toldailytopic: Why do some people seem to hate Tim Tebow so much?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 12th, 2011 09:43 AM

tim-tebow.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have friends that literally HATE Tim Tebow with a passion. I don't think they hated Osama Bin Laden this passionately. While they might not like his style of play on the field how can they hate a kid that is such a good upstanding, caring individual such as Tim Tebow?

Read this article about Tim Tebow and tell me why some people seem to hate him so much.

Arthur Brain

Because he loves God, and people in darkness hate the light Jn 3:20

I don't think it's that as plenty people in the sporting world are given heckles and abuse if they're not performing to expectations on the 'field'. There's plenty in English football who have been booed as soon as the ball comes to them because of either poor performance overall or an indiscretion that's cost the team a point etc. It's pretty sad really but such is the territory where it comes to mainstream team sports unfortunately....

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't think it's that as plenty people in the sporting world are given heckles and abuse if they're not performing to expectations on the 'field'. There's plenty in English football who have been booed as soon as the ball comes to them because of either poor performance overall or an indiscretion that's cost the team a point etc. It's pretty sad really but such is the territory where it comes to mainstream team sports unfortunately....
Poor performance certainly isn't the answer. Tebow took over when the Broncos had only won one game and lost four. Since he took over the Bronco's have only lost one game and now lead the division.

In the last 8 weeks Tim Tebow is the winning-est quarterback in the league next only to Superbowl MVP Aaron Rodgers.

Arthur Brain

Poor performance certainly isn't the answer. Tebow took over when the Broncos had only won one game and lost four. Since he took over the Bronco's have only lost one game and now lead the division.

In the last 8 weeks Tim Tebow is the winning-est quarterback in the league next only to Superbowl MVP Aaron Rodgers.

Well, there seems to be mixed opinion over Tebow from the threads on here already. I'm no expert on the guy but it's far from unusual for a sporting figure to be put under the spotlight and especially in such a high profile team sport. It's sad but when a player ends up making a mistake it's often swept upon especially when they've already established themselves in the sport. This has happened to players like David Beckham in the English league (although he didn't help himself on one occasion) where the heckling was just ridiculously overboard.

Sometimes success itself is enough for people to heckle over though I don't see his faith as being the main reason for it. Plenty of folk make no secret of that in sport in general.

MrRadish

I think people get excessively upset about sports personalities because for many, team sports are a surrogate for tribal warfare. If someone in their 'tribe' is acting in a way they dislike, they feel personally betrayed and fundamentally unsafe, because they feel associated on a fairly profound level with that individual.

Also, ostentatious public displays of faith (I get the impression from a bit of Google-Fu that Tebow has a penchant for kneeling and praying in the middle of the pitch) are widely considered to be irritating, regardless of one's religion.

Arthur Brain

I think people get excessively upset about sports personalities because for many, team sports are a surrogate for tribal warfare. If someone in their 'tribe' is acting in a way they dislike, they feel personally betrayed and fundamentally unsafe, because they feel associated on a fairly profound level with that individual.

Also, ostentatious public displays of faith (I get the impression from a bit of Google-Fu that Tebow has a penchant for kneeling and praying in the middle of the pitch) are widely considered to be irritating, regardless of one's religion.

Yeh, team sports is where this mentality arises as oppose to individual sports like snooker/tennis etc because they're part of a unit. When Englands goalkeeper let in a horrendous goal in the World Cup the hate he received was strewn all over the press. Had it been a snooker player missing the black off a spot it's forgotten about 2 minutes later as there's no national involvement. The same with league sports and for the same reasons....

His expression of faith may tick some people off but he's hardly alone in that and I hardly see it as the prime reason.

GuySmiley

- He is successful despite not being what the experts say you have to be. (although I'd say in the last two weeks he IS what the experts say you have to be, but everyone is ignoring it.)
- He's a quarterback, which is a unique position and get all the focus in football.
- He was a well known college quarterback so he came into the league with a huge set of fans and enemies already.
- "experts" made their predictions early and people naturally defend their positions, its hard to repent.
- AND to top it off he's outspoken about Christianity, some people just dont like the 'goody two-shoes' character.

GuySmiley

Yeh, team sports is where this mentality arises as oppose to individual sports like snooker/tennis etc because they're part of a unit. When Englands goalkeeper let in a horrendous goal in the World Cup the hate he received was strewn all over the press.
I followed you up to here . . .

Had it been a snooker player missing the black off a spot it's forgotten about 2 minutes later as there's no national involvement. The same with league sports and for the same reasons....
Then suddenly to switch to uh, is that greek?

His expression of faith may tick some people off but he's hardly alone in that and I hardly see it as the prime reason.
Agree :chuckle:

Arthur Brain

I followed you up to here . . .

:D

Then suddenly to switch to uh, is that greek?

Well, if a snooker play fouls up on a shot it's an individual mistake in an individual sport. Each player has their fan base but it's not like a player is representing an entire nation/state (for the most part) so they're not given anything like the grief a player in a football match receives if he makes a gaffe. Is that any more clear?

:eek:

Agree :chuckle:

:e4e:

Dena

My atheist friend announced last night that Tebow is super hot. I was not aware of this but anyway, his love for Jesus doesn't seem to bother her.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Anti-Christian bigotry.

Probably. I didn't read the article, so I don't know what it says. Probably something along the lines of how George W Bush was treated for getting more votes than Algore in Florida.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

I think only Liberals hate Tebow

They hate him because he is a home-schooled, pro-life, good looking Christian who is successful.

BTW, this also proves that Nick M is a closet liberal.