toldailytopic: How do you celebrate Earth Day?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I had a Guinness. Two, actually.

Pretty much like every other day.

Well, actually, Mrs. Barbarian and I planned to visit Fair Park Earth day. We thought that maybe they'd be rolling one of those big Earth balls around, or something, maybe funny costumes or something.

But Mrs. Barbarian felt a bit under the weather. So she finished planting the flower garden. And I got started on extending the retaining wall, as I've been promising to do. Which is pretty earth-like, come to think of it.

Alate_One

I don't understand this destructive reaction to earth day. It certainly isn't Biblical. To destroy what God gave us to take care of that serves as our life support system, how does that make sense?

Caring for creation shouldn't be a liberal or conservative issue. (Originally it wasn't)

I always manage to forget about special days like earth/arbor day. Though today I walked in the woods and picked a few flowers for botany lab tomorrow.

rue1.jpg

I was really looking for mushrooms but didn't find any.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
April, 1977...

124690.gif

You know, depending on a news magazine for science, is what gets the creationists blindsided on a regular basis. In the interests of helping TOLers avoid future embarrassment...

Sceptics like to say that climate scientists who support the consensus of man-made global warming are like the boy who cried wolf.

They say that in the 1970s, climate scientists claimed that we were headed for a mini ice-age. They then point out that this never happened, and so question the strength of current predictions that the globe will be between 2 and 5 °C warmer by 2100.

Fair enough. But was there ever a consensus over global cooling in the 1970s?

A few climate scientists have now scanned through the research literature of the time. For 1965 to 1979, they found seven articles that predicted cooling, 44 that predicted warming and 20 that were neutral. The results are being published in the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society.
You can also read summaries on RealClimate and on ScienceNews, though if you're interested in how the myth of global cooling was turned on its head, it is well worth reading the researchers' own version, which is freely available (as a PDF).

In other words, it appears there was not a scientific consensus over global cooling. So what created the fuss?

Possibly a careful selection of news items by certain politicians. According to the version of the study currently available online:

When the myth of the 1970s global cooling scare arises in contemporary discussion over climate change, it is most often in the form of citations not to the scientific literature, but to news media coverage. That is where US Senator James Inhofe turned for much of the evidence to support his argument in a Senate floor speech in 2003 (Inhofe 2003). Chief among his evidence was a frequently cited Newsweek story: "The Cooling World" (Gwynne 1975).

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2008/10/global-cooling-was-a-myth.html

A word to the wise...

exminister

Revelation 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

Obviously an Earth Day holiday isn't enough compensation.
So the Bible does say mankind can destroy the earth.
All I can say is when I was young I crossed the Woodrow Wilson for work. There were many days you could not see the Washington Monument. (This is what is like in Bejing now). Then the clean air act came along and now you can see the monument clearly everyday.
Now I live off the Shenandoah River. There was a plant north that dumped chemicals in the river for decades which closed around a year ago. The awful smell is still in the water.
God helps those who help themselves and He allows us to do many awful things to ourselves unless we wise up and you know that.

You shouldn't poo where you eat.

exminister

I don't understand this destructive reaction to earth day. It certainly isn't Biblical. To destroy what God gave us to take care of that serves as our life support system, how does that make sense?

Caring for creation shouldn't be a liberal or conservative issue. (Originally it wasn't)

I always manage to forget about special days like earth/arbor day. Though today I walked in the woods and picked a few flowers for botany lab tomorrow.

I was really looking for mushrooms but didn't find any.
I too have to be reminded its earth day. It is just another day to me.

We just found some morels. They are so yummy good.

exminister

Barbarian,
I heard recently that "global warming" is not necessarily an accurate description. Rather pollution is disrupting climates, making them erratic. Have you heard this?

Alate_One

Barbarian,
I heard recently that "global warming" is not necessarily an accurate description. Rather pollution is disrupting climates, making them erratic. Have you heard this?

It's putting more energy into the system, which can cause somewhat unpredictable effects. For example, the jet stream over North America has been on the move. Last year it was really high, causing unseasonable warmth and lack of rainfall in many areas. This year it's dipped very low and allowed a huge amount of precipitation. This reversed the drought and has now put us under flood conditions and left us with a cool spring.

There has been research tying this year's particular pattern to sea ice loss in the arctic.

