Amazon Stockholders Pressure Company

drbrumley

To stop selling facial recognition tech to government.

Amazon shareholders with shares worth $1.32 billion have filed a resolution aimed at stopping the company selling its controversial facial recognition technology to government agencies.

The five investors want Amazon's board to investigate the technology and conclude it "does not cause or contribute to actual or potential violations of civil and human rights."

It is the first time an investor proposal has been put forward on the Rekognition software, and could be the first of its kind at any US company.

Civil liberties organizations, academics, and Amazon employees have all protested against the technology.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Yes, but trying to pick out an individual from the crowd and follow them is currently very labor and time intensive. The software in question would solve that.

unless you wear a floppy hat

or live in the north:
quebec-feature_dse607.jpeg

or wear a niqab

or can pass for japanese:
mask.png

Kit the Coyote

be specific - what aspects of an orewllian 1984 type world do Civil liberties organizations, academics, and Amazon employees fear?
The use of technology to monitor and control populations.

In George Orwell’s 1984, technology has advanced well beyond Orwell’s time, but only for the purpose of controlling the citizens of Oceania. In the novel, as the post above noted, cameras and telescreens have been developed for the purpose of surveillance. We could argue that, in real life, technology is just now beginning to approach the level of “spying” seen in the story. We are now photographed by cameras in almost every building we enter (or so it seems). Although Orwell worked on the book in the 1940’s, it is only recently that we have seen technology used for surveillance to this extent.

https://www.enotes.com/homework-help/how-technology-portrayed-orwell-1984-348452

ok doser

monitoring and controlling - isn't that what laws are for?

i want my society to be monitored and controlled - here's the results you can expect when that fails:

2013-01-14-http%3A-www.dnainfo.com-chicago-2012-chicago-murders-timeline%3Fmon%3D1-chi_murder_interactive_600x400.jpg

ok doser

George Orwell wrote 35 years before 1984 (it was written in 1949).
It is now 35 years after 1984.

Coincidence?

i blame bush

(btw - watched Vice last night - amusing - skewed left as can be expected, but Christian Bale was great, as were Sam Rockwell and Steve carell)

Kit the Coyote

monitoring and controlling - isn't that what laws are for?

i want my society to be monitored and controlled - here's the results you can expect when that fails:

I can only point out something that one of my government law enforcement instructors said, the two safest cities to live in IRT crime in Western history were Nazi Belin and Soviet Moscow. Too much of anything even law and order can be a bad thing.