73 Year Old Police Reservist Accidentally Shoots and Kills Suspect

resodko

BANNED
Banned
things eric harris could have done differently:

1. don't do illegal things (selling illegal automatic weapons)
Spoiler
doing illegal things is a really really good way to get the attention of the cops, who are paid to enforce the law - remember - cops are paid to look for people breaking the law

2. if the cops catch you doing illegal things, don't run
Spoiler
Running from the cops is guaranteed to make them chase you. As much fun as it may look, cops really really don't like to chase people. It gets their adrenaline levels up.

3. when the cops catch you, don't struggle
Spoiler
Struggling with the cops is always going to end badly for you. Don't do it. Remember that adrenaline thing from #2? That's called the flight or fight response. Once they're done chasing you, they're primed to beat you. Don't give them a reason.

too bad eric never learned these three simple rules :idunno:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/1...-charged-with-manslaughter-in-fatal-shooting/

I don't have a problem with his age, because he was supposed to be in a support position, not apprehending suspects. (I am 65 yrs. old.) When I apprehended someone trying to bust my door in at 2:00 am my addrenalin was fully engaged too. When I caught the first of two would be home invaders, both unarmed, with a Glock 27 in my hand, I didn't shoot and I'm not as trained as this man was supposed to be. I don't understand how he confused a handgun with a stun gun.

For the record, I let the two potential home invaders go with a stern warning from me and my Glock. My wife then called the police to let them know it was me who fired the shots, should the neighbors complain.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
While I shouldn't be surprised by what white guilt ridden liberals say and do, I guess I am because they're not the least bit bothered by criminals resisting arrest and attempting to take a law enforcement officer's service weapon away from him.

White guilt ridden liberals (you know who you are), come forward and explain why that is.

%7BACD6A3F6-0E09-4808-A53E-E8231A22C8B3%7DImg400.jpg

Christian Liberty

look up the legal definition of murder before you make a bigger fool of yourself

Legally abortion isn't murder either. You're a legal positivist scumbag.
things eric harris could have done differently:

1. don't do illegal things (selling illegal automatic weapons)
Spoiler
doing illegal things is a really really good way to get the attention of the cops, who are paid to enforce the law - remember - cops are paid to look for people breaking the law

2. if the cops catch you doing illegal things, don't run
Spoiler
Running from the cops is guaranteed to make them chase you. As much fun as it may look, cops really really don't like to chase people. It gets their adrenaline levels up.

3. when the cops catch you, don't struggle
Spoiler
Struggling with the cops is always going to end badly for you. Don't do it. Remember that adrenaline thing from #2? That's called the flight or fight response. Once they're done chasing you, they're primed to beat you. Don't give them a reason.

too bad eric never learned these three simple rules :idunno:

There's no Biblical basis for laws banning automatic weapons. This means that the police who tried to arrest him were attempting kidnapping, and this man had every right to use force, even lethal force if he felt it necessary, to avoid being thrown into a rape cage. But again, you are a legal positivist and so a scumbag.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

There's no Biblical basis for laws banning automatic weapons. This means that the police who tried to arrest him were attempting kidnapping, and this man had every right to use force, even lethal force if he felt it necessary, to avoid being thrown into a rape cage. But again, you are a legal positivist and so a scumbag.

i can't speak for everyone, however, we should be aware that most officers don't have time to be gentle, loving and understanding as a person is "threatening" or resisting. they generally want the honest truth in peace. innocent folks don't get abducted and thrown in "rape cages" - :patrol:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

:plain: Still playing the all cops are bad and arrest is the equivalent of kidnapping mantra ...

This Charming Manc

I think the issue is this would not be considered newsworthy if it wasn't for the other recent incidents.

It is obvious a very sad case, and a charge of criminal negligence seems like it needs to be answered, but it would not usually be national or international news.

Race has little to do with it being news worthy, the other previous cases make in newsworthy.

Is there any particular reason why you think it wouldn't have hit the news if the victim was Caucasian? You think it would have just been 'swept under the carpet' or something if the guy was white?

:idunno:

Mocking You

Story keeps getting worse. Now it turns out his 300 hours of training was a lie.

Reports that a volunteer Tulsa deputy sheriff who says he fatally shot a suspect by accident was certified with falsified training records is not true, the lawyer for Deputy Robert Bates said Thursday.

Corbin Brewster questions a report in the Tulsa World, citing multiple sources the newspaper did not name, saying sheriff's department supervisors had been ordered to give Bates credit for field training he never got and firearms certifications he never earned.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...0709313&PID=4003003&SID=i8kcc1qwub0026ec00dth

So he bought his training certificates along with his ability to ride along and "play cops".

Granite

Hall of Fame
This guy needs to be put away and heads need to roll. Allowing this nincompoop to play dress up is bad enough. Lying to enable him is outrageous.

rexlunae

:plain: This is where I'm at. The reserve program is a necessary and valuable asset to any LE organization but it has always been my understanding that they were for doing the more "pedestrian" jobs of law enforcement. Things like directing traffic, crowd control, writing tickets...etc...etc. To both augment and free up full time LEO's for assignments and more involved situations.

In this organization they are on the "Violent Crimes Task Force"...At 73 years of age? :AMR:

I heard on the news last night that there was evidence the police department had falsified his certification to carry the firearm he used. If true, he may be going to jail, but there should probably be a few people at least losing their jobs if not joining him for a stint.

I was kinda anticipating something like this.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Story keeps getting worse. Now it turns out his 300 hours of training was a lie.

Reports that a volunteer Tulsa deputy sheriff who says he fatally shot a suspect by accident was certified with falsified training records is not true, the lawyer for Deputy Robert Bates said Thursday.

Corbin Brewster questions a report in the Tulsa World, citing multiple sources the newspaper did not name, saying sheriff's department supervisors had been ordered to give Bates credit for field training he never got and firearms certifications he never earned.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...0709313&PID=4003003&SID=i8kcc1qwub0026ec00dth

So he bought his training certificates along with his ability to ride along and "play cops".

You misread that, its saying that a tulsa paper, said that, without citing any sources for that information, and that it isnt true that he didnt have training.

The USA today article is saying that wasnt true, not that it wasnt true that he had training.

"I think I have an idea of who these sources are and I would say they are disgruntled," Brewster told USA TODAY. Brewster added that, in addition to hundreds of hours of reserve deputy training, Bates served briefly as a Tulsa police officer decades ago and had completed police academy training.

Mocking You

You misread that, its saying that a tulsa paper, said that, without citing any sources for that information, and that it isnt true that he didnt have training.

You're misreading it. The paper cited MULTIPLE unnamed sources saying that he didn't receive training. Hopefully, you can understand why members of the police department don't want to be publicly identified as saying their department gave him false training certifications.

The USA today article is saying that wasnt true, not that it wasnt true that he had training.

No, the USA Today article is saying that Bates' lawyer is saying it's not true. So Bates' lawyer is saying he had training; mulitple unnamed sources in the Tulsa police department are saying he didn't have training.

The guy had some police training FIFTY YEARS AGO, when he was 23 years old.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
You're misreading it. The paper cited MULTIPLE unnamed sources saying that he didn't receive training. Hopefully, you can understand why members of the police department don't want to be publicly identified as saying their department gave him false training certifications.

False, the usa paper is pointing out that the tulsa paper made that claim without naming a source, you misread it, the usa paper is NOT claiming he had no training.

No, the USA Today article is saying that Bates' lawyer is saying it's not true. So Bates' lawyer is saying he had training; mulitple unnamed sources in the Tulsa police department are saying he didn't have training.

The guy had police training FIFTY YEARS AGO, when he was 23 years old.

yes, unnamed sources are making that claim. Good luck prosecuting someone without a witness. At least you admit you are basing what you think on unnamed sources, rather than those who are willing to be named.

Mocking You

Tulsa World reported that, according to sources, the Tulsa County Sheriff's Office had falsified "training records" including "firearms certifications." The newspaper also alleged that "supervisors were transferred after refusing to sign off."

Ziva Branstetter, an editor and reporter for Tulsa World, told ABC News she was "extremely confident" in the newspaper's sources and that the newspaper had worked on the story for two weeks.

"They're all very solid sources," she said today. "They're people who have been concerned about Deputy Bates and his lack of training for quite a while and came forward."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/reserve-de...-training-question-shooting/story?id=30378315

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Tulsa World reported that, according to sources, the Tulsa County Sheriff's Office had falsified "training records" including "firearms certifications." The newspaper also alleged that "supervisors were transferred after refusing to sign off."

Ziva Branstetter, an editor and reporter for Tulsa World, told ABC News she was "extremely confident" in the newspaper's sources and that the newspaper had worked on the story for two weeks.

"They're all very solid sources," she said today. "They're people who have been concerned about Deputy Bates and his lack of training for quite a while and came forward."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/reserve-de...-training-question-shooting/story?id=30378315

What tulsa world is saying is irrelevant to me correcting your misread of the usa today article you pointed to before.

I am still glad to know you believe unnamed sources.