Conversation with Knight about losing faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry Shugart

Nope. Not playing your evasion game. You don't get to ignore posts and pretend you answered them.

Tell me exactly what I evaded?

I answered your idea that the word "saved" as it is used in regard to the Jews is different from the way it is used by Paul.

I answered your idea that the Jews who lived under the law did not enjoy eternal security.

What did I evade?

musterion

You came back for my sake and the sake of others who love you. Don't you forget it. :)

giphy.gif

glorydaz

Who knows, maybe he was bored and/or didn't realize that anna hasn't been here in months. What purpose do you suppose he had other than talking trash? Sure didn't fly as he was booted from the thread.

Doser was simply trying to put some life back into this place. He was doing a good job of it, too. We were all having fun, but that isn't appreciated by some of you folks, is it? You'd rather hear Town's lame jokes about pancakes.

musterion

Doser was simply trying to put some life back into this place. He was doing a good job of it, too. We were all having fun, but that isn't appreciated by some of you folks, is it? You'd rather hear Town's lame jokes about pancakes.

Doser wasn't stalking anyone. Discussing, yes, but that happens all the time. Town even was allowed an entire dedicated thread (which I never saw the point of, except for scolding condescension) to talk about everyone who reported anyone else to the Woodshed. But I guess that's different.

But this thread is about loss of faith? Okay, I have had good reasons to recently lose a big chunk of faith in TOL, and this thread's teapot tempest isn't one of them. Do I earn a prize, like Town, or a ban like Doser for saying that?

Last edited:

Arthur Brain

You were all having fun doing what? Gossiping about someone who doesn't post here anymore? Can't say I do appreciate it when people troll friends so if it was supposed to be entertaining with doser and Musty's garbage then yeah, I'd sooner listen to TH talk about pancakes...

You're the one with the hangup where it comes to the guy.

Heck, if this place needs life injected into it by resurrecting threads like this then what does that say?

glorydaz

Doser wasn't stalking anyone. Discussing, yes, but that happens all the time. Town even was allowed an entire dedicated thread (which I never saw the point of, except for scolding condescension) to talk about everyone who reported anyone else to the Woodshed. But I guess that's different.

But this thread is about loss of faith? Okay, I have had good reason to recently lose a big chunk of faith in TOL, and this thread's teapot tempest isn't one of them. Do I earn a prize, like Town, or a ban like Doser for saying that?

I vote prize. :first:

Just remember, there is only ONE worthy of faith. TOL is just a group of people, and some of them are totally annoying. The rest of us, though, can enjoy the time we have together. I really missed you while you were gone, and this is a place we can gather. I like that.

glorydaz

Lol.... Nobody... and I mean nobody has been banned more than Koban.

Comments on the danger of Christians without congregation moved to A Momentary Life (link).

even though we disagree on a lot of things
this has been a great thread
with a lot of interesting posts
and
some them were not mine

some of them were indeed

or were not

whatever :idunno:

she was really something back in 08 when she defended bush and attacked bammy

seems like a lifetime ago

and you should have seen her mix it up with barbie :chuckle:

funny - i don't remember her mixing it up in the religious threads

did they moby back in 2009?

that reminds me - i was browsing these this morning - late fifties Mobylette - French built, very popular in the colonial possessions - you often see them in Vietnam war movies

someday it will be mine

oh yes

3032009018_1_9_J1qnmH4L.jpg

seems to me she did discuss catholicism with trad and zippy - did you know zippy?

i don't remember being interested in those threads

You were all having fun doing what? Gossiping about someone who doesn't post here anymore? Can't say I do appreciate it when people troll friends so if it was supposed to be entertaining with doser and Musty's garbage then yeah, I'd sooner listen to TH talk about pancakes...

You're the one with the hangup where it comes to the guy.

Heck, if this place needs life injected into it by resurrecting threads like this then what does that say?

The funny part of your charge is that Doser came here to bring up a quote from Knight....once in 2018, and another one recently that clearly irritated Town. (How dare Doser use Town's dead thread to do his banana dance.) Both of those were completely innocent boasting about being banned, and had to do with Knight's quote. But, Town couldn't stand it. Thus the rest of it came about. It came about because Town pitched a hissy fit and provoked any responses that followed. No one likes to sit by and watch a grown man have a tantrum because HIS thread is being used (even though it was Knight's quote that was being used).

