ARCHIVE: Knight and Lion from TOL are Back to Answer Your Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
eisenreich said:
NO I do not believe that Jesus was God. NO I do not believe that he was resurrected after the third day.
That isn't what I asked (which you are well aware of, so I am done with you on this thread) there no sense in debating someone who has not or will not take a position.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
Jesus existed because you have an innane sense of humor and a dearth of simple answers to simple questions. I'll remember this when I'm standing before your god. What's your name? I want him to know exactly who let me down.

:loser:
Until you can determine what makes you believe someone existed, my (silly) evidence is still miles above your "I don't know".

How in the world could anyone admit "I don't know why I believe certain people existed"??? :kookoo: It's beyond asinine!

If ever in my life I become that brainless please somebody put me out of my misery.

allsmiles

BillyBob said:
"No" what? I didn't answer you within 15 seconds so you're suddenly putting words in my mouth?

My bad. You must have a doozey.

Don't get smarmy with me, that crap never works out in your favor and you know it.

You're right, I was too impatient. I'll wait for your mind blowingly awesome evidence for the existence of Christ in our historical timeline.

Sure, it's a little thing called 'Christianity'.

Knight, this is what I've been asking. "Is belief in Jesus evidence for his existence". Do you get it now or are you gunna keep playing the stupid card in the hopes that I'll give you a golden opportunity to ban me?

Here, I'll make it easy:

BB, this is the worst, most untenable scrap of pathetic garbage you could have dropped at my feet.

I have a hand grenade and a bazooka, which do you prefer?

You call me smarmy as though that's worse than machismo :chuckle:

What are your reasons for rejecting the 'Historical Jesus'?

A complete and utter lack of evidence to support his existence, Paul's description of Christ as being a quickening spirit who takes form only in revelatory visions as well as his descriptions following the formula of Hellenized dying and resurrecting god men. Also the obviousness of the mythological nature of the story of Christ in general. Open the Bible and find any Jesus story you'd like and I'll take fifteen seconds out of my busy day to mock you for believing a fairy tale.

That's a start.

GuySmiley

To be fair now, allsmiles, shouldn't we automatically reject all historical references to anyone you mention? Or at least the 4 most important references? You should be forced to prove Sun Tzu's existance using purely extra-stuff-sun-tzu-wrote sources. Because if someone were trying to trick us into believing in Sun Tzu, of course 'The Art of War' is going to claim Sun Tzu wrote it.

truthteller86

AS, here's another irony for you. The people you think love you really hate you and vice versa. See: TOL motto. Since I posted this to RealSorceror in another thread, God bless his little red soul, I though of you as well considering your attitude.

God demands humility from us. If he is indeed our Maker, we cannot approach Him with an attitude that is arrogant and demanding. We must approach Him on His terms. Christ spelled out those terms: mankind is in rebellion toward God and in need of forgiveness. This is exactly what Christ came to offer. "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life (Jn 5:24). And also, "I came that they might have life, and might have it abundantly" (Jn 10:10). source

allsmiles

Actually Guy, there's evidence now demonstrating that Sun Tzu himself didn't exist.

Funny how things change given a long enough timeline.

allsmiles

GFY

GFY

truthteller86 said:
AS, here's another irony for you. The people you think love you really hate you and vice versa. See: TOL motto. Since I posted this to RealSorceror in another thread, God bless his little red soul, I though of you as well considering your attitude.

Tell ya what TT, I won't talk about your life if you don't talk about mine. Fair enough?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
Granite, eisenrich are you going to join allsmiles and the 6 other people on earth who think Jesus didn't exist?

Please make a stand one way or the other. Otherwise there is no reason for you to post in this thread.

:yawn:

The moment you decide to address Dougherty with any semblance of masculanity and sense.

I mean, seriously, Knight.

You're simply being wilfully ignorant.

At least look is all I've ever said, or will say.

Till then...

Too bad, so sad.

truthteller86

Does AS get banned now? I haven't been told that in a while. In fact, I had to think for a minute to actually remember what the letters stood for. :nono:

Last edited:

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
allsmiles said:
My bad. You must have a doozey.

No, just other things going on, like trying to find our FF Commish!

:sozo: Doc!!!

You're right, I was too impatient.

Eh, no big deal, impatience is a part of youth.

I'll wait for your mind blowingly awesome evidence for the existence of Christ in our historical timeline.

I never claimed to have any.

Knight, this is what I've been asking. "Is belief in Jesus evidence for his existence". Do you get it now or are you gunna keep playing the stupid card in the hopes that I'll give you a golden opportunity to ban me?

Here, I'll make it easy:

Yeah, that outta do it.

