Annihilationism is taught in the bible

nikolai_42

[FONT=&quot]Annihilationism is taught in the bible [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Annihilationism (also known as extinctionism or destructionism) is a belief that after the final judgment some human beings will be totally destroyed so as to not exist, or that their consciousness will be extinguished, rather than suffer everlasting torment in hell. Annihilationism is directly related to the doctrine of conditional immortality, the idea that a human soul is not immortal unless it is given eternal life by God.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Genesis 2:17[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Genesis 3:3[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.' "
God never said they could not examine the fruit.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Genesis 3:4[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
"You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
The serpent’s doctrine is that there is eternal life in Hell.
Note: The word Hell is nowhere to be found in the original bible text.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Deuteronomy 30:15[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Deuteronomy 32:39[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
"See now that I myself am He! There is no God besides me. I put to death and I bring to life, I have wounded and I will heal, and no one can deliver out of my hand.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1 Samuel 2:6[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
"The LORD brings death and makes alive; he brings down to the grave and raises up.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Proverbs 2:18[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
For her house leads down to death, and her paths to the death of spirits.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Proverbs 8:36[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
But whoever fails to find me harms himself; all who hate me love death."

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Proverbs 11:19[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
The truly righteous man attains life, but he who pursues evil goes to his death.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Proverbs 16:25[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Proverbs 23:14[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Punish him with the rod and save his soul from death.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Psalm 56:13[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Psalm 118:18[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
The LORD has chastened me severely, but he has not given me over to death.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hosea 13:14[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
"I will ransom them from the power of the grave ; I will redeem them from death. Where, O death, are your plagues? Where, O grave, is your destruction?

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Ezekiel 33:11[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Say to them, 'As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, O house of Israel?'

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Ezekiel 18:32[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Ezekiel 18:23[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
I do not take any pleasure in the death of the wicked declares the Sovereign LORD. Rather, I am pleased when they turn from their ways and live?

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Matthew 16:28[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death, but they will see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Mark 9:1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
And he said to them, "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death, but they will see the kingdom of God come with power."

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Luke 9:27[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death, but they will see the kingdom of God."

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]John 5:24[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hebrews 5:7[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hebrews 6:1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death,…

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]James 5:20[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Revelation 1:18[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades (Grave).

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Revelation 6:8[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades (Grave) was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Revelation 20:13[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and Death and Hades (grave) gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Revelation 20:14[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Then death and Hades (grave) were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Genesis 18:25[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Far be it from you to do such a thing—to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?”

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Isaiah 26:14[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]They are now dead, they live no more; their spirits do not rise.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] You punished them and brought them to ruin; you wiped out all memory of them.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Matthew 10:28[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
And do not fear them which can kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both (soul / spirit) and body in (hell / Gehenna. )

A soul consist of both body and spirit.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Ecclesiastes 9:5[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even their name is forgotten.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Job 27:8[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
For what hope have the godless when they are cut off, when God takes away their life?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Serpent's doctrine is that there is eternal life in Hell, and that God is a liar, and that people will not surly die.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Genesis 3:4[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
"You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Serpent’s Doctrine[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hell is the Serpent’s Doctrine that there is eternal life in Hell. Hell being a type of heaven according to Paganism.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A soul is a body with a spirit. A body without a spirit is dead. Spirit is the nature of a person, place, or thing. Both body and spirit cease to exist as a life force until they are called back into being by God. Every little thing about us is recorded before we die.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Spirits die with the body. If people were not called back into being by God, they would never live again.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ψυχην[/FONT][FONT=&quot] / soul, psyche, Spirit[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Soul / [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ψυχή[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Psyche / [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ψυχή[/FONT][FONT=&quot], ψυχοσύνθεση[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Spirit / [/FONT][FONT=&quot]πνεύμα, ψυχή, διάθεση, οινόπνευμα, φρόνημα, ζωή[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gehenna / A place of destruction. In a archaeological dig, no evidence of continual burning of trash was found. However, potsherds were found; a dump for broken clay pots.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Hebrew Ge Hinnom, literally "Valley of Hinnom." This was known in the Old Testament as Gei Ben-Hinnom, literally the "Valley of the son of Hinnom", and in the Talmud as גהנם Gehinnam or גהנום Gehinnom.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 Kings 23:10[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He desecrated Topheth, which was in the Valley of Ben Hinnom, so no one could use it to sacrifice their son or daughter in the fire to Molek.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In Context[/FONT][FONT=&quot] | [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Full Chapter[/FONT][FONT=&quot] | [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Other Translations[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 Chronicles 28:3[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He burned sacrifices in the Valley of Ben Hinnom and sacrificed his children in the fire, engaging in the detestable practices of the nations the Lord had driven out before the Israelites.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In Context[/FONT][FONT=&quot] | [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Full Chapter[/FONT][FONT=&quot] | [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Other Translations[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 Chronicles 33:6[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He sacrificed his children in the fire in the Valley of Ben Hinnom, practiced divination and witchcraft, sought omens, and consulted mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the eyes of the Lord, arousing his anger.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nehemiah 11:30[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Zanoah, Adullam and their villages, in Lachish and its fields, and in Azekah and its settlements. So they were living all the way from Beersheba to the Valley of Hinnom.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jeremiah 7:31[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]They have built the high places of Topheth in the Valley of Ben Hinnom to burn their sons and daughters in the fire—something I did not command, nor did it enter my mind.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jeremiah 7:32[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So beware, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when people will no longer call it Topheth or the Valley of Ben Hinnom, but the Valley of Slaughter, for they will bury the dead in Topheth until there is no more room.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jeremiah 19:2[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]and go out to the Valley of Ben Hinnom, near the entrance of the Potsherd Gate. There proclaim the words I tell you,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jeremiah 19:6[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So beware, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when people will no longer call this place Topheth or the Valley of Ben Hinnom, but the Valley of Slaughter.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jeremiah 32:35[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]They built high places for Baal in the Valley of Ben Hinnom to sacrifice their sons and daughters to Molek, though I never commanded—nor did it enter my mind—that they should do such a detestable thing and so make Judah sin.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

The idea of soul sleep is separate from Annihilationism. You can make a case for soul sleep (as Tyndale, Luther and Wishart all seem to have done) but denying the eternality of awareness is a different matter.

And many of them that sleep in the dust shall awake, some to everlasting life, some to everlasting shame and contempt.
Daniel 12:2

He furnace of fire Jesus mentions entails weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth. Not entire eradication.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Last edited:

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
From Gotquestions.org

Annihilationism is the belief that unbelievers will not experience an eternity of suffering in hell, but will instead be “extinguished” after death. For many, annihilationism is an attractive belief because of the awfulness of the idea of people spending eternity in hell. While there are some passages that seem to argue for annihilationism, a comprehensive look at what the Bible says about the destiny of the wicked reveals the fact that punishment in hell is eternal. A belief in annihilationism results from a misunderstanding of one or more of the following doctrines: 1) the consequences of sin, 2) the justice of God, 3) the nature of hell.

In relation to the nature of hell, annihilationists misunderstand the meaning of the lake of fire. Obviously, if a human being were cast into a lake of burning lava, he/she would be almost instantly consumed. However, the lake of fire is both a physical and spiritual realm. It is not simply a human body being cast into the lake of fire; it is a human’s body, soul, and spirit. A spiritual nature cannot be consumed by physical fire. It seems that the unsaved are resurrected with a body prepared for eternity just as the saved are (Revelation 20:13; Acts 24:15). These bodies are prepared for an eternal fate.

Eternity is another aspect which annihilationists fail to fully comprehend. Annihilationists are correct that the Greek word aionion, which is usually translated “eternal,” does not by definition mean “eternal.” It specifically refers to an “age” or “eon,” a specific period of time. However, it is clear that in New Testament, aionion is sometimes used to refer to an eternal length of time. Revelation 20:10 speaks of Satan, the beast, and the false prophet being cast into the lake of fire and being tormented “day and night forever and ever.” It is clear that these three are not “extinguished” by being cast into the lake of fire. Why would the fate of the unsaved be any different (Revelation 20:14-15)? The most convincing evidence for the eternality of hell is Matthew 25:46, “Then they [the unsaved] will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.” In this verse, the same Greek word is used to refer to the destiny of the wicked and the righteous. If the wicked are only tormented for an “age,” then the righteous will only experience life in heaven for an “age.” If believers will be in heaven forever, unbelievers will be in hell forever.

Another frequent objection to the eternality of hell by annihilationists is that it would be unjust for God to punish unbelievers in hell for eternity for a finite amount of sin. How could it be fair for God to take a person who lived a sinful, 70-year life, and punish him/her for all of eternity? The answer is that our sin bears an eternal consequence because it is committed against an eternal God. When King David committed the sins of adultery and murder he stated, “Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight” (Psalm 51:4). David had sinned against Bathsheba and Uriah; how could David claim to have only sinned against God? David understood that all sin is ultimately against God. God is an eternal and infinite Being. As a result, all sin against Him is worthy of an eternal punishment. It is not a matter of the length of time we sin, but the character of the God against whom we sin.

A more personal aspect of annihilationism is the idea that we could not possibly be happy in heaven if we knew that some of our loved ones were suffering an eternity of torment in hell. However, when we arrive in heaven, we will not have anything to complain about or be saddened by. Revelation 21:4 tells us, “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” If some of our loved ones are not in heaven, we will be in 100 percent complete agreement that they do not belong there and that they are condemned by their own refusal to accept Jesus Christ as their Savior (John 3:16; 14:6). It is hard to understand this, but we will not be saddened by the lack of their presence. Our focus should not be on how we can enjoy heaven without all of our loved ones there, but on how we can point our loved ones to faith in Christ so that they will be there.

Hell is perhaps a primary reason why God sent Jesus Christ to pay the penalty for our sins. Being “extinguished” after death is no fate to dread, but an eternity in hell most definitely is. Jesus’ death was an infinite death, paying our infinite sin debt so that we would not have to pay it in hell for eternity (2 Corinthians 5:21). When we place our faith in Him, we are saved, forgiven, cleansed, and promised an eternal home in heaven. But if we reject God’s gift of eternal life, we will face the eternal consequences of that decision.

CherubRam

"Thou shat surely die" being understood as thou shalt become mortal, subject to death of the body.

[FONT=&quot]Matthew 10:28[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the spirit. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both spirit and body in Gehenna.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Isaiah 26:14[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]They are now dead, they live no more; their spirits do not rise.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] You punished them and brought them to ruin; you wiped out all memory of them.[/FONT]

CherubRam

From Gotquestions.org

Annihilationism is the belief that unbelievers will not experience an eternity of suffering in hell, but will instead be “extinguished” after death. For many, annihilationism is an attractive belief because of the awfulness of the idea of people spending eternity in hell. While there are some passages that seem to argue for annihilationism, a comprehensive look at what the Bible says about the destiny of the wicked reveals the fact that punishment in hell is eternal. A belief in annihilationism results from a misunderstanding of one or more of the following doctrines: 1) the consequences of sin, 2) the justice of God, 3) the nature of hell.

In relation to the nature of hell, annihilationists misunderstand the meaning of the lake of fire. Obviously, if a human being were cast into a lake of burning lava, he/she would be almost instantly consumed. However, the lake of fire is both a physical and spiritual realm. It is not simply a human body being cast into the lake of fire; it is a human’s body, soul, and spirit. A spiritual nature cannot be consumed by physical fire. It seems that the unsaved are resurrected with a body prepared for eternity just as the saved are (Revelation 20:13; Acts 24:15). These bodies are prepared for an eternal fate.

Eternity is another aspect which annihilationists fail to fully comprehend. Annihilationists are correct that the Greek word aionion, which is usually translated “eternal,” does not by definition mean “eternal.” It specifically refers to an “age” or “eon,” a specific period of time. However, it is clear that in New Testament, aionion is sometimes used to refer to an eternal length of time. Revelation 20:10 speaks of Satan, the beast, and the false prophet being cast into the lake of fire and being tormented “day and night forever and ever.” It is clear that these three are not “extinguished” by being cast into the lake of fire. Why would the fate of the unsaved be any different (Revelation 20:14-15)? The most convincing evidence for the eternality of hell is Matthew 25:46, “Then they [the unsaved] will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.” In this verse, the same Greek word is used to refer to the destiny of the wicked and the righteous. If the wicked are only tormented for an “age,” then the righteous will only experience life in heaven for an “age.” If believers will be in heaven forever, unbelievers will be in hell forever.

Another frequent objection to the eternality of hell by annihilationists is that it would be unjust for God to punish unbelievers in hell for eternity for a finite amount of sin. How could it be fair for God to take a person who lived a sinful, 70-year life, and punish him/her for all of eternity? The answer is that our sin bears an eternal consequence because it is committed against an eternal God. When King David committed the sins of adultery and murder he stated, “Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight” (Psalm 51:4). David had sinned against Bathsheba and Uriah; how could David claim to have only sinned against God? David understood that all sin is ultimately against God. God is an eternal and infinite Being. As a result, all sin against Him is worthy of an eternal punishment. It is not a matter of the length of time we sin, but the character of the God against whom we sin.

A more personal aspect of annihilationism is the idea that we could not possibly be happy in heaven if we knew that some of our loved ones were suffering an eternity of torment in hell. However, when we arrive in heaven, we will not have anything to complain about or be saddened by. Revelation 21:4 tells us, “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” If some of our loved ones are not in heaven, we will be in 100 percent complete agreement that they do not belong there and that they are condemned by their own refusal to accept Jesus Christ as their Savior (John 3:16; 14:6). It is hard to understand this, but we will not be saddened by the lack of their presence. Our focus should not be on how we can enjoy heaven without all of our loved ones there, but on how we can point our loved ones to faith in Christ so that they will be there.

Hell is perhaps a primary reason why God sent Jesus Christ to pay the penalty for our sins. Being “extinguished” after death is no fate to dread, but an eternity in hell most definitely is. Jesus’ death was an infinite death, paying our infinite sin debt so that we would not have to pay it in hell for eternity (2 Corinthians 5:21). When we place our faith in Him, we are saved, forgiven, cleansed, and promised an eternal home in heaven. But if we reject God’s gift of eternal life, we will face the eternal consequences of that decision.

The word HELL is not even in the original bible text, it was added by the translators who believe in the Pagan religion of Hell.

CherubRam

The idea of soul sleep is separate from Annihilationism. You can make a case for soul sleep (as Tyndale, Luther and Wishart all seem to have done) but denying the eternality of awareness is a different matter.

And many of them that sleep in the dust shall awake, some to everlasting life, some to everlasting shame and contempt.[/]
Daniel 12:2

He furnace of fire Jesus mentions entails weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth. Not entire eradication.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

The weeping and gnashing of teeth has to do with the day of the final judgement. Regards to soul sleep: If God did not bring them back into being, they would never live again. The Elect go on to live, and the condemned are cut off from their life in the SECOND DEATH.

John 11
11 “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up.”

12 His disciples replied, “Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better.” 13 Yahshua had been speaking of his death, but his disciples thought he meant natural sleep.

14 So then he told them plainly, “Lazarus is dead,

Last edited:

Arthur Brain

From Gotquestions.org

A good reason not to consult gotquestions.org for, well, anything really...

The most sadistic, psychopathic entity unimaginable would pale in comparison to a being that would torment people in excruciating pain interminably. That's the trouble with doctrines, they make monsters of God and man sometimes.

CherubRam

The weeping and gnashing of teeth has to do with the day of the final judgement. Regards to soul sleep: If God did not bring them back into being, they would never live again. The Elect go on to live, and the condemned are cut off from their life in the SECOND DEATH.

John 11

12 His disciples replied, “Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better.” 13 Yahshua had been speaking of his death, but his disciples thought he meant natural sleep.

