Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Pepsi: Aborted Baby Cells in Drink Research

This is the show from Wednesday April 27th, 2011.

SUMMARY:

* Stunning Interview includes Report of Company's Defense: Bob Enyart interviews Debi Vinnedge, executive director of Florida's Children of God for Life, about the use of an aborted baby's kidney cells to produce "isolated human taste receptors" which are then monitored for whether or not they produce certain proteins when exposed to various flavor enhancers. (The same research can be done ethically using adult stem cells and in other ways.)

* Coca Cola and Campbell's Soups Do Right: Thanks to Debi's work, Coca Cola and Campbell's Soups immediately ended their research projects with Senomyx, the biotech company conducting the flavor-enhancing research with aborted baby cells.

* But Pepsi has Dug In, So the Boycott Begins: As announced on Colorado's 50,000-watt AM 670 KLTT, America's #1 most-powerful Christian radio station, veteran talk show host Bob Enyart along with longtime CRTL vice president Leslie Hanks, on behalf of the nation's first right-to-life group and the state's largest pro-life organization Colorado Right To Life, are joining Debi Vinnedge's call for a boycott of

all Pepsi beverages
including:
- Pepsi & Diet Pepsi
- Mountain Dew
- Sierra Mist
- Gatorade
- Propel
- Tropicana Orange Juice
- Bottled Lipton ice teas
- Bottled Starbucks Frappucinos, and
- Aquafina Water.

* Remember Gordon and Beverly Recommend: Gordon recommends Bob Enyart's Mt. Moriah DVD on the evidence for the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Thanks Gordon! And Beverly recommends Bob's Nicer than God article (also available as a Nicer than God Bible seminar for download and on MP3 CD)!

Today’s Resource: Do you know the Bible as well as you would like to? Do you have compelling Bible Study materials that cause you to LOVE studying? If not, check this out! You can learn the Scriptures with our verse-by-verse and topical BEL Bible Study albums! You can get these MP3 CDs in the mail, or listen immediately by downloading Bob Enyart's studies! If you've never listened to Pastor Bob's seminar giving an overview of the whole Bible, you owe it to yourself to download and listen to The Plot study right now! Then follow up with The Tree, and you'll be on your way to a renewed love affair with God's Word!

Alate_One

* Stunning Interview includes Report of Company's Defense: Bob Enyart interviews Debi Vinnedge, executive director of Florida's Children of God for Life, about the use of an aborted baby's kidney cells to produce "isolated human taste receptors" which are then monitored for whether or not they produce certain proteins when exposed to various flavor enhancers. (The same research can be done ethically using adult stem cells and in other ways.)

* Coca Cola and Campbell's Soups Do Right: Thanks to Debi's work, Coca Cola and Campbell's Soups immediately ended their research projects with Senomyx, the biotech company conducting the flavor-enhancing research with aborted baby cells.

I'm sorry but this "news" report is quite the hyperbole, based in Bob's (and the pro-life organization's) total ignorance of science.

The complaint is over a cell line (HEK 293) that was created in the 1970s from yes an aborted fetus' kidney which was transformed into a stable cell line using viral DNA. We're not talking about any company making NEW cell lines from aborted fetuses. There are plenty of cell lines out there that and not all were gathered ethically, but nearly all are from quite a long time ago. They are stable and useful which is why there's little need to make new ones and any that are are subject to a lot more scrutiny than the ones in the past.

It strikes me as a total waste of time to complain about a company that contracted out a test to another company that used a standard cell line which was created from a sample that just happened to come from a process that is considered to be bad.

Why on earth would you bother boycotting any of the companies involved? No fetuses will be saved. The one in question died 30 years ago.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I'm sorry but this "news" report is quite the hyperbole, based in Bob's (and the pro-life organization's) total ignorance of science.

The complaint is over a cell line (HEK 293) that was created in the 1970s from yes a murdered Jew's kidney which was transformed into a stable cell line using viral DNA. We're not talking about any company making NEW cell lines from murdered Jews. There are plenty of cell lines out there that and not all were gathered ethically, but nearly all are from quite a long time ago. They are stable and useful which is why there's little need to make new ones and any that are are subject to a lot more scrutiny than the ones in the past.

It strikes me as a total waste of time to complain about a company that contracted out a test to another company that used a standard cell line which was created from a sample that just happened to come from a process that is considered to be bad.

Why on earth would you bother boycotting any of the companies involved? No Jews will be saved. The one in question died 30 years ago.

Now do you see why it's such a big deal?

Alate_One

How do you know if it was Jewish and even if it was, why does that make a difference? Seems like you're trying to use more hyperbole to make something *sound* worse.

Obviously we consider abortion murder. But the origin of the cell line is irrelavent to what it is being used for now. Using said cell line isn't supporting abortion or anything else. So no I don't see your point at all. It's a total waste of time to get upset over this issue.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
How do you know if it was Jewish and even if it was, why does that make a difference? Seems like you're trying to use more hyperbole to make something *sound* worse.

Obviously we consider abortion murder. But the origin of the cell line is irrelavent to what it is being used for now. Using said cell line isn't supporting abortion or anything else. So no I don't see your point at all. It's a total waste of time to get upset over this issue.

I don't think he was saying that the fetus was Jewish. He's just replacing "fetus" with "Jew".

MrRadish

As far as I'm aware, we do actually use several of the discoveries made by Nazi scientists in our modern understanding of science. What's wrong with that? Better than wasting it by ignoring it. That would only make the deaths even more meaningless.

Alate_One

I don't think he was saying that the fetus was Jewish. He's just replacing "fetus" with "Jew".

Which makes it even more pointless. Even if you accept the equivalence, it still doesn't make any difference that the cell line is worth using. Many cell lines of the past have been derived under questionable situations, without the benefit of informed consent etc. The most famous of these is HeLa.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
As far as I'm aware, we do actually use several of the discoveries made by Nazi scientists in our modern understanding of science. What's wrong with that? Better than wasting it by ignoring it. That would only make the deaths even more meaningless.
You're comparing apples to oranges. There is nothing wrong with using an evil person's discoveries for good. However, just like blood-money, there is blood-information. Any research obtained from Joseph Mengele's sadistic experiments should have been burned.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Which makes it even more pointless. Even if you accept the equivalence, it still doesn't make any difference that the cell line is worth using. Many cell lines of the past have been derived under questionable situations, without the benefit of informed consent etc. The most famous of these is HeLa.
You're comparing apples to oranges. Henrietta Lacks died of cancer. She wasn't murdered. Furthermore, any benefit society may gain from using fetal stem cells does not justify murder.

MrRadish

You're comparing apples to oranges. There is nothing wrong with using an evil person's discoveries for good. However, just like blood-money, there is blood-information. Any research obtained from Joseph Mengele's sadistic experiments should have been burned.

Why? It wouldn't stop them from having happened. All that would happen is that more people would suffer unnecessarily. Imagine someone dear to you dying of cancer even though there was a known cure, just because it was researched unethically.

GuySmiley

The complaint is over a cell line (HEK 293) that was created in the 1970s from yes an aborted fetus' kidney which was transformed into a stable cell line using viral DNA. We're not talking about any company making NEW cell lines from aborted fetuses. There are plenty of cell lines out there that and not all were gathered ethically, but nearly all are from quite a long time ago. They are stable and useful which is why there's little need to make new ones and any that are are subject to a lot more scrutiny than the ones in the past.
If you listened to the show you'd know that they talked extensively about this. Why do you post in these threads if you don't listen to the show? You accuse Bob of being ignorant but you don't know what he said.

Jukia

If you listened to the show you'd know that they talked extensively about this. Why do you post in these threads if you don't listen to the show? You accuse Bob of being ignorant but you don't know what he said.
Sorry, but the history of Pastor Bob and science on his show only points out his ignorance, over and over again.

Alate_One

I've listened to his shows before, they are mostly a long string of ignorant statements when any type of science is involved.

Besides it's pretty obvious from the summary that Bob considers the research "unethical" and is actively trying to make the research sound worse than it is by titling the show "Aborted Baby Cells in Drink Research".

Alate_One

You're comparing apples to oranges. Henrietta Lacks died of cancer. She wasn't murdered. Furthermore, any benefit society may gain from using fetal stem cells does not justify murder.
Who is saying it justifies murder? I'm not. All I'm saying is, the murder already occurred many decades ago. New murders are not occurring for the research in question to go forward. Why then are you up in arms over the testing being done? At this point, it's just a cell line.

The HeLa cell line produced many miracles of science and the family was denied any compensation nor were they asked for permission to use the cells. But all of this happened back in the 50s (in the HeLa case) Scientists are not going to throw out cell lines because they originated under bad circumstances.

GuySmiley

I've listened to his shows before, they are mostly a long string of ignorant statements when any type of science is involved.
So you'd rather remain the happy hypocrite tearing down strawmen. Ok.

Besides it's pretty obvious from the summary that Bob considers the research "unethical" and is actively trying to make the research sound worse than it is by titling the show "Aborted Baby Cells in Drink Research".
That's not what you said though. You are willfully ignorant.

GuySmiley

Sorry, but the history of Pastor Bob and science on his show only points out his ignorance, over and over again.
Your defense of hypocrisy is noted. No need to consider a source before criticising it anymore? Ok.

Jukia

Your defense of hypocrisy is noted. No need to consider a source before criticising it anymore? Ok.

What hypocrisy? Every time I have listened to Pastor Bob talk about science he is too busy misrepresenting it to show any understanding.

Alate_One

So you'd rather remain the happy hypocrite tearing down strawmen. Ok.
You honestly think I need to listen to every one of Bob's shows to know that he's ignorant of science? That's like saying I have to listen to Fox news every day to make sure they're still right wing. You can claim hypocrisy all you like, fact is Bob doesn't know science very well, and he spends a lot of his time distorting it.

That's not what you said though. You are willfully ignorant.
It isn't? Are you sure you're reading the correct person's posts, because my initial post covered what I just said. I think you're determined to attack me because it's very easy to shoot down Bob's silly assertions. You'd find some other basis had I listened to the entire show anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.