OMEGA

JESUS DOES NOT LIE.

===================

YE ARE GODS, Sons of the Most High.

And if sons then HEIRS .

The First born of Many Brothers.

1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not

yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall

appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

:angel: :thumb: :princess: :think:

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Omega

I realize that there are various teachings on the topic. If you have an answer to the following, then it would be great if you would answer so that we could understand things better.

So are you saying that when we get to heaven the trinity will be wrong, you just count the number of beings who are like Jesus (a God Being), and then say that God is that many in one?

Do you think that all saved people will someday become a God Being?

Or do you think we will certainly remain less than “God”, unlike Jesus who was and still is fully God?

The devil and the anti-Christ’s most egregious sin was to make themselves out to be God. Man is most sinful when he serves to overturn the authority of God and not worship and trust in God. It is true that God makes us like Him, but you sound like He changes us from being “mankind” to being “God”. There is only one God, and His creation is not it. Please directly answer, this is an off topic issue so lets cut to the chase or take this elsewhere.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It would be interesting to know that if a change is planned then it isn't a change.

1Way

God and His nature or being includes one of the two following options. It can not be both, and it can not be neither, it has to be one or the other.
  1. Exhaustive Foreknowledge
  2. Change
Those two options entail the following realities in this world.
  1. Everything that will ever happen, must happen according to one unalterable destiny that is according to God’s EF
  2. The future holds at least some contingency, uncertainty, and options
While it is true that the closed theist tries to maintain EF, they can not do it when scripture teaches that God changes. The following eliminates the false ideas behind Closed Theism because in a world where God knows everything perfectly, there can be no options and no altered course of action. But the following shows only too clearly that God changes His mind and does not always do what He said and thought He was going to do.
  • Jer 18:7 "The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy [it], 8 "if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it.
And the Closed View is eliminated because God does not always do what He thought He was going to do. That directly denies that God has exhaustive foreknowledge, because if He actually had EF, then He would not ever change His mind about anything, so by definition God can never “change” His mind if He already knows everything.

So the closed view is a patently false and biblically contradictory teaching, and this thread has been a great success in showing just how bankrupt the CV is. You can get a bunch of closed theists together and ask them to specifically explain one half of a simple verse (Jonah 3:10b), and no one will answer what it means, but they will explain that it does not mean what it plainly says, because, God can not change. And in so stating, they self condemn themselves for contradicting scripture for the sake of their manmade tradition.

Honor and glory and praise to almighty God, His word is true.
  • ... and God relented from the disaster
    that He had said He would bring upon them,
    and He did not do it.

... I will relent of the disaster
    that I thought to bring upon it.
God is the living God, the God of the bible who repents and does not always do what He thought He would do.

God does indeed change, God's word is true.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It would be interesting to know that if a change is planned then it isn't a change.
Exactly. Now you understand; God doesn't change.
But a planned change isn't really a change. For example:

You are a king and your daughter is being courted by some prince. You don't like the guy, so you tell him, "I would love for you to marry my daughter. And to prove yourself worthy, you must jump from the tall tower to the pavement below. After which you may marry my daughter." Of course, you planned to change, when the young man became a messy spot on the pavement you were moved to stop the engagement.

As you can see, the plan was to change all along, and therefore was no change at all. The only difference being that you had to lie to feign a change.

If you can come up with a better example then please put it forth. I'll bet you cannot do it without making God the example.

Z Man

If you want your child to behave, what do you do? If you desire a certain behavior from them, most people would threaten them:

"You better behave or I will ground you"

God does the same thing to us. It's not lying. God threatening Ninevah was the best thing that ever happened for them, for it brought forth repentance. That is exactly what God had planned all along. The only way to get them to repent was to threaten them, since that was the action God took.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Your example is before the child does something wrong. If it were after, then you would not say, "behave or you will be grounded." You say, "you are grounded for what you've done wrong." And if you change your mind and don't ground, then it would mean you actually intended to ground the child in the first place. If you know you won't enforce the grounding when you say the child is grounded, and the child ignores your grounding, then you feigned a change that you didn't actually make – you never planned to ground the child which is the same as you planned to change.

So, the questions:
As you can see, the plan was to change all along, and therefore was no change at all. The only difference being that you had to lie to feign a change.

If you can come up with a better example then please put it forth. I'll bet you cannot do it without making God the example.
-And-
Did God send Jonah to Nineveh because they were evil, or because they hadn't done anything evil, but were at risk to do something evil?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Z Man

God threatening Ninevah was the best thing that ever happened for them, for it brought forth repentance. That is exactly what God had planned all along.
Well, really, the best thing for them, in light of a closed view perspective, would be for God to have made them to not sin at all.

