chrysostom

Hall of Fame

if you search daniel for the word number, you get this

Daniel 9:2 In the first year of his reign I Daniel understood by books the number of the years, whereof the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah the prophet, that he would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem.

that is why I started thinking it was a year

very few history books have anything happening that year
but
some have islam attacking shortly thereafter
and
gibbon gets closer than any of them
he also points out the problem others have with the dates

“In this inquiry I shall unfold the events that rescued our ancestors of Britain, and our neighbours of Gaul, from the civil and religious yoke of the Koran; that protected the majesty of Rome, and delayed the servitude of Constantinople; that invigorated the defence of the Christians, and scattered among their enemies the seeds of division and decay.”

The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon

I will always remember the first time I read this. It was early on in my research of the Apocalypse, Islam, and the Byzantine Empire and I was not sure where this was leading me but at that moment in time a historian of the eighteenth century told me I was on the right track.

Gibbon's footnote on the date is very interesting. His date 668 is at least five years earlier than most historians and I think he is still two years off

it's the year 666

back to
the apocalypse

Last edited:

Daniel1611

I don't believe the 666 is a year because the Bible says that 666 is the number of the name of the Beast. And I also don't think Islam is going to have any special significance in end times other than that it will be an evil ideology responsible for evil just like communist, fascism, the "war on terror" and all the other evil ideologies. I don't think Islam in and of itself has any significance. It's just a general evil and false religion like all false religions. And in the end times, all the world religions will be abandoned for the religion that worships the Anti-Christ, except for people that hold to faith in Jesus. In the end times there will be 2 groups, those that believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and those that worship the Anti-Christ. Islam won't really even be a religion any more once the end times are in full swing.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I don't believe the 666 is a year because the Bible says that 666 is the number of the name of the Beast. And I also don't think Islam is going to have any special significance in end times other than that it will be an evil ideology responsible for evil just like communist, fascism, the "war on terror" and all the other evil ideologies. I don't think Islam in and of itself has any significance. It's just a general evil and false religion like all false religions. And in the end times, all the world religions will be abandoned for the religion that worships the Anti-Christ, except for people that hold to faith in Jesus. In the end times there will be 2 groups, those that believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and those that worship the Anti-Christ. Islam won't really even be a religion any more once the end times are in full swing.

the two greatest threats to christianity are islam and communism

what else is there?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
some translation would have you count or calculate the number 666

Revelation 13:18 (ESV) | In Context | Whole Chapter

18 This calls for wisdom: let the one who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, and his number is 666.

which once again brings us to gibbon who says

"Forty-six years after the flight of Mahomet from Mecca, his disciples appeared in arms under the walls of Constantinople"

from chapter 52

now all you need is an islamic calendar calculator

now all you have to do is plug in 46 which we got from gibbon
and
you will get 666

I think gibbon knew that

another way to calculate this year

Last edited:

Lon

Rev 13:16 Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead,
Rev 13:17 so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name.
Rev 14:9 And another angel, a third, followed them, saying with a loud voice, "If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand,
Rev 14:10 he also will drink the wine of God's wrath, poured full strength into the cup of his anger, and he will be tormented with fire and sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb.

Question: Where else is there a binding on the forehead or hand? see v8

Deu 6:4 "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.
Deu 6:5 You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
Deu 6:6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart.
Deu 6:7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
Deu 6:8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.
Deu 6:9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

The Jews, even today, literally bind these on their right hand and forehead:
Spoiler
V10p024001.jpg

Phylacteries.jpg

Eschatology has never been my strong suit (take it as such) but the jews misread Deuteronomy to think this was a physical binding they needed to do, even up to today as shown in the spoiler. Not that a good reminder is a bad idea, but I believe Deuteronomy is talking about the way they were/are to think and the way they were/are to act: That His scriptures need to be in thier thoughts and actions.

Similarly then, (again eschatology is not my strong suit) I believe the mark could also be about what we think and do that would have us denying Christ as our Lord and Savior. How that would account for buying or selling I do not know so I see potential flaws here.

The theme is carried here: Matthew 22:37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.

Again, eschatoly - end times prophecy is not my strong suit. I had a half of a year 3 hour class on this, and did well, but I have never had strong confidence in trying to ascertain prophetic pictures and types. The ones that are tied to Daniel Joel, and Ezekiel are somewhat clear for me.