CherubRam

[FONT=&quot]Punishment[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matthew 25:46[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 Peter 2:9[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials and to hold the unrighteous for punishment on the day of judgment.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]J[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ude 1:7[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Revelation 17:1[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and said to me, “Come, I will show you the punishment of the great prostitute, who sits by many waters.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Revelation 14:10[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]they, too, will drink the wine of God’s fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. They will be (tormented / punished) with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Revelation 14:11[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And the smoke of their (torment / punishment) will rise forever and ever. There will be no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and its image, or for anyone who receives the mark of its name.” [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Basanizo / Basanismos[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In Revelation 14:10, the word “basanizo” is translated as “tormented” (past tense verb)[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In Revelation 14:11, the word “basanismos” is translated as “torment” (noun)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Both these words come from the root “basanos,” which is defined by Strong’s as “a touchstone.” Webster defines the word “touchstone” as: “1. A stone by which metals are examined; a black, smooth, glossy stone… 2. Any test or criterion by which the qualities of a thing are tried; as money, the touchstone of common honesty.”[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You will find this interesting considering that the definition of the Greek word that was translated as “torment,” not only has nothing to do with eternal conscious torment, but it is actually a process that tests purity. So we can see that to be tormented in these verses is compared to being rubbed upon a touchstone.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Touch·stone[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]noun[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]noun: touchstone; plural noun: touchstones[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]a piece of fine-grained dark schist or jasper formerly used for testing alloys of gold by observing the color of the mark that they made on it. A standard or criterion by which something is judged.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A person who is eternally (rubbed out) is dead forever.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Revelation 14:11.
There will be no rest day or night[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Psalm 95:11[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So I declared on oath in my anger, ‘They shall never enter my rest.’”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hebrews 3:11[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So I declared on oath in my anger, ‘They shall never enter my rest.’ ”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hebrews 4:3[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said, “So I declared on oath in my anger, ‘They shall never enter my rest.’” And yet his works have been finished since the creation of the world.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hebrews 4:5[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And again in the passage above he says, “They shall never enter my rest.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The choice is life or death. Satan says there is life in Hell, but God says we will surly die. Choose life, not death.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Arthur Brain

Probably one of the most insidious parts of this "gem" from "Gotquestions.org":

Yay folks. Don't worry about feeling sadness for anyone who you love who doesn't make it to Heaven cos you'll be in "complete agreement" that they deserve to be tormented for eternity anyway. You don't have to worry about feeling loss or pain anymore because that only applies to those in "the pit" and your tears and love for those nasty little unbelievers, be they children, spouses, parents and whoever will just magically be wiped away.

:plain:

Truster

[FONT="][URL="https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+10:28&version=NIV"]Matthew 10:28[/URL][/FONT]
[FONT="]Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the [B]spirit[/B]. Rather, [B]be afraid of the One who can destroy both [B]spirit[/B] and body in Gehenna.[/B][/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="][URL="https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+26:14&version=NIV"]Isaiah 26:14[/URL][/FONT]
[FONT="]They are now [B]dead[/B], they live no more; their [B]spirit[/B]s do not rise.[/FONT][/B][FONT="] You punished them and brought them to ruin; you wiped out all memory of them.[/FONT]

You are blind.

clefty

You are forgetting or never knew one vitally important fact in all this, as are some of the others here. I'll let you read it to figure it out...

[12] And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
[13] And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
[14] And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
[15] And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

See it?

Clefty's erroneous complaint above is a BIG clue to the key error you all are making.

Now its up to three places the dead go...the sea...death itself (not exactly sure where that is) and hell all 3 delivered up the dead in them...havent heard much about those in the sea drowning forever...what do those in death do?...I know what is said of those who are in hell...burning but not consumed forever...

AND THEN THEY WERE JUDGED

So they were in 3 respective places, the sea the death and hell BEFORE the judgement? Interesting...

And then death and hell were cast into the lack of fire...not clear where the sea went...and then finally whosoever was not found in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire...

So...death and hell are literal persons themselves or places? Or states of being or what?

clefty

"Thou shat surely die" being understood as thou shalt become mortal, subject to death of the body.

Man was already mortal...created that way by design and dependent on eating of the tree of life to live forever...is why he was forbidden access to it and thus eventually died...

No mention of life outside the body...so when body dies spirit returns to Creator and soul on hold until body and spirit reunite...

