It's really simple, Balder:

Protect the innocent.
Punish the guilty.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Balder

But it seems hypocritical to me.
Maybe you haven't given the topic then appropriate amount of mental attention.

Tell me....
Is all killing murder?

Balder

Is all killing murder?

In the tradition I follow, the prohibition is not against murder, which is a particular kind of killing (according to Judeo-Christian formulations), but against killing itself. Buddhism is more sweeping in its condemnation of killing as a "solution" to our problems.

Balder

Sozo,

I take Crow's post #39 to be a request that I not take this thread on a tangent, so if you want to talk about this topic further, you can post to me on one of my threads in the General Theology forum.

To answer your question, though, Buddhism originally promoted vegetarianism, but not all Buddhists follow that anymore. The emphasis is on not killing human beings in particular, while also protecting all life to the greatest extent practical.

C

cattyfan

I'm a late comer to this thread today.

First, thank you for the warning. I was the one who originally requested it (before the lengthy discussion by some other posters) because I became very literally physically ill when yesterday I unexpectedly came across a graphic photo. I appreciate the warning. With the chance to brace myself, I went ahead and read all of the posts from page one.

Secondly, many of you know when I originally came to TOL, I was adamantly and loudly pro-choice. I was badgered, challenged, questioned, threatened, called names, and sent notes. But it was the quiet voices which caught my attention. And it was because of those gentle, thoughtful messages I began to examine my beliefs. I prayed, contemplated, read Bible passages, looked at pictures of my nieces and nephews. I researched, read, and prayed some more.

Then I received the following note:

abortion change of heart

Hi :cattyfan: .

I was wondering about something... I don't mean to pry or anything, but I remember last fall when you were new to TOL you made some posts saying that you supported keeping abortion legal. Then a few months later I read that you had had a change of heart and that you are now against legalized abortion.

(Correct me if I'm mistaken.)

What role, if any, the discussion(s) on TOL played in your change of heart. And if they did play a role, to what extent?

The reason I ask is that I often see debates on TOL that go like this:

Christian: This (law/situation/school curriculum/court's decision/common perception/whatever) is terrible! We've got to stop this!

Scoffer: Then get out there and DO something about it instead of whining about it on the internet.

The way I see it, "whining about it on the internet" IS doing something about it. This is, after all, a public forum set up to facilitate debate. And the people who are here, whether they post or just read, know that and are here of their own volition. And every now and then, someone changes their heart and mind about something based on the discussions here.

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Ephesians 6:12

Thanks for your time,
:turbo:

This is how I responded:

to be honest, Turbo, the discussions on TOL have caused me to question my support of legalized abortion. I am not fully turned, but I am having serious second thoughts about many of the things I've said here and other places.

Part of it has been the gentle words of people like ebenz and Nineveh and others like them...part of it has been the cold words of posters classifying "fetuses" as non-people, when I know from seeing 2 of my nephews born at 5 and 1/2 months and being fully formed little beings that they are, indeed, people. And part of it has been the blatant ignorance of some of the posters in the pro-choice camp.

When I was in college, I was militantly pro-choice. I went to a very liberal school, and that was the accepted viewpoint. Since then, I hadn't been challenged on my beliefs (I'm 37 now), and, because of that, I hadn't examined why I held those ideas. The debate on TOL has forced me to seriously take a look at what I think and why, and, frankly, I didn't like my reasons. They don't seem as sound now, or even, in some cases, logical.

The debates here have caused me to take a closer look at who I was and who I would like to be. Without these discussions, where we get to remain anonymous while learning, I'm not sure I could have reached this point. I still have trouble with the topic, knowing pregnancy would kill me (kidney problems,) but to look at the subject from an objective point of view, I can't say I honestly support abortion…and even personally, knowing pregnancy is death for me, I don't believe I could really terminate. (That's something I've never told anyone, but always felt.)

by the way, Sozo's vitriole did not help...in fact he hindered the process. When faced with that kind of anger, I, like so many, dig my heals in. It's the soft voices, that helped me think.

1 Kings 19:12-13 "...And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave."

Job 26:14 "and these are but the outer fringe of his works. how faint the whisper we hear of Him! Who then can understand the thunder of His power?"

I hope this answered your question...you're always welcome to ask me anything. I'll try to answer as honestly as I can.

Kindest Regards,

cattyfan

I should have given some credit to Sozo, as it was his anger towards me which originally got my attention.

The pictures on this thread made me sob. The easy dismissal of those same photos by some posters made me sob harder. My time here at TOL has forever changed me, and I am no longer pro-choice. I may be stubborn, but I'm not stupid. Those pictures clearly show children whose lives were ended by unnatural means. That's murder.

