Ambiguity: Peter and Paul

Theo102

ambiguity?...what where?...
"For my name's sake" depends on who you are talking about.

Peter:

Acts 2
20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:
21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:
23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:

And it shall come to pass, [that] whosoever shall call on the name of YHWH shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as YHWH hath said, and in the remnant whom YHWH shall call.
Joel 2:32

I have set YHWH always before me: because [he is] at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
Psalms 16:8

And Paul:

Romans 14
9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

Philippians 2
10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

Isaiah 45
21 Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I YHWH? and there is no Elohim else beside me; a just El and a Saviour; there is none beside me.
22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am El, and there is none else.
23 I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

TrevorL

Greetings Theo102,
"For my name's sake" depends on who you are talking about.
Peter: Acts 2:20-25, Joel 2:32, Psalms 16:8
And Paul: Romans 14:9-11, Philippians 2:10, Isaiah 45:21-23.
I would be interested in how you reconcile this. My explanation is that the Name of God the Father is Yahweh, and the development of this Name is in and through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Kind regards
Trevor

Theo102

I would be interested in how you reconcile this. My explanation is that the Name of God the Father is Yahweh, and the development of this Name is in and through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Reconciliation involves looking at the prophetic context from Zechariah 13:

Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, and against the man [that is] my fellow, saith YHWH of hosts: smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered: and I will turn mine hand upon the little ones.
8: And it shall come to pass, [that] in all the land, saith YHWH, two parts therein shall be cut off [and] die; but the third shall be left therein.
9: And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It [is] my people: and they shall say, YHWH אלהי.

The Trinitarian position of one substance goes back to the apostolics, who obviously are not going to question Peter or Paul regardless of the inconsistencies which arise due to them treating YHWH and the Messiah as one and the same in some contexts.

The idea that a name could develop relies on on a more expansive interpretation of the Hebrew word שם. From Strongs:
there, therein, thither, whither, in it, thence, thereout; 10
  • name 832, renown 7, fame 4, famous 3, named 3, named + 07121 2, famous + 07121 1, infamous + 02931 1, report 1, misc 10; 864
  • Shem 17; 17
  • name 11, named + 07761 1; 12
Tell ye, and bring [them] near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? [who] hath told it from that time? [have] not I YHWH? and [there is] no Elohim else beside me; a just El and a Saviour; [there is] none beside me.
Isaiah 45:32

TrevorL

Greetings again Theo102,
Reconciliation involves looking at the prophetic context from Zechariah 13:
I cannot understand or accept your explanation. The Name of Jesus Christ is a development of the Yahweh Name. Yahweh is God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
Joel 2:32 (KJV): And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD (Yahweh) shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.

Acts 2:16–21 (KJV): 16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; 17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: 18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy: 19 And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke: 20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come: 21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Acts 2:38 (KJV): Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 3:6 (KJV): Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Acts 3:16 (KJV): And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.

Acts 4:8–12 (KJV): 8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel, 9 If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole; 10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. 11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. 12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Kind regards
Trevor

Theo102

I cannot understand or accept your explanation. The Name of Jesus Christ is a development of the Yahweh Name. Yahweh is God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

You are describing the transition of the proper name of the deity of he Israelites (which in the KJV is rendered as "the LORD") into the full name of a person of Christianity, per Peter's declaration: "Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead...".

Persons don't have the status that people have, and can be fictions (for example legal persons).

For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:
Deuteronomy 10:17, KJV

To fully understand the transition you've got to know what was happening to the name during Pentecost. In the Masoretic Joel and David refer to YHWH, and in Acts Peter refers to Joel and David, but the Lord is Jesus of Nazareth, not YHWH. Peter was probably quoting from the Septuagint, which does not have the proper name of the deity of the Israelites.

Acts 2
21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:
23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:

I have set YHWH always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
Psalms 16:8

Acts 4 rests on the presumption that the writer was able to correctly identify any spirit that had a role in making a declaration.

Acts 4:8–12 (KJV): 8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel, 9 If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole; 10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. 11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. 12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

From the prophetic context we can see that this isn't a reasonable expectation:

And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered.
Mark 14:27

Zechariah 13
7: Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, and against the man [that is] my fellow, saith YHWH of hosts: smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered: and I will turn mine hand upon the little ones.
8: And it shall come to pass, [that] in all the land, saith YHWH, two parts therein shall be cut off [and] die; but the third shall be left therein.
9: And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It [is] my people: and they shall say, YHWH אלהי.