You know... dust + spirit = living soul

No confusion there...

clefty

It was. All you did was quote a passage insisting that there were erroneous mistakes in reasoning without even hinting at to just what they were. It was declaration masked as substance. Unfortunately there wasn't any.

No, you didn't address what I asked you, which is how the lake of fire can be literal given that intangibles are "cast" into it. If anything your answer supported the notion that it isn't literal at all despite your apparent insistence that the fire is physically real.

As if the scape goat felt the sins of Israel placed on it...

Or we are actually drowned dead at baptism...

Or He is actually bread to eat...

CherubRam

[FONT=&quot]Punishment[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matthew 25:46[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 Peter 2:9[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials and to hold the unrighteous for punishment on the day of judgment.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]J[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ude 1:7[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Revelation 17:1[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and said to me, “Come, I will show you the punishment of the great prostitute, who sits by many waters.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Revelation 14:10[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]they, too, will drink the wine of God’s fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. They will be (tormented / punished or rubbed out) with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy messengers and of the Lamb.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Revelation 14:11[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And the smoke of their (torment / punishment or being rubbed out) will rise forever and ever. There will be no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and its image, or for anyone who receives the mark of its name.” [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Revelation 20:10
And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be (tormented / punished or rubbed out) day and night for ever and ever.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Basanizo / Basanismos[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In Revelation 14:10, the word “basanizo” is translated as “tormented” (past tense verb)[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In Revelation 14:11, the word “basanismos” is translated as “torment” (noun)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Revelation 20:10, the word “basanizo” is translated as “tormented” (past tense verb)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]These words come from the root “basanos,” which is defined by Strong’s as “a touchstone.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Webster defines the word “touchstone” as: “1. A stone by which metals are examined; a black, smooth, glossy stone… 2. Any test or criterion by which the qualities of a thing are tried; as money, the touchstone of common honesty.”[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You will find this interesting considering that the definition of the Greek word that was translated as “torment,” not only has nothing to do with eternal conscious torment, but it is actually a process that tests purity. So we can see that to be tormented in these verses is compared to being rubbed upon a touchstone.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Touch·stone[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]noun[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]noun: touchstone; plural noun: touchstones[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]a piece of fine-grained dark schist or jasper formerly used for testing alloys of gold by observing the color of the mark that they made on it. A standard or criterion by which something is judged.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Metal was tested by rubbing it out on the stone.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A person who is eternally (rubbed out) is dead forever.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Revelation 14:11.
[FONT=&quot]Psalm 95:11[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So I declared on oath in my anger, ‘They shall never enter my rest.’”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hebrews 3:11[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So I declared on oath in my anger, ‘They shall never enter my rest.’ ”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hebrews 4:3[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said, “So I declared on oath in my anger, ‘They shall never enter my rest.’” And yet his works have been finished since the creation of the world.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hebrews 4:5[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And again in the passage above he says, “They shall never enter my rest.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The choice is life or death. Satan says there is life in Hell, but God says we will surly die. Choose life, not death.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

clefty

[FONT="]Punishment[/FONT][/B][FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Matthew 25:46[/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][FONT="][/FONT]
[FONT="]“Then they will go away to eternal [B]punishment[/B], but the righteous to eternal life.”[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[URL="https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Peter+2:9&version=NIV"][FONT="]2 Peter 2:9[/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][FONT="][/FONT]
[FONT="]if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials and to hold the unrighteous for [B]punishment[/B] on the day of judgment.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]J[/FONT][URL="https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jude+1:7&version=NIV"][FONT="]ude 1:7[/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][FONT="][/FONT]
[FONT="]In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the [B]punishment[/B] of eternal fire. [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[URL="https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation+17:1&version=NIV"][FONT="]Revelation 17:1[/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][FONT="][/FONT]
[FONT="]One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and said to me, “Come, I will show you the [B]punishment[/B] of the great prostitute, who sits by many waters.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[URL="https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation+14:10&version=NIV"][FONT="]Revelation 14:10[/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][FONT="][/FONT]
[FONT="]they, too, will drink the wine of God’s fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. They will be (tormented / [B]punished or rubbed out[/B]) with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy messengers and of the Lamb.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[URL="https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation+14:11&version=NIV"][FONT="]Revelation 14:11[/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][FONT="][/FONT]
[FONT="]And the smoke of their (torment / [B]punishment or being rubbed out[/B]) will rise forever and ever. There will be [B]no rest day or night[/B] for those who worship the beast and its image, or for anyone who receives the mark of its name.” [/FONT]
[FONT="]Revelation 20:10
And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be (tormented / punished or rubbed out) day and night for ever and ever.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[COLOR=black][FONT="]Basanizo / Basanismos[/FONT][FONT="]

