Theology Club: The Faith of Christ

Danoh

Why would I want to give any personal information out since there is a person on this thread who wishes I was dead?

You are such a drama queen. That was in the sense of I wish you'd go away.

I know, I know, drama queen; only you can "attack" the messenger.

Get over yourself, you are old hat, and then some.

Jerry Shugart

Who was the promise made to?

Galatians 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

No, the promise was not made to the Lord Jesus but instead the promise was in reference to the Lord Jesus:

"Why then, was the law given at all? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was given through angels and entrusted to a mediator" (Gal.3:19; NIV).​

The promise is "in Christ" and not made to Christ:

"That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel" (Eph.3:6).​

SaulToPaul 2

No, the promise was not made to the Lord Jesus but instead the promise was in reference to the Lord Jesus:

"hen, was the law given at all? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was given through angels and entrusted to a mediator" (Gal.3:19; NIV).​

The promise is "in Christ" and not made to Christ:

"That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel" (Eph.3:6).

:chuckle:

You changed the entire promise made to the seed of Abraham.

Moving on.

Danoh

Who was the promise made to?

Galatians 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

How did he receive it?

Galatians 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

He received by his faith, and it is given to us when we believe.

That IS what the scripture says. May as well accept it.

The covenant: of blessing; the promise, was confirmed before of God… in Christ… it was made to Christ and His seed in Abraham. That is, those which be of faith; as Abraham was.

Jerry Shugart

:chuckle:

You changed the entire promise made to the seed of Abraham.

No, the promise was spoken to the seed of Abraham:

"The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. Scripture does not say “and to seeds,” meaning many people, but “and to your seed,” meaning one person, who is Christ" (Gal.3:16: NIV).​

"Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say “and to seeds,” as though referring to many, but referring to one, and to your seed, who is Christ" (HCSB).​

"Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, “And to seeds,” as referring to many, but rather to one, “And to your seed,” that is, Christ" (NASB).​

The meaning of the Greek word translated "spoken" is rheō and in this verse the word means "the person to whom a thing is said" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

SaulToPaul 2

"The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. Scripture does not say “and to seeds,” meaning many people, but “and to your seed,” meaning one person, who is Christ" (Gal.3:16: NIV).​

"Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say “and to seeds,” as though referring to many, but referring to one, and to your seed, who is Christ" (HCSB).​

"Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, “And to seeds,” as referring to many, but rather to one, “And to your seed,” that is, Christ" (NASB).​

The meaning of the Greek word translated "spoken" is rheō and in this verse the word means "the person to whom a thing is said" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

Who received the promise of the Spirit by his faith?
Yes, the seed, not as of many, but as of one.

Danoh

Note the way this incompetent considers is the way to solve for any issue - cherry pick the translation that best suits the results of his incompetent approach to studying these things out to begin with.

Obviously, he has yet to grasp the principle (and its supporting principles) all these things are to be studied out on the basis of.

Which would not be so bad, if he at least did not attempt to force his errors on others.

"Where's my prize! Where's my prize!!!" - Jerry "Daffy Duck" Shugart.

Jerry Shugart

Can't wait til Jerry is either banned forever, gets a life, or drops dead.

You are out of control and obviously in need of professional help.

I will no longer respond to anything you say because my remarks just make your condition worse.

I pray in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ that you will seek help.

Danoh

You are out of control and obviously in need of professional help.

I will no longer respond to anything you say because my remarks just make your condition worse.

I pray in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ that you will seek help.

I don't know about all that. I'm just having some fun at the expense of you vanity.

You know; like how you ever hound our own, no matter the topic, and at the expense of your having derailed one more of all the threads your vain need for attention has derailed?

Me out of control? Not at all. I know exactly what I am doing and when to stop.

You are the one out of control - you don't even know your decades old hounding after your own, is wrong.

If they are even your own. For you are too much Acts 2.

Jerry Shugart

Who received the promise of the Spirit by his faith?
Yes, the seed, not as of many, but as of one.

By the context it is obvious that the promise by faith is referring to Gentile's receiving the promise of the Spirit by faith:

"That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith" (Gal.3:14).​

So it is obvious that this translation is in error because the promise of the Spirit was not just to only Abraham and the Lord Jesus:

"Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ" (Gal.3:16).​

SaulToPaul 2

So it is obvious that this translation is in error because the promise of the Spirit was not just to only Abraham and the Lord Jesus:

:doh:

It does not say something that you like, so you must change it to fit what you have already decided believe.

Till the seed should come to whom the promise was made.
The seed came after the Law.
Abraham and his seed (many) existed before the Law.
The promise was made to Christ.
That faith came after the law.

Context will always overrule the "well the translation must be in error" argument.

Jerry Shugart

It does not say something that you like, so you must change it to fit what you have already decided believe.

I changed nothing and once again you ignored the evidence from the Bible which proves you wrong.

And that is why you refused to answer my points in my last post.

SaulToPaul 2

I changed nothing and once again you ignored the evidence from the Bible which proves you wrong.

And that is why you refused to answer my points in my last post.

This is your reply when you don't agree with a post.

Have you learned anything from another TOLer before?

SaulToPaul 2

The promise of the Spirit.
It was made to the seed, Christ.
He received it by his faith.
It is given to us when we believe.
We receive it THROUGH faith, THROUGH the faith of Christ.

Jerry Shugart

The promise of the Spirit.
It was made to the seed, Christ.
He received it by his faith.

That is right. The promise is given to Christians when they believed so millions of people have received the promise which was given to them.

So this translation cannot be correct because it says that the promise was only made to Abraham and the Lord Jesus:

"Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ" (Gal.3:16).​

Here is the correct translation:

Last edited:

Danoh

That is right. The promise is given to Christians when they believed so millions of people have received the promise which was given to them.

So this translation cannot be correct because it says that the promise was only made to Abraham and the Lord Jesus:

Here is the correct translation:

Nonsense - the Promise is two fold.

You just don't know why Paul even brought up the One Seed to begin with. He is not ignoring the Multiplied seed there, anymore than he is elsewhere in his writings.

What they all have in common is the faith of Abraham. Said like faith being the means of availing oneself of the Promise promised to the One Seed, and through Him, to all who avail themselves of it by faith.

Of course, turn that into your soapbox, you will, though you clearly do not understand the dynamic.

You just don't know how to sort these issues out because you have overemphasized attempting to sort them out through a passage or two compared by you in various translations as your "wisdom."

That is the practice of the neophyte.

The thing to do is to scour the KJV from cover to cover, not to spit on it out of your ignorance; as you do "the messenger" - the KJV, out of the ignorance your pitiful study methods have resulted in after all these years.

Don't like my tone. Well, change yours towards our brethren, you bully.

SaulToPaul 2

Nonsense - the Promise is two fold.

Yes, Christ received the promise by his faith.

Hence, the Galatians that were in Christ, were heirs according to the promise.

Jerry has a hang up about faithfulness/faith, that he must grind every one to powder with. Yes the LORD was faithful. And, yes the LORD believed what the scriptures said about him (faith) and acted accordingly.

Everything with Jerry must be a hill to die on, an epic battle to the bitter end.