Jerry Shugart

This is a thread about faith. If you go off track, you might get booted.

So far I have not seen you say one thing about faith.

I came on this thread saying the following:

Is the subject of this thread about losing faith?

If it is then does anyone want to try to identify the "truth" which the Apostle John refers to in the following passage?:

"The elder unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth; and not I only, but also all they that have known the truth; For the truth's sake, which dwelleth in us, and shall be with us for ever"
(2 Jn.1-2).​

I say that it is the same truth that James speaks of here:

"Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures" (Jas.1:18).​

glotydaz, do you have anything to say about what I wrote, which is the subject of this thread?

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

It's his MO, but why on earth is he over here?

Tell me exactly what I evaded about what musterion said:

He spoke those words in the context of the Kingdom. That makes a huge difference. That you don't realize it proves you're not as dispensational as you think -- you equate "saved" under Paul's gospel with "saved" under the covenant program. They're not the same kind of salvation.

Please tell me how the word "saved" as used in the following passage which applies to the Jews is different from the way that it is used under Paul's gospel:

"But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins" (Mt.1:20-21).​

Now back to the verse I quoted to you earlier:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life"
(Jn.3:16).​

How is that "everlasting" or "eternal" life different from the eternal life of which Paul spoke about and the Apostle John spoke about here to the Jews?:

"And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son" (1 Jn.5:11).​

But you've already been told that a dozen times. So how about telling us how a member of Christ's very Body -- fully forgiven and justified from all things -- can also need to persevere unto the end to be saved (Matt 24:13), since you evidently believe "saved" always means the same thing.

Do believers today, Jerry, need to persevere unto the end to be saved? Yes or no.

The words you quoted at Matthew 24:13 are speaking about "physical" life, not "eternal life." The Jews who lived under the law enjoyed eternal security just as we do. For instance, I have already shown that the Jewish believers already possessed eternal life (1 Jn.5:11) and here is what the Lord Jesus said about those to whom He gives eternal life:

"And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand" (Jn.10:28).​

He also said the following to the Jews who lived under the law:

"All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out" (Jn.6:37).​

He also said the following to those who lived under the law:

"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die"
(Jn.11:25-26).​

Arthur Brain

The funny part of your charge is that Doser came here to bring up a quote from Knight....once in 2018, and another one recently that clearly irritated Town. (How dare Doser use Town's dead thread to do his banana dance.) Both of those were completely innocent boasting about being banned, and had to do with Knight's quote. But, Town couldn't stand it. Thus the rest of it came about. It came about because Town pitched a hissy fit and provoked any responses that followed. No one likes to sit by and watch a grown man have a tantrum because HIS thread is being used (even though it was Knight's quote that was being used).

I really don't care about your issues with TH. If he winds you up so much then why not just put him on ignore?

:idunno:

glorydaz

Why have you interposed yourself into this particular discussion at all? Town doesn't need, and I'll bet doesn't want, you to defend him. Doser doesn't give a crap what you think.

So why are you even here again?

:idunno:

He is Town's backup. Always has been, and always will be. You know those old Westerns where the bad guy has his sidekick come in and tell the saloon crowd to mind their manners because the boss is here? That's Artie and Town.

Arthur Brain

Because the topics of most of my threads are beyond you.

No, they're either just not very interesting to me or woefully ill informed, like those ones about England being subsumed by Islam et al. Other than pointing out how woefully ill informed they are, there's not much else to add on threads like that, hence, not very interesting.

Arthur Brain

Town doesn't wind me up. In fact, he never let's me down. :chuckle:

I don't put anyone on ignore.

I prefer to know the dullards and brilliant alike....the fake and the real....the egotists and the humble.

Sure he doesn't. That must be why you can't seem to stop talking about him.

:rain:

He is Town's backup. Always has been, and always will be. You know those old Westerns where the bad guy has his sidekick come in and tell the saloon crowd to mind their manners because the boss is here? That's Artie and Town.

You should start watching some more modern cinema then. TH posts for himself as I do for me and we've had our share of strong disagreements over the duration.

Status
Not open for further replies.