A bit about me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atheist PhD

BANNED
Banned
You mentioned that.
So where are you at on;
Gun control - As a Southern born man, I am kind of liberal on this issue in that I own guns, but I think they should be controlled more.
Abortion I believe it is a woman's body, it is her decision. I don't think a embryo is a human, yet.
Age of the Earth Well it sure as heck ain't 7000 years old, more like 4 billion.
Moon landings I watched the first one on TV, so I'm all for them
Birth certificates Not sure about this one.
Gay marrige See my first blog on this one, but I think everyone should have the right to be miserable. JK
9/11 No conspiracy there, just a very aweful RELIGIOUS act.
Oil spills Clean them up.
Roman Polanski Not sure I have an opinion.
Britney SpearsI'd do her/
World Cup take it or leave it, I like baseball
Health careIt should be available to everyone
Immigration Get em all a green card
N. KoreaCan we bomb them?
IranSee N. Korea
AfganistanSon's been there, not happy
IraqSame son was shot there in May
Iran
IsraelDon't care for religions or state that support religion
Spice GirlsScary was my girl
Lindsey LohanIs 90 days enough
Global warmingSucks
Electric carsI want one
JFKI watch his funeral, he's dead
And so forth?

You sure are curious, and that's a cute kid, reminds me of my grandchild. Ok, I've tried to give you the quick answers on your questions.

fool

Hall of Fame
Well, for the obvious reason that I simply can't stomach a Christian who uses his professional blog to preach his belief system,
But you mentioned that you had some comingleing of blogs yourself,
I am not looking to deconvert anyone in my professional life
Why not? Don't you fight stupid where you find it?
As a Marriage and Family man, it isn't my job to deal with religion but with the psychology and sociology of the family unit. While this sometimes includes religion, I tend to stay away from religion as much as possible in my profession.
So you practice avoidence :think:
Tell me about that......

fzappa13

Two fallacies here, first is how one holds himself moral in his own eyes, I suppose since I do not have a Christian doctrine to guide me, my morals are what, suspect? My morality comes from doing the right things, helping others, being kind, loving those around me, and NOT being judgemental. .

My question was and is, to what standard do you hold yourself that you find yourself moral by whatever standard you hold yourself to … and while we are on the subject, does not finding yourself or anyone else “moral” imply a judgment of one’s morality?

As for the second issue, if you read what I posted, I said MIGHT question my morality based on my atheism. Come, come now, we have to be honest, many, many Christians believe that without religion one can't be moral.

Religion should never be confused with morality though it often is. It is just a litmus test of sorts as to the relative “morality” of any given adherent … hence my initial question.

I've been an atheist a long time. If you are different, then you won't be offended by my statement, if you protest too much, well......

I should think that my brief protestation is not yet sufficient to invoke the offerings of “The Bard” but, if so, you’ll likely find your stay here brief and inhospitable if my probings have already elicited such a response.

keypurr

Hello, I believe in being up front, I am an Atheist. I have had no belief in god for several decades now, and I have no interest in changing that. Why, then, am I here? Good question, I have come here as an intellect, in search of an understanding of faith. I have a thirst to know why, when confronted with such overwhelming evidence against a personal god, Christians refuse to even acknowledge the obvious points.

I have a theist friend, we have a strange relationship, we take turns choosing a book to read, then we debate the pros and cons of what the author has written. I find that the more I read that is written by Christian writters the stronger my belief that god is a man-made construct, and my atheism grows even stronger.

So, here I am, open to discussions and debate. I make this promise to each of you. I am NOT here to cause you trouble, I am NOT here to disrupt your forum, and I am NOT here to deconvert anyone. I will answer questions, I will offer my rational opinions and views, I will guide you to read certain things, and in turn I'll listen to you and read what you present. My hope is we can do this openly, without hate or fear, that you will come to see me as a gentle soul, a man not possessed by the devil, or evil in my intent, but a man who loves life, his family, his world, and those who inhabit it.

I am a moral man, though many might think otherwise on this site. I am a hard working man, and I have reared two wonderful children, both of whom have gone on to lead very productive and wonderful adult lives. I volunteer in the community, I teach without trying to spread my views, and I love each of you in the spirit of mankind.

And, that is me, in a nutshell.

Welcome friend, you sound like a person who thinks for himself. I am what I consider a follower of Christ but not the church. Many years ago I grew out of traditional beliefs and into what I think is God's truth. No one can prove to you that there is a God, that is something that requires faith. Which in turn comes from trying to learn and understand how this world came to be. Keep a sharp eye on those who do not know who God really is and will talk your ear off showing how little we all know.
Again, welcome

