ECT An Error in the King James Version of the Bible

Jerry Shugart

According to the KJV the first day of the feast of unleavened bread preceded the passover:

"Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?" (Mt.26:17; KJV).​

That cannot be right because the passover was on the 14th and the feast of unleavened bread was on the 15th:

"These are the feasts of the LORD, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons. In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD'S passover. And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread"
(Lev.23:4-6).​

In the KJV at Matthew 26:17 the translators incorrectly added the word "feast."

The Passover was a memorial to the night when the LORD passed over the blood stained houses in Egypt (Ex.12:13-14).

The feast of unleavened bread was a memorial of the time when the Israelites were brought out of the land of Egypt (Ex.12:17).

The Passover was celebrated on the 14th:

"And in the fourteenth day of the first month is the passover of the LORD"
(Num.28:16).

The feast of unleavened bread began on the next day, the 15th:

"And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread" (Lev.23:6).​

So if words have any meaning then it is obvious that the first day of the feast of unleavened bread did not precede the passover so it is clear that the folllowing translation from the KJV is in error:

"Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?"
(Mt.26:17; KJV).​

Jason0047

Here is a quote from the article I told you about:

"Leviticus 23:6 indicates the fifteenth is the feast of unleavened bread. Notice that it DOES NOT SAY it is the FIRST day of unleavened bread. It only says “the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread.”

Here is where Deuteronomy 16 helps us understand. Deut. 16:4 designates Passover as the “first day.” Deut.16:8 picks up after the discussion of the Passover itself in the preceding verses: “Six days thou shalt eat unleavened bread: and on the seventh day shall be a solemn assembly to the Lord thy God…”

It states that SIX days shall you eat unleavened bread. That is, Passover is the first day and then you keep six more for a total of seven. It further stipulates keeping the seventh day as a solemn assembly. We have already seen in Exodus and Leviticus that Passover is a holy convocation, Feast and also the first day of unleavened bread as confirmed here in Deut. 16:4. So, Deuteronomy 16 is saying the first day is the day you killed the Passover, keep six more and the last of those six, or the seventh of the TOTALITY, is also a solemn assembly or holy convocation.

1 plus 6 equals 7. The first and last are holy convocations. Question: Why would Lev. 23:4-5 designate Passover as a Feast and then add the other six for a total of seven?"​

Here is an illustration I created to help you to see:
Screenshot_2017_07_29_17_39_04_474x557.jpg

The author in that article also said:

"To fully understand the whole New Testament account, we must understand that Jesus and the disciples kept THE Passover on the 14th and the Jews kept their Passover a day later, the 15th."​

In other words, the Jews kept the Passover on the wrong day while Jesus and His disciples kept it on the correct day.

Source used:
http://www.ironsharpeningiron.com/passoverisafeasthenson.htm

Jerry Shugart

Here is where Deuteronomy 16 helps us understand. Deut. 16:4 designates Passover as the “first day.” Deut.16:8 picks up after the discussion of the Passover itself in the preceding verses: “Six days thou shalt eat unleavened bread: and on the seventh day shall be a solemn assembly to the Lord thy God…”

Deutermony 16:2 uses the word "passover" in regard to the flock and the herd." The passover seder of the 14th was only in regard to the passover lamb. What is being described in verse 2 is the feast of unleavened bread. The Jews often referred to that seven day feast as the passover:

"Now the feast of unleavened bread drew nigh, which is called the passover" (Lk.22:1).​

1 plus 6 equals 7.

You are missing one day when unleavened bread was eaten with the meals:

"In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at even, ye shall eat unleavened bread, until the one and twentieth day of the month at even" (Ex.12:18).​

14th--1
15th--2
16th--3
17th--4
18th--5
19th--6
20th--7
21st--8

That completely destroys your theory.

Jason0047

Deutermony 16:2 uses the word "passover" in regard to the flock and the herd." The passover seder of the 14th was only in regard to the passover lamb. What is being described in verse 2 is the feast of unleavened bread. The Jews often referred to that seven day feast as the passover:

"Now the feast of unleavened bread drew nigh, which is called the passover" (Lk.22:1).​

You are missing one day when unleavened bread was eaten with the meals:

"In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at even, ye shall eat unleavened bread, until the one and twentieth day of the month at even" (Ex.12:18).​

14th--1
15th--2
16th--3
17th--4
18th--5
19th--6
20th--7
21st--8

That completely destroys your theory.

No. You are not reading it right.

Exodus 12:18 says, "ye shall eat unleavened bread, until the one and twentieth day of the month at even" (Ex.12:18).

In other words, they ate unleavened bread UNTIL the 21st. Meaning, they stopped eating unleavened bread at the 21st.

For example:
This would be like Rick saying to Bob, "I want you to jump on one leg until the clock reaches 4:00PM." Bob would understand this to mean that he is to stop jumping on one leg when the time reaches 4:00PM.

Also, a Jewish calendar day began with the EVENING.
If you were to go back and look at my illustration in post #2, this will become clear.

So the 21st at evening is the beginning of a Jewish calendar day. They were to eat unleavened bread up until that point in time.

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

No. You are not reading it right.

Exodus 12:18 says, "ye shall eat unleavened bread, until the one and twentieth day of the month at even" (Ex.12:18).

In other words, they ate unleavened bread UNTIL the 21st. Meaning, they stopped eating unleavened bread at the 21st.

That is wrong:

"In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD'S passover. And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread" (Lev.23:5).

They ate unleavened bread on the 14th (Ex. 12:18). Then beginning on the 15th and for the next seven days they ate unleavened bread.

You are attempting to make the following two feasts the same one despite the fact that they were celebrated on consecutive days:

"And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt. And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the LORD throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever" (Lev.12:13-14).​

That event happened IN Egypt. The following event happened when the children of Israel were brought out of Egypt:

"And ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread; for in this selfsame day have I brought your armies out of the land of Egypt: therefore shall ye observe this day in your generations by an ordinance for ever" (Ex.12:17).​

The feast in memory of the passover happened one day before the feast of unleavened bread but you have the passover feast happening on the same day as the feast of unleavened bread.

Jason0047

That is wrong:

"In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD'S passover. And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread" (Lev.23:5).

They ate unleavened bread on the 14th (Ex. 12:18). Then beginning on the 15th and for the next seven days they ate unleavened bread.

You are attempting to make the following two feasts the same one despite the fact that they were celebrated on consecutive days:

"And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt. And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the LORD throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever" (Lev.12:13-14).​

That event happened IN Egypt. The following event happened when the children of Israel were brought out of Egypt:

"And ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread; for in this selfsame day have I brought your armies out of the land of Egypt: therefore shall ye observe this day in your generations by an ordinance for ever" (Ex.12:17).​

The feast in memory of the passover happened one day before the feast of unleavened bread but you have the passover feast happening on the same day as the feast of unleavened bread.

You are refuting yourself here. If they ate unleavened bread on the Passover as you say, then that means that the first day of unleavened bread would be the Passover (technically speaking). The 15th was just A feast of unleavened bread. This was noted as being different from the Passover. But in the Passover, they still ate unleavened bread which means... the Passover is the 1st day of unleavened bread.

Jerry Shugart

But in the Passover, they still ate unleavened bread which means... the Passover is the 1st day of unleavened bread.

Jason0047

You are attempting to throw new stuff at me as a way to prove your point. You need to deal with what you said first. You said that Exodus they ate unleavened bread on the Passover. This is proof that it is the FIRST day of unleavened bread (just as the Scriptures say).

Jerry Shugart

The 15th was just A feast of unleavened bread.

No, the 15th was the day after the passover of the 14th and here is what is said about the 15th:

"And ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread; for in this selfsame day have I brought your armies out of the land of Egypt: therefore shall ye observe this day in your generations by an ordinance for ever"
(Ex.12:17).​

You say that the feast of unleavened bread began on the 14th, the day of the passover:

"And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt. And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the LORD throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever"
(Lev.12:13-14).​

The 14th was a feast which memorialized the passover IN EGYPT.

The next day, the 15th, was the feast of unleavened bread which was to memorialize the Israelites EXIT OUT OF Egypt.

You have the feast of unleavened bread beginning on the 14th, which was in memory of the passover IN EGYPT but the Scriptures plainly say that the feast of unleavened bread was to memorialize the Israel's EXIT OUT OF EGYPT.

Jason0047

I am not interested in showing you something that you cannot see. It's not worth my time to keep showing you stuff in order for you to ignore it and or not get it. I can lead a horse to water, but I cannot force it to drink.

Anyways, may God bless you (even if we may disagree).

Jerry Shugart

I am not interested in showing you something that you cannot see. It's not worth my time to keep showing you stuff in order for you to ignore it and or not get it. I can lead a horse to water, but I cannot force it to drink.

It is you who refuses to believe that according to Exodus 12:13-17 the passover feast was a day before the feast of unleavened bread. That is why you refuse to even address those verses.

