A Bad Day At The Rocket Ranch. :(

In some respects yes but, there are certain ones usually not even called engineers anymore, they are more like technical fellows, subject matter experts...very, very, smart people but, a bit strange from the norm.
Yes. We have subject matter experts too. That's something I have tried very hard to avoid from my college days to present. God has instilled in me a desire to be flexible. So I have successfully worked as a Quality Analyst, Welding Engineer/Supervisor, R&D Engineer, Plant Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, Project Lead Engineer, Maintenance Engineer, Programmer, Chemical Engineer, Electronics Engineer, Piping and Vessel Stress Engineer, Project Lead Mechanical Engineer, Mechanical Design Engineer, Civil Engineer, Lo to Hi Mach Design Engineer, etc., and jobs I can't talk about. I get bored at four to six years and look to change jobs within a company. I'm doing Weights Engineering now and some documentation work on a fighter jet. It's not particularly exciting.

They have their similarities, very cool. :thumb:
It's cool when you're allowed by management to think outside the box. Fixed processes are destroying engineering creativity. Engineers are now thought of as replacable components.

The Berean

Yes. We have subject matter experts too. That's something I have tried very hard to avoid from my college days to present. God has instilled in me a desire to be flexible. So I have successfully worked as a Quality Analyst, Welding Engineer/Supervisor, R&D Engineer, Plant Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, Project Lead Engineer, Maintenance Engineer, Programmer, Chemical Engineer, Electronics Engineer, Piping and Vessel Stress Engineer, Project Lead Mechanical Engineer, Mechanical Design Engineer, Civil Engineer, Lo to Hi Mach Design Engineer, etc., and jobs I can't talk about. I get bored at four to six years and look to change jobs within a company. I'm doing Weights Engineering now and some documentation work on a fighter jet. It's not particularly exciting.

It's cool when you're allowed by management to think outside the box. Fixed processes are destroying engineering creativity. Engineers are now thought of as replacable components.
You, sir, are very cool! :up:

The Berean

I was saddened to hear about the crash of the SpaceShipTwo during a test flight last week. Michael Alsbury, age 39, was killed and Peter Siebold was seriously injured. Siebold is recovering at a local hospital. This is a little personal for me because both pilots are graduates of Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo, my alma mater. Given their ages it's likely we were attending Cal Poly at the same time, though, I didn't know them.

http://www.gizmag.com/spaceship-two-crash-pilots/34542/

A few minutes after the spacecraft separated from the carrier aircraft it broke apart from yet to be determined reasons.

virgin_galactic_spaceshiptwo_01.jpg

Here are two previous successful test flights.

Last edited: