Theology Club: the first and second sending of Paul

heir

TOL Subscriber
See, I've noted you guys have problems seeing distinctions between things that differ.
How about these things that differ? Do you approve?

1 Corinthians 11:2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.

Colossians 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

heir

TOL Subscriber
Really? That seems to be the same complaint they have about you. Most times I can't see much difference between what you all are saying. I think I've said this before. So, maybe it's just people like me who have problems seeing distinctions. You guys....you and yours..... are always seeing distinctions. :doh:
This is a thread about the first and second sending of Paul which are different sendings to different people at different times, so yah, there's going to be distinctions. I get what you're saying though.

Danoh

Let's see who's having a problem seeing things that differ.

Were these Gentiles at one time different?

Galatians 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Ephesians 2:11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

Ephesians 2:12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

With or without a surface level reading of your question given the way you worded it - yeah they were all at one time "without Christ."

Here, have a :)

heir

TOL Subscriber
With or without a surface level reading of your question given the way you worded it - yeah they were all at one time "without Christ."

No, they weren't! Gentiles like the Galatians were in the promise and therefore had a hope!

Galatians 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Not so for the Ephesians to whom Paul wrote the letter who in time past had no hope!

Ephesians 2:11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

Ephesians 2:12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

Do you acknowledge that these Gentiles were at one time different?

glorydaz

This is a thread about the first and second sending of Paul which are different sendings to different people at different times, so yah, there's going to be distinctions. I get what you're saying though.

And it's a good thread. I was wanting to ask you if the Damascus road experience was just one of those sendings. I got confused with all the back and forth, and when Danoh said they were the same. Both were not Paul's being struck blind, correct?

Danoh

Get a grip, man, that's creepy. You need to take a break. You're fast becoming PJ Jr. Let it go.

Oh, come on, I didn't mean it in some creepy way. I know myself to well for that.

I just happen to be a very visceral person. Tam's avatar sets off in me a sense of strength, GD's of a humble strength, and heir's makes me smile; each throws me off viscerally when we are at each others' throats.

glorydaz

Oh, come on, I didn't mean it in some creepy way. I know myself to well for that.

I just happen to be a very visceral person. Tam's avatar sets off in me a sense of strength, GD's of a humble strength, and heir's makes me smile; each throws me off viscerally when we are at each others' throats.

And you can't understand why people might have a problem with
those inner feelings that come to the fore when you're the only one who knows what's going on?

heir

TOL Subscriber
And it's a good thread. I was wanting to ask you if the Damascus road experience was just one of those sendings. I got confused with all the back and forth, and when Danoh said they were the same. Both were not Paul's being struck blind, correct?
The Lord's appearing to Paul in Acts 9 resulted in the first sending (Acts 26:13-18 KJV). The temple vision in which Paul saw the Lord would be much later and resulted in Paul's second sending (Acts 22:17-21 KJV). The second sending was the cause that Paul became a prisoner of Jesus Christ for "you Gentiles" (that's us!) given a dispensation of the grace of God to us ward (Ephesians 3:1-6 KJV).

I hope that helps.

Danoh

No, they weren't! Gentiles like the Galatians were in the promise and therefore had a hope!

Not so for the Ephesians to whom Paul wrote the letter who in time past had no hope!

Do you acknowledge that these Gentiles were at one time different?

Sheesh; my point was that Gentiles were not born into Israel's covenants and promises.

And no. I see Ephesians 2 as Romans 1-3. Both are in the negative as to the status of both with Israel's fall.

Okay, so we differ on these things. Let's just explore our respective understandings. I'd rather we leave the personal animosities out.

In other words, no, I do not hold to any view in stone; I remain open to its further refinement. Always was this way, even when I was lost.

Danoh

The Lord's appearing to Paul in Acts 9 resulted in the first sending (Acts 26:13-18 KJV). The temple vision in which Paul saw the Lord would be much later and resulted in Paul's second sending (Acts 22:17-21 KJV). The second sending was the cause that Paul became a prisoner of Jesus Christ for "you Gentiles" (that's us!) given a dispensation of the grace of God to us ward (Ephesians 3:1-6 KJV).

I hope that helps.

I'm curious; where exactly in Acts do you and yours see this temple vision took place?

And what is your sorting out of the latter half of Galatians 1 and the opening of Galatians 2 with Acts and where that is in Acts?

Thanks, in advance.

Danoh

He seems to be engaging in a surface reading of your avatars.

Lol, perhaps you're right.

I doubt it, though.

Its actually a science called Photo Analysis within the science of Behavioral Modeling.

Been on to that kind of a thing ever since I was a kid wondering why leaves fell from trees. That kind of a thing.

Blew me away when I later found out it is an actual science.

I once posted a video about this kind of a thing, but it went nowhere so I dropped the subject.

This kind of a things also makes for helping get at Paul's mind through his words, in less years than without, etc.

whitestone

The "Overlapping",one ends,another begins,they begin and end at different times. My opinion is Heir is doing a fine job with it's explanation,,,calls it something different "first and second sending",,but none the less speaking of the very same thing,,,,

heir

TOL Subscriber
Sheesh; my point was that Gentiles were not born into Israel's covenants and promises.
You answered the questions of were the Galatians Gentiles at one time different than the Ephesians to whom Paul wrote the letter with this

You need to look in the mirror when saying this:

See, I've noted you guys have problems seeing distinctions between things that differ.
as clearly you have problems seeing distinctions between things that differ.

Last edited:

heir

TOL Subscriber
I'm curious; where exactly in Acts do you and yours see this temple vision took place?
Acts 18:21 But bade them farewell, saying, I must by all means keep this feast that cometh in Jerusalem: but I will return again unto you, if God will. And he sailed from Ephesus.

Acts 18:22 And when he had landed at Caesarea, and gone up, and saluted the church, he went down to Antioch.

And what is your sorting out of the latter half of Galatians 1 and the opening of Galatians 2 with Acts and where that is in Acts?
I'm not sure what you are asking about "sorting", but we can see some seventeen years in Paul's testimony after Paul speaks of the gospel he received by revelation of Jesus Christ and of his time past in the Jew's religion . And as to the time of the meeting in Galatians 2, the time is Acts 15.

Last edited: