58 Dead, 500 Plus Wounded

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I wasn't being literal. I was being corrective.
You weren't being corrective. You were being wrong.

Try to respond to what people say, not what you want them to say.

Right. That's what studies indicated. That when firearm related violence went out the window there wasn't an uptick in, say, spoon related violence.
But you didn't provide any statistics saying that.

Homicides by firearm plunged 59 percent between 1995 and 2006, with no corresponding increase in non-firearm-related homicides.

Did you get fooled by them putting in those throw-away lines about overall crime and suicide?

In the decade before the Port Arthur massacre, there had been 11 mass shootings in the country. There hasn’t been a single one in Australia since.

If you ignore the Monash University shooting. There have been two more shooting incidents since their 10-year limit. Not to mention the arson attacks, stabbings and rammings.

The number of homicide incidents involving a firearm decreased by 57 percent between 1989-90 and 2013-14.

When the guns are removed, gun-related incidents drop. In other news, grass is green.

Cutting a thing in half in general while eliminating for over 20 years what had occurred many times prior seems like a win for safety of citizens.
Only if you pick and choose statistics that uphold your narrative.

Keeping them from being massacred by gunmen as ours were in Las Vegas and numerous other places.
No, they got burned alive instead. :plain:

And that is called the genetic fallacy. These incidents actually occurred, you know?

It's not MY narrative.
Sure, it is. You're pushing the notion that more regulations will help. It's been shown that you're picking statistics that uphold that narrative.

It's the objective, observable, empirical narrative. Which is why you're doing nothing to discredit it beyond the declarative.

WizardofOz

No.

The point was that comparing statistics across states requires analysis of the demographics.

Why TH would describe this as "attitudinal" is beyond me.

Follow the posts. TH brought up tougher "state law" in NY and when pressed Yorzhik references "self regulation" in regard to his claim that "high crime areas in Alabama and Mississippi have more restrictions" as if that is what was being discussed or disputed.

Self regulation =/= state law or restriction

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Follow the posts. TH brought up tougher "state law" in NY and when pressed Yorzhik references "self regulation" in regard to his claim that "high crime areas in Alabama and Mississippi have more restrictions" as if that is what was being discussed or disputed. Self regulation =/= state law or restriction

I did. I commented on what I think Y meant.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You weren't being corrective. You were being wrong.
You argue like someone who wasn't taught how. :plain:

Try to respond to what people say, not what you want them to say.
There's no way you typed that with a straight face.

But you didn't provide any statistics saying that.
Untrue.

Homicides by firearm plunged 59 percent between 1995 and 2006, with no corresponding increase in non-firearm-related homicides.

They're not throw away lines. That's just you fighting data with bluster. It's sort of your shtick.

Did you get fooled by them putting in those throw-away lines about overall crime and suicide?
Supra.

In the decade before the Port Arthur massacre, there had been 11 mass shootings in the country. There hasn’t been a single one in Australia since.

Correct.

If you ignore the Monash University shooting.
Where two people died. Five were wounded. If you want that to constitute a mass shooting you're going to litter the American landscape with red pins and we'll only look worse for it.

There have been two more shooting incidents since their 10-year limit. Not to mention the arson attacks, stabbings and rammings.
It's not a limit, except of the studies noted. I also noted a more recent look by Factcheck from this year. And the actual topic is gun violence, not stabbings and rammings, etc., though the Australian experiment had some interesting data on transfer, as I noted.

The number of homicide incidents involving a firearm decreased by 57 percent between 1989-90 and 2013-14.

When the guns are removed, gun-related incidents drop. In other news, grass is green.
Where you ban certain types of guns you get dramatic results improving public safety.

No, they got burned alive instead. :plain:
Who? Where?

And that is called the genetic fallacy. These incidents actually occurred, you know?
Nah. You use this or that fallacy label like some restaurants use garnish, but you never sustain the complaints with reason. So it's an empty can you're kicking, and not mine. :eek:

What I actually did was note that Wiki isn't authority, though it can link to authority. You didn't supply more than an impression wrapped in the absence of authority. But by all means publish the link and/or authority you're actually resting on.

Sure, it is. You're pushing the notion that more regulations will help.
It's not some "notion" but a fact driven reality evidenced by every other Western democracy with universal and serious gun laws.

It's been shown that you're picking statistics that uphold that narrative.
No, but you've declared the heck out of it, which appears to be close enough for you.

It's the objective, observable, empirical narrative. Which is why you're doing nothing to discredit it beyond the declarative.
That's what I said alright. :thumb:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You argue like someone who wasn't taught how.

They're not throw away lines.
Sure, they are.

"Violent crime and gun-related deaths did not come to an end in Australia, of course."

They wanted to pretend they'd said something profound about violent crime, but nothing in the statistics.

Then they wanted to say something about suicide:

"The drop in suicides by gun was even steeper: 65 percent."

Fewer guns... Green grass.

And as for Factcheck picking its favorite numbers:

The previous low in 2007 was surpassed in 2010, when the number of homicides dropped to 261. The numbers have varied since then, but there were 23 percent fewer homicides in 2013 than there were in 1996 — a slight improvement from our last report, which covered a 12-year period ending in 2007.

The homicide rate there has been at or about these rates forever.

You're just fighting data with bluster. It's sort of your shtick.

Where two people died. Five were wounded. If you want that to constitute a mass shooting you're going to litter the American landscape with red pins and we'll only look worse for it.
Seven people shot. That's a major incident, sonshine.

It's not a limit, except of the studies noted. I also noted a more recent look by Factcheck from this year. And the actual topic is gun violence, not stabbings and rammings, etc.
Then stop making declarations about all crime.

The Australian experiment had some interesting data on transfer.
No, it doesn't. There are no numbers there. You got fooled by the throw-away lines.

Where you ban certain types of guns you get dramatic results improving public safety.
You've yet to show us these "dramatic results."

So far, you've given us a lot of numbers on gun-related shootings. When you reduce the number of guns, you get fewer of those.

Who? Where?
This is what happens when you ignore things you do not like.

You use this or that fallacy label like some restaurants use garnish, but you never sustain the complaints with reason.
When you dismiss the veracity of an idea because of its source, that's the genetic fallacy.

Reason.

It's not some "notion" but a fact driven reality evidenced by every other Western democracy with universal and serious gun laws.
Nope. Narrative.

Facts are things we should be agreeing on.

From your abstract:

In 1997, Australia implemented a gun buyback program that reduced the stock of firearms by around one-fifth (and nearly halved the number of gun-owning households). Using differences across states, we test whether the reduction in firearms availability affected homicide and suicide rates. We find that the buyback led to a drop in the firearm suicide rates of almost 80%, with no significant effect on non-firearm death rates. The effect on firearm homicides is of similar magnitude but is less precise. The results are robust to a variety of specification checks and to instrumenting the state-level buyback rate.

This indicates that there should be a downturn in the homicide rate. Where is that?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Fewer guns... Green grass.
Or if you eliminate the most dangerous guns in terms of mass shootings, along with things like large clips, you reduce the level of firearm deaths significantly, which is rather the point.

You're just fighting data with bluster. It's sort of your shtick.
You should take up stenography...I mean for a living, not just here and there with me.

Seven people shot. That's a major incident, sonshine.
Two people killed and five shot. If that's what qualifies as a mass shooting then you have the problem I noted prior. It's tragic and it can be impacted by reasonable and universal gun law, but it's a lesser included.

This is what happens when you ignore things you do not like.
No, it's what happens when you make a statement without anything to give it context.

When you dismiss the veracity of an idea because of its source, that's the genetic fallacy.
The line you chose to focus on mocked an uncited authority wrapped generally in the term Wiki, which may contain authority from a reliable source but isn't inherently anything of the sort, given that anyone can literally write anything they want in one. I then invited you to cite to the source you didn't note from the Wiki you did. You still haven't. Making a claim without being willing to cite to what you're purporting but haven't produced isn't substantive. It's the appearance of substance.

Facts are things we should be agreeing on.
Facts don't require it. The fact is that every other Western democracy has stronger gun laws and dramatically lower numbers of homicides. I provided those numbers prior and I'm still not going to go back and do your leg work for you. But when you say I haven't you're not relating the truth.

This indicates that there should be a downturn in the homicide rate. Where is that?
Here's a link to one paper dealing directly with the statistics for anyone who's actually interested. It's about 57 pages including heavy citation for data used in the paper.

Do Gun Buybacks Save Lives? Evidence from Panel Data

IZA Discussion Paper No. 4995

57 Pages Posted: 29 Jun 2010
Andrew Leigh

Australian National University - Economics Program, Research School of Social Sciences
Christine Neill

Wilfrid Laurier University

Excerpts follow:

3.1 Trends in Australian suicides and homicides

In the decade following the NFA, there has been a substantial drop in firearm deaths inAustralia (Figures 1a and 1b). Firearm suicides have dropped from 2.2 per 100,000 people in 1995to 0.8 per 100,000 in 2006. Firearm homicides have dropped from 0.37 per 100,000 people in 1995to 0.15 per 100,000 people in 2006. These are drops of 65 per cent and 59 per cent respectively,and among a population of 20 million individuals, represent a decline in the number of deaths byfirearm suicide of about 300 and in the number of deaths by firearm homicide of about 40 per year.At the same time, the non-firearm suicide rate has fallen by 27 per cent, and the non-firearmhomicide rate by 59 per cent.7

...twofindings mitigate against the notion of substantial method substitution. First, non-firearm suicidesand homicides fell substantially on aggregate in Australia in the period 1997-2006. Secondly, theestimated time pattern of the response of non-firearm deaths (suicides in particular) is not what wewould expect to see in the case of method substitution. It is also inconsistent with suggestions,based on time series analysis, that the uptick in non-firearm suicides in the period 1997-2000 couldhave been a consequence of the buyback. Our results show, by contrast, that that jump occurredprimarily in the states where the fewest guns were handed in, and where the gun buyback wouldhave been expected to have the least effect.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:confused: :liberals:

"Self restriction" counts as state restriction?
No. It means that the number of guns isn't the problem. Low gun ownership rates are in the highest crime areas.

Don't look at states as a whole. We have data far better than that.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Or if you eliminate the most dangerous guns in terms of mass shootings, along with things like large clips, you reduce the level of firearm deaths significantly, which is rather the point.
If you reduce the number of guns, fewer will be available to use.

In other news, water is wet.

Two people killed and five shot. If that's what qualifies as a mass shooting then you have the problem I noted prior. It's tragic and it can be impacted by reasonable and universal gun law, but it's a lesser included.
At no stage has a standard been set in this discussion. There's no way you can conclude anything about how including this as a mass shooting would change the way we evaluate things in the US.

You're just making things up to suit your narrative.

No, it's what happens when you make a statement without anything to give it context.
The link is right there, sonny.

You have no idea what the conversation is about because you ignored it. Then you expect us to wade through 57 pages of your choosing.

The line you chose to focus on mocked an uncited authority wrapped generally in the term Wiki, which may contain authority from a reliable source but isn't inherently anything of the sort, given that anyone can literally write anything they want in one. I then invited you to cite to the source you didn't note from the Wiki you did. You still haven't. Making a claim without being willing to cite to what you're purporting but haven't produced isn't substantive. It's the appearance of substance.
It is a list of mass killings in Australia.

We're sorry you don't like it, but to dismiss it in a rational sense you have to do better than showing where it came from.

That is the genetic fallacy. And reason.

Facts don't require it.
To engage sensibly, facts do indeed require both parties to agree on them. When you declare a fact and your opponent disagrees, that is time to establish what we do agree on in order to determine who is correct.

You prefer to declare your opinion as fact and only ever proceed from there.

The fact is that every other Western democracy has stronger gun laws and dramatically lower numbers of homicides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE

In the decade following the NFA, there has been a substantial drop in firearm deaths in Australia... Firearm homicides have dropped from 0.37 per 100,000 people in 1995 to 0.15 per 100,000 people in 2006... 59 percent. At the same time, the non-firearm homicide rate [has fallen by] 59 percent.

:AMR:

This supports your agenda how?

Sent from my SM-A520F using TOL mobile app

Last edited:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's an attitude survey...
The survey has nothing to do with attitudes, and everything to do with where guns are.

Where guns are is a lower violent crime rate. Where guns aren't is a higher violent crime rate. What else is going on where the higher crimes rates are, and directly related to most violent crime, is gangs, black markets, and broken families.

I'm not objecting to combating poverty sensitive issues that disproportionately feed criminal activity.
You don't care about poverty. Poverty isn't the problem when it comes to gun violence, and regulations like the ones you are proposing will make people even poorer.

You might say the disparity of income has a strong correlation with violent crime, but not poverty itself. But when we look at reasons for violent crime we find problems that can be fixed despite poverty.

If you mean precise, sure.
Not precise, but obfuscating with unimportant details. The reason to try shooting with a jackhammer is to impress your friends that you can do it. Or if you are more practical, to get one over on the government, which is even cooler (but not actually shooting much if ever because it is useless). If you are going to comment on us lowly folk you should inform yourself first.

I don't care why they own it.
Of course you don't. You think taking useless things that other people own away from them will somehow fix a problem without knowing if it will or not. It won't fix any problem except for making innocent people angry because you are taking their stuff for no reason.

you haven't proposed or accepted a single, solitary idea
I have too. And my ideas are magnitudes more directly relatable to the problem than yours.

all to preserve the almighty status quo that invites butchery.
Having held off most gun regulation (in fact 'shall issue' and 'constitutional carry' have become the most popular forms of carry legislation) we see crime continue to fall in areas where guns are less restricted. Let's extend that to the high crime areas and see the violent crime rates fall even further.

Rather, I note gun deaths because that's the topic.
But I care more about people than a narrow topic if it turns out the narrow topic is important to a broader truth. Violent crime rates continued on the trends they had been on before the gun ban, except that the future is less secure there because of the ban. That's more important than homicide by a particular weapon.

Because we've had repeated, horrific and ongoing violence that can be positively impacted. And we should do that. You want to talk about anything else because it's your end game, to do nothing about it.
Your regulations will do nothing to slow the horrible violence and will make people poorer. And poverty kills a great many more people than violent crime. My solutions do more than yours do by lowering crime and making people richer.

Thanks for illustrating the lengths you'll go to in order to preserve a death lock grip on the status quo. Good luck with that. You're going to need it.
Seriously? You think if your solutions aren't implemented things will get worse? Here's a couple questions for you then: How many large gatherings were cancelled because of the Vegas shooting? How many plans to fly were changed after the TSA was implemented?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If you reduce the number of guns, fewer will be available to use.

In other news, water is wet.
Thanks for the admission that eliminating more dangerous firearms and items will reduce firearm violence of the sort this conversation is addressing.

Just so.

At no stage has a standard been set in this discussion.
[h=1]58 Dead, 500 Plus Wounded[/h]In any event, it's what I'm talking about. You go on and talk about your golf swing if you want to, but you'll have to waste someone else's time with that one.

Then you expect us to wade through 57 pages of your choosing.
Stripe, I really don't care what you do. I thought it would be nice to remind people of the difference between someone who purports to have an understanding gleaned from a Wiki page and someone who notes studies and cites to some so people can see for themselves.

It is a list of mass killings in Australia.
See, that's still not a cite or a link or anything to look at. I've given you both repeatedly.

You prefer to declare your opinion as fact and only ever proceed from there.
Said the guy who does that (and just did it again, supra) to the guy who quotes and links.

[/URL]
A youtube video. :plain: Yeah, Tam moved me off those for the duration. Why not introduce a cocktail napkin next. Better yet, why not quote and cite real authority?

In the decade following the NFA, there has been a substantial drop in firearm deaths in Australia... Firearm homicides have dropped from 0.37 per 100,000 people in 1995 to 0.15 per 100,000 people in 2006... 59 percent. At the same time, the non-firearm homicide rate [has fallen by] 59 percent.

This supports your agenda how?
My agenda is saving lives here and rationally considering any number of efforts by other democracies that have done a substantially better job than we do in my country.

How goes it in yours?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The survey has nothing to do with attitudes, and everything to do with where guns are.
After a census on who owns guns, which doesn't really impact the issue here, was this:

While 21% of urban gun owners say there would be more crime if more Americans owned guns, only 9% of rural gun owners agree. Another 57% of rural owners say there would be less crime, a view shared by 47% of urban owners.
That's attitude/feeling. Followed by:

One key and defining characteristic of gun owners is the extent to which they associate the right to own guns with their own personal sense of freedom.
That's more feeling in lieu of science. Then it talks about how they store their guns. And none of it addressed what I called for or impacted this discussion meaningfully.

Where guns are is a lower violent crime rate. Where guns aren't is a higher violent crime rate.
That's just not true and nothing you've advanced makes it so.

Now here's a little something on point for you, a link to a recent release by a Stanford University study on whether good guys carrying guns reduces crime.

Excerpts:
Economist John Lott first developed this “More Guns, Less Crime” theory in his 1998 book of the same title, and has since popularized it via frequent legislative testimony and op-eds. The NRA has deployed Lott’s work to beat back calls for new curbs on guns and their use. In the aftermath of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, when NRA leader Wayne LaPierre made his infamous assertion that the “only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun,” he was tapping into the already well-seeded notion that hidden guns at arm’s reach of their private owners increase public safety.

It’s a powerful, seductive idea, particularly to Americans who favor personal liberty over communitarian ideals. It’s also completely wrong, according to a new analysis of nearly 40 years’ worth of crime data...Examining statistics from the U.S. Census Bureau and the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting data, the authors estimate that states with stricter concealed-carry laws saw crime fall by 42 percent from 1977 to 2014. That drop is more than four times greater than the 9 percent decrease seen in right-to-carry states.
Link

What else is going on where the higher crimes rates are, and directly related to most violent crime, is gangs, black markets, and broken families.
You said that already, without particular backing, but I responded I'm fine with continuing to try and alter much of what flows from poverty and poverty itself, but those problems have been historically resistant and they're a lot more complicated. Do that, by all means, but in addition and not as a yellow brick road.

You don't care about poverty.
I spent a lot of my life working for poor people, protecting them as a lawyer, helping their children with Americorps, etc. Lay off lying directly about me because it suits your narrative.

Poverty isn't the problem when it comes to gun violence. You might say the disparity of income has a strong correlation with violent crime, but not poverty itself.
:plain:

Not precise, but obfuscating with unimportant details.
That's a load of bull along the "too many notes" line.

The reason to try shooting with a jackhammer is to impress your friends that you can do it.
No, it's one among many reasons, the juvenile one and one that were it the primary would be an even more sound reason to eliminate it, both for its impact as an aide to mass shootings and because of the juvenile mindset directing the weapon.

You think taking useless things that other people own away from them will somehow fix a problem without knowing if it will or not. It won't fix any problem except for making innocent people angry because you are taking their stuff for no reason.
Actually, as I've noted repeatedly, you're wrong and every Western democracy outside of our own with universal, tougher gun laws gives evidence of your error. So you try to reduce it to paranoid conspiracy theory, mind reading, and "taking".

I have too. And my ideas are magnitudes more directly relatable to the problem than yours.
Your opinion of your opinion is as unsupported by empirical data and bereft of serious reason as your solutions are vague and tenuous, to the extent they palpably exist.

Having held off most gun regulation (in fact 'shall issue' and 'constitutional carry' have become the most popular forms of carry legislation) we see crime continue to fall in areas where guns are less restricted. Let's extend that to the high crime areas and see the violent crime rates fall even further.
Rather, crime in this nation has fallen most everywhere as the Baby Boomer generation ages, but as the study from Stanford illustrates, it falls faster where the opposite of your beliefs are in play.

And, more to the point, violent mass shootings are dramatically less frequent in societies that have strong and universal gun laws, which is the ultimate consideration here.

But I care more about people...
All evidence to the contrary.

Your regulations will do nothing to slow the horrible violence...
The opposite is true and observable in any of the Western democracies with universal and tougher gun laws.

And poverty kills a great many more people than violent crime.
Poverty is a serious problem and, again, I'm all for an intelligent and sustained effort at reducing poverty and its impact, including its sponsorship of violence, directly and indirectly.

My solutions do more than yours do by lowering crime and making people richer.
You have a rich fantasy life, but that's not the topic here. What solutions? You've declared some general principles that when pressed you've avoided speaking to and otherwise suggested a general war on this or that. You don't have solutions, Yor. You have rhetoric, you play politician here.

