Proof from the Bible that God is In Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
So you don't have an answer.

If God sees all "time" (past, present, and future) equally and is present in the past and future as He is in the present, then is it possible for God to reach into the future by 10 years (assuming I am alive in 10 years) and bring my future self to meet the present me?

If God is "outside" of time and exists in an "eternal now" and "sees" our history just He sees our present, then is God right now giving the Law to Moses?

God doesn't "dwell" in the past. He already gave the Law of Moses.

Isaiah 42:9
9 Behold, the former things have come to pass,
And new things I declare;
Before they spring forth I tell you of them.”

----------------

As far as God bringing your future self to meet you in the present. What would be the purpose of that?

Wile E. Coyote

----------------

As far as God bringing your future self to meet you in the present. What would be the purpose of that?
The Hebrew does NOT say, "before they spring forth I tell you of them." It says, that they "are sprouting and I tell you of them."

The translation you offer is just another example of how translators are influenced by Platonic Presupposition.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
The Hebrew does NOT say, "before they spring forth I tell you of them." It says, that they "are sprouting and I tell you of them."

The translation you offer is just another example of how translators are influenced by Platonic Presupposition.

Prove it.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
See the online Hebrew Interlinear. Scroll down and click on Isaiah chapter 42. See that the literal reading in the text is that the new things "are sprouting" but then in the margin translation they give the futuristic Platonic reading.

God was speaking of new things which had already begun.

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Hebrew_Index.htm

You have no case from Isaiah 42:9

Biblos-Hebrew

And besides that the verse says:

So if they "spring forth" no matter what God "tells".

sky.

BANNED
Banned

Say what? every time people get trapped in their "theology" they all of a sudden have a problem with a translated word. I'm not moved.

Wile E. Coyote

Say what? every time people get trapped in their "theology" they all of a sudden have a problem with a translated word. I'm not moved.
Translated this means that you don't care what the Bible LITERALLY says. You just swallow everything that is told you. Have a Berean spirit and verify EVERYTHING. This honors the image of God in you.

God said,

"I must go down and see whether their deeds warrant the outcry which has reached me. I am resolved to know the truth." Genesis 18:21 NEB

Why did God have to verify the report given Him if He had already known?

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Translated this means that you don't care what the Bible LITERALLY says. You just swallow everything that is told you. Have a Berean spirit and verify EVERYTHING. This honors the image of God in you.

God said,

"I must go down and see whether their deeds warrant the outcry which has reached me. I am resolved to know the truth." Genesis 18:21 NEB

Why did God have to verify the report given Him if He had already known?

Nope, it means that you care more about what a translation says than what the Bible means. Why did you correct the "literal" Hebrew meaning for ONE verse/word as compared to what the Bible teaches as a whole? You are looking to a "literal" meaning of ONE verse.
-----------------------

Job 11:7-8

7 “Can you search out the deep things of God?
Can you find out the limits of the Almighty?
8 They are higher than heaven— what can you do?
Deeper than Sheol— what can you know?

Last edited:

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Acts 17:11

11 These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so.
-----------------

Scriptures - Plural.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
You have an answer out side of the Bible for everything, don't you wise guy?

Why is it so important to you to think that you know the bounds of God's intelligence?

God is infinite in intelligence. Your logic has God knowing where Alice in Wonderland is. Some issues are not resolved by proof texts, including this one. I have logical and biblical support for my view, but you are defaulting to a non-evidence based position. Because you do not understand it, you wrongly think it is a limitation on God (any limitation by God is voluntary due to the nature of creation He actualized).

godrulz

Hall of Fame

----------------

The past is memory only and the future is anticipatory. Only the present is actual/real. You need to learn about A (presentism) vs B (eternalism) theories of time and pick the view that is evidence based. Each view has implications in other areas such as foreknowledge. As well, you need to decide if determinism or free will is real. It also has implications for FK.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame

----------------

Is our past also the past to God? How can God be outside of time and yet be subject to having a past?

If God indeed experiences events sequentially, then God is not outside of time and there is a past, present, and future to God and thus God is "in time" along with us.

Wile E. Coyote

Why did you correct the "literal" Hebrew meaning for ONE verse/word as compared to what the Bible teaches as a whole?
It was you who brought up Isaiah 42:9. You gave Isaiah 42:9 as a "proof text" and I showed you that it was not a proof text. Then I gave you Genesis 18:21 NEB and asked you a question which you did not answer.

God said,

"I must go down and see whether their deeds warrant the outcry which has reached me. I am resolved to know the truth."

God said that He was "resolved to know the truth." Moreover, on other occasions He sent out angels to gather information for Him. Why? He created them so He could keep an eye on things. Duh!

Aimiel

It is 2012 for God and for us. This is reality, not a problem.
How long does it take for God to see the news on CNN? Is Heaven close enough to earth that it is the same day when He watches it to see what happened on our planet?

:hammer:

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Is our past also the past to God? How can God be outside of time and yet be subject to having a past?

If God indeed experiences events sequentially, then God is not outside of time and there is a past, present, and future to God and thus God is "in time" along with us.

God isn't "subject" to having a past. He created everything knowing the future. There is a difference between us and Him.

God created the sequence.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
God isn't "subject" to having a past. He created everything knowing the future. There is a difference between us and Him.

God created the sequence.

Did God create the past or did God experience events that are now past to Him?

Did God know that Abraham was going to sacrifice Isaac in Genesis 22:12?

“Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.”

Did God know that Nineveh wasn't going to be overthrown in 40 days when he told Jonah to tell Nineveh that they were going to be overthrown in 40 days? Jonah 3:4

“Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!”

When did God create the sequence of events that we experience? Has the future sequence of events already been created? Does the future exist to God just as our present exists to God?

Status
Not open for further replies.