ECT Anyone want to see why Paul had problems with the Law?

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
Over in Religion at:
http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...rding-adultery&p=4772242&posted=1#post4772242

a person very familiar with the vocabulary of the Law on marriage and sex has weighed in on Rom 7, polygamy, etc.

I have responded at #214 because this is about why Paul would regard the Law as 'the weak and miserable elements of the world' that is 'powerless to stop sensual indulgence.' Who needs enemies of purity and restraint when you've got 'pals' like this?

Rotfl.... I thought the same thing. I had to clarify, but I suspected so. David is the future King of Israel, by direct Davidic Covenant scripture. They don't understand the Christological aspect of the covenant.

To see them try to rationalize that David was innocent shocked me.

That was a trip!

Sent from my iPad using TOL ~Jesus is the Theology and the Counselor is the Commentary

Interplanner

Rotfl.... I thought the same thing. I had to clarify, but I suspected so. David is the future King of Israel, by direct Davidic Covenant scripture. They don't understand the Christological aspect of the covenant.

To see them try to rationalize that David was innocent shocked me.

That was a trip!

Sent from my iPad using TOL ~Jesus is the Theology and the Counselor is the Commentary

And then there is the premarital sex statement. What about the narrative of Tamar and Jacob or whoever? Yohanon destroyed the background of that--or else the law really was quite a bit more primitive than most of us realize.

I wrote that polygamy in the 2nd millenium was likely due to the loss of men during wars. Polygamy would have hastened the restoration of populations. But let me know if you find it still accepted in the IT or NT periods. In Corinth Paul says that a woman-son relationship would have shocked the pagans. Well, there were shocking things in Roman sexuality, in its households, but not polygamy.

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
And then there is the premarital sex statement. What about the narrative of Tamar and Jacob or whoever? Yohanon destroyed the background of that--or else the law really was quite a bit more primitive than most of us realize.

I wrote that polygamy in the 2nd millenium was likely due to the loss of men during wars. Polygamy would have hastened the restoration of populations. But let me know if you find it still accepted in the IT or NT periods. In Corinth Paul says that a woman-son relationship would have shocked the pagans. Well, there were shocking things in Roman sexuality, in its households, but not polygamy.

I thought my greasy gracer stance was naughty. [emoji12]

Tamar is a hilarious story.

My favorite part is;

24 About three months later Judah was told, “Your daughter-in-law, Tamar, has been acting like a prostitute, and now she is pregnant.”

“Bring her out!” Judah said. “Let her be burned to death!”

~ Judah is like... Let's burn this whore!

25 As she was being brought out, she sent her father-in-law this message: “I am pregnant by the man to whom these items belong.” And she added, “Examine them. Whose signet ring, cord, and staff are these?”

~ Then Judah probably turned 50 shades of grey! He was like; oh, I thought that woman was a town prostitute. My bad!

26 Judah recognized them and said, “She is more in the right than I, since I did not give her to my son Shelah.” And he did not know her intimately again.

~ Judah is like; So, um, no hard feelings about wanting to burn you alive, right?

[emoji12][emoji33][emoji43][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
Lol - quit reading into my words.

Study out those passages in Scripture where phrases like that one are found.

Oh, if you only knew how deeply I have. [emoji3]

I'm clinging to that hope. [emoji106]

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Smooth move xlax; but no cigar.

Considering that "that righteousness which is of the law" had been a legitimate system in it's own right; you haven't really answered the question - you only think you have...

Just goes to show the blindspot of attempting to solve for a thing via oversimplifications like relying only on the Greek alone; and or on dictionaries alone; and or on a few passages alone.

Mr Gazoo says to tell Barney to tell Fred to try again; you - otherwise no yaba-daba-daba-doo for you :chuckle:

You got sumpthin' you wanna add?

In light of.....

Acts 15:10
Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?

Danoh

DAN P,

Where are you going with that statement?

Do you believe that Righteousness comes by the Law of Moses?

Your questions to DP and I reveal your mind reading reading skills are anything but... :chuckle:

Danoh

You got sumpthin' you wanna add?

In light of.....

Acts 15:10
Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?

You're barking up the wrong tree; no one was talking about that...

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Link Here [emoji118]

He's wrong.

2 Samuel 11:26-27 KJV
(26) And when the wife of Uriah heard that Uriah her husband was dead, she mourned for her husband.
(27) And when the mourning was past, David sent and fetched her to his house, and she became his wife, and bare him a son. But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
He's wrong.

2 Samuel 11:26-27 KJV
(26) And when the wife of Uriah heard that Uriah her husband was dead, she mourned for her husband.
(27) And when the mourning was past, David sent and fetched her to his house, and she became his wife, and bare him a son. But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.

This is a perfect example of why the New Covenant of Faith, Hope and Love is so crucial.

Human obedience yields deceit, judgment and failure, while the imputed perfection of Christ and admission of our guilt yields Honesty, a sensitivity to the Spirit of Christ and Mercy.

It's a live example of Moses vs. Jesus.

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
Your questions to DP and I reveal your mind reading reading skills are anything but... :chuckle:

Fair enough. Lol.

I understand better now.

A psychic, I am not. [emoji6][emoji846]

Danoh

Check this link out in response to paragraph 10.

Cool. There's an ad on there for the new Ben Hur movie "In Theaters August 19."

Looking forward to it!

Nothing like movies set in that amazing Roman Empire!

Lol - that aside; yep to that passage of Scripture :thumb:

But; in Yohannon, you are dealing with an individual who's obvious over reliance on the endless books based traditions of men takes precedence over the Scripture he claims to believe in.

Par for the coarse on TOL.