-Lon

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
It has to have something to do with King Solomon.

1st Kings 10:14 2nd Chronicles 9:13

What is the tie-in?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
sooner or later you need the overall picture
and
the ability to make all the pieces fit

until then
you don't know what you have

Daniel1611

what else is there?

The Anti-Christ and the New Age movement. Just briefly this is what I think:

In the end times, there will be a one world religion where most of the people on earth will worship the anti-Christ as a god. The only ones that won't will be those who hold to their faith in Jesus and will be persecuted by the world. So the Bible doesn't say the people will just people forced to pay lip service to the beast. It says people will worship him and say "Who is like unto the Beast." It says he will deceive the world with signs and lying wonders. It says God will send them strong delusion so that they will believe a lie. So basically, he is going to have a trick up his sleeve so amazing that he is going to fool nearly everyone on the planet into believing he is god or a god. So that means Muslims will worship him, same with Buddhists, Hindus and every religion and even atheists will worship him, except those that keep faith in Jesus. So the antichrist is going to have some incredible power or incredible signs to fool the world.

So I think that all these religions and ideologies are going to be non existent in the end times. There will be one religion/political ideology that is centered on the antichrist, worship of him as God (big "G") and the same lie the serpent told Eve, that we are all gods and that there is no death. We see the New Age movement basically teaching this. We see evolutionists teaching this. We see the Maitreya movement that even the UN is quietly supporting. So when the Antichrist comes with his signs and lying wonders, he wil set up THE threat to Christianity. His one religion/political/economic system. But the good news is that he will be defeated in the end.

AND, if you never have, read "The Omega Conspiracy" by Dr. I.D.E. Thomas. I believe his theory is very likely and makes much more sense than a lot of popular end times theories. Its extremely bizarre but there is scriptural, apocryphal and even modern evidence (not proof) but evidence to give credence to this idea. Guys like Chuck Missler and LA Marzulli have kinda picked up on Dr. Thomas' work, and I think it is incredibly interesting. And being that we know that angels and demons are real, it is entirely possible that "The Omega Conspiracy" is mostly an accurate hypothesis.

Here's a clip of Dr. Thomas explaining briefly his hypothesis. It's from a fantastic documentary call UFO Conspiracy that shows the UFO phenomenon from a Christian prophetic perspective. Please watch this clip atleast. Its only a couple minutes long. Its good food for thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1_BmEJ39DM

http://youtu.be/H1_BmEJ39DM

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
the future can be whatever you want it to be
as long as you are able to ignore the past
how can you ignore history?
when so much of it fits so well

RevTestament

what else is there?

the
v = 5
i = 1
c = 100
a = 0
r = 0
i = 1
u = 5
s = 0

f
i = 1
l = 50
i = 1
i = 1

D = 500
e = 0
i = 1

name used for bishop in the Donation of Constantine which the church accepted until they ruled it a fake.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Mat 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
Mat 6:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
Mat 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Mat 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.
Mat 6:23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!
Mat 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
Mat 6:25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
Mat 6:26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
Mat 6:27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
Mat 6:28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
Mat 6:29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
Mat 6:30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
Mat 6:31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
Mat 6:32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
Mat 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Mat 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Rev 3:14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
Rev 3:15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
Rev 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
Rev 3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
Rev 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
Rev 3:22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

Selaphiel

You still going on about this? If you have to twist historical dates to make it, that is probably a good reason to reconsider your interpretation. You can make just about anything fit numerologically with 666 if you have the entire span of history at your disposal.

How does your historical date fit with the fact that early manuscripts of Revelation have the number 616 instead of 666? That completely shatters your interpretation of Revelation as being about Islam being the beast. Not to mention that it is an anachronistic reading of Judeo-Christian apocalyptic texts, they generally are not about some far off future. The writer of Revelation says that those who have understanding will understand it, with futuristic interpretation, such a thing would be impossible for the first several hundred years of interpretation.

Revelation makes sense when you read it historically, as an apocalyptic perspective on early persecutions on Christians by the Roman empire.
666 most likely refers to Nero caesar (Neron kaiser,נרונ קסר=666). That is reinforced by the fact that 616 is numerological code for an alternate spelling of Nero caesar (Nero kaiser, 616=נרו קסר). The Hebrew letter nun being the difference, which has the value of 50. Now this would have made sense to contemporary readers of the work. It also refers to the beast coming back from a mortal wound (Revelation 13:3), which is a reference to a popular contemporary belief, namely the legend of Nero's return.

Chrysostom said:
the future can be whatever you want it to be
as long as you are able to ignore the past
how can you ignore history?
when so much of it fits so well

History is packed with people who thought the exact same thing when presenting their futuristic interpretation of Revelation, they were all wrong. The historical reading makes sense of the imagery in the book, it also makes sure that the work would have been understandable to John's actual audience, it is also consistent with the genre of the book. Jewish apocalyptic literature was not about some distant future, that is an anachronistic reading of the genre.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
In the end times, there will be a one world religion where most of the people on earth will worship the anti-Christ as a god. The only ones that won't will be those who hold to their faith in Jesus and will be persecuted by the world. So the Bible doesn't say the people will just people forced to pay lip service to the beast. It says people will worship him and say "Who is like unto the Beast." It says he will deceive the world with signs and lying wonders. It says God will send them strong delusion so that they will believe a lie. So basically, he is going to have a trick up his sleeve so amazing that he is going to fool nearly everyone on the planet into believing he is god or a god. So that means Muslims will worship him, same with Buddhists, Hindus and every religion and even atheists will worship him, except those that keep faith in Jesus. So the antichrist is going to have some incredible power or incredible signs to fool the world.

With respect to those with different futurist opinions, there is one common denominator to them all that I have trouble with.

If all of the above is accurate, Jesus cannot come back tomorrow.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
It has to have something to do with King Solomon.

1st Kings 10:14 2nd Chronicles 9:13

What is the tie-in?
Let me bolster my comment.

It is impossible that 666 has nothing to do with King Solomon. 1st Kings 10:14 2nd Chronicles 9:13

Now, what is it? 666 appears three times in the Bible. Twice, it's Solomon's number. Whose number is it in Relevation?

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
Let me bolster my comment.

It is impossible that 666 has nothing to do with King Solomon. 1st Kings 10:14 2nd Chronicles 9:13

Now, what is it? 666 appears three times in the Bible. Twice, it's Solomon's number. Whose number is it in Relevation?

Here is your mistake: "Twice, it's Solomon's number."

The number is of the gold.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Here is your mistake: "Twice, it's Solomon's number."

The number is of the gold.
I don't really understand the reason you posted this. Obviously 666 in 1st Kings 10:14 and 2nd Chronicles 9:13 is a quantity of gold. King Solomon's gold. Revelation reads "the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six." And your point is, "666 can't have anything to do whatsoever with King Solomon because in 1st Kings 10:14 and 2nd Chronicles 9:13, 'The number is of the gold?'"

I'm just saying, let's not ignore the obvious. I didn't think it would meet with much resistance but it's not the last time I'll be wrong about something.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
I don't really understand the reason you posted this. Obviously 666 in 1st Kings 10:14 and 2nd Chronicles 9:13 is a quantity of gold. King Solomon's gold. Revelation reads "the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six." And your point is, "666 can't have anything to do whatsoever with King Solomon because in 1st Kings 10:14 and 2nd Chronicles 9:13, 'The number is of the gold?'"

I'm just saying, let's not ignore the obvious. I didn't think it would meet with much resistance but it's not the last time I'll be wrong about something.

Please don't think I am "resisting" as much as offering an observation. I should not have stated it so emphatically. You are using the first and most important rule of interpretation: Compare Scripture with Scripture. Most do not.

I am merely pointing out that, as Kings and Chronicles are historical narrative, if we read it as the simple sentence it is meant to be, and in context, 666 modifies the word 'gold' not 'Solomon'.

Grammatically, Solomon is farther away, in the essence of the sentence, than is the gold, from 666. It would seem to me that gold should be the number 1 suspect here, if at all. If you have a reason to disregard this, say on.

Also, Kings and Chronicles are actually recording the same history, much the same as the 4 gospels give the same basic history. This would mean that both references together should be considered as descriptions of one and not two separate records. This reduces your original idea from 2 refs. in the OT to (qualitatively) 1, the same quantity as in the NT.

I just don't think it is as obvious as you do, but; :carryon: