Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Outlaw said:
:tunes:

"wikipedia tells him so"
lol.... I wasn't gonna go there. Especially since wikipedia acknowledges that there are some that question the existence of both Sun Tzu and Confucius. Personally I think that would be a stretch but hey it's worth mentioning. :cool:

allsmiles

Knight said:
Wow! What a difference a day makes! All of the sudden you believe people can exist! We are making progress by golly. :up:

So tell us...

What makes you believe that the following fellows actually existed?
- Sun Tzu
- Ban Biao
- Deng Yu.
- Junius Annaeus Gallio
- Confucius
- Gnaeus Domitius Corbulo
- Lucius Aelius Seianus

What is it about these fellers that makes you comfortable enough to admit that believe they existed?

I don't know Knight. I didn't understand why you asked until Turbo explained it and frankly I only listed these people in the hopes that playing along with you would motivate you to answer my questions.

There's nothing wrong with using wikipedia as a quick and convenient source of encyclopedic knowledge.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
I don't know Knight. I didn't understand why you asked until Turbo explained it and frankly I only listed these people in the hopes that playing along with you would motivate you to answer my questions.

There's nothing wrong with using wikipedia as a quick and convenient source of encyclopedic knowledge.
So is that your answer? If wikipedia lists them as having existed then that's good enough for you?

I am just trying to determine your reasoning. If wikipedia is your answer that's fine with me, just say so.

allsmiles

Knight said:
So is that your answer? If wikipedia lists them as having existed then that's good enough for you?

I am just trying to determine your reasoning. If wikipedia is your answer that's fine with me, just say so.

No, that's not why, I already said that I don't know and I'm getting impatient with you ignoring my reasons for being in this "discussion" in the first place.

I'm not interested in any of the people I listed, only Jesus and why you believe he's historical rather than merely mythological. Like I said, you asked for other historical names from that general era, so I listed them. Do with them as you'd like, I don't care if they existed or not.

This is not about me and it never has been.

This is about you.

eisenreich

Knight said:
Granite, eisenrich are you going to join allsmiles and the 6 other people on earth who think Jesus didn't exist?

Please make a stand one way or the other. Otherwise there is no reason for you to post in this thread.
I've yet to read Doherty's book, though it is on my list. From what I have read, he does have some sound arguments and the closest any Christian has come to the theory is to hurl ad homs (thanks for not breaking the streak). The implications of him being right are just too frightening, so they dismiss his work outright. I can't take an absolute position without first researching both sides, which is what separates you from allsmiles and I.

Now, I asked the following question; you must have missed it:

I merely showed that the writings of Apollonius prove that he, at the very least, existed. Turbo said that he would provide similar evidence for any person allsmiles could come up with. Is there similar evidence for Jesus when compared to Apollonius' writings? Notice I didn't say that being an author is required as proof of existence, but it certainly helps. With that said, do you have a single letter or book that Jesus wrote?

Last edited:

allsmiles

eisenreich said:
I've yet to read Doherty's book, though it is on my list. From what I have read, he does have some sound arguments and the closest any Christian has come to the theory is to hurl ad homs (thanks for not breaking the streak). The implications of him being right are just too frightening, so they dismiss his work outright. I can't take an absolute position without first researching both sides, which is what separates you from allsmiles and I.

You might read his book and find it absolutely preposterous, but the important thing is that you would actually educate yourself on the subject.

www.jesuspuzzle.org

Now, I asked the following question; you must have missed it:

I merely showed that the writings of Apollonius prove that he, at the very least, existed. Turbo said that he would provide similar evidence for any person allsmiles could come up with. Is there similar evidence for Jesus when compared to Apollonius' writings? Notice I didn't say that being an author is required as proof of existence, but it certainly helps. With that said, do you have a single letter or book that Jesus wrote?

:thumb:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
No, that's not why, I already said that I don't know and I'm getting impatient with you ignoring my reasons for being in this "discussion" in the first place.
You don't know??? :doh:

I ask you to list for me anyone that you BELIEVE existed around the time of Jesus and so you post a list of six or so names and when I ask why you believe they existed you say you "don't know"???? If you "don't know" why on earth would you list them??? :chz4brnz:

And just when I thought we were making progress! :(

Hmmmm..... where to go from here... where to go.... :think:

:idea: OK, let me start here....

I believe Jesus existed because He has an entry on wikipedia.com! That and the fact that the other day while cooking toast, I could have sworn I saw the image of Jesus cooked on the face of my Wonder Bread.

How is that? Is that good enough for you? After all... it's clearly more substantive evidence than your "I don't know".

eisenreich

Knight said:
Knight:

I asked the following question; you must have missed it:

I merely showed that the writings of Apollonius prove that he, at the very least, existed. Turbo said that he would provide similar evidence for any person allsmiles could come up with. Is there similar evidence for Jesus when compared to Apollonius' writings? Notice I didn't say that being an author is required as proof of existence, but it certainly helps.

With that said, do you have a single letter or book that Jesus wrote?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
eisenreich said:
Knight:

I asked the following question; you must have missed it:

I merely showed that the writings of Apollonius prove that he, at the very least, existed. Turbo said that he would provide similar evidence for any person allsmiles could come up with. Is there similar evidence for Jesus when compared to Apollonius' writings? Notice I didn't say that being an author is required as proof of existence, but it certainly helps.

With that said, do you have a single letter or book that Jesus wrote?
I already responded to you (go back a see for yourself). Please try to stay up to speed. I assure you that authors are not the only people who exist. :)

And to expand on my earlier answer, while Jesus wasn't an author Himself He did have several others write about Him not the least of which is that the apostle Paul who stated that all of his gospel was given to him directly from Jesus (see Galatians chapter 1). Therefore, while Jesus didn't spend His time writing there is ample evidence of His existence through other authors on His behalf.

Also, I do not intend to discuss this with you further until you make a stand one way or the other. Do you believe Jesus existed? YES or NO? There is nothing worse than investing time in a discussion only to find out your opponent doesn't actually believe what he is saying.

eisenreich

Knight said:
And to expand on my earlier answer, while Jesus wasn't an author Himself He did have several others write about Him not the least of which is that the apostle Paul who stated that all of his gospel was given to him directly from Jesus (see Galatians chapter 1). Therefore, while Jesus didn't spend His time writing there is ample evidence of His existence through other authors on His behalf.
So that's a 'no' on whether Jesus wrote anything. Ever. Next!

Ok, so Paul stated that all of his gospel was "given to him directly from Jesus.
Did Paul ever meet Jesus in the flesh? (Just looking for another yes/no answer..)

Knight said:
Also, I do not intend to discuss this with you further until you make a stand one way or the other. Do you believe Jesus existed? YES or NO? There is nothing worse than investing time in a discussion only to find out your opponent doesn't actually believe what he is saying.
Since you only seem to be able to operate under binary conditions, let's get this over with so we can continue.. NO I do not believe that Jesus was God. NO I do not believe that he was resurrected after the third day. I NEED TO READ MORE FROM DOHERTY'S POSTION BEFORE I CAN MAKE A DECISION WHETHER HIS ARGUMENTS REGARDING THE EXISTENCE OF JESUS ARE CONVINCING AND SUPPORTED BY THE EVIDENCE

To be honest, I enjoy having these discussions because it forces me to study both sides of a position. All AS and I are asking is that you humor us and honestly answer a few questions. We're more than happy to do the same.

allsmiles

Knight said:
You don't know??? :doh:

I ask you to list for me anyone that you BELIEVE existed around the time of Jesus and so you post a list of six or so names and when I ask why you believe they existed you say you "don't know"???? If you "don't know" why on earth would you list them??? :chz4brnz:

It's more like I don't care. I listed them in the hopes that you'd find it in your heart to answer my requests for historical evidence of Christ in our historical timeline.

I don't care

I don't care

I don't care

I want evidence of Christ in our historical timeline right now.

And just when I thought we were making progress! :(

Hmmmm..... where to go from here... where to go.... :think:

Don't hurt yourself.

So far answering what should have been an easy question has been too much for you :chuckle: You can't even provide a shred of evidence for the physical existence of your alleged Lord and Savior in our historical timeline.

Why should I care what you think or what you want?

:idea: OK, let me start here....

I believe Jesus existed because He has an entry on wikipedia.com! That and the fact that the other day while cooking toast, I could have sworn I saw the image of Jesus cooked on the face of my Wonder Bread.

How is that? Is that good enough for you? After all... it's clearly more substantive evidence than your "I don't know".

That's fantastic.

What should have been a no brainer is nothing more than an opportunity for you to make jokes.

What a great testament to your faith.

Jesus existed because you have an innane sense of humor and a dearth of simple answers to simple questions. I'll remember this when I'm standing before your god. What's your name? I want him to know exactly who let me down.

:loser:

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
allsmiles said:
I'll remember this when I'm standing before your god. What's your name? I want him to know exactly who let me down.

:loser:

If you are counting on people to save you, you are going to need a bigger sheet of paper.......

allsmiles

BillyBob said:
If you are counting on people to save you, you are going to need a bigger sheet of paper.......

When I spoke to Knight on Bob Enyart Live he said that he prayed for me every day and would keep working on me.

Do you see any of that happening here?

Can you provide evidence of Christ's existence in our historical timeline?

allsmiles

I'll take that as a "no" BillyBob, thanks for playing.

Can anyone provide the slightest shred of evidence to support the idea that Christ physically existed in our historical timeline?

Come on folks, this should be a no brainer, you should have something right now that'll blow me outta the water. It should at least be better than belief as evidence.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
allsmiles said:
I'll take that as a "no" BillyBob, thanks for playing.

"No" what? I didn't answer you within 15 seconds so you're suddenly putting words in my mouth?

Don't get smarmy with me, that crap never works out in your favor and you know it.

Can anyone provide the slightest shred of evidence to support the idea that Christ physically existed in our historical timeline?

Sure, it's a little thing called 'Christianity'.

Come on folks, this should be a no brainer, you should have something right now that'll blow me outta the water.

I have a hand grenade and a bazooka, which do you prefer?

It should at least be better than belief as evidence.

What are your reasons for rejecting the 'Historical Jesus'?

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
allsmiles said:
When I spoke to Knight on Bob Enyart Live he said that he prayed for me every day and would keep working on me.

Do you see any of that happening here?

You missed my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.