toldailytopic: Many paths to God? Or just one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 13th, 2011 10:48 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

zippy2006

Does a path equate to a religion, a denomination, a set of doctrines, or what? What concept of God is being referred to?

there may be many paths to a knowledge of God but there is only way TO God in Heaven

in other words, there is only one way to SALVATION

Jesus

everyone of us humans knows something abuot God and is sometimes mindful of Him... We are always mindful of His ways one way or the other...

But just knowing about God does not get you to heaven

"Only those who DO the will of the Father" will enter Heaven... not the hearers (emphasis mine)

for example, everyone knows instinctively that God is love...

but everyone does not know HOW to love his "neighbor as h imself"

We are taught to do this by Jesus... and even then... reluctantly... grudgingly...

Turn the other cheeck???

no one is naturally capable of doing such a thing... or very few anyway...

and even if one did find this naturally easy to do... there would be othe things he has difficulty doing that Jesus says is necessary to do

so... without Jesus, ther is no salvation.

if someone lives on an isolated island and has never heard of Jesus... I belive that Jesus appears to this person and offers salvation... maybe after death...

but God is no respector of persons, so i would think He would do this 4 those who were not fortunte to be raised in Jesus' Church or whatever..

ICameBack

I love how these questions are posed. Vague enough to elicit a definitive response without being definitive itself and often causing heated debate. Nicely done, Knight.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
All paths lead to God. Only one has a happy ending. The broad path of destruction leads to God.

Last edited:

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Many paths? A lot paths lead to a lot of places, some paths can lead to God, and knowing about God, but not knowing God; not all paths will lead to The Way, The Truth, and The Life, and knowing God through Jesus, the new and living way, and that is the path that counts.

Yazichestvo

This question is certainly vague. I suspect it means something very different to me than to a Christian. I believe, or at least find it very likely, that all traditions lead to a deity of some sort. Some may face an ignominious fate in the next world, but I believe most people are fundamentally good.

John Mortimer

Where do we find God? In the kingdom of God. The kingdom of God is within. Therefore strictly speaking there are no paths to God, for God is not a remote being Who is somewhere else.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 13th, 2011 10:48 AM

Matt. 7:13 ¶ “Enter in by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many are those who enter in by it.
Matt. 7:14 How narrow is the gate, and restricted is the way that leads to life! Few are those who find it.

Sounds to me as if there is one way, by the narrow gate, and few find it. What is the way? For Jesus Christ said thus:

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

I think I will take "only one way to God" for $100 Alex... :D

Refractive

I sometimes think of it as a path up a mountain through a forest. Everyone is on the same path because there is only one. Some are running. Some are taking a few steps and then going off to explore an interesting tree they noticed and then coming back. There was a guy on a pogo stick, but he got stuck when it rained. There's a bus and a lot of bicycles. Some are crawling, and there seem to be a lot of blind folks either stumbling forward with their hands waving around or following someone else who's shoulder they have grabbed. One guy set up a lemonade stand at the side to help everyone else along.

There was a fellow who thought he got to decide who moved along the path or not and set up a road block to make people prove they were worthy to be there, but everyone just goes around him. There are a lot of big groups and people just moseying along by themselves. But mostