toldailytopic: Who do you think would make a good TOL moderator?

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I'm a guy too. :noid:

yep, and your presence is sorely missed

there used to be quite a few guys banging around in here, rough housing and having fun

lately the site seems to have moved toward the crabby old lady/feminized male experience, where we must all be sensitive of each others feelings and avoid "provoking" others

nuts to that

fool

Hall of Fame
I know the perfect place. :up:

To raid?
Sweet I'm in, are there plenty of pro-abort liberals to bash?
Is it full of Commies?
Is it someplace warm? I hope it's someplace warm.
We should tell CabinetMaker, he likes to go raiding.
Anyone else?
I think Bybees' in.
Nobody tell Knight, he doesn't like that sort of thing.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I don't think sites like that exist anymore

TOL's a kind of dinosaur in its own regard

used to be a lot of kids participated - i assumed they were college students

now they all have other social media

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What, again?
Okay, you made claims about how a cursory analysis of reports and mod action would tell you something about a poster in consideration for potential mod status, stressing the notion that being right was of preeminent importance here.

It was a flawed approach. I set out why, from the subjective nature of a number of rules and sampling problems, to the declared bias in enforcement. You responded by block quoting it with a comment that I didn't like numbers now. :plain:

They need to exercise that power in keeping with the beliefs of what has been established. Divergence in belief makes for division in leadership.
That's a nice attempt to magically make beliefs the issue, but again, what a mod does is enforce the rules. Those rules are understandable and I've seen mods with different triggers manage it over the years I've been here.

I wrote: And that opinion is founded on the proposition of unequal treatment, which is neither fair, just, nor right. It's purely an expression of power.
:allsmile:
Given I've prospered under the system what am I supposed to be crying about? It's simply the truth and one that impacts your approach, the one you can't and didn't rationally defend with that block quote and subsequent memory loss.

I can wait while you compose yourself.

You're not going to call it fair or right?
It doesn't call itself fair or right, so why should I and why would you?

Well, you can call it not fair and all you'll get is mocked. You can call it not right and get yourself smacked by the truth.
Ah, threats of doom, but no reason. Nah. What will happen is what happened with you, or name calling maybe. Because if you approach me rationally it won't go well for you. You're smart enough. It isn't accidental that you're doing memory loss exercises and declarations backed by vague threats instead of arguing the points.

Truth is that is is right for the mods to behave as they do and to limit access to the functions of the mods as they do.
So you don't like English now? :D Okay, that dig aside, the truth is that the standard of enforcement turns in part on who is making the complaint and that's not an expression of right, it's an expression of power. It's like the thing hard right wingers complain about with the government, but without all that voting. :D

Now again, I think most of the decisions the mods make in terms of doling out punishment are merited. Not all and sometimes it's glaringly about the poster, but that's a rare event. But the mods are also notoriously uneven and many a justifiable objection dies on the vine because the poster in question is on the wrong side of that bias. That's about power and nothing more.

What? :AMR:
It wasn't a complicated answer. A mod enforces the rules. The rules are understandable. All that might be impacted by diversity would be an active method of suppressing posters acting within the rules but opposed to the bias and/or encouraging those who don't act within the rules but share the root of the bias.

And that would negate the whole fair or right business, unless you think might makes it, so I'm not surprised you'd rather be confused than take it on.

:e4e:

Last edited:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Res is like a puppy--chewing things up and making a mess--annoying and mostly harmless. If he bothers you, just ignore him...

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
To raid?
Sweet I'm in, are there plenty of pro-abort liberals to bash?
Is it full of Commies?
Is it someplace warm? I hope it's someplace warm.
We should tell CabinetMaker, he likes to go raiding.
Anyone else?
I think Bybees' in.
Nobody tell Knight, he doesn't like that sort of thing.

I think Knight is on an extended vacation and has a few subroutines in place to mimic his presence. :)

But how can we be sure? How can we set up this raid without him knowing? :noid:

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:dog:are not mod material either.

Breathe

Whoever gets the mod job should not be someone who campaigns for it. It has been my experience that those who actively seek power are the least well equipped to handle it. True in life, and true on the internet.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
aCultureWarrior!

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Whoever gets the mod job should not be someone who campaigns for it. It has been my experience that those who actively seek power are the least well equipped to handle it. True in life, and true on the internet.
Reminds me of a certain fellow that posted all over the forum promoting himself for the position.