[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT="][/FONT]
[FONT="]In Revelation 14:10, the word “basanizo” is translated as “tormented” (past tense verb)[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT="]

[/FONT]
[FONT="][/FONT]
[COLOR=black][FONT="]In Revelation 14:11, the word “basanismos” is translated as “torment” (noun)[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Revelation 20:10, [COLOR=black]the word “basanizo” is translated as “tormented” (past tense verb)[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]These words come from the root “basanos,” which is defined by Strong’s as “a touchstone.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT="] Webster defines the word “touchstone” as: “1. A stone by which metals are examined; a black, smooth, glossy stone… 2. Any test or criterion by which the qualities of a thing are tried; as money, the touchstone of common honesty.”[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]You will find this interesting considering that the definition of the Greek word that was translated as “torment,” not only has nothing to do with eternal conscious torment, but it is actually a process that tests purity. So we can see that to be tormented in these verses is compared to being rubbed upon a touchstone.[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[B][FONT="]Touch·stone[/FONT]

[FONT="]noun[/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT="]noun: touchstone; plural noun: touchstones[/FONT]

[FONT="]a piece of fine-grained dark schist or jasper formerly used for testing alloys of gold by observing the color of the mark that they made on it. A standard or criterion by which something is judged.[/FONT]
[FONT="]Metal was tested by rubbing it out on the stone.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]A person who is eternally (rubbed out) is dead forever.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Revelation 14:11.
[URL="https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+95:11&version=NIV"][FONT="]Psalm 95:11[/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][FONT="][/FONT]
[FONT="]So I declared on oath in my anger, [B]‘They shall never enter my rest.’”[/B][/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[URL="https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+3:11&version=NIV"][FONT="]Hebrews 3:11[/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][FONT="][/FONT]
[FONT="]So I declared on oath in my anger, [B]‘They shall never enter my rest.’ ”[/B][/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[URL="https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+4:3&version=NIV"][FONT="]Hebrews 4:3[/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][FONT="][/FONT]
[FONT="]Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said, “So I declared on oath in my anger, [B]‘They shall never enter my rest.’”[/B] And yet his works have been finished since the creation of the world.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[URL="https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+4:5&version=NIV"][FONT="]Hebrews 4:5[/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][FONT="][/FONT]
[FONT="]And again in the passage above he says, [B]“They shall never enter my rest.”[/B][/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]The choice is life or death. Satan says there is life in Hell, but God says we will surly die. Choose life, not death.[/FONT][/B][FONT="][/FONT]

Yup...

No access to the tree of life in Hell=no life or consciousness...as when man was denied the ability to eat from it...man died

Only One is immortal...

nikolai_42

You pass by the fact that what is everlasting is the shame and the contempt...that isn't extinction - that's ongoing loathing. Self-awareness.

John 11

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying here, I'm not taking issue with soul sleep (as I say, Tyndale, Luther and Wishart all seemed to have some sympathy with it...) but it has to be separated from annihilationism - which is pretty clearly taught against in the passages I mentioned.

Last edited:

CherubRam

You pass by the fact that what is everlasting is the shame and the contempt...that isn't extinction - that's ongoing loathing. Self-awareness.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying here, I'm not taking issue with soul sleep (as I say, Tyndale, Luther and Wishart all seemed to have some sympathy with it...) but it has to be separated from annihilationism - which is pretty clearly taught against in the passages I mentioned.

The shame and contempt is from the living, not the dead.

Soul sleep is a myth. Christ meant that when people are dead (before the second death) they are at rest until the awakening. Even so, it is God whom must bring them back to life.