BB, this is the worst, most untenable scrap of pathetic garbage you could have dropped at my feet.

I see, so multiple writings of histoirical historical reference, multiple authors and 2000 years of tradition are meaningless? Got it.

You call me smarmy as though that's worse than machismo :chuckle:

It is.

A complete and utter lack of evidence to support his existence, Paul's description of Christ as being a quickening spirit who takes form only in revelatory visions as well as his descriptions following the formula of Hellenized dying and resurrecting god men. Also the obviousness of the mythological nature of the story of Christ in general. Open the Bible and find any Jesus story you'd like and I'll take fifteen seconds out of my busy day to mock you for believing a fairy tale.

That's a start.

Paul never met Jesus [nor claimed to], but he knew people who did.

But are we discussing Jesus or Christ, you keep changing terms?

allsmiles

BillyBob said:
No, just other things going on, like trying to find our FF Commish!

:sozo: Doc!!!

:thumb:

Eh, no big deal, impatience is a part of youth.

Glad to know I'm normal.

I never claimed to have any.

Yeah, that outta do it.

I see, so multiple writings of histoirical historical reference, multiple authors and 2000 years of tradition are meaningless? Got it.

Quote some of these writings of historical reference. Find them, show them to me.

Tradition dictates reality? Are you Catholic now? :chuckle:

It is.

Paul never met Jesus [nor claimed to], but he knew people who did.

But are we discussing Jesus or Christ, you keep changing terms?

Find me the passages where Paul references those who have met Christ.

Paul met Christ in a revelatory vision and he never differentiates between his experience and the experience of the "others" you mention.

Doherty would destroy you.

You're afraid.

Knight is shaking in his boots otherwise he would have met this issue head on rather than obfuscate as much as he has.

Good night folks.

I've laughed myself half to death, I need sleep.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
allsmiles said:
Quote some of these writings of historical reference. Find them, show them to me.

There are the Gospels in the Bible as well as the Gnostic Gospels. They all reference Jesus.

Tradition dictates reality? Are you Catholic now? :chuckle:

No, but I'm weighing all the evidence to form a conclusion, tradition is one peice of that evidence.

Find me the passages where Paul references those who have met Christ.

I'll say again, you keep using the words 'Jesus' and 'Christ' interchangably, I thought we were talking about the 'Historical Jesus'.

Paul met Christ in a revelatory vision and he never differentiates between his experience and the experience of the "others" you mention.

Paul knew many men who personally had a relationship with Jesus.

Doherty would destroy you.

Never heard of him/her.

You're afraid.

:darwinsm:

Knight is shaking in his boots otherwise he would have met this issue head on rather than obfuscate as much as he has.

I'm not here to discuss what Knight thinks.

Good night folks.

I've laughed myself half to death, I need sleep.

Ah, time to 'Cut and Run', eh?

Figures.... :rolleyes:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
allsmiles said:
When I spoke to Knight on Bob Enyart Live he said that he prayed for me every day and would keep working on me.

Do you see any of that happening here?

:confused:

Knight doesn't actually pray, (type his prayer) here at TOL. At least I've never seen him do it and rarely have I ever seen anybody else do it. I think it's better that they don't since that's usually a more personal thing with most people.

But more importantly.... What in the ever lovin' world does that have to do with anything that's being discussed here? :squint:

GuySmiley

BillyBob said:
There are the Gospels in the Bible as well as the Gnostic Gospels. They all reference Jesus.
:thumb:

:waits patiently for the inevitable claim that we have to use extra-biblical sources, but not extra-biblcal sources that mention Jesus.:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Granite said:
Turbo: what part of "I'm not totally convinced of Dougherty's argument" don't you understand? :think:
Do you think that gives you a pass or something?

Granite, I wasn't referring to Dougherty; I was referring to you. I remember the kick you were on a while back in which you claimed that the Jesus Paul wrote of was not the same as the Jesus written of in the gospels, that he was more like a Greek god or hero. And you claimed that Paul didn't include any details whatsoever about Jesus' earthly life. Therefore when I read the rebuttal of those claims (which are also made by Jesus-myth folks), I thought of you.

Is this no longer your position?

So tell us: Why are you not totally convinced of Dougherty's argument? What weaknesses do you see in it? What's holding you back (other than maybe the wiggle room you think your "not totally convinced" stance gives you)?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A side note.

A side note.

Knight said:
Caesar may have got a month named after Him but every single year for all of history in virtually every culture number their years after Jesus Christ.
Granite said:
I guess you assume we all think "Augustus" or "Octavian" (that makes two) when you say the word "Caesar." Other people think "Julius." Now we have clarification...
Knight had been talking about Caesar Augustus all along.

August is named after Augustus, but October is not.

October got it's name for being the eighth month, just as September had been the seventh month, November had been the ninth month, and December had been the tenth month.

By the way, we have a month named after Julius as well.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
eisenreich said:
This doesn't seem to be the strongest argument.. Take Apollonius, a contemporary of Jesus, who was born 1 CE:
He wrote many books and treatises on a wide variety of subjects during his life, including science, medicine, and philosophy. A few decades after his death, the Emperor Hadrian made a collection of his letters, though it was Philostratus's biography that made him into a major figure of religious history. (wiki)​
I'll see your biography and raise you three. Four biographies by the subject's contemporaries, whose accounts corroborate, is much more reliable than a lone biographer's dubious work from a century after the subject's death. ("...if he did die...")

Can you provide "similar evidence" that Jesus wrote several books and letters throughout the course of his life? Can you provide anything that Jesus wrote during his lifetime? If not, maybe you're holding Jesus to a lower standard of evidence than other people in history..
I can't find any symphonies that Apollonius wrote. Maybe that is evidence that he didn't exist. Or maybe we just hold him to a "lower standard of evidence" than we do folks like Beethoven and Mozart. ;)

eisenreich, you're idea of what is meant by "similar evidence" goes a bit too far. Similar does not mean identical. Jesus was not an author, but he did have a public ministry which was written of by his closest friends (John, Peter) and family (James, Jude).

Of course, the Apollonius-myth folks would dismiss the books and treatises supposedly written by Apollonius as forgeries. And of course we cannot trust the so-called "biography" written by Philostratus who had not even been born during Apollonius (supposed) lifetime. From your wiki entry:

He is best known through the medium of the writer Philostratus, in whose biography some have seen an attempt to construct a rival to Jesus Christ; its peripatetic narrative structure is built upon a series of instructive dialogues and the sage's responses to places and events.

... Philostratus keeps up the mystery of his hero's life by saying, "Concerning the manner of his death, if he did die, the accounts are various."

Philostratus's biography contains a number of obviously fictitious stories, such as his mot upon the Colossus of Rhodes, long gone by the time of his birth; through them, however, it is possible to discern Apollonius's general character.

The narrative of Apollonius's travels, as they are reported by Philostratus on the basis of Damis, is so full of the miraculous that, in the words of Edward Gibbon, "we are at a loss to discover whether he was a sage, an impostor, or a fanatic."​
...or a myth. :shocked:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
allsmiles said:
Let me know how Jesus compares, historically, to any of these folks, and when you discover any evidence for his existence in our historical timeline aside from mere belief in him, let me know.
I have already mentioned the four Gospel accounts as well as the epistles by John, Peter, James, and Jude.

And maybe you missed my earlier mention of the last section of Wikipedia's Jesus as myth article:

Criticism of the theory

As with any theory, the Jesus Myth idea has several major criticisms. This does not distinguish it from the Jesus as Christ idea, which has an even more significant number of criticisms against it.

· The majority of scholarship believes there was a historical Jesus.[32] The reason scholars give is that for an ancient person and event, there are a relative plethora (by ancient historical standards) of sources from the same century.

· Celsus, a first century critic of Christianity, accused Jesus of being a bastard child and a sorcerer. He never questions Jesus' historicity even though he hated Christianity and Jesus.[33] He is quoted as saying that Jesus was a "mere man."[34] Furthermore, there is debate whether Suetonius, who wrote in the second century, made reference to Christianity existing in 41 CE, though the majority of scholars believe that the reference cannot be interpreted in this fashion.[35] Lastly, there are passages of debatable significance from the historian Tacitus and satirist Lucian of Samosata, which credit "Christ" as the founder of Christianity.[36]

· Parallels between Christianity and Mystery Religions are not considered compelling evidence by most scholarship. According to a Christian apologist, Michael Licona, has summed up the viewpoint of this era's historiography:

Most scholars have abandoned the religionsgeschichtliche or what was known as the “history of religions” school that regarded parallels as conclusive signs that Christianity was cut from the same cloth as ancient myth. Further research has revealed that many of the parallels to which they refer postdate the Gospels.[37]​

· Through cultural diffusion it would have been natural for Jesus and/or his followers within a Hellenized Judea to incorporate the philosophy and sentiment of Epicureanism, Stoicism, Platonism/proto-Gnosticism, and mystery cults.[38] The ideas that these belief systems brought concerning the afterlife, presence of the divine, and wisdom were incorporated into Judaism for several centuries before Jesus and can be found in the Old Testament.

· Proponents of the Jesus Myth disagree with the notion that the apostle Paul did speak of Jesus as a physical being. This is largely an argument from silence. Furthermore, it is slightly a distortion, because the Apostle Paul contradicts this viewpoint. He claims that Jesus "descended from David according to the flesh"[39], took "the form of a slave, being born in human likeness, And being found in human form,"[40]. Paul also states that " God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law."[41] and "the resurrection of the dead has also come through a human being."[42] Furthermore, he invokes the "command," "charge," or "word" of Jesus four times[43] in the Epistles. Scholars believe that the apostle Paul did not quote Jesus more often, because he took for granted that Christians knew what Jesus said. Jesus Myth proponents believe this is a weak argument from silence.

· The Epistle to the Hebrews is debatably an early source, which some, but not all, scholars put before 70 CE. Their reasoning is that the Epistle makes mention of animal sacrifice, which was a practice that fell out of favor in Judaism after the destruction of the temple. In Hebrews, Jesus is mentioned several times in physical form[44] and even speaks.[45]​

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A recap...

A recap...

Turbo said:
If allsmiles acknowledges someone he believes existed around the first century, we'll be able to see if he's consistent in his demand for evidence, or if his demands are much higher when it comes to Jesus. If he provides a name, next he will be asked why he believes that person existed...

To sum up, allsmiles doesn't want to affirm belief in the existence of anyone from 2000 years ago because if he knows that if he does, he'll be asked to substantiate that belief.

Knight said:
So tell us...

What makes you believe that the following fellows actually existed?
- Sun Tzu
- Ban Biao
- Deng Yu.
- Junius Annaeus Gallio
- Confucius
- Gnaeus Domitius Corbulo
- Lucius Aelius Seianus

What is it about these fellers that makes you comfortable enough to admit that believe they existed?

allsmiles said:
I don't know Knight... I only listed these people in the hopes that playing along with you would motivate you to answer my questions.

There's nothing wrong with using wikipedia as a quick and convenient source of encyclopedic knowledge.

Knight said:
So is that your answer? If wikipedia lists them as having existed then that's good enough for you?

I am just trying to determine your reasoning. If wikipedia is your answer that's fine with me, just say so.

allsmiles said:
No, that's not why...

I'm not interested in any of the people I listed... I don't care if they existed or not.

Knight said:
You don't know??? :doh:

I ask you to list for me anyone that you BELIEVE existed around the time of Jesus and so you post a list of six or so names and when I ask why you believe they existed you say you "don't know"???? If you "don't know" why on earth would you list them??? :chz4brnz:

allsmiles said:
It's more like I don't care. I listed them in the hopes that you'd find it in your heart to answer my requests for historical evidence of Christ in our historical timeline.

I don't care

I don't care

I don't care

I want evidence of Christ in our historical timeline right now.
Knight has been asking for you to give an example of what sort of evidence you typically find to be sufficient to conclude that a given person existed some 2000 years ago, and you utterly refuse. And we all know why. You've skipped ahead, curling up into the fetal position earlier into this volley than I had expected.

I'm glad eisenreich wasn't so cowardly. Although, he hadn't fully painted himself into the Jesus-never-existed corner either, so there was less at stake for him.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Turbo said:
Do you think that gives you a pass or something?

Granite, I wasn't referring to Dougherty; I was referring to you. I remember the kick you were on a while back in which you claimed that the Jesus Paul wrote of was not the same as the Jesus written of in the gospels, that he was more like a Greek god or hero. And you claimed that Paul didn't include any details whatsoever about Jesus' earthly life. Therefore when I read the rebuttal of those claims (which are also made by Jesus-myth folks), I thought of you.

Is this no longer your position?

So tell us: Why are you not totally convinced of Dougherty's argument? What weaknesses do you see in it? What's holding you back (other than maybe the wiggle room you think your "not totally convinced" stance gives you)?

:rotfl:

You kill me, you really do. Is this your latest anti-Granite tirade? Because you and some other folks here seem to come and go in cycles.

Paul doesn't include biographical details of Jesus' life, since you mention it. No virgin birth, no Mary, no Bethlehem. (Oddly enough this is what you'd expect from someone writing about a "messiah" he knew next to nothing about. Huh.) And Paul, I believe, presented a Christ very much at odds with the Jesus of the gospels. Thanks for reducing my opinions to a "kick." How very patronizing of you.

I don't believe the strength of the story can be based completely on mythology or pure invention; there is truth to any propaganda. I believe the Jesus myth is likely based on one or more individuals who created a Christ character.

Status
Not open for further replies.