The only way to get them to repent was to threaten them, since that was the action God took.
The only way? I thought the only way was for God to force them. You know, that whole iresistible grace thing. Why not just force them to love Him in the first place?

A God who claims to hate sin yet in His all powerful ability to preplan every jot and tittle that will ever take place, He chooses for man to sin and preplans every sin that will ever take place. That's not the kind of God I read about in the bible.

Z Man

Originally posted by Poly

Well, really, the best thing for them, in light of a closed view perspective, would be for God to have made them to not sin at all.
Sure God. Whatever you say....

:rolleyes:

Point is, your not God, so the fact that He has allowed sin to exist to teach us lessons, and that He did ordain Ninevah to sin, then repent, so that they would learn, was the best idea. If there was a better way, I'm sure God would of have done it that way. He is all wise...
The only way? I thought the only way was for God to force them. You know, that whole iresistible grace thing. Why not just force them to love Him in the first place?
Irresistable grace teaches that God changes our will; He doesn't force anyone against their will to do something they don't want to do. That wouldn't even make sense for a definition, claiming that people are forced against thier wills, since it is called irresistable grace....
A God who claims to hate sin yet in His all powerful ability to preplan every jot and tittle that will ever take place, He chooses for man to sin and preplans every sin that will ever take place. That's not the kind of God I read about in the bible.
It's biblical; you just don't want to see it. God uses evil to display His glory. How can one know of love unless they've experienced hate? How do you know what is "light" if you've never seen dark? How do we experience and enjoy the glory of God unless we realize that we are a fallen, sinful, miserable race?

God broke the heart of Job in so many ways and made his life miserable to teach him one thing: that He is a Gloryful, Almighty, Sovereign God.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Z Man

Irresistable grace teaches that God changes our will; He doesn't force anyone against their will to do something they don't want to do. That wouldn't even make sense for a definition, claiming that people are forced against thier wills, since it is called irresistable grace....
Do you even hear yourself? If God "changes our will" then to change it He would have to make it different than what it originally was. Forcing doesn't have to mean that the person who's will is being changed is kicking and screeming, not wanting it changed. If God changes a person's will to want to serve Him, He is still forcing it because it is He who made the will to love instead of reject.

Z Man

Originally posted by Poly

Do you even hear yourself? If God "changes our will" then to change it He would have to make it different than what it originally was. Forcing doesn't have to mean that the person who's will is being changed is kicking and screeming, not wanting it changed. If God changes a person's will to want to serve Him, He is still forcing it because it is He who made the will to love instead of reject.
Thus, all glory is given to Him for our salvation. He has truely saved us from our sins in that scenario. Any other way would mean that we save our selves.

Romans 8:5-9
For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God. But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

1 Corithians 2:11-14
For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God. These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

2 Timothy 2:24-26
And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

Acts 16:14
Now a certain woman named Lydia heard us. She was a seller of purple from the city of Thyatira, who worshiped God. The Lord opened her heart to heed the things spoken by Paul.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No it's not. The warning would not have been issued if the child was behaving...
If one is warning a child because they don't know the rules clearly, then you make the rules clear first, and then you warn. If the child knows what they are doing is wrong, then you don't warn, you discipline.

This was the mode that God was in. He was in the post-wrongdoing mode. So he started his message with the discipline (and in fact, the discipline was the only message recorded by God).

What would be good to know is that if a child does something wrong and they know it is wrong, then if you warn them without discipline, you are only encouraging the bad behavior. There is no reason not to grant a second, third, forth warning ad infinitum.

So, the question you might be asking is if God gave no warning, as I'm saying, but only dealing punishment, then why weren't they punished. It's because God can look at hearts. And in His estimation, the king and the people were truly sorry for what they had done wrong. It would be like finding the child had done something wrong, then told them they were grounded (fully expecting to ground the child), but when you were sure they were sorry for what they had done, and that they had repented (turned away from that wrong behavior), then you change your mind and tell them they aren't grounded.

Z Man

Originally posted by Yorzhik

If the child knows what they are doing is wrong, then you don't warn, you discipline.
Sure, if you do not desire to show mercy, or give them a second chance.

On the flipside, are you implying that people who do wrong do not know they are doing wrong, and thus the reason God "warns" people of their wrong doing before actually destroying them? :confused: In our case as humans, we sin everyday, and we know we are doing wrong. According to you, God must not warn us, but instead, destroy us on the spot. Which, I agree. We shouldn't receive any mercy from God whatsoever, but He shows mercy anyways. Everytime a sinner takes a breath it is evidence that God is a merciful, patient, loving God, one who desires repentance of the hearts of men.
What would be good to know is that if a child does something wrong and they know it is wrong, then if you warn them without discipline, you are only encouraging the bad behavior. There is no reason not to grant a second, third, forth warning ad infinitum.
I'll have to disagree with you there. Giving warning is not an "encouragement" to continue in bad behavior; it's giving that person a second chance. In the case between God and men, God is simply allowing His mercies to grant us repentance. Giving a "warning" awakens people to their evil deeds, as in the case with Ninevah. Because God sent Jonah to warn them, they repented. They weren't encouraged to continue in their wicked ways...
It would be like finding the child had done something wrong, then told them they were grounded (fully expecting to ground the child), but when you were sure they were sorry for what they had done, and that they had repented (turned away from that wrong behavior), then you change your mind and tell them they aren't grounded.
That's lying, and if anything, would definitly encourage the child to do wrong again. Telling them thier grounded, then turning right around and changing your mind tells the child that they can get away with anything...

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If the child knows what they are doing is wrong, then you don't warn, you discipline.
Sure, if you do not desire to show mercy, or give them a second chance.
I was talking about raising a child correctly (in the same vein as God). No, even if you desire to show mercy, you cannot show mercy without (at least) repentance. You carry out discipline until there is a valid option not to, regardless of your feelings.

But I think we have a misunderstanding because you think what Nineveh got was a warning that amounted to a threat. They did not, no more than a child that is getting a spanking is told to go to their room that they are being warned of an upcoming spanking. I guess that's why we discuss these things because now I see for me to be clear on this issue I need to differentiate the difference between a warning that is a threat and a warning that is a promise. What Nineveh got was a warning that was a promise.

On the flipside, are you implying that people who do wrong do not know they are doing wrong, and thus the reason God "warns" people of their wrong doing before actually destroying them? :confused:
Why confused? This isn't that complicated, but what you say here doesn't follow from what I said. Could you clarify?

In our case as humans, we sin everyday, and we know we are doing wrong. According to you, God must not warn us, but instead, destroy us on the spot.
Maybe according to someone else, but not me. What I would say is that God has the option of killing us on the spot, not that God must kill us on the spot. As you mention later, thank God He doesn't follow that option.

One cannot give a child that is misbehaving warnings that are threats in the post-infraction phase of training. That only encourages the child to misbehave more. Only warnings that are promises work to train a child.

And, btw, most children that are brought up correctly do not consider the time when they are told they are getting a spanking to the time they actually get it, a warning because it is a promise, not a threat. Likewise when a sentence that is handed down from the judge after a conviction takes time to be carried out, it is not considered a warning, because it is not considered a threat, but a "done deal" (a promise). Why do you consider God's promise to destroy Nineveh a threat?

Which, I agree. We shouldn't receive any mercy from God whatsoever, but He shows mercy anyways. Everytime a sinner takes a breath it is evidence that God is a merciful, patient, loving God, one who desires repentance of the hearts of men.
Like you say, we agree. So, let me ask. Does God ever desire something, but not get it?

I'll have to disagree with you there. Giving warning is not an "encouragement" to continue in bad behavior; it's giving that person a second chance. In the case between God and men, God is simply allowing His mercies to grant us repentance. Giving a "warning" awakens people to their evil deeds, as in the case with Ninevah. Because God sent Jonah to warn them, they repented. They weren't encouraged to continue in their wicked ways...
Well, it was because the king realized that God was not threatening, but promising destruction. This is the same as with a child, if you are consistent in carrying out your promise to discipline regardless of their response to being told to go to their room for a spanking, then you also have the option to change your promise and grant mercy on that time when you feel the repentance is a genuine change in their life before the spanking is actually administered.

If done your way, then the child will quickly become an expert actor/actress, and their behavior will get worse.

And, by the way, do you understand that if you give a second chance, there is no good reason not to give a third, forth, ad infinitum number of chances?

