Aleph Tau?

Tigger 2

The first sentence in the Bible begins like this:
בְּרֵאשִׁית בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים אֵת
In the beginning God created Alef Tav

To be honest, you should have completed the sentence!

"[Aleph Tau or Alef Tav], the definite direct object indicator, is never translated. When standing independently, it is rendered [in this source] with three asterisks (***, e.g., Gen. 1:1)." – p. xxvii, The NIV Interlinear Hebrew-English Old Testament, Vol. 1, Zondervan Publ., 1979.

It is found thousands of times through all the Hebrew Scriptures and is often used with someone other than God or the Messiah! For example, in Gen. 13:11 it is associated with Lot (and indicates that he chose the whole plain). At Gen. 14:16 it is used with Abram (not God nor the Messiah). Gen. 17:26 uses this same indicator with Ishmael (not God nor the Messiah). And so it goes throughout the Hebrew scriptures.

'Aleph Tau' as used in this manner has absolutely nothing to do with 'first and last,' 'alpha and Omega,' 'beginning,' 'Jesus,' etc., and any serious Hebrew OT scholar (even beginners) should be aware of this!

“In view of the fundamental grammatical use of the ‘aleph tav’ no wonder the ‘aleph tav’ is found on every page of the Hebrew Scriptures, without ‘aleph tav’ one would not know who is doing what!

“A flaw in the ‘aleph tav’ (את) revelations of the Christian and Messianic movements is that close to 2000 years of scholarship has not made any connection between the ‘aleph tav’ (את) and the Alpha (Α) and the Omega (Ω).” - Menashe's Blog

WatchmanOnTheWall

Here we have Chair, who claims to be a Hebrew speaker and reader, who says your ideas are incorrect. That they are based on a lack of understanding of the Hebrew language. You have several options:

1. Learn something about Hebrew. There are many sources online, some of which have been pointed out to you.
2. Ask another Hebrew speaker. One who you trust.
3. Take the easy way out, and claim that Chair is lying.

You choose #3. A simple cop-out.

I started reading Hebrew in 1964.

Okay if you can have conversation here with a Hebrew speaker and they can confirm your claim I will believe you till then I don't.

chair

Okay if you can have conversation here with a Hebrew speaker and they can confirm your claim I will believe you till then I don't.

הבעיה - שחוץ ממני אין פה דוברי עברית.
חוץ מיונתן בן איך_קןראים_לו

"שומר על החומות"

אתה אחד האנשים הכי מגעילים ש"זכיתי" לפגוש כאן

genuineoriginal

To be honest, you should have completed the sentence!
I did complete the sentence according to some.

The Word Part Two: the Aleph-Tav
In English, Genesis 1:1 should be understood as "In the beginning Elohim created A to Z." The Prophet Isaiah confirmed the same about YHVH (YHVH) being the first and the last in Isaiah 41:4, 44:6 and 48:12. The English expression that parallels this one is, "He finished everything from A to Z, or from beginning to end."​

Tigger 2

I did complete the sentence according to some.

The Word Part Two: the Aleph-Tav
In English, Genesis 1:1 should be understood as "In the beginning Elohim created A to Z." The Prophet Isaiah confirmed the same about YHVH (YHVH) being the first and the last in Isaiah 41:4, 44:6 and 48:12. The English expression that parallels this one is, "He finished everything from A to Z, or from beginning to end."​

Show me any major translation (KJV, NASB, RSV, NRSV, NIV, JB, NJB, NAB, Tanakh, for example) which translates Gen. 1:1 as you do.

Do you really think all the best Hebrew scholars of the last 400 years really overlooked the truth of this?

Instead all major translations render it as "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

If anyone who is ignorant of the thousands of uses of and the grammatical meaning of the direct object marker ('aleph tau') and decides to translate Gen. 1:1 by ending the sentence there, he would have, "In the beginning God created aleph tau. The heavens and the earth now the earth was formless and empty."

First, the direct object marker is simply 'aleph tau' -- not 'aleph to tau.'

Next, if the first sentence really ended with the definite object marker, the next sentence would be gibberish: "The heavens and the earth now the earth was formless and empty.

Instead, recognizing the use of 'aleph tau' as a definite object marker, we have "In the beginning God made [aleph tau] the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty."

So we have 'God' [subject] 'made' [verb] 'the heavens and the the earth' [Direct Object].

Why is 'Aleph Tau' not found in the other scriptures you cite in Isaiah?

WatchmanOnTheWall

הבעיה - שחוץ ממני אין פה דוברי עברית.
חוץ מיונתן בן איך_קןראים_לו

"שומר על החומות"

אתה אחד האנשים הכי מגעילים ש"זכיתי" לפגוש כאן

אתה מגעיל, אתה יכול להשתמש ב- Google לתרגם. אם ג 'ון מדבר אליך אני בטוח שהוא יכול לאשר את הטענה שלך!

WatchmanOnTheWall

Yoḥanon-benYaʿăqov;5147975 said:
The Particle – אֶת ʾet or – אֵת ʾét indicates the Direct Object of a Verb in a sentence. For example in the following sentence – וַיַּשְׁלֵךְ יוֹסֵף אֶת־הַכַּדּוּרvayyash’léḵ’ Yoséf ʾet-hakaddur – Joseph threw the ball, the direct object is – הַכַּדּוּר – or “the ball.” Here are a couple examples of the same sentence with an indirect object: וַיַּשְׁלֵךְ יוֹסֵף אֶת־הַכַּדּוּר בְּיוֹחָנָןvayyash’léḵ’ Yoséf ʾet-hakaddur b’Yoḥanan – Joseph threw the ball at John; or – וַיַּשְׁלֵךְ יוֹסֵף אֶת־הַכַּדּוּר לְיוֹחָנָןvayyash’léḵ’ Yoséf ʾet-hakaddur l’Yoḥanan – Joseph threw the ball to John, or Joseph threw John the ball.

There is also the word – אַתְּ ʾat’ which means the archaic thou, or the singular form of the modern “you;” and its masculine plural form – אַתּוּן ʾattun and feminine plural form – אַתֵּין ʾattéyn which mean ye, or the plural form of the modern “you.”

There are no secret or hidden meanings outside of certain people’s very wild imaginations.

I see you can speak Hebrew. Chair claims he can also speak Hebrew. Is there any way you could confirm this as I do not believe him? I think he's using Google translate now to support his claim. Much appreciated if you can.

chair

I see you can speak Hebrew. Chair claims he can also speak Hebrew. Is there any way you could confirm this as I do not believe him? I think he's using Google translate now to support his claim. Much appreciated if you can.

Good luck with this. It sounds like a Turing test.

You should get a book on Hebrew grammar, or at least read up on some internet sites. I don't know where you live, but Hebrew speakers are often not hard to find.

Yiddish speakers are less common these days.

genuineoriginal

Show me any major translation (KJV, NASB, RSV, NRSV, NIV, JB, NJB, NAB, Tanakh, for example) which translates Gen. 1:1 as you do.
The answer is not found in translations of the whole Bible, but in study of individual verses and Hebrew letters.
Aleph (א) Tav (ת)
Rabbi Dov Ber, the Maggid of Mezritch, writes in Or Torah pg.35:
It is known in the Kabbalistic literature that the letters of the Aleph-Beis were created first of all. Thereafter, by the use of the letters, the Holy One, Blessed is He, created all the worlds. This is the hidden meaning of the first phrase in the Torah, “In the beginning God created (את)”- that is God’s first act was to create the letters from aleph (א) to tav (ת).​
The early mystical literature of the Jews, composed soon after the Talmud was concluded, dealt extensively with the symbolism and secret meaning of the alphabet. Apart from the special mystical alphabets such as the Otiyyot de-Rabbi Akiva (c. 700) and the alphabet of Ben Sira (Alphabetum Siracidis, c. 700), attention was devoted to the secret meaning of the letters. The most noteworthy works are the Sefer Yeẓirah , the Heikhalot writings, the Pirkei de-Rabbi Eliezer, the Sefer Temunah, Shi'ur Komah, Ḥarba de-Moshe, Sefer ha-Yashar, the Book of Razi'el and the Book of Bahir. The important role that mystical symbolism of letters plays in these writings is already partly evident from their alphabetical structure and shape. The belief that the alphabet has mystical significance is based on the idea that the 22 letters of the alphabet are spiritual essences which came into being as emanations from God. The Talmud had already stated that God created heaven and earth with the help of the alphabet (Ber. 55a), and the idea that the 22 letters as spiritual states were the basis of creation recurs throughout mystical literature (Sefer Yeẓirah, 2:2; 5:22; Zohar, 1:3; 2:152; Zohar Ḥadash, Ruth; Moses Cordovero, Shi'ur Komah, 8; Yal. Reub., Gen., and elsewhere).​

I see a lot of nonsense concerning these two Hebrew characters which are found together in the Hebrew OT text thousands of times.

Never heard of it, do you have any clues so far?

What nonsense? and please- just spell it out- no clues.

The nonsense originally came from the Rabbis when the Talmud was written and Kabbalah.
It has found new life in Christian and Messianic communities that want to equate Alef Tav (first and last letters of Hebrew alphabet) with Alpha Omega (first and last letters of the Greek alphabet)

Revelation 1:8
8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.​