73 Year Old Police Reservist Accidentally Shoots and Kills Suspect

Mocking You

Thought he pulled his Taser, not his gun...

And yes, it was a white on black shooting, again...
------
A 73-year-old reserve deputy who shot and killed a fleeing suspect Thursday during an undercover operation believed he was holding a Taser, not a gun, when the shooting occurred.

The reserve deputy who shot the man is Robert Charles Bates, a Tulsa insurance company executive who was working undercover Thursday as a member of the Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office Violent Crimes Task Force.

33o0jo3.jpg

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/crim...5-5b09-59d1-a791-ae543e4cfcd1.html?mode=story

Turns out he was chairman of the Re-elect the Sheriff campaign and donated $2,500 to the campaign. I guess that means he can ride along with the police, play "cops" and shoot people.

Mocking You

The Tulsa sheriff's department is not investigating the incident for the purposes of filing charges against Bates.

Tulsa Police Department homicide Sgt. Dave Walker said Friday that although the homicide took place in the city limits, TPD would not investigate the death unless the Sheriff’s Office asked them to.

“And they have not asked us to,” Walker said.

Mocking You

Robert Bates, the reserve Tulsa County deputy who fatally shot a man who was in a physical altercation with another deputy last week, has donated thousands of dollars worth of items to the Sheriff’s Office since becoming a reserve deputy in 2008.

Bates has donated multiple vehicles, guns and stun guns to the Sheriff’s Office since he became a reserve deputy in 2008, Clark said. The Sheriff’s Office did not have an itemized list of donations made by Bates available Monday and deferred that question to the county commissioners’ office, which tracks those items.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/newshomep...cle_3d1f3fe7-43cd-5fa1-9e8c-d8b3aefe2504.html

resodko

BANNED
Banned
so, another perp who thought it worth the risk of breaking the law, attempting to flee and assaulting a police officer

accident or not, it looks like he got what he deserved :idunno:

resodko

BANNED
Banned

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
It says accidental, at the very most its criminal negligence. Tell me op, what charge do you think is appropriate here?

Second, do you think it would have even hit the news, if he accidentally shot a white suspect?

Mocking You

It says accidental, at the very most its criminal negligence. Tell me op, what charge do you think is appropriate here?

Manslaughter.

[Edited to add: I see he has been charged with manslaughter.]

Second, do you think it would have even hit the news, if he accidentally shot a white suspect?

Yes, because of all the other circumstances.
  • Rent-a-cop was 73 years old
  • He ran the sheriff's reelection campaign
  • He donated thousands and thousands of dollars to the police department
  • He admitted he did the shooting

Look at the news headlines for this story. Read the stories. Race doesn't even enter into 95% of the stories.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...0.0.0.0.75.75.1.1.0...0.0...1ac.2.dQMppnKW8a8

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Manslaughter.

[Edited to add: I see he has been charged with manslaughter.]

Yes, because of all the other circumstances.
  • Rent-a-cop was 73 years old
  • He ran the sheriff's reelection campaign
  • He donated thousands and thousands of dollars to the police department
  • He admitted he did the shooting

Look at the news headlines for this story. Read the stories. Race doesn't even enter into 95% of the stories.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...0.0.0.0.75.75.1.1.0...0.0...1ac.2.dQMppnKW8a8

False, each story either reads like the first link:

Tulsa, Oklahoma reserve sheriff's deputy was charged with second-degree manslaughter Monday for the shooting death of an unarmed black man.
which is the first line in the first link.

The others clearly head their articles with a photo of the black man.

He was charged with second degree manslaughter (criminal negligence)

Christian Liberty

You morons are really saying "he deserved it" and questioning the "racism" narrative rather than dealing with the murder at hand. You guys are all scumbags.

Arthur Brain

Is there any particular reason why you think it wouldn't have hit the news if the victim was Caucasian? You think it would have just been 'swept under the carpet' or something if the guy was white?

:idunno:

rexlunae

It says accidental, at the very most its criminal negligence.

That's why he was charged with manslaughter, not murder. This case seems to be more tragedy than atrocity, but it's still potentially criminal. I'd like to know if the guy's fitness was evaluated as stringently as other non-reservists. It seems to me like the police department might potentially share quite a bit of the blame if they're letting volunteers run around armed enforcing the law without proper oversight.

No, not necessarily. Do you understand why that is?

Last edited:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
That's why he was charged with manslaughter, not murder. This case seems to be more tragedy than atrocity, but it's still potentially criminal. I'd like to know if the guy's fitness was evaluated as stringently as other non-reservists. It seems to me like the police department might potentially share quite a bit of the blame if they're letting volunteers run around armed enforcing the law without proper oversight.

:plain: This is where I'm at. The reserve program is a necessary and valuable asset to any LE organization but it has always been my understanding that they were for doing the more "pedestrian" jobs of law enforcement. Things like directing traffic, crowd control, writing tickets...etc...etc. To both augment and free up full time LEO's for assignments and more involved situations.

In this organization they are on the "Violent Crimes Task Force"...At 73 years of age? :AMR:

resodko

BANNED
Banned
"the shooting death of an unarmed black man"

worth pointing out that before he started running he was armed with an automatic pistol

no way for the cops to know whether he was still packing - tasing him on the ground was perfectly defensible

Granite

Hall of Fame
So old people with money to throw around can play cop and shoot people. Very comforting.

shagster01

worth pointing out that before he started running he was armed with an automatic pistol

no way for the cops to know whether he was still packing - tasing him on the ground was perfectly defensible

He obviously felt comfortable enough with the situation to "think" he was only going to tase him. :idunno:

shagster01

This guy probably got charged correctly, but the Sherriff's office should be sued for having improperly trained election officials acting as cops too.

He is supposed to investigate violent crime and he can't tell a taser from a gun?