ECT A Question For Tambora

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneStar

My wife committed adultery and left me.

Do you think I should have continued to "cling to her"?

If so, can you provide scriptural support that a man should continue to cling to his wife if she commits adultery and leaves him?
Tambora has gone shopping with my wife and daughter to buy clothing for my darling growing daughter. May be a while before they get home. But I can answer. Hosea and Gomer.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

If so, can you provide scriptural support that a man should continue to cling to his wife if she commits adultery and leaves him?

Tambora has gone shopping with my wife and daughter to buy clothing for my darling growing daughter. May be a while before they get home. But I can answer. Hosea and Gomer.

I see your Hosea and Gomer and call you with Matthew 19: 1-9 LoneStar.

19 Now when Jesus had finished these sayings, he went away from Galilee and entered the region of Judea beyond the Jordan. 2 And large crowds followed him, and he healed them there.

3 And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, “Is it lawful to divorce one's wife for any cause?” 4 He answered, “Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, 5 and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.” 7 They said to him, “Why then did Moses command one to give a certificate of divorce and to send her away?” 8 He said to them, “Because of your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.”

res did the right thing.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well, it IS a Scriptural question and if there's anywhere on TOL to get sound answers, this is the forum.

Let's hope that res isn't banned for starting this thread in what someone thinks is the wrong forum.

God (Jesus) defined grounds for divorce, one of them being sexual immorality. If a parable about Israel's unfaithfulness to God (yet God continued to be faithful towards Israel) somehow trumps Matthew 19: 1-9, I guess I missed it.

Danoh

Let's hope that res isn't banned for starting this thread in what someone thinks is the wrong forum.

God (Jesus) defined grounds for divorce, one of them being sexual immorality. If a parable about Israel's unfaithfulness to God (yet God continued to be faithful towards Israel) somehow trumps Matthew 19: 1-9, I guess I missed it.

No; he reminded THEM that THAT had been THEIR grounds for divorce due to THEIR hardness of heart - THEIR unwillingness to forgive in the grace that He forgave the woman CAUGHT in adultry.

There is no denying the bitter pill anyone in such a predicament would have to confront BUT this was a "weightier matters of the Law" issue.

Matt. 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

It is in that that the needed grace could be found - under the Law, no less!

As Paul noted "this same rule" (principle) under Grace:

1Cor. 11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

John 8:7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Who said the parable trumped anything ? you're just looking for trouble, that's your M.O.

bybee

A man would look inside himself and seek to find what he did that he ought not to have done and what he left undone that he ought to have done that may have contributed to the destruction of his marriage....

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ok doser

A man would look inside himself and seek to find what he did that he ought not to have done and what he left undone that he ought to have done that may have contributed to the destruction of his marriage....

If res' case didn't involve adultery, you'd have a point TOL super moderator bybee.

There is absolutely no way adultery can be justified. PERIOD. Divorce yes, adultery NO.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior

No; he reminded THEM that THAT had been THEIR grounds for divorce due to THEIR hardness of heart - THEIR unwillingness to forgive in the grace that He forgave the woman CAUGHT in adultry...

9 And I [Jesus] say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.

Try not to make Holy Scripture too confusing for yourself Danoh.

Status
Not open for further replies.