And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
Acts 2:3

TrevorL

[Greetings again Theo102,
You are describing the transition of the proper name of the deity of the Israelites (which in the KJV is rendered as "the LORD") into the full name of a person of Christianity, per Peter's declaration: "Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead...".
Yes, Jesus is the embodiment of the fulfilment of the Yahweh Name, “He will be” or “I will be what or who I will be” Tyndale’s translation, RV and RSV margins.
To fully understand the transition you've got to know what was happening to the name during Pentecost. In the Masoretic Joel and David refer to YHWH, and in Acts Peter refers to Joel and David, but the Lord is Jesus of Nazareth, not YHWH. Peter was probably quoting from the Septuagint, which does not have the proper name of the deity of the Israelites.
You seem to confused here. Acts 2 when quoting Psalm 110:1 shows the distinction between Yahweh and Lord. Yahweh applies to the one God, Yahweh, God the Father, while “my Lord” applies to Jesus.
Acts 2 21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
”The Lord” here is Yahweh, not Jesus.
I have set YHWH always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Psalms 16:8
Yes “the Lord” in Acts 2:25 is speaking about Yahweh, and Jesus foresaw Yahweh before his face in his sufferings and crucifixion and then he was exalted to sit at God’s right hand.

Kind regards
Trevor

Theo102

Yes, Jesus is the embodiment of the fulfilment of the Yahweh Name, “He will be” or “I will be what or who I will be” Tyndale’s translation, RV and RSV margins.
No, it's not a fulfilment, it's a misnomer. "I AM" from Exodus 3:14 is the name of Elohim. It was Elohim that called out to Moses (verse 4), not YHWH, so it would follow that it was the name of Elohim that Moses heard.

You seem to confused here. Acts 2 when quoting Psalm 110:1 shows the distinction between Yahweh and Lord. Yahweh applies to the one God, Yahweh, God the Father, while “my Lord” applies to Jesus.
I was referring to Acts 2 quoting Psalm 16:8, not Psalm 110:1. While the Masoretic does show a distinction between YHWH and David's Lord, the Greek of Acts 2:23 refers to both YHWH and to David's Lord as kurios.

In some contexts "My Lord" can refer to YHWH:

And it shall be at that day, saith YHWH, [that] thou shalt call me Ishi; and shalt call me no more Baali[בעלי].
Hosea 2:16

”The Lord” here is Yahweh, not Jesus.
We know that Joel refers to YHWH, but when Peter refers to calling on the name of the Lord and he says that the Lord is Jesus there's clearly room for error.

Yes “the Lord” in Acts 2:25 is speaking about Yahweh, and Jesus foresaw Yahweh before his face in his sufferings and crucifixion and then he was exalted to sit at God’s right hand.
There's no basis for that. The "him" of verse 25 refers to Jesus of Nazareth of verse 22.

Last edited:

TrevorL

Greetings again Theo102,
No, it's not a fulfilment, it's a misnomer. "I AM" from Exodus 3:14 is the name of Elohim. It was Elohim that called out to Moses (verse 4), not YHWH, so it would follow that it was the name of Elohim that Moses heard.
I accept that the correct rendition of Exodus 3:14 is “I will be” as per Tyndale, RV and RSV margins. The Angel of Exodus 3:2-6 speaks and acts on behalf of Yahweh, and the Angel is speaking about Yahweh in Exodus 3:14.
I was referring to Acts 2 quoting Psalm 16:8, not Psalm 110:1. While the Masoretic does show a distinction between YHWH and David's Lord, the Greek of Acts 2:23 refers to both YHWH and to David's Lord as kurios.
When quoting the OT “Yahweh” then we are not entitled to render this the same as the OT “Lord”, nor should we transpose an occurrence of “Lord” in the NT as Yahweh if the context does not prove that this is what is meant. We have the same problem in English with some words, and usually we can distinguish what word is meant. He hit a ball with the bat and hit a bat and the bat fell out of the tree. He ate his desert in the desert. A minute ago I saw this minute insect.
In some contexts "My Lord" can refer to YHWH:
Yes.

Kind regards
Trevor

Theo102

The Angel of Exodus 3:2-6 speaks and acts on behalf of Yahweh, and the Angel is speaking about Yahweh in Exodus 3:14.

No, it's Elohim speaking, just like it's Elohim speaking in Exodus 20:1, but this time with Moses instead of the angel.

So Moses went down unto the people, and spake unto them.
And Elohim spake all these words, saying,
Exodus 19:25-20:1

In Numbers 22 Elohim is involved, but it is the angel that speaks in verse 32:

32 And the angel of YHWH said unto him, Wherefore hast thou smitten thine ass these three times? behold, I went out to withstand thee, because [thy] way is perverse before me:

clefty

Are you asking why there are two different names?

EL or ELOHIM is not a name. It's a title - god. False gods are also ELOHIM, for instance.

ok...you’re having me jump in...I was waiting to better understand what the ambiguity of the OP was but now I gotta...

Yes...indeed Elohim is only a title...the mighty...great ones...judges...gods...

Yahushua said John 10: 34”Is it not written in your Law:‘I have said you are gods? 35If he called them gods to whom the word of God came—and the Scripture cannot be broken—…

from Psalm 82:6 I have said, "You are gods; you are all sons of the Most High.”

As Adam’s role on the creation team was to NAME...he of course had to JUDGE...we ARE to judge...and know our judgement will be judged...that is the “lest ye be judged” which secular society leaves out and ALWAYS ONLY crying out “don’t judge!”...Satan knows what he is doing...

Paul affirms we are to judge...the angels even...when? To confirm their record of our lives is accurate to make sure the Judgement is true...we will be busy in the millennial reign when we Sukkot in heaven as our permanent home is rested (desolate) and prepared for us here new earth...but that’s for yet another thread...

Now supposing Adam did NOT fall he indeed would be a judge ETERNAL as having access to the tree of Life...He of course was to know both good and evil but how else than the fall is unrecorded...Except the killing and cursing was a clue...another topic another thread

but now fallen and being barred humans are no longer eternal or great (long living) but retain their ability to judge and NAME...especially here on TOL...”HERETIC!” ...lol

Interesting too that the Tower of Babel was symptom of a people’s desire to make a great NAME for themselves...a prevalent desire still today...

So I am interested in where this thread its ambiguity is headed...

Names and naming remain important in our domain...note the message hidden in the first 10 names of the Bible:

https://youtu.be/HUs8f-lphec

Through the names named not even non believing Rabbis can hide the reason for the OT...the “telos” of the Law...

Also:

“And it shall be at that day, saith the LORD, that thou shalt call me Ishi(husband of love); and shalt call me no more Baali.(husband of lordship)“ Hosea 2:16

Note in the NT:

Acts 4:16 Saying, What shall we do to these men? for that indeed a notable miracle hath been done by them is manifest to all them that dwell in Jerusalem; and we cannot deny it.

17 But that it spread no further among the people, let us straitly threaten them, that they speak henceforth to no man in this name.

18 And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus.

19 But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye.

20 For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard

Acts 5: 28“We gave you strict orders not to teach in this name,” he said. “Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and are determined to make us responsible for this man’s blood.

What name?

Acts 22:7I fell to the ground and heard a voice say to me, ‘Saul, Saul, why do you persecute Me?’ 8‘Who are You, Lord?’ I asked. ‘I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom you are persecuting,’ He replied.

But Paul did not hear the name in English or Greek as:

Acts 22:2 “And when they heard that he spoke to them in the Hebrew language, they kept all the more silent...”

Acts 24:14 And when we all had fallen to the ground, I heard a voice speaking to me and saying in the Hebrew language, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.’

He was speaking in Hebrew/Aramaic so Yahushua is a closer rendering which was written into the temple record.

Acts 4:12” Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

2 Corinthians 11:3I am afraid, however, that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may be led astray from your simple and pure devotion to Christ. 4For if someone comes and proclaims a Jesus other than the One we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit than the One you received, or a different gospel than the one you accepted, you put up with it way too easily.

John 5:43 I have come in My Father’s name, and you do not receive Me; if another comes in his own name, him you will receive.

YAHushua did come in His Fathers name:

Isaiah 12:2 Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; ‘For YAH, the LORD, is my strength and song; He also has become my salvation.’ NKJV

Psalm 68:4 Sing to God, sing praises to His name; Extol Him who rides on the clouds, By His name YAH, And rejoice before Him. NKJV

King Jimmy’s translators mixed up Joshua and Jesus easy to do in Greek...

For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. (Hebrews 4:8 KJV)

For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. (Hebrews 4:8 NIV)

Also same in Acts 7:45.

But yes we are elohim...gods...Sons of Yah...YAHushua our brother...to judge Yah worthy of our worship and obedience...and some day to live eternal again...not immortal but dependent on the tree of life in the garden a healing for ALL nations...HalleluYah

Last edited:

Theo102

Are you asking why there are two different names?
No, it was a comment about the misnomer that occurs in Acts 2 and other verses in the NT.

EL or ELOHIM is not a name. It's a title - god. False gods are also ELOHIM, for instance.
No, el is singular but elohim is plural, although they can both be translated as "God". The word elohim is typically treated as if it were singular, though.

clefty

No, it was a comment about the misnomer that occurs in Acts 2 and other verses in the NT.

No, el is singular but elohim is plural, although they can both be translated as "God". The word elohim is typically treated as if it were singular, though.

So this thread is on a passing comment...which remains ambiguous...or?

Zeke

Neville Goddard Lecture – Who Is The Real Messiah . . 06-11-1971

It is in us as persons that God is revealed. “He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ,” [Philippians 1:6]. To say “Jesus Christ” is the same as saying “Jehovah’s Messiah.” Christ is Messiah.
This will not shock you because you have been coming . . maybe all of you . . for quite a while. It certainly would be a shock to the outer world to learn who Messiah is. But I am telling you from my own personal experience Who-He-Is. We are told in Scripture, “He is the Son of God,” [Acts 9:20]. I am telling you tonight who the Son of God really is; and you will never in Eternity find another Son . . not in Eternity!
You and I were taught as Christians that Jesus Christ differs . . is something entirely different from that of the Old Testament. Yet he is made to say, “I have come to fulfill Scripture,” [Matthew 5:17]. “Scripture must be fulfilled in me,“ [Luke 22:37]. “Then beginning with Moses and the law and the prophets and the Psalms, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself,” [Luke 24:27]. He came only to do the Will of God.
Now, in the 40th Psalm we are told:
“I delight to do Thy will, O God. Thy law is within my heart.” [Psalm 40:8]
This is the Psalm of David. It’s the 40th Psalm.
“I delight to do Thy will, O God.”
In the 13th Chapter of the Book of Acts, by the same author that gave us the Book of Luke, we are told . . and this is the Lord speaking: “I have found in David, the son of Jesse, a man after my own heart who will do all my will,” [Acts 13:22], . . confirming the 40th Psalm, which is the Psalm of David: “I delight to do Thy will.”
Well, I am telling you from my own experience, the day is coming . . and I hope it’s in the immediate present . . that you will be set free. You’ll be set free only as you find David. “If the Son sets you free, you are free indeed,” [John 8:36]. Well, who are you? You are God the Father. That’s Who-You-Are.

Theo102

So this thread is on a passing comment...which remains ambiguous...or?

It's about the misnomer that occurs when Peter and Paul refer to the Messiah as if he were YHWH. This affects the Arian controversy because the apostolics aren't going to question Peter and Paul and could treat the apparent equivalence as support for the one substance doctrine of the Trinity.

Theo102

It is in us as persons that God is revealed.

For the LORD your God [is] God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:
Deuteronomy 10:17, KJV

clefty

It's about the misnomer that occurs when Peter and Paul refer to the Messiah as if he were YHWH. This affects the Arian controversy because the apostolics aren't going to question Peter and Paul and could treat the apparent equivalence as support for the one substance doctrine of the Trinity.

oh ok...hope we are making progress as this is foundational to Christendom

The issue remains unresolved as the East has the progression of the Spirit from the Father alone and the Romans have it from both the Father and the Son

The Trinity construct must add and subtract from the Word.

As I offered already one reason Jews reject the New Testament its hope of Israel is exactly for distorting the OT in its quotation.

Obviously HOW the still Unnamed Spirit plays a role is key.

The Jews as the Muslims reject that the One Almighty King could have by His Spirit an only begotten Messenger which even in the secular realm makes equal the King with his messenger...

Had the Devine messenger not left the donkey made to frustrate Balaam that beast of burden would still be with us...

just as the healing power Spirit of the bronze serpent departed rendering it a useless idol fit for destruction...

or AS the second temple was Spirit-less its holy of holies devoid of furnishings or the Spirit until Yahushua came to be dedicated circumcised and recorded...

Even the claim of “Holy Lands” infers there remains in that geography a Spirit that has long departed...we don’t venerate images or relics why die for abandoned temporal territory?

And yet how many more will kill and be killed thinking the Spirit not only rejects the only begotten One...His way He modelled for us as an example...but also returns to a building made of hands

But if they say He is there do NOT go to the desert or to the secret chambers...

Last edited:

Wick Stick

Now supposing Adam did NOT fall he indeed would be a judge ETERNAL as having access to the tree of Life...He of course was to know both good and evil but how else than the fall is unrecorded...Except the killing and cursing was a clue...another topic another thread
Once upon a time, I had a theology professor who liked to say that the more you do good, the clearer it becomes what is good, and what is not. And conversely, the more you do evil, the less clear it becomes. By that logic, experiencing evil is not necessary to recognize evil, and in fact has the opposite effect.

I didn't agree with a lot of his theology, but on this one... I think he nailed it.

clefty

Once upon a time, I had a theology professor who liked to say that the more you do good, the clearer it becomes what is good, and what is not. And conversely, the more you do evil, the less clear it becomes. By that logic, experiencing evil is not necessary to recognize evil, and in fact has the opposite effect.

I didn't agree with a lot of his theology, but on this one... I think he nailed it.

Thanks for responding

thanks for sharing

good stuff...reminds me of the “two wolves inside us fighting each other...good wolf vs bad wolf...the winner is the one you feed”

is why for me the FRUITS of our belief faith thinking = our attitude behavior actions...and are critical not just to witness to others but for self referencing ourselves to a standard Another set...