And once again, Stripe closed a thread to avoid embarassment

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My apology for the call-out thread. I wasn't aware that the moderators frowned on such things.

The forum would be better off if that feature (being able to close a thread at will) wasn't allowed for anybody, but that is certainly not my call.
I disagree, of course. Being able to close a thread when it has run its course or is overrun with drive-by posters derailing the thread I may have started is a very nice feature worth paying for. That said, I have started less than 40 threads in my entire tenure here. Now some folks around here that "make a living" at starting threads should consider signing up for a gold subscription at least. ;)

BTW, Lifetime members can even delete threads they have started; a benefit I felt worth the cost given some of the uncharitable or infelicitous things I have posted in the past that I wanted to never see the light of day again.

AMR

lukecash12

I disagree, of course. Being able to close a thread when it has run its course or is overrun with drive-by posters derailing the thread I may have started is a very nice feature worth paying for. That said, I have started less than 40 threads in my entire tenure here. Now some folks around here that "make a living" at starting threads should consider signing up for a gold subscription at least. ;)

BTW, Lifetime members can even delete threads they have started; a benefit I felt worth the cost given some of the uncharitable or infelicitous things I have posted in the past that I wanted to never see the light of day again.

AMR

There is some merit in both perspectives here. After all, there is some reason to be perturbed if you've posted charitable, edifying and felicitous content that has been deleted along with the rest of a thread.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is some merit in both perspectives here. After all, there is some reason to be perturbed if you've posted charitable, edifying and felicitous content that has been deleted along with the rest of a thread.
Good point. I think I may start posting a disclaimer in any future meaty thread I may start noting that the thread is subject to being closed and/or deleted. ;)

I regularly advise folks to create their masterpieces offline in a word processor before posting, too. That way they have a record of their waxing eloquence for the future.

AMR