toldailytopic: Boy Scouts vote to allow gay members. Good decision or bad decision?

glorydaz

And kids mostly don't care about that stuff unless their parents teach them to view it as "bad". They call other kids "queers" because their parents have taught them that it's an insult. But when they get to know someone who is gay for themselves, in most cases they will see that it was a lie.

We went through all this with racism, and the younger generations no longer carry around all that crap like the older folks have done. Now we're going through it with homosexuality, and the same positive changes will happen over time. The Scout's decision is just another step in the direction of freedom and equality, and it's a good thing.

Interesting how you compare a sexual sin to the color of one's skin. :nono:

Dena

There is no such thing as a "gay child." The problem for the Boy Scouts will be older boys, who have made the wrong decision or have been "gotten to" already, will be around younger boys who are only awakening to their sexual urges. That's exactly what we don't need.

What do you propose be done to prevent non-openly gay boys from abusing other younger boys? Because if that's your issue then it matters not one bit if the boys are openly gay or not.

I don't know anything about boy scouts. Are there are a lot of instances where the younger boys are out overnight with older boys?

glorydaz

What do you propose be done to prevent non-openly gay boys from abusing other younger boys? Because if that's your issue then it matters not what bit if the boys are openly gay or not.

I don't know anything about boy scouts. Are there are a lot of instances where the younger boys are out overnight with older boys?

The camp staff is made up of adult Scouters and older Boy Scouts. If the older boy's gayness is accepted then the younger boys will assume it's fine. Nothing can completely stop things done in secret, but that doesn't mean we should open the flood gates.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
You can't "catch" being gay. That's not the way things work. And you can't decide to be gay or not to be gay.

You can only change behavior. Your worries are meaningless.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Perverts in general prey on children. That's what they do. It has nothing to do with homosexuality or heterosexuality. The Boy Scouts aren't changing their policy on gay scout leaders.

Why not, if gay kids are ok, gay adults should be too, or thats discrimination isnt it?

You liberals are all over the map.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sex is behavior. Gender is something you are born with, and there are only two.

Male and female he created them.

There is no"orientation" in the way they mean.

PureX

Interesting how you compare a sexual sin to the color of one's skin. :nono:
Bigotry is bigotry. We all sin, we all have a skin color. None of this justifies bigotry. It doesn't matter what the reasons or excuses are.

The bigots will never change, but their children will see past it if they're given the chance.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Bigotry is bigotry. We all sin, we all have a skin color. None of this justifies bigotry. It doesn't matter what the reasons or excuses are.

The bigots will never change, but their children will see past it if they're given the chance.

You are a bigot for your own position. You are too blind to see.

Quincy

I really don't like it actually. I don't think sexuality should be discussed in, you know, a youth focused group. You know, it's weird to me that any child that age needs to discuss openly their sexuality o_O . Who cares? I sure as hell don't, whether the kids are straight or gay. Let them do crafts and some fishing. Stupid sex obsessed garbage society.

glorydaz

Yeah, and our kids will "see past" the importance of being faithful to their spouses, too, if we continue to allow them to watch the garbage shown on TV. They'll "see past" the importance of working for the food they eat if we give them a chance to see how Welfare will take care of all their needs.

Heck, they'll even "see past" the need to brush their teeth if we don't bother to show them how. So, really, your argument simply falls short of common sense.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Yeah, and our kids will "see past" the importance of being faithful to their spouses, too, if we continue to allow them to watch the garbage shown on TV. They'll "see past" the importance of working for the food they eat if we give them a chance to see how Welfare will take care of all their needs.

Heck, they'll even "see past" the need to brush their teeth if we don't bother to show them how. So, really, your argument simply falls short of common sense.

Exactly. Well said.

glorydaz

You can't "catch" being gay. That's not the way things work. And you can't decide to be gay or not to be gay.

You can only change behavior. Your worries are meaningless.

You can catch the eye of some older teen who caught the eye of some man, and then you can actually come to believe you, too, might be "gay." So, yeah, it's catchy in a sense...just like all sin.

Lon

You can't "catch" being gay.
Can I 'catch' addiction to tobacco? Can I 'catch' promiscuity? Can I 'catch' a habit?

That's not the way things work.
Yeah, peer pressure never works that way....does it? :nono:

And you can't decide to be gay or not to be gay.
LoveMeorHateMe absolutely disagrees with you and I'm inclined to really give him the benefit of a listen on this particular.

You can only change behavior.
Like quitting smoking? Stopping drug addiction? Stopping sexual addiction? :think:

Your worries are meaningless.
How 'politically' correct of you. Do your fellow Catholics know you are supposed to be one? (just wondering).

Dena

I really don't like it actually. I don't think sexuality should be discussed in, you know, a youth focused group. You know, it's weird to me that any child that age needs to discuss openly their sexuality o_O . Who cares? I sure as hell don't, whether the kids are straight or gay. Let them do crafts and some fishing. Stupid sex obsessed garbage society.

It is weird which I think is part of the issue.

Quincy

It is weird which I think is part of the issue.

Yea, there is a deep problem our society suffers from, I think. There is just no reason why sexual orientation should be a topic for any youth group to discuss. I don't see how it has anything to do with the BSoA's mission. What are they going to do? Give out "You're so fabulous!" badges?

glorydaz

Yes, a very young impressionable person can become convinced they are gay because of being molested by a gay person.

They can and they do. I did night shift at a residential treatment center for the worst cases of sexual abuse in the country. All kids were between the ages of four and twelve.

There were nine boys on one floor, and all nine would use every opportunity to crawl into his neighbor's bed and act out sexually. We had motion detectors, but had to watch them like hawks. What are the odds of having all nine little boys being "born gay" as opposed to being molested into acting out "gay" behaviour?