:cattyfan:

Last edited:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wow, Catty. I admire you beyond words. :cry:
You, whose life is in danger if ever becoming pregnant, would take such a stand. I only hope to match this kind of integrity that I've found in you.
You are my new hero!!!

C

cattyfan

thank you for the compliment. I'm humbled by those of you who've given their time and wisdom to help teach me.

I've never been good about admitting mistakes or talking about such a personal, deeply-held opinion. But after reading through this thread I was compelled to discuss how the Holy Spirit and those who belong here on TOL have changed me. I only hope this helps others whose hearts have been hardened by a society that encourages the blatant disregard for human life.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by cattyfan

thank you for the compliment. I'm humbled by those of you who've given their time and wisdom to help teach me.

I've never been good about admitting mistakes or talking about such a personal, deeply-held opinion. But after reading through this thread I was compelled to discuss how the Holy Spirit and those who belong here on TOL have changed me. I only hope this helps others whose hearts have been hardened by a society that encourages the blatant disregard for human life.
Ok, Catty, you keep this up and I'm going to have to ask you to pay me for a new keyboard. This one keeps getting wet.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Balder

In the tradition I follow, the prohibition is not against murder, which is a particular kind of killing (according to Judeo-Christian formulations), but against killing itself. Buddhism is more sweeping in its condemnation of killing as a "solution" to our problems.
Well thankfully most people aren't as dumb as you are and most people can see the difference between "killing" and "murder".

You see.... most people are smart enough to realize that when a lady is being raped in a grocery store parking lot and she stabs the attacker in the throat with her pocket knife she didn't commit a murder. In fact what she did was a good thing!

You..... on the other hand will live your life making a fool of yourself because your too stupid to make this simple distinction.

“And will you profane Me among My people ...., killing people who should not die, and keeping people alive who should not live,...� - Ezekiel 13:19

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by cattyfan

Actually it is us (TOL and it's mod's and admin's) that are honored to have such an honest and frank Christian woman like you Catty as a member of our website.

Sozo

Originally posted by Knight

Actually it is us (TOL and it's mod's and admin's) that are honored to have such an honest and frank Christian woman like you Catty as a member of our website.
Here.. Here!!

btw...

I'm sorry if I was too abrasive in the beginning, catty, and thank God for those who softened the blow. You are a testimony to the need of a great site like TOL, and how important it is that those who stand firm in the faith, continue to support it.

C

cattyfan

originally posted by Sozo

I'm sorry if I was too abrasive in the beginning, catty, and thank God for those who softened the blow. You are a testimony to the need of a great site like TOL, and how important it is that those who stand firm in the faith, continue to support it.

apology accepted, but given that it was you who got me to initially pay attention, I don't think you need to apologize. And thank you for the support.

ShadowMaid

I just came across this thread, and I was near tears when I saw that one picuture of the child with a severed head next to where is actually should have been. I can't understand how people can do that for a living. What a beautiful being, and they can killed it, heartlessly. It makes me so mad. I can hardly stand it.

I'm only 14 (almost 15 now! :) ), but I'm actually looking forward to getting married young, and motherhood.

Until then I just cry, and go to some abortion protests. Which I actually thoroughly enjoy. I feel so much better with how I spent my time that day. But yet I still feel so sad, knowing that I didn't stop aborion, and sometimes it seems that I only made someone madder and stick with abortion even more.

It's very sad to see young girls, only a little older then me yelling from a distance saying that we're full of it, and so on.

From this thread, I feel my duty to go out and try my best to stop all of this. It shouldn't happen, and we shouldn't be silent anymore.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Catty-
Thank you. You are a great and wonderful person.

Sozo-
I feel the same way as Cattyfan. You seemed nothing more than abrasive and full of...hot air, when I arrived here. But somehow I saw your point, and I changed my mind. You are now someone I respect deeply.

Crow

Originally posted by lighthouse

Catty-
Thank you. You are a great and wonderful person.

Sozo-
I feel the same way as Cattyfan. You seemed nothing more than abrasive and full of...hot air, when I arrived here. But somehow I saw your point, and I changed my mind. You are now someone I respect deeply.

Like you and catty, Sozo grew on me too. He's always been availiable when I need a point of theology explained, he's never held back from telling me when I was wrong, and he's been kind and helpful in recommending books that have helped me to understand the Christian faith better.

He ain't so bad once you get to know him. But don't tell Sozo that. :chuckle: