A portrait of Jesus in a school? Seriously?

fool

Hall of Fame

The monument sits in a large park containing 17 monuments and 21 historical markers, all designed to illustrate the "ideals" of those who settled in Texas and of those who have lived there since that time.

And

The similar case of McCreary County v. ACLU of Kentucky was handed down the same day with the opposite result (also with a 5 to 4 decision)

So the Van Orden case had the advantage of being amoung other monuments.

Like we already figured out, if they just put up more portraits they could have got by.

Jose Fly

Like we already figured out, if they just put up more portraits they could have got by.

I'm sure their lawyers told them something like that too. If they'd include the painting along with others of say....MLK, Gandhi, Confucius, George Washington...they could argue the Jesus painting was merely part of a larger display of great historical figures or something.

But I doubt the Christians at the school really wanted Jesus portrayed in that light (as just another historical figure). And that would only further expose the true intent behind putting up the painting in the first place.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Well, at least you're still trying.

"The monument sits in a large park containing 17 monuments and 21 historical markers, all designed to illustrate the "ideals" of those who settled in Texas and of those who have lived there since that time."

Is that the same case with the OP?

Doesn't matter, the reasoning it was allowed wasnt because other monuments existed, it was because it had basis in law, in other words secular appeal not only religious.

Non believers recognize Jesus, as do people of other faiths, they just call Him something different than a christian does, as such the same reasoning applies here.

the issue with your nativtity was the message attached, the song attached called Him God, with no message other than a pic, there is no establishment.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
FFRF demands removal of Jesus portrait from Kan. school

Here's the picture....

xYSC1Cv.jpg

Really? What is it with some of these school officials that they think this sort of thing is legal and acceptable? Are they that clueless about the law, or are they Christian theocrats who don't care about the law in the first place?

Either way, why are such idiots in charge of public education?

I have never liked Warner Sallman's iconic portrait of Jesus. First of all, he looks like a cocker spaniel or else a first-century rabbi who covers his face and forehead with Vaseline to make them shiny and holy.

Since Jesus was a party animal and a socially promiscuous sort of guy, I've always liked THIS picture:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...g..0.14.324.KfDRdeeHCvs#imgrc=CS8A5P5OsXpH_M:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It is truly sad that an exclusive focus on Jesus and a moral Christian life is so disruptive and alarming for TheologyOnline.

Shame on TOL for banning voices they don't agree with! The mark of any tyranny is the inability to deal with diversity. It is only the dictatorial, authoritarian who look at any challenge to their autocratic rules as dangerous and in need of annihilation.

The victimization, the anger covering up shame and the immaturity of most folks on this website is truly astonishing to me.

Nevertheless, I will continue to stress the authentic parabolic teachings of Jesus as well as connecting myself and the world to the great moral epic of the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament.

Christian Liberty

Exactly so.

Spoiler

From the WLC
Q. 107. Which is the second commandment?

A. The second commandment is, Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; and showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments. Ex. 20:4-6.

Q. 108. What are the duties required in the second commandment?

A. The duties required in the second commandment are, the receiving, ob- serving, and keeping pure and entire, all such religious worship and ordinances as God hath instituted in his Word; particularly prayer and thanksgiving in the name of Christ; the reading, preaching, and hearing of the Word; the admin- istration and receiving of the sacraments; church government and discipline; the ministry and maintenance thereof; religious fasting; swearing by the name of God, and vowing unto him: as also the disapproving, detesting, opposing, all false worship; and, according to each one’s place and calling, removing it, and all monuments of idolatry. Deut. 32:46-47; Matt. 28:20; Acts 2:42; 1 Tim. 6:13-14; Phil. 4:6; Eph. 5:20; Deut. 17:18-19; Acts 15:21; 2 Tim. 4:2; Jas. 1:21-22: Acts 10:33; Matt. 28:19; 1 Cor. 11:23-30; Matt. 18:15-17; Matt. 16:19; 1 Cor. 5:1-13; 1 Cor. 12:28; Eph. 4: 11-12;1 Tim. 5:17-18; 1 Cor. 9:7-15; Joel 2:12-13; 1 Cor. 7:5; Deut. 6:13; Isa. 19: 21; Ps. 76:11; Acts 17:16-17; Ps. 16:4; Deut. 7:5; Isa. 30:22.

Q. 109. What are the sins forbidden in the second commandment?

A. The sins forbidden in the second commandment are, all devising, coun- selling, commanding, using, and anywise approving, any religious worship not instituted by God himself; tolerating a false religion; the making any representation of God, of all, or of any of the three Persons, either inwardly in our mind, or outwardly in any kind of image or likeness of any creature whatsoever; all worshiping of it, or God in it or by it; the making of any rep- resentation of feigned deities, and all worship of them, or service belonging to them; all superstitious devices, corrupting the worship of God, adding to it, or taking from it, whether invented and taken up of ourselves, or received by tradition from others, though under the title of antiquity, custom, devotion, good intent, or any other pretence whatsoever; simony; sacrilege; all neglect, contempt, hindering, and opposing the worship and ordinances which God hath appointed. Num. 15:39; Deut. 13:6-8; Hos. 5:11; Mic. 6:16; 1 Kings 11:33; 1 Kings 12: 33; Deut. 12:30-32; Deut. 13:6-12; Zech. 13:2-3; Rev. 2:2, 14-15, 20; Rev. 17:12, 16-17; Deut. 4:15-19; Acts 17:29; Rom. 1:21-23, 25; Dan. 3:18; Gal. 4:8; Ex. 32: 5; Ex. 32:8; 1 Kings 18:26, 28; Isa. 65:11; Acts 17:22; Col. 2:21-23; Mal. 1:7-8, 14; Deut. 4:2; Ps. 106:39; Matt. 15:9; 1 Pet. 1:18; Jer. 44:17; Isa. 65:3-5; Gal. 1: 13-14; 1 Sam. 13:11-12; 1 Sam. 15:21; Acts 8:18; Rom. 2:22; Mal. 3:8; Ex. 4:24-26; Matt. 22:5; Mal. 1:7, 13; Matt. 23:13; Acts 13:44-45; 1 Thess. 2:15-16.

Q. 110. What are the reasons annexed to the second commandment, the more to enforce it?

A. The reasons annexed to the second commandment, the more to enforce it, contained in these words, For I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; and showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments; are, besides God’s sovereignty over us, and propriety in us, his fervent zeal for his own worship, and his revengeful indignation against all false worship, as being a spiritual whoredom; accounting the breakers of this commandment such as hate him, and threatening to punish them into divers generations; and esteeming the observers of it such as love him and keep his commandments, and promising mercy to them unto many generations. Ex. 20:5-6; Ps. 45:11; Rev. 15:3-4; Ex. 34:13-14; 1 Cor. 10:20-22; Jer. 7:18-20; Ezek. 16:26-27; Deut. 32:16-20; Hos. 2:2-4; Deut. 5:29.

AMR

Yes. Amen. THIS is why it should be taken down. Fighting to keep this up not only opens the door for pluralism, but its also idolatrous. Even if pictures of Muhammad and Buddha are not similarly allowed, the very presence of an "image of Christ" is an idol.

Jose Fly

Doesn't matter, the reasoning it was allowed wasnt because other monuments existed, it was because it had basis in law, in other words secular appeal not only religious.

I just quoted from the page you linked to where it says the fact that the monument was part of a larger display was a significant factor.

You are so desperate to not concede a single thing that now you're even waving away your own sources! Unbelievable.

Jose Fly

Why is it somehow supposedly wrong to display of picture of this particular historical figure, but somehow acceptable to hang an image of, say, Abraham Lincoln?

Because Jesus is the central figure, and deity of Christianity. It's no different than if the school had put up a painting of the Buddha, Joseph Smith, or Satan.

Cruciform

Because Jesus is the central figure, and deity of Christianity. It's no different than if the school had put up a painting of the Buddha, Joseph Smith, or Satan.
Satan isn't a historical human being. Jesus, Buddha, and Joseph Smith, however, are just as historical---and historically important---as Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, George Washington, or Albert Einstein. Your double standard is noted.

Jose Fly

Satan isn't a historical human being. Jesus, Buddha, and Joseph Smith, however, are just as historical---and historically important---as Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, George Washington, or Albert Einstein.

Yet Jesus is the only one whose painting is up in the school. Funny that. Oh, but I'm sure if the school had put up a painting of Joseph Smith and no one else, none of you fundie Christians would ever think for one second that it had anything at all to do with Mormonism. :rolleyes:

Cruciform

Yet Jesus is the only one whose painting is up in the school. Funny that.
Is the choice you're offering here really between hanging one picture vs. hanging pictures of all known historical figures?

Oh, but I'm sure if the school had put up a painting of Joseph Smith and no one else, none of you fundie Christians...
Sorry, I left behind "fundie Christianity" in order to become a Catholic Christian.

...would ever think for one second that it had anything at all to do with Mormonism.
Of course it would have to do with Mormonism, just as a picture of George Washington would have to do with 18th-century Protestant deism, and as a picture of Charles Darwin would have to do with 19th-century agnosticism. None of this, however, negates the fact that these are all historical figures.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Jose Fly

Is the choice you're offering here really between hanging one picture vs. hanging pictures of all known historical figures?

Drop your black/white thinking, it's not healthy.

Believe it or not, there is space between "one painting of a historical figure" and "paintings of every historical figure that's ever existed". :duh:

Sorry, I left behind "fundie Christianity" in order to become a Catholic Christian.

I've known plenty of fundamentalist Catholics.

Of course it would have to do with Mormonism

Exactly, just as the painting of Jesus has to do with Christianity.

just as a picture of George Washington would have to do with 18th-century Protestant deism, and as a picture of Charles Darwin would have to do with 19th-century agnosticism.

Are you kidding me? You're actually arguing that a painting of George Washington would primarily be about Protestant deism? That's what most reasonable observers would think upon seeing the painting?

Every time I think the Christians at ToL can't get more ridiculous, you guys crank it up to 11.

Jose Fly

If they also have pictures of other historical religious leaders of other faiths, probably not illegal.

Probably not, but as I said earlier, I don't think the folks who support this painting want Jesus depicted as merely one of many historical figures. They want exclusivity.

Cruciform

Drop your black/white thinking, it's not healthy.
Is your statement that I should "drop my black/white thinking" itself to be taken in a black/white manner?

I've known plenty of fundamentalist Catholics.
Depends on precisely how you define the term "fundamentalist," doesn't it. The term is hardly self-evident.

Are you kidding me? You're actually arguing that a painting of George Washington would primarily be about Protestant deism? That's what most reasonable observers would think upon seeing the painting?
You're smuggling in terms, concepts, and question-begging principles now.

Every time I think the Christians at ToL can't get more ridiculous, you guys crank it up to 11.
Pot, meet Kettle.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+