It would be like finding the child had done something wrong, then told them they were grounded (fully expecting to ground the child), but when you were sure they were sorry for what they had done, and that they had repented (turned away from that wrong behavior), then you change your mind and tell them they aren't grounded.
That's lying, and if anything, would definitly encourage the child to do wrong again. Telling them thier grounded, then turning right around and changing your mind tells the child that they can get away with anything…
When you responded with, "then turning right around and changing your mind" I think you missed the part where I said, " but when you were sure they were sorry for what they had done, and that they had repented (turned away from that wrong behavior)". That is a far cry from "turning right around".

But this is amazing, I describe the exact thing that God did, and you call God a liar.

BChristianK

Lee Merrill said:
Conditionality does not imply change in God's nature, though.
Molinists, neo-molinists and open viewer's have never implied that God's nature changed.

Is that what all the raucous is about?

Grace and Peace

Z Man

Originally posted by Yorzhik

I guess that's why we discuss these things because now I see for me to be clear on this issue I need to differentiate the difference between a warning that is a threat and a warning that is a promise. What Nineveh got was a warning that was a promise.
If that was the case, the question arises again:

Why did God send Jonah?

If His warning towards the Ninevites was a promise, why did He put Jonah through all that trouble to get the message to the Ninevites? If God's intention was to destroy them, why even bother warning them?
Why confused? This isn't that complicated, but what you say here doesn't follow from what I said. Could you clarify?
:confused:

Ummm.. I don't know if I can. I'm kinda lost on that whole ordeal... I guess we can drop it...
Why do you consider God's promise to destroy Nineveh a threat?
Because they were never destroyed.
Does God ever desire something, but not get it?
Depends on what that "something" is. Man always fails in "pleasing" the Lord. The Lord desires for us to repent and be holy, but no man ever meets His expectations. But as far as the display of His own glory, God always gets that, no matter what. He'll do anything to display His glory. God is in the business of self-exaltation. He's way more concerned with Himself than He is about our comfort and happiness. In fact, in the act of displaying His glory, we are given what pleases us the most. Just ask Job...
This is the same as with a child, if you are consistent in carrying out your promise to discipline regardless of their response to being told to go to their room for a spanking, then you also have the option to change your promise and grant mercy on that time when you feel the repentance is a genuine change in their life before the spanking is actually administered.

If done your way, then the child will quickly become an expert actor/actress, and their behavior will get worse.
I don't think you understand what I am saying. If a promise is made to a mis-behaving child that they can expect a spanking when they get home, then of course they will become repentant! I don't know of one child that enjoys spankings! Speaking from experience, when my mom told my dad that I had been "bad" for the day, and my dad said for me to go to my room, I went there with my tail between my legs. I was really sorry for what I had done, and I told my dad and mom too! I didn't want no spanking. But I got it anyways. It was promised, and I got it! That taught me to never misbehave again!

Now, if my dad tells me to expect a spanking when he gets home, and then everytime he sees my "sad eyes" he backs out of punishing me, eventually I'm going to learn to just look sad everytime he promises to spank me. It's not teaching me anything. The actual carrying out of the punishment is what teaches us lessons.

If God makes promises to do one thing, yet "changes" His mind about it later, then He is a liar. On the flipside, if God gives a warning, and it changes the hearts of those whom He has warned, then His purpose is carried out! God never "intended" to destroy Ninevah, or else He would've never sent Jonah.

1Way

(BTW, I've answered this numerous times despite several closed viewer's saying that no one has) Sending Jonah 40 days in advance of the national disaster showed no contingency in the message of destruction, it shows contingency in God, the very place the Closed Viewers cannot allow it to be.

So no, the question does not remain, the answer is the same.

God said concerning His prophesy of national destruction, that He did not do what He said He would do, and He did not do it, also this national disaster is correlated to being lethal, it was from God's intent to act from His anger instead of lovingkingness, and His intent of doing harm upon them. That is God's word on this issue, but the closed viewers violate it in a number of ways, but in the end, they always void it of meaning, and replace it with nothing because of their manmade traditions. As this thread (and others) has aptly demonstrated.

You have to interject the dubious and biblically untenable assumption that God knows the entire future exhaustively in order to have any problems with the truth from God's word on this or any other divine repentance issue.

It is almost funny, you ask a closed viewer to deal with portions of scripture that denies their view, and the conversation gets either very extra biblical or they go off topic. But, as always, God's is true, God does not always do what He said and thought He was going to do. God changes in significant ways.

But if you do not believe God's word on such a matter as the inner workings of God's mind like how it is that He sometimes repents and does not do what He said and thought He was going to do, you sure aren't going to believe a mere human's testimony of righteous faith in God's word over this matter.