Arctic amplification

doloresistere

The college of Geosciences that i am part of at the university I attend had an earth day celebration today. Me and another senior student gave presentations based on our senior thesis's. I also won an 250 scholarship from a rock and mineral society that gives our college these awards every year.

Dena

I thought one of the main parts of being Christian is looking after the Earth... :think: this thread is strange. But it shows you that you know it has an affect, which is why you're doing it in spite.

Silly silly.

No, they think they will get a new one so they aren't worried.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Praise God that He gave a nice place to live with awesome natural resources to enjoy and beautiful things to look at.

But then that would be everyday, not just once a year...

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian,

Yes, part of warming can be cooling also, if you melt ice and it causes higher water levels, there is more water to absorb heat, rather than reflect it...

I prefer climate change so you don't get the idiot saying but it still snows.

Edit: Only the top of ice will reflect heat, not all of it... if you melt part of it away, you lose no reflection but gain water level. (Not sure that's currently accepted science, just my thoughts).

220px-Albedo2012hessel_herring_skin_updated.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albedo

Think of how difficult it must be to leave an ice age due to the freezing... causes more freezing.

I'm going to try and find instances of heating caused by the ice age, see if it works in reverse.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian,

The Earth is indeed warming up. Warmest year on record last year, and the top nine years have been since the year 2000. So yes, it's warming. But due to local effects, it doesn't always mean warmer for any particular place. For example, if the Arctic ice melts quickly, it could disrupt the Gulf stream, which warms Northern Europe, and make that part of the world colder.

So "Climate Change" is probably more accurate, even though the data continue to show increased warming on a global scale.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Earth is indeed warming up. Warmest year on record last year, and the top nine years have been since the year 2000.

You area a disgraceful liar. Knight, I will buy you a gold each year you keep this piece of trash banned from the site. Barbie, may God repay you for your works.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You area a disgraceful liar. Knight, I will buy you a gold each year you keep this piece of trash banned from the site. Barbie, may God repay you for your works.

So much for valuing free speech and thought, eh? Why are you so incapable of debating like an adult?

doloresistere

The Earth is indeed warming up. Warmest year on record last year, and the top nine years have been since the year 2000.

When you are on a plateau, all elevations are the highest for miles around. We have not seen significant warming in the last 16 years. If the temperature has been roughly the same for the last 16 years and it climbed to that plateau over the last 150 years, is it any wonder that the top 9 warmest years could be found within those 16 years? When you also consider that over 60% of the warming in the last 150 years occurred between the years of 1900 and 1940, these cherry picked high years don't seem all that startling at all. It was also warmer during the early part of the holocene than it is today. I don't remember there being any SUV's and coal burning power plants around at that time.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
When you are on a plateau, all elevations are the highest for miles around. We have not seen significant warming in the last 16 years. If the temperature has been roughly the same for the last 16 years and it climbed to that plateau over the last 150 years, is it any wonder that the top 9 warmest years could be found within those 16 years?

Well, let's take a look.
1994 38
1995 56
1996 48
1997 53
1998 82
1999 57
2000 55
2001 67
2002 78
2003 77
2004 68
2005 87
2006 76
2007 85
2008 64
2009 78
2010 91
2011 77
2012 74
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata_v3/GLB.Ts.txt

The regression line for the data shows the slope to be about 1.86, a strong upward trend. The regression equation is 44.87+1.856x where x is the year with 1994 being year 4. Would you like me to show you the line graph? It's very clear.

When you also consider that over 60% of the warming in the last 150 years occurred between the years of 1900 and 1940

Hmm... nope....

Instrumental_Temperature_Record.png

As you can see, the difference between 1900 and 1940 was about 0.2 degrees Celsius while the difference between 1940 and 2000 was over 0.5 degrees Celsius.

these cherry picked high years

As you see, the cherry picked year was 1998, which was a very hot year. Deniers have been continuously pushing back the number of years, in order to cherry pick that one. But it's no good. Even I allow you that bit of cherry-picking, it won't help you. Would you like to see the regression analysis for just 15 years? BTW, you probably meant "15 years"; the data for 2013 isn't in yet, and so "16 years" would put the much cooler 1997 data in play, and make your one big year in the 90s, less impressive.

Last edited:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
So much for valuing free speech and thought, eh? Why are you so incapable of debating like an adult?

He's a scared little guy with a lot of anger to manage. And facts make him cross-eyed with fury.

Edit: I just got another whiny negative rep from (guess who).

Last edited: