modern translators. How can these two be "the best" if they don't even agree with one another?
Do you think that the Textus Receptus was comprised of textual sources that agreed with each other character for character? The Byzantine family of texts have hundred and possibly thousands of descrepencies between them as well. Part of the problem is using the word “corruption.” Many apponents of the NIV declare that Vaticanus and Sinaiticus show evidence of “corruption” without necessarily explaining that some of the discrepancies are wholly immaterial. Spelling Nazareth as Nasareth, doesn’t have a significant theological impact on the meaning of the text. The Textus Receptus certainly shows more evidence of harmonization than any other family. Some argue that this is to its credit, I, for one, consider it to be evidence that the text was tampered with in order to harmonize it.

Am I missing something? Did you read any of drbrumley's www.mag-net.com/~maranath/OLDBEST.HTM#Three]link?
I did, I thought the arguments made were among the worst substantiation for the Received Texts I have read. There are some good arguments for the Textus Receptus, but this website wasn’t one of them. Sorry, drdrumley. Mr. Carter’s argument boils down to nothing more than poisoning the well. Certainly Wescot and Hort must have been under the influence of the devil…
Here we have a plain statement to the effect that Hort, was deliberately leading orthodox believers, by a system of brain washing into the same diabolical trap wherein he and Westcott had fallen.
Its just a bad argument. Wescot and Hort could be rotting in hell as we speak, that wouldn’t, of necessity, invalidate the textual critical principles they advocated.

Many folks who would sign off on Carter’s view of theology precept for precept would still support the NIV’s philosophy of textual criticism because the principles employed make sense.

Essentially, Carter claims that “bad theology” has crept into the NIV’s translation. That’s an answer that assumes that they should have read “good theology” into the translation. It’s a criticism that they didn’t eisegete the manuscripts in a way that Carter would have liked.

How about if you have only two manuscripts that have hundreds or thousands of disagreements between them?
I don’t know of any modern translation that only uses two manuscripts. Many opponents of the NIV and NASB claim that these modern translations are based exclusively on Vaticanus and Sinaiticus, but this is an over-simplification of the process of establishing a Greek text from which to translate.

The NIV was based on Nestle-Aland’s Greek New Testament which takes into consideration all the textual families under consideration, even the Majority Texts. It preferences texts that can be substantiated as older because the older a text, the less likely that corruptions can creep into the text. And that, essentially, is my criticism of the NKJV. It discounts the value of the age of a text and preferences agreement among texts over considerations of age. Both need to be taken into consideration, mind you, and that is why the KJV is an antiquated translation. I am less critical of the NKJV than I am the KJV however, since the NKJV does consider both.

Personally, I studied jointly from the NKJV and the NASB for awhile until I started forcing myself to translate from Nestle-Aland’s Greek NT.

Hope I have cleared up a few things.

Grace and Peace

Granite

Hall of Fame
"Jesus spoke of hell as if it were real."

"As if" it were real? Sorry, sounds like you're saying he wasn't entirely sure. That does not change the facts behind what I said: the idea of heaven and hell as the church knows it today was grafted from Zoroastrianism (so was dualism and this whole manichean Satan vs. God struggle, by the way).

"What's so corrupt about the origin of the church?"

You need to read more.

"Granite1010, my idea of 'salvation' certainly has nothing to do with violence and butchery, other than that which Jesus Christ suffered. I've never advocated the spreading of religion by the sword."

I didn't say you did. I said the history of your church is vicious and blood soaked. And I want no part of it. You've got blinders on, Jack.

"What if you discovered that the things you think you know now about the history and origins of Christianity were false?"

If I did, I'd drop to my knees and repent on the spot. Unfortunately, it won't happen. The history of Christianity speaks for itself.

One Eyed Jack

"Jesus spoke of hell as if it were real."

"As if" it were real?

Yes. It doesn't sound like He was describing some imaginary place.

Sorry, sounds like you're saying he wasn't entirely sure.

Well, that's not what I'm saying. He was sure, all right.

That does not change the facts behind what I said: the idea of heaven and hell as the church knows it today was grafted from Zoroastrianism (so was dualism and this whole manichean Satan vs. God struggle, by the way).

I don't accept that as a fact.

"What's so corrupt about the origin of the church?"

You need to read more.

Point me in the right direction then.

"Granite1010, my idea of 'salvation' certainly has nothing to do with violence and butchery, other than that which Jesus Christ suffered. I've never advocated the spreading of religion by the sword."

I didn't say you did. I said the history of your church is vicious and blood soaked. And I want no part of it. You've got blinders on, Jack.

Granite1010, I don't even go to church -- I haven't been since I was in high school. You don't have to belong to an organized religion to worship Christ.

If I did, I'd drop to my knees and repent on the spot.

Well, I hope that happens then.

Unfortunately, it won't happen. The history of Christianity speaks for itself.

I think you're confusing the Catholic church with Christianity as a whole.

Granite

Hall of Fame
"I don't accept that as a fact."

Which reminds me of the (probably) apocryphal story of the born again who, when confronted with a two headed cow, just crossed his arms and huffed: "Ain't no such thing."

Whether something's right in front of you or not doesn't matter. You can always choose to believe what's more comfortable. But it's ignorance on your part if you really think the Christian concept of the devil, the manichean struggle, and hell are unique. They're not. You can't even trace the idea of hell to Christian's Judaic roots.

One Eyed Jack

"I don't accept that as a fact."

Which reminds me of the (probably) apocryphal story of the born again who, when confronted with a two headed cow, just crossed his arms and huffed: "Ain't no such thing."

Whether something's right in front of you or not doesn't matter.

The only thing you've placed in front of me is a blind assertion, granite1010.

You can always choose to believe what's more comfortable. But it's ignorance on your part if you really think the Christian concept of the devil, the manichean struggle, and hell are unique.

I never said they were unique. But that doesn't mean they were grafted from Zoroastrianism either.

They're not. You can't even trace the idea of hell to Christian's Judaic roots.

Christ spoke of hell. As a Christian, that's enough for me.

Granite

Hall of Fame
"The only thing you've placed in front of me is a blind assertion..."

Jack, I'm not gonna do your homework for you. There's plenty of books on the subject; Alice Turner's "The History of Hell" is very informative and a good place to start. Don't let your moniker go along with your mentality. Think outside the box.

One Eyed Jack

"The only thing you've placed in front of me is a blind assertion..."

Jack, I'm not gonna do your homework for you.

I'm not asking you to do my homework for me.

There's plenty of books on the subject;

I realize that. I've may have even read a few.

Alice Turner's "The History of Hell" is very informative and a good place to start.

Thanks. I might check it out to see if it contains anything I haven't heard before.

Don't let your moniker go along with your mentality. Think outside the box.

I've been doing that all my life.