Ann Coulter: There is no campus rape crisis

Granite

Hall of Fame
On the contrary, you keep missing my point. Please answer my questions. If you cannot, there's a reason for it. It has to do with equality of persons in jurisprudence.

:hammer:

I did. What part of "Yes, yes, yes" was hard to figure out?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why are you having such a problem understanding the concept of consent? This word seems to completely baffle you guys.

Apparently sex is not a weapon if you can get rid of that pesky word "consent". Who needs to consent? We are only women.

GFR7

Apparently sex is not a weapon if you can get rid of that pesky word "consent". Who needs to consent? We are only women.
Do persons need to consent, or only women? And if only women, then they clearly do not fall under the broad category of "rational persons". You can't have your cake and eat it, too. Either be rational persons or "women".

GFR7

So did you post this thread to talk about the OP or about gay culture?
To examine this very serious subject of new rules on campuses , and the effect it will have on young people.

I want to know if persons must give consent and be sober, or only women.

It sounds like only women as it's written. This kind of puts them outside the realm of "rational persons", legally.

I doubt gay men are going to concern themselves with this.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
To examine this very serious subject of new rules on campuses , and the effect it will have on young people. I want to know if persons must give consent and be sober, or only women. It sounds like only women as it's written. This kind of puts them outside the realm of "rational persons", legally. I doubt gay men are going to concern themselves with this.

Well then, let's focus on the OP.

Do you think women who report being assaulted are trying to get attention?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Coulter also said:

"Who doesn't report a brutal crime?"
How about women or girls who have been raped, groped or molested by a someone they knew (very often the case in campus rapes) or by a family member and never said anything out of shame and the fear that no one would believe them?

And then:

"College must be difficult for white, straight coeds, because it's so hard to be a victim. You're not black, you're not gay, you don't have leprosy -- what can you do to acquire victim cool? Join the rape club!"
Victim cool? Rape club?

GFR7

Well then, let's focus on the OP.

Do you think women who report being assaulted are trying to get attention?
I'm not sure, but I do know from studying philosophical jurisprudence that the class of "rational persons" is very important: Would a rational person deem this offensive, etc.

If I were a woman, I would want to know that ALL persons had to be sober and give consent to have sex.

Otherwise, if it only applied to women, I would feel I was being treated as a child, and as inferior to the class of "rational persons".

GFR7

Coulter also said:

How about women or girls who have been raped, groped or molested by a someone they knew (very often the case in campus rapes) or by a family member and never said anything out of shame and the fear that no one would believe them?

And then:

Victim cool? Rape club?
Well, she means if someone knifed you or mugged you, it wouldn't take you a long time to know it was a crime and to report it. Thus, rape seems iffy. Why should there be shame? If it's a crime, act like a reasonable person and report it.

Well, this is the era of victims. I wouldn't want to be a victim. It makes you look weak.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I'm not sure, but I do know from studying philosophical jurisprudence that the class of "rational persons" is very important: Would a rational person deem this offensive, etc.

If I were a woman, I would want to know that ALL persons had to be sober and give consent to have sex.

Otherwise, if it only applied to women, I would feel I was being treated as a child, and as inferior to the class of "rational persons".

You're trying to change the course of the conversation from the OP, and I'm not interested.

Are women who report assault just trying to get attention? Surely you can do better than "I'm not sure, but..."

GFR7

You're trying to change the course of the conversation from the OP, and I'm not interested.

Are women who report assault just trying to get attention? Surely you can do better than "I'm not sure, but..."
That's not the reason I made the OP. Look to what I say in the intro.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Well, she means if someone knifed you or mugged you, it wouldn't take you a long time to know it was a crime and to report it. Thus, rape seems iffy. Why should there be shame? If it's a crime, act like a reasonable person and report it.

Well, this is the era of victims. I wouldn't want to be a victim. It makes you look weak.

No, in effect she's saying if you didn't report it, then you weren't raped. And that's simply not true. Plain and simple.

Rape seems iffy how? Defining it as a brutal crime is iffy to you?

Why should there be shame? Because of people in society like you.

GFR7

No, in effect she's saying if you didn't report it, then you weren't raped. And that's simply not true. Plain and simple.

Rape seems iffy how? Defining it as a brutal crime is iffy to you?

Why should there be shame? Because of people in society like you.
BBM: Oh, please. Give me a break.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Of course it would have to apply to gay couples to be human. Because the law addresses persons. It's relevant, and what I'm saying is important.

You just have an agenda, that's all. You thought you'd turn what Coulter said about women back to your favorite topic. You're totally transparent.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You just have an agenda, that's all. You thought you'd turn what Coulter said about women back to your favorite topic. You're totally transparent.

Oh yeah. Rape doesn't exist. Women made it up to hurt men.

GFR7

Gays on campus would absolutely need to be brought into the new rape rules. Of course it matters. We're talking about sexual litigation on campus.

I think we need to bring this discourse up to a more sophisticated level. I'm not interested in mud-slinging; I'm interested in how these new laws will effect higher education. I wish Zippy2006 hadn't left TOL, because he would know how to speak objectively on this. I do see why he felt he had to leave.........