A little comedy break....

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
One thing that makes TOL sort of a refreshing, rare environment for me nowadays is that, unlike most settings of my day-to-day life around other people, here, I can freely make jokes like that without hearing them referred to by that undeservingly-popular phrase, "dad jokes".
Curious enough to Google it, turns out there's a Facebook group for dad jokes

Derf

One thing that makes TOL sort of a refreshing, rare environment for me nowadays is that, unlike most settings of my day-to-day life around other people, here, I can freely make jokes like that without hearing them referred to by that undeservingly-popular phrase, "dad jokes".
They're just jealous they didn't think of it first.

Last edited:

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
They're just jealous they didn't think if it first.
I should add, it's never that I take it as though people are speaking disapprovingly or slightingly when they call them "dad jokes"; on the contrary, usually, they seem to genuinely laugh, and feel that the jokes are funny (or, at least, they are kindly humoring me). It's just that, since they'll pretty much use the term for just about any joke you tell them and they find clever or amusing (and, the thing is, they usually seem to only use the term if they find the joke to be so) it kind of makes the term superfluous. I always kind of want to say, "'Dad jokes'? By that, do you just mean jokes?" or "Can you give me some examples of jokes you would not call 'dad jokes'?" (Actually, I'd probably regret asking that second question, as some people would probably answer it by repeating to me some filthy, smutty, worthless thing they heard somewhere, that wouldn't seem the least bit funny or clever to me, and to which I could never grant the name, "joke".)

Derf

I should add, it's never that I take it as though people are speaking disapprovingly or slightingly when they call them "dad jokes"; on the contrary, usually, they seem to genuinely laugh, and feel that the jokes are funny (or, at least, they are kindly humoring me). It's just that, since they'll pretty much use the term for just about any joke you tell them and they find clever or amusing (and, the thing is, they usually seem to only use the term if they find the joke to be so) it kind of makes the term superfluous. I always kind of want to say, "'Dad jokes'? By that, do you just mean jokes?" or "Can you give me some examples of jokes you would not call 'dad jokes'?" (Actually, I'd probably regret asking that second question, as some people would probably answer it by repeating to me some filthy, smutty, worthless thing they heard somewhere, that wouldn't seem the least bit funny or clever to me, and to which I could never grant the name, "joke".)
Maybe you've discovered the mystery of the distinction: dad jokes are the ones you can actually tell your kids