Seriously? You think if your solutions aren't implemented things will get worse?
I think that if we look at models that work better at keeping incidents like the one in Las Vegas from happening, we can manage that here instead of the roughly 30 to 1 disadvantage we have in relation to Australia per million, or the near 30 to near 8 we have over our nearest Western neighbor. That sort of thing. You know, the point here.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Why No One Invades Switzerland?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM8_bXhPlYo

everready
Here are a few facts about Switzerland and guns:

[FONT=&quot]•Nearly every male in Switzerland goes through firearm training at the age of 20.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•Swiss males are allowed to keep their firearms after the end of their military service at age 30. The fully automatic weapons must be converted to semi automatic before they can keep them as civilians.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•Switzerland has universal gun registration on gun ownership.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•Switzerland has universal background checks on all gun purchases.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•Switzerland requires universal reporting of firearm transactions, whether commercial or private transfer of ownership.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•Switzerland's carry laws are highly regulated and very restricted. Other than militia members transporting their firearms on their way to militia training, very few people are allowed to actually carry firearms. And they cannot be loaded.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•Males between 20 and 30 years of age are required to own firearms in Switzerland because they are the nation's well regulated milita. Switzerland has no standing army. It is their civilian militia (much like the intent of the American 2nd amendment) that defends their nation against foreign aggression.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•The vast majority of militia members are not even allowed to store ammo at home. And for the 2000 or so--that's right only 2000--militia members who do have ammo, it is sealed and inspected regularly.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•Switzerland's gun violence rate is fourth highest in the world.

After us it's the worst, despite some pretty good laws

[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Let's look at another metric. This one fairly recent (2016, so it should lower U.S. numbers, given) of firearm deaths per 100k.

Japan, .04
UK, .07
Iceland, .07
Germany, .12
Denmark, .24
Canada, .48
US, 3.85

Translating it...we have 8 times more deaths by homicide per 100 thousand citizens than Canada. Meaning you'd need 800 thousand people from Canada to match our death per 100 thousand.
We're 27 times higher than Denmark.
Start doing the math and you'll really love your chances almost anywhere else in our Democratic cousins backyards.

How safe should you feel? Anyone here want to go on a nice vacation in Iraq? Well, their firearm deaths per 100 stands at 4.28 among noncombatants.

You're safer from gun violence in the Palestinian Territories (2.08).

Source: NPR, Gun Violence: How the U.S. Compares With Other Countries, Oct 3, 2017
[/FONT]

intojoy

BANNED
Banned

[FONT=&quot]•Nearly every male in Switzerland goes through firearm training at the age of 20.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•Swiss males are allowed to keep their firearms after the end of their military service at age 30. The fully automatic weapons must be converted to semi automatic before they can keep them as civilians.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•Switzerland has universal gun registration on gun ownership.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•Switzerland has universal background checks on all gun purchases.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•Switzerland requires universal reporting of firearm transactions, whether commercial or private transfer of ownership.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•Switzerland's carry laws are highly regulated and very restricted. Other than militia members transporting their firearms on their way to militia training, very few people are allowed to actually carry firearms. And they cannot be loaded.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•Males between 20 and 30 years of age are required to own firearms in Switzerland because they are the nation's well regulated milita. Switzerland has no standing army. It is their civilian militia (much like the intent of the American 2nd amendment) that defends their nation against foreign aggression.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•The vast majority of militia members are not even allowed to store ammo at home. And for the 2000 or so--that's right only 2000--militia members who do have ammo, it is sealed and inspected regularly.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•Switzerland's gun violence rate is fourth highest in the world.

[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Let's look at another metric. This one fairly recent (2016, so it should lower U.S. numbers, given) of firearm deaths per 100k.

Japan, .04
UK, .07
Iceland, .07
Germany, .12
Denmark, .24
Canada, .48
US, 3.85

Translating it...we have 8 times more deaths by homicide per 100 thousand citizens than Canada. Meaning you'd need 800 thousand people from Canada to match our death per 100 thousand.
Start doing the math and you'll really love your chances almost anywhere else in our Democratic cousins backyards.

How safe should you feel? Anyone here want to go on a nice vacation in Iraq? Well, their firearm deaths per 100 stands at 4.28 among noncombatants.

Source: NPR, Gun Violence: How the U.S. Compares With Other Countries, Oct 3, 2017
[/FONT]

It’s the blacks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thanks for the admission that eliminating more dangerous firearms and items will reduce firearm violence of the sort this conversation is addressing.
Thanks for declaring victory and ignoring the conversation.

Just so.

You go on and talk about your golf swing if you want to, but you'll have to waste someone else's time with that one.
My golf swing?

We're talking about people's lives, you insensitive lump.

Stripe, I really don't care what you do. I thought it would be nice to remind people of the difference between someone who purports to have an understanding gleaned from a Wiki page and someone who notes studies and cites to some so people can see for themselves.
I didn't claim to have an understanding of anything. It was a list of mass killings in Australia.

We know you hate it. It doesn't suit your narrative.

See, that's still not a cite or a link or anything to look at. I've given you both repeatedly.
You have the link. This isn't a competition; it's a discussion. When you've learned to respect the other guy's ideas, let us know.

Said the guy who does that (and just did it again, supra) to the guy who quotes and links. A youtube video. :plain: Yeah, Tam moved me off those for the duration. Why not introduce a cocktail napkin next. Better yet, why not quote and cite real authority?

Feel free to ignore everything you don't like. That'll advance the conversation.

My agenda is saving lives.
Good for you, Superman.

And rationally considering any number of efforts by other democracies that have done a substantially better job than we do in my country.
That's the point. They haven't.

But you won't listen to the other side, so I guess you're stuck.

How goes it in yours?
What?

Your narrative is that more regulations improve the situation. You will do anything to avoid a rational examination of that idea.

Arthur Brain

Hmm, Stripe calling people "sonny" and referring to himself as if he's Queen Victoria.

Same ole' I suppose...

fool

Hall of Fame

[FONT="]•Nearly every male in Switzerland goes through firearm training at the age of 20.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3C3736][FONT="]•Swiss males are allowed to keep their firearms after the end of their military service at age 30. The fully automatic weapons must be converted to semi automatic before they can keep them as civilians.[/FONT]

[FONT="]•Switzerland has universal gun registration on gun ownership.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3C3736][FONT="]•Switzerland has universal background checks on all gun purchases.[/FONT]

[FONT="]•Switzerland requires universal reporting of firearm transactions, whether commercial or private transfer of ownership.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3C3736][FONT="]•Switzerland's carry laws are highly regulated and very restricted. Other than militia members transporting their firearms on their way to militia training, very few people are allowed to actually carry firearms. And they cannot be loaded.[/FONT]

[FONT="]•Males between 20 and 30 years of age are required to own firearms in Switzerland because they are the nation's well regulated milita. Switzerland has no standing army. It is their civilian militia (much like the intent of the American 2nd amendment) that defends their nation against foreign aggression.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3C3736][FONT="]•The vast majority of militia members are not even allowed to store ammo at home. And for the 2000 or so--that's right only 2000--militia members who do have ammo, it is sealed and inspected regularly.[/FONT]

[FONT="]•Switzerland's gun violence rate is fourth highest in the world.

[/FONT]

Japan, .04
UK, .07
Iceland, .07
Germany, .12
Denmark, .24
Canada, .48
US, 3.85

[/FONT]

I'm confused, this link has The US ranked 11th at 10.54 per 100,000 and Switzerland ranked 24th at 3.01 per 100,000. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
But that's an incomplete list that doesn't have Iraq or Syria.

fool

Hall of Fame
Hmm, Stripe calling people "sonny" and referring to himself as if he's Queen Victoria.

Same ole' I suppose...

Queen Victoria's Grandfather tried to take our guns away at Lexington and Concord.
Elizabeth the II's face is on the currency of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and a couple other places.
Don't tell me how great taking away gun rights works in any of those places because the US was entirely founded on not letting her great great great great Grandfather take away ours.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
635739588597615032-14.jpg

No. It means that the number of guns isn't the problem. Low gun ownership rates are in the highest crime areas.

Don't look at states as a whole. We have data far better than that.
I'll repeat my Detroit/Windsor example - one city mired in a downward spiral of gun violence while the other went 27 months without a homicide.

Both are within a mile of each other, separated only by the Detroit River and international border - but world's apart when it comes to their approach to guns!

Windsor, Ontario, Canada has no equivalent to the 2nd Amendment, licences hunting rifles and shotguns, but places severe restrictions on handguns and bans assault rifles - both of which appear to be the weapons of choice involving homicides.

Last edited: