Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
This opens up a much larger can of worms as to what Solomon did, in respect to what He built physically and spiritually...

When Solomon was in relations with spirits of the brazen vessel was He blind to the God of His fathers?
What does the Scripture say?

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
I don't know. How would you answer the above question yourself?

That's rather non-committal.

Solomon sacrificed to idols. Even if he didn't really believe in those
idols, that's still huge scandal.

OK, point for you; and its a good one. I would ask though, what is the difference between him and the many good/bad kings of Judah and Israel except for magnitude?

That encouraged his whole kingdom
to sin, either literally through worshiping and believing in idols
themselves, or spiritually through the weakening of their faith;
because their own king-brother---

Another good point for your side. Not a good role model; nevertheless, what the people would mostly focus on is him building the temple for which he was specifically chosen by God Himself.

Solomon of course being of
Abraham, Isaac and Jacob's family---or brother-king, knew a
thousand different women from all over the known world, and
continuously sacrificed to their idols.

I believe Solomon wrote Ecclesiastes, or at least was responsible for its origin. Had he not exhausted all possible avenues of human fulfillment he would not have been able to declare them all 'vanity'.

He was a terrible man, and he was the first potential
Messiah, son of David. A huge failure. As I said, he wrecked the
kingdom his father had spent the previous 40 years building, in just
another 40 years; he failed in succession planning.

I think you are perhaps judging him more by your standard than God's. Consider 2 Sam 12:24KJV, 1 Kings 2:45KJV, 1 Kings 3:3KJV, Neh 13:26KJV. It may only be true that God 'loved' Solomon because he was David's son, but that is still sufficient to expect to see him in heaven, don't you think?

His name happens to come up in a discussion of 666. I don't think
it's a coincidence.[/spoiler]

I have difficulty accepting that God would choose an individual who has ultimate ties with His arch-enemy Satan as one of the authors of His Word (Prov 1:1KJV) They were 'holy men of God' who 'spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.'

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
the sea of marmara was like a sheet of glass

greek fire gave the christians of constantinople a victory over islam

the year was 666

Revelation 15:2
King James Version (KJV)
2And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire: and them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
This is from the Greek Old Testament:
Spoiler

Because of [DAVID'S] merits he had as his successor a wise son, who lived in security: SOLOMON reigned during an era of peace, for God made tranquil all his borders. He built a house to the name of God, and established a lasting sanctuary.

How wise you were when you were young, overflowing with instruction, like the Nile in flood! Your understanding covered the whole earth, and, like a sea, filled it with knowledge. Your fame reached distant coasts, and their peoples came to hear you; With song and story and riddle, and with your answers, you astounded the nations. You were called by that glorious name which was conferred upon Israel. Gold you gathered like so much iron, you heaped up silver as though it were lead.

But you abandoned yourself to women and gave them dominion over your body. You brought dishonor upon your reputation, shame upon your marriage, Wrath upon your descendants, and groaning upon your domain; Thus two governments came into being, when in Ephraim kingship was usurped.

But God does not withdraw his mercy, nor permit even one of his promises to fail. He does not uproot the posterity of his chosen one, nor destroy the offspring of his friend. So he gave to Jacob a remnant, to David a root from his own family.

Solomon finally slept with his fathers, and left behind him one of his sons, Expansive in folly, limited in sense, REHOBOAM, who by his policy made the people rebel; Until one arose who should not be remembered, the sinner who led Israel into sin, Who brought ruin to Ephraim and caused them to be exiled from their land. Their sinfulness grew more and more, and they lent themselves to every evil, till like a fire there appeared [ELIJAH] whose words were as a flaming furnace.

Sirach 47:12-48:1​
I emphasized succession because I believe that Christ most clearly distinguished his earthly ministry/reign from Solomon's in his apostles, who have provided an unending succession of bishops that persists to this day.

fzappa13

This is from the Greek Old Testament:
Spoiler

Because of [DAVID'S] merits he had as his successor a wise son, who lived in security: SOLOMON reigned during an era of peace, for God made tranquil all his borders. He built a house to the name of God, and established a lasting sanctuary.

How wise you were when you were young, overflowing with instruction, like the Nile in flood! Your understanding covered the whole earth, and, like a sea, filled it with knowledge. Your fame reached distant coasts, and their peoples came to hear you; With song and story and riddle, and with your answers, you astounded the nations. You were called by that glorious name which was conferred upon Israel. Gold you gathered like so much iron, you heaped up silver as though it were lead.

But you abandoned yourself to women and gave them dominion over your body. You brought dishonor upon your reputation, shame upon your marriage, Wrath upon your descendants, and groaning upon your domain; Thus two governments came into being, when in Ephraim kingship was usurped.

But God does not withdraw his mercy, nor permit even one of his promises to fail. He does not uproot the posterity of his chosen one, nor destroy the offspring of his friend. So he gave to Jacob a remnant, to David a root from his own family.

Solomon finally slept with his fathers, and left behind him one of his sons, Expansive in folly, limited in sense, REHOBOAM, who by his policy made the people rebel; Until one arose who should not be remembered, the sinner who led Israel into sin, Who brought ruin to Ephraim and caused them to be exiled from their land. Their sinfulness grew more and more, and they lent themselves to every evil, till like a fire there appeared [ELIJAH] whose words were as a flaming furnace.

Sirach 47:12-48:1​
I emphasized succession because I believe that Christ most clearly distinguished his earthly ministry/reign from Solomon's in his apostles, who have provided an unending succession of bishops that persists to this day.

What scriptures have you read that lead you to believe this?

False Prophet

It is difficult to date Biblical passages.
The Edict of Cyrus the Great is an edict authorizing and encouraging the Jews exiled by Nebuchadnezzar to relocate to the land of Israel and actively engage in rebuilding the temple destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar.

The edict is thrice mentioned in the Bible, each with minor textual variations and additions.
The Cyrus edict that freed the Jews to return to Jerusalem after the seventy year exile is what Daniel 9:2 is about.
Cyrus II of Persia (Old Persian: KUURUUSHA[6] Kūruš; New Persian: کوروش بزرگ ; c. 600 or 576 – 530 BC[7]), commonly known as Cyrus the Great [8] and also known as Cyrus the Elder, was the founder of the Achaemenid Empire. This is the window of the date of the Cyrus edict.
666 BC is out of the Question!

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
It has to have something to do with King Solomon.

1st Kings 10:14 2nd Chronicles 9:13

What is the tie-in?

yearly?

2 Chronicles 9:13 New International Version (NIV)

Solomon’s Splendor
13 The weight of the gold that Solomon received yearly was 666 talents

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
yearly?

2 Chronicles 9:13 New International Version (NIV)

Solomon’s Splendor
13 The weight of the gold that Solomon received yearly was 666 talents
Revelation 13:18 reads: "Wisdom is needed here; one who understands can calculate the number of the beast, for it is a number that stands for a person. His number is six hundred and sixty-six."

As you've indicated, Scripture records this number in two other places, parallel passages, and both times the person associated with the number is King Solomon, the son of David, the third king of the united kingdom of Israel.

The reason I even began participating in the thread was because of this scriptural connection, or coincidence. I don't believe it's a coincidence, but I'm not sure what the connection is.

Is this beast Solomon himself? Or perhaps Solomon's MO or philosophy? Or perhaps this beast will be a reincarnated Solomon, like how John the Baptist was in a way a reincarnated Elijah? I don't know. :idunno: I just want to make sure that we're looking at this connection/coincidence, and that we explain it, because it's right there in black and white, begging for us to do so.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Revelation 13:18 reads: "Wisdom is needed here; one who understands can calculate the number of the beast, for it is a number that stands for a person. His number is six hundred and sixty-six."

As you've indicated, Scripture records this number in two other places, parallel passages, and both times the person associated with the number is King Solomon, the son of David, the third king of the united kingdom of Israel.

The reason I even began participating in the thread was because of this scriptural connection, or coincidence. I don't believe it's a coincidence, but I'm not sure what the connection is.

Is this beast Solomon himself? Or perhaps Solomon's MO or philosophy? Or perhaps this beast will be a reincarnated Solomon, like how John the Baptist was in a way a reincarnated Elijah? I don't know. :idunno: I just want to make sure that we're looking at this connection/coincidence, and that we explain it, because it's right there in black and white, begging for us to do so.

I see three key words here
wisdom, calculate, and yearly
I have shown you my calculations
now
show me yours

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Is this beast Solomon himself? .

no
not even close
we are not looking for a beast here
we are looking for a man
who
may be responsible for the beast

the horses,
the riders,
the beasts,
the whore,
are
not to be confused

fzappa13

Beloved Chrys,

The ten horns are the traditional enemies of Jerusalem which is the Harlot of Revelation as it plainly states. They will enter into a peace treaty with her and when they do then you can then set your eschatological alarm clock. When the treaty is abrogated they will burn her with fire and Jesus is 3 1/2 years away from His return. God has said that is where He will put His throne and that is what has made it the bulls-eye of Satan's target. It's what the fuss is all about.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Beloved Chrys,

The ten horns are the traditional enemies of Jerusalem which is the Harlot of Revelation as it plainly states.

as it plainly states?

all the different interpretations suggest that it is not plainly stated
your post is not plainly stated
all you can do is try to get all the pieces to fit
can you do that?

beloved57

666 is mans religion, salvation conditioned on something man does, it is stamped on the forehead to denote that it is ingrained in our thinking and in our right hand to denote our actions shall reflect our thinking !

Posted from the TOL App!

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
you get 'yearly was 666 talents'
if
you search the bible for 666

you get 'number of years'
if
you search daniel for the word number

The oldest dating systems were in regnal years

before the gregorian calendar, which started in 1582, there was the julian calendar, which started in 45 bc

the hijra was in 622 or 667 of the julian calendar
the islamic calendar starts that year

you get exactly 666
if
you factor in the year julius caesar was assassinated 44 bc

from gibbon we get
"Forty-six years after the flight of Mahomet from Mecca, his disciples appeared in arms under the walls of Constantinople"

you get exactly 666
using
the islamic calendar calculator

Revelation 15:2King James Version (KJV)

2 And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire: and them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God.

they used greek fire to defeat them in the year 666
and
the sea of marmara on a calm day is like a sheet of glass

glides across the Sea of Marmara, like a sheet of glass

Last edited:

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dear chrysostom,

You are wrong to peddle the misinformation about the number 666. I was told by an angel that it was the number of the antichrist, like the number of a captain's army, or the followers of a leader, etc. I'm not going into it much here. See my book online at: jesusreturningverysoon.com

It's FREE!! You just go there and click on 'Book Copy', then click on SKU-text.pdf. You can read my book there with the up and down arrow cursor keys.

Friends Still, I Hope,

Michael

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
That's rather non-committal.

OK, point for you; and its a good one. I would ask though, what is the difference between him and the many good/bad kings of Judah and Israel except for magnitude?

Another good point for your side. Not a good role model; nevertheless, what the people would mostly focus on is him building the temple for which he was specifically chosen by God Himself.

I believe Solomon wrote Ecclesiastes, or at least was responsible for its origin. Had he not exhausted all possible avenues of human fulfillment he would not have been able to declare them all 'vanity'.

I think you are perhaps judging him more by your standard than God's. Consider 2 Sam 12:24KJV, 1 Kings 2:45KJV, 1 Kings 3:3KJV, Neh 13:26KJV. It may only be true that God 'loved' Solomon because he was David's son, but that is still sufficient to expect to see him in heaven, don't you think?

I have difficulty accepting that God would choose an individual who has ultimate ties with His arch-enemy Satan as one of the authors of His Word (Prov 1:1KJV) They were 'holy men of God' who 'spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.'
Remember what Jeroboam said to Rehoboam, Solomon's son and successor? Talkin' about Solomon now; Jeroboam says to him, "Thy father made our yoke grievous: now therefore make thou the grievous service of thy father, and his heavy yoke which he put upon us, lighter, and we will serve thee." 1st Kings 12:4, cf. Matthew 11:28-30