The KJV translation here is in error because it has the first day of the feast of unleavened bread happening before the passover:

"Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?"
(Mt.26:17).

All you prove is an inability to understand that the passover was a feast in memory of the events which happened IN EGYPT while the feast of unleavened bread was in memory of the Israelites LEAVING EGYPT.

According to you the passover was in memory of the first day of the feast of unleavened bread which was to celebrate to Israelites EXIT OUT Of EGYPT.​

Jason0047

It is you who refuses to believe that according to Exodus 12:13-17 the passover feast was a day before the feast of unleavened bread. That is why you refuse to even address those verses.

The KJV translation here is in error because it has the first day of the feast of unleavened bread happening before the passover:

(Mt.26:17).

All you prove is an inability to understand that the passover was a feast in memory of the events which happened IN EGYPT while the feast of unleavened bread was in memory of the Israelites LEAVING EGYPT.

According to you the passover was in memory of the first day of the feast of unleavened bread which was to celebrate to Israelites EXIT OUT Of EGYPT.​

I am refusing to address the verses because you are refusing to address the problem that you presented to begin with.

You showed Scripture and admitted that the Israelites ate unleavened bread on the Passover.

So if this is true, this technically would be the FIRST day of unleavened bread.

Here is the verse just in case you forgot about it.

"In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at even, ye shall eat unleavened bread, until the one and twentieth day of the month at even." (Exodus 12:18).

The fourteenth day of the month at evening is the Passover. God says to the Israelite to eat unleavened bread on this day (the Passover).

This would technically be the 1st day of unleavened bread because they ate unleavened bread on the Passover day (i.e. the 14th).

Is Exodus 12:18 just another error in the King James?​

Jerry Shugart

I am refusing to address the verses because you are refusing to address the problem that you presented to begin with.

You showed Scripture and admitted that the Israelites ate unleavened bread on the Passover.

So if this is true, this technically would be the FIRST day of unleavened bread.

The first day of unleavened bread was the first day of the feast period when unleavened bread was eaten with the meals. That happened on the 14th, which was a memorial to the day when the Lord passed over the blood stained houses in Egypt:

"And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt. And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the LORD throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever"

The first day of unleavrened bread was also the same day when they killed the passover lambs:

"And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?" (Mk.14:12).​

That was a memorial to the the day when the blood of the lambs was put on the homes of the Israelites while they were still IN EGYPT.

On the other hand, the feast of unleavened bread was in memorial to the day when the Israelites LEFT EGYPT:

Anyone with the slightest bit of spiritual discernment can understand that the feast of unleavened bread was observed AFTER the feast of the passover.

But the KJV translation of the following vverse has the first day of the feast happening BEFORE the passover:

"Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?" (Mt.26:17; KJV).​

Jason0047

The first day of unleavened bread was the first day of the feast period when unleavened bread was eaten with the meals. That happened on the 14th, which was a memorial to the day when the Lord passed over the blood stained houses in Egypt:

The first day of unleavrened bread was also the same day when they killed the passover lambs:

"And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?" (Mk.14:12).​

That was a memorial to the the day when the blood of the lambs was put on the homes of the Israelites while they were still IN EGYPT.

On the other hand, the feast of unleavened bread was in memorial to the day when the Israelites LEFT EGYPT:

Anyone with the slightest bit of spiritual discernment can understand that the feast of unleavened bread was observed AFTER the feast of the passover.

But the KJV translation of the following vverse has the first day of the feast happening BEFORE the passover:

First, you are not believing the Bible. Just read it and believe it. We should never try to correct God’s Word but you should let it correct you.

Second, Matthew 26:17 appears the same way in many other translations.

Three, your falsely assuming with no evidence in the text that another day transpired between the 1st day of unleavened bread and the preparing of the Passover in Matthew 26:17. The fact that they were preparing the Passover meant that it was already the Passover time. For why would you do Passover stuff if it was not the Passover?

Jerry Shugart

Three, your falsely assuming with no evidence in the text that another day transpired between the 1st day of unleavened bread and the preparing of the Passover in Matthew 26:17. The fact that they were preparing the Passover meant that it was already the Passover time. For why would you do Passover stuff if it was not the Passover?

The facts demonstrate that the children of Israel didn't even begin their journey to exit Egypt until the day after the passover:

"And they departed from Rameses in the first month, on the fifteenth day of the first month; on the morrow after the passover the children of Israel went out with an high hand in the sight of all the Egyptians" (Num.33:3).​

Their exit out of Egypt was on the 15th and that feast of unleavened bread was to celebrate their EXIT OUT OF EGYPT:

"And ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread; for in this selfsame day have I brought your armies out of the land of Egypt: therefore shall ye observe this day in your generations by an ordinance for ever"

They were to observe the feast of unleavened bread on the "selfsame day" when they exited the land of Egypt.

