7th Day Adventists don't like Catholics or the unborn

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Luke 23:54 says the Sabbath drew near (meaning it began). How did Joseph know the Sabbath had begun?

Trumpets announced the beginning and end of the Sabbath. (Jewish Encyclopedia/ Trumpet)

iouae

Yes, the KJV obfuscated epiphosko to support a Friday crucifixion. They needed a part of Friday to make parts of three days.

We know Jesus was not entombed on the afternoon of the day he was crucified because the first day of the week was the third day.

But we were hoping that it was He who was going to redeem Israel. Indeed, besides all this, today is the third day since these things happened. (Luke 24:21 NKJV)​

Had Jesus been entombed on Friday the weekly Sabbath would have been the first day since, Sunday would have been the second day since and Monday would have been the third day since.

Had Jesus been entombed on Wednesday afternoon Thursday would have been the first day since, Friday would have been the second day and the weekly Sabbath would have been the third day.

The third day since negates the Friday entombment.

Hmmm??? Now you have got me thinking. Why would they say that Sunday was the third day since Wednesday?

I am at a loss to answer that :confused:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hmmm??? Now you have got me thinking. Why would they say that Sunday was the third day since Wednesday?

I am at a loss to answer that :confused:

If Jesus was buried as Thursday began then one day since then would be as Friday began, two days later would be as the Sabbath began, the third day would be as Sunday began.

Jesus was raised at sundown, the beginning of Sunday.

Now when He rose early on the first day of the week... (Mark 16:9 NKJV)​

It was still Sunday (the third day) when Jesus talked with the men on their way to Emmaus.

iouae

If Jesus was buried as Thursday began then one day since then would be as Friday began, two days later would be as the Sabbath began, the third day would be as Sunday began.

Jesus was raised at sundown, the beginning of Sunday.

Now when He rose early on the first day of the week... (Mark 16:9 NKJV)​

It was still Sunday (the third day) when Jesus talked with the men on their way to Emmaus.

Yes. It makes more sense to me if they had phrased it "Three days have passed since Christ was crucified..." which is not too different from what they said. Thanks

rstrats

iouae,
re: "So how do you account for the AFTER 3 days scripture?"

What is there in scripture that requires an accounting for the after 3 days scripture? Why not take it for what it says?

iouae

iouae,

What is there in scripture that requires an accounting for the after 3 days scripture? Why not take it for what it says?

I am taking it for what it says.
Look at all the prepositions highlighted.
How can one be in three days and after three days and the third day?

These sound like different lengths of time.

Luke 24:21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these

Luke 18:33 And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again.

Matthew 27:63 Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.

Mark 8:31 And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

Mark 14:58 We heard him say, I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and within three days I will build another made without hands.

John 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

John 2:20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
iouae,

And He began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed and after three days rise again. (Mark 8:31 NKJV)​

He would rise again after three days from when he died. He died on Wednesday and rose again after three days on Sunday.

iouae

What I do understand is that if you tell someone "I will fix your car in three days" it will mean a whole lot of different things to each listener.
Some will think "within".
Some will think "on" the third day.
Some will think "to the exact second 72 hours later".
Some will think "after" three days.

One thing I do know. Christ knew to the nanosecond, how long he would be in the grave.

iouae

And He began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed and after three days rise again. (Mark 8:31 NKJV)​

He would rise again after three days from when he died. He died on Wednesday and rose again after three days on Sunday.

I agree with the Wed crucifixion.

rstrats

iouae,
re: "How can one be in three days and after three days and the third day? These sound like different lengths of time."

The controlling phrase is "after three days". So the others have to be referring to the third day after with the word 'after' being implied. This agrees with Matthew 12:40 and Luke 24:21.

iouae

iouae,
re: "How can one be in three days and after three days and the third day? These sound like different lengths of time."

The controlling phrase is "after three days". So the others have to be referring to the third day after with the word 'after' being implied. This agrees with Matthew 12:40 and Luke 24:21.

I agree with the "after" being implied.

To me the Wed sunset placed in grave to Sat sunset rise from grave ticks all the boxes.

rstrats

jamie,
re: "He would rise again after three days from when he died. He died on Wednesday and rose again after three days on Sunday."

Let's see if that works: If He died on the 4th day of the week, then the first day after His death would be the 5th day of the week, and the second day after His death would be the 6th day of the week, and the third day after His death would be the 7th day of the week and not the 1st day as you suggest. Also, 4 night times would be involved.

iouae

jamie,
re: "He would rise again after three days from when he died. He died on Wednesday and rose again after three days on Sunday."

Let's see if that works: If He died on the 4th day of the week, then the first day after His death would be the 5th day of the week, and the second day after His death would be the 6th day of the week, and the third day after His death would be the 7th day of the week and not the 1st day as you suggest.

I think we are missing "in the belly of the whale = in the belly of the grave". The count begins sunset, not 3pm.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Let's see if that works: If He died on the 4th day of the week, then the first day after His death would be the 5th day of the week, and the second day after His death would be the 6th day of the week, and the third day after His death would be the 7th day of the week and not the 1st day as you suggest.

And Sunday would be after three days, Thursday, Friday, Sabbath are the three days and three nights. Sunday would be after those three days and nights.

rstrats

jamie,
re: "And Sunday would be after three days..."

Then the 7th day of the week would be after two days, and the 6th day of the week would be after one day, and the 5th day of the week would be after zero day. And then there is still the 4th day of the week.

re: "Thursday night, Friday night, Sabbath night ... I just count three, how do you get four?"

The night times of the 5th, 6th, 7th and 1st days of the week.