Americans have to put Constitution above their religion? (Carson)

republicanchick

At first, I didn't like the way that sounded, when B Carson said all that..

But then I got to thinking about how... If the Constitution of the US goes against your religion, you have a seriously defective religion.. and furthermore are not worthy of office

One reason I love this country is b/c the Constitution conforms to my religion

The Church was the first to proclaim that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with inalienable rights..

___

Buzzword

American civilians don't.

American government (of which Dr. Carson supposedly wants to be part) and American law enforcement and American military, on the other hand, have sworn to do so.

republicanchick

that said

We must obey God rather than man (St Paul)

so

when the Supreme Maroons make an unconstitutional decision..

well... you alreayd know the rest of that

___

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Ben Carson does not consider or even know much about American law and relgion.

Apparently he believes his own opinion is above what is set down in black and white in our U.S. Constitution. Ted Cruz, a constitutional scholar from Harvard (or Yale?) had to school him in American history and government.

It was just better for all concerned that Cruz did the educating instead of the president. It would be beneath Obama to publicly shame a GOP candidate. Not his style.

Christian Liberty

At first, I didn't like the way that sounded, when B Carson said all that..

But then I got to thinking about how... If the Constitution of the US goes against your religion, you have a seriously defective religion.. and furthermore are not worthy of office

One reason I love this country is b/c the Constitution conforms to my religion

The Church was the first to proclaim that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with inalienable rights..

___

The CONstitution is a violation of my religion. Psalm 2.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote: Originally posted by Christian Liberty

I don't get what Psalm 2 has to do with the Constitution. "...the rulers take counsel against the Lord"? It's flimsy.

The Jr. Libertarian, even though he says that he attends the most conservative college in the country, doesn't understand that the Constitution of the United States was written by men who stated that the rights that are given to American citizens in the founding documents, come from God.

Caledvwlch

The Jr. Libertarian, even though he says that he attends the most conservative college in the country, doesn't understand that the Constitution of the United States was written by men who stated that the rights that are given to American citizens in the founding documents, come from God.

Really? Then why doesn't it say so in the Constitution?

PureX

Most human beings are capable of wearing more than one ideological 'hat' at a time. We can be both a boss and an employee, for example. Or we can be both a competitor and a friend. In fact, most of us manage to occupy a number of ideological positions in life at the same time.

It's only those who have allowed themselves to become so idealistically myopic, and extreme, that they can no longer comprehend how one may exemplify more than one ideology at the same time. In fact, such extremism is, to my mind, a form of intellectual, emotional, and spiritual retardation; inflicted on them as children, and then deliberately self-inflicted as adults. I think it happens to people when they become so afraid of being wrong, or of having to negotiate with the natural paradox of life, that they simply jettison every ideology but the most dogmatic, absolutist, and authoritarian, ideology they can find, just to maintain the illusion of their own unquestionable righteousness.

Last edited:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior

Really? Then why doesn't it say so in the Constitution?

Because you have to read and understand the other documents that lead up to it (the Constitution) plus you have to understand the original intent of the the men who wrote it.

Caledvwlch

Quote:

Because you have to read and understand the other documents that lead up to it (the Constitution) plus you have to understand the original intent of the the men who wrote it.

And I take it you deal in interpretations of "original intent" about the same way as you deal in interpretations of scripture. Whatever you need them to be to support your presuppositions.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
And I take it you deal in interpretations of "original intent" about the same way as you deal in interpretations of scripture. Whatever you need them to be to support your presuppositions.

I don't debate the meaning behind Holy Scripture with someone who doesn't even acknowledge God's existence, so you can drop that analogy.

If you would like a one on one debate with me or even start a new thread where I'll show the background of those who signed the various founding documents and all of the references they made to God and specifically where our rights come from...

image.jpg

I'm your huckleberry, say when.

Caledvwlch

I don't debate the meaning behind Holy Scripture with someone who doesn't even acknowledge God's existence, so you can drop that analogy.

If you would like a one on one debate with me or even start a new thread where I'll show the background of those who signed the various founding documents and all of the references they made to God and specifically where our rights come from...

image.jpg

And I could put together a list of many of the same individuals arguing for strict church/state separation, and in the end, we'd end up right bk where we are now.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:

And I could put together a list of many of the same individuals arguing for strict church/state separation, and in the end, we'd end up right bk where we are now.

Believe me when I say that I've read most if not all of the taken out of context quotes that the ACLU, Americans United for the Separation of Church and State, Military Religious Freedom Foundation and other leftwing organizations that are fighting hard so that God will be taken out of our culture and laws.

I guess the only way to bring out the truth is for both sides (in this case you and me) to bring forth information from the writings (personal letters and documents) of our Founding Fathers in order to see what their "original intent" was.

Did I miss the word "when" (as in "say when the debate starts") in your response Cal?

Caledvwlch

Quote:

Believe me when I say that I've read most if not all of the taken out of context quotes that the ACLU, Americans United for the Separation of Church and State, Military Religious Freedom Foundation and other leftwing organizations that are fighting hard so that God will be taken out of our culture and laws.

I guess the only way to bring out the truth is for both sides (in this case you and me) to bring forth information from the writings (personal letters and documents) of our Founding Fathers in order to see what their "original intent" was.

Did I miss the word "when" (as in "say when the debate starts") in your response Cal?

No thanks. If this "intent" that you're talking about is so important to understand the Constitution, then it should have been stated plainly in the ratified text of the Constitution.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
No thanks. If this "intent" that you're talking about is so important to understand the Constitution, then it should have been stated plainly in the ratified text of the Constitution.

Keep in mind that the Founding Fathers were writing documents for a nation that couldn't even fathom the moral depravity that exists in today's United States.

On that note:

Would you agree that if there is a question as to what the meaning behind an author's novel is that it would be wise to read other writings of said author and even personal interviews?