The day they began their trip out of Egypt was the 15th and the day when they exited Egypt was on the 15th.

But you say that the feast of unleavened bread began on the 14th.

Jason0047

The facts demonstrate that the children of Israel didn't even begin their journey to exit Egypt until the day after the passover:

"And they departed from Rameses in the first month, on the fifteenth day of the first month; on the morrow after the passover the children of Israel went out with an high hand in the sight of all the Egyptians" (Num.33:3).​

Their exit out of Egypt was on the 15th and that feast of unleavened bread was to celebrate their EXIT OUT OF EGYPT:

They were to observe the feast of unleavened bread on the "selfsame day" when they exited the land of Egypt.

The day they began their trip out of Egypt was the 15th and the day when they exited Egypt was on the 15th.

But you say that the feast of unleavened bread began on the 14th.

Right, because there is a difference between:

(a) The FIRST day of unleavened bread ON THE PASSOVER of the 14th (vs.):
(b) The feast (a generic mention of a feast day and NOT the FIRST day) of the feast of unleavened bread on the 15th.​

Nowhere does the Bible say that the 15th is the FIRST day of unleavened bread. It merely says it is "the feast day."

Try as you may, you will not fine anywhere in the Bible with the words "First day" attached with the 15th. It just does not exist.

Besides, we learn from Scripture that they ate unleavened bread on the Passover. So technically speaking this was the FIRST day of unleavened bread.

So there is no contradiction!

It's like saying a platypus is a duck because it has a beak or calling a platypus as a beaver because it has a beaver like body.

Jerry Shugart

Nowhere does the Bible say that the 15th is the FIRST day of unleavened bread. It merely says it is "feast day."

It says that the feast of unleavened bread was to be observed on the day when the Israelites left Egypt:

"And ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread; for in this selfsame day have I brought your armies out of the land of Egypt: therefore shall ye observe this day in your generations by an ordinance for ever" (Ex.12:17).

They observed the feast of unleavened bread "in the selfsame day" that they exited Egypt. They did not even begin their trip to exot Egypt until the 15th:

The Passover was on the 14th and they left Egypt on the 15th and they observed the feast of unleavened bread "in the selfsame day" they left Egypt which was on the 15th.

So they left Egypt of the 15th and observed the feast of unleavened bread on the 15th. Therefore, the feast of unleavened bread was observed the day AFTER the passover but the KJV translation here incoorectly has the feast of unleavened bread happening BEFORE the passover:

Can you not even understand that the 15th day of the month follows the 14th day and does not precede the 14th day?

DAN P

According to the KJV the first day of the feast of unleavened bread preceded the passover:

That cannot be right because the passover was on the 14th and the feast of unleavened bread was on the 15th:

"These are the feasts of the LORD, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons. In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD'S passover. And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread"

/QUOTE]

Hi Jerry and I would would say what you say ,,that word FEAST was ADDED , not so !!

Words in ITALIC are what scholars call and ABSOLUTE or a ELLIPSIS where the OMITTED word or words are supplied from the nature of the subject and the only one I know that references that problem is E Bullinger in his book FIGURES OF SPEECH !!

dan p

Jerry Shugart

/QUOTE]

Hi Jerry and I would would say what you say ,,that word FEAST was ADDED , not so !!

Dan, you are wrong. If you go to the Greek text the Greek word translated "feast" is not there.

Jason0047

It says that the feast of unleavened bread was to be observed on the day when the Israelites left Egypt:

"And ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread; for in this selfsame day have I brought your armies out of the land of Egypt: therefore shall ye observe this day in your generations by an ordinance for ever" (Ex.12:17).

They observed the feast of unleavened bread "in the selfsame day" that they exited Egypt. They did not even begin their trip to exot Egypt until the 15th:

The Passover was on the 14th and they left Egypt on the 15th and they observed the feast of unleavened bread "in the selfsame day" they left Egypt which was on the 15th.

So they left Egypt of the 15th and observed the feast of unleavened bread on the 15th. Therefore, the feast of unleavened bread was observed the day AFTER the passover but the KJV translation here incoorectly has the feast of unleavened bread happening BEFORE the passover:

Can you not even understand that the 15th day of the month follows the 14th day and does not precede the 14th day?

Your not grasping what I have said. But that's okay.

May God bless you.