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Let's see, I'm not going to go through all the work you went though,
It wasn't really work, but I didn't actually expect you to engage on a point to point, so neither harm nor foul done by omission.
although, please know I appreciate it.
And you're genial too. Let's see just how...
I do want to touch a couple things, however.
That's the spirit.
Do I what?
always go through a person's introduction
I wouldn't say always.
and seek to break it down for them?
For them? Almost never. :D
That's somewhat pretentious in itself, isn't it?
Petentious? Nah, but it is a great way to gauge how seriously a newbie is taking himself...sense of humor, the ability to shrug and swing back with a grin goes a long way in terms of longevity around here. I think that if you make the sort of assumptive declaration regarding matters of faith that you evidently felt comfortable making you'd better have thick skin and be expecting exception to be taken. Hopefully the sort that isn't laced with anger and epithet.
I hope no one hates me or fears me, well except my students perhaps (joke) and as for the vanity thing, why is an atheist any more or less vain than a theist.
Actually I said it wasn't the singular province, didn't I? But from a theist's perspective the atheist's declaration must be seen as a vain conceit in its usurpation, however it appears to you from your side of the street.
YOU are convinced you are going to live forever, YOU hold the assurance that you are right, that your god is real, that your way is the only way. THAT is vanity.
Well, no. Vanity would be in thinking I had any part of making or sustaining the reality of God and what follows. You might call it presumptuous, but you can't really call it vain.
Funny you mention unfounded hooey, I happen to think that Christiantity, no religion, is built on unfounded hooey, with NO empirical proof or evidence for existence other than Faith. Hmmm... I've only been here an hour and already attacked, LOVE IT.
Not attacked, tested. On a 1 to 10 scale your sense of humor is clocking in at around 4 so far...sensitivity at around a 8...as for empirical evidence, allow me to introduce myself on the subject. What criteria, if met, would objectively demonstrate the existence of God? When you get to the end of chewing that over you should recognize that the foundation of apologetics and the challenge for proof are fairly hollow sounds, form without substance.
I have one child who is atheist, the other is agnostic, and my wife is a lifetime atheist. Nice group, we are.
As to the first part, I'm genuinely sorry to hear it. As to the last, I'd hope so, given. And there are a number of amiable atheists around TOL.
So, here's what I found out about you. You are smug,
A swing and a thin skinned miss..I'm not particularly complacent nor am I prone to fits of self satisfaction. Now if you'd said arrogant I'd have given you partial credit. Mostly I don't take nonsense posed as objectivity without answering and respond to declarations of geniality wrapped in condescending insult to the Holy with an amiable enough backhand.
you give the impression of being somewhat elitist
By what standard and illustration? Or, depends on how you mean it.
but aren't most Christians,
Not if they understand the cross, no. Christianity is rooted in the understanding that no man merits grace. It is, instead, a remarkable gift that should instill its recipient with a deep seated gratitude and appreciation for the mercy granted those justly judged and condemned else.
and you have some issues with defending your faith in a rational way.
Oh stop it, Mary. There's literally no meat on that skeleton. Or, in other words, by all means try me. As I noted, I'm not the fearful type and argument is my wheelhouse and was my livelihood.

You know, I suspected this is how you might respond for all the profession of contrary sentiment. The username was a dead giveaway...and I'm elitist/pretentious? :chuckle: Note, I leave you to understand/distinguish the joke. :plain:
Well, thanks again for the chat.
De nada. So we're even.

:e4e:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Welcome
Hello, I believe in being up front, I am an Atheist. I have had no belief in god for several decades now, and I have no interest in changing that. Why, then, am I here? Good question, I have come here as an intellect, in search of an understanding of faith. I have a thirst to know why, when confronted with such overwhelming evidence against a personal god, Christians refuse to even acknowledge the obvious points.
The evidence against God is not overwhelming. It is your interpretation of that evidence that you find overwhelming. When you look at the world around you, you are looking for ways to explain it without the need for a creator. That is your bias. When I look at all the same evidence you do, I am looking for God. That is my bias. You find what you are looking for and I find God's hand in creation revealed.

The evidence is the same, it is the investigator that always brings a bias to the table.

Squishes

When you look at the world around you, you are looking for ways to explain it without the need for a creator. That is your bias. When I look at all the same evidence you do, I am looking for God. That is my bias. You find what you are looking for and I find God's hand in creation revealed.

When I look at the world around me, I see a monitor, a few empty coffee cups, an empty beer bottle or six and some old newspapers. What do you see?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
When I look at the world around me, I see a monitor, a few empty coffee cups, an empty beer bottle or six and some old newspapers. What do you see?
I think you wrap up the problem of your perception about as well as it could be done. :D Hiya squish.

fzappa13

We each view the world through our own chosen myopia as often as not ... I'm more than just a little curious how you came to embrace yours.

Squishes

We each view the world through our own chosen myopia as often as not ... I'm more than just a little curious how you came to embrace yours.

I have no idea what you are asking.
Are you asking how I came to embrace vision? Am I the only one who has these kinds of visual experiences?

fzappa13

I have no idea what you are asking.
Are you asking how I came to embrace vision? Am I the only one who has these kinds of visual experiences?

You are asking me questions only you have the answer to ... that is unless you believe there is a God who is so empowered. I'm not real sure how to respond other than to suggest that there may well be an entity so empowered and you might be well advised to supplicate Him.

Squishes

You are asking me questions only you have the answer to ... that is unless you believe there is a God who is so empowered. I'm not real sure how to respond other than to suggest that there may well be an entity so empowered and you might be well advised to supplicate Him.

I agree that there may be a God.
You want me to beg him to give me answers? If I give it a shot and it doesn't happen, does that mean you'll give agnosticism a chance?

fzappa13

I agree that there may be a God.
You want me to beg him to give me answers? If I give it a shot and it doesn't happen, does that mean you'll give agnosticism a chance?

I was born into agnosticism so I think the question moot. That said, I would suggest that anyone seeking truth, whatever it's source, should do so with a humility that should well embrace the possibility of the need to beg.

WizardofOz

I am a moral man

I'll take your words for it.

What is your PhD?
Marriage and Family Counseling

You're a marriage counselor.

Who is married.

Britney SpearsI'd do her/

But would "do" Britney Spears.

And, that is me, in a nutshell.

I guess so.

Have you met Traditio? How about Persephone66? You'll have a lot to talk about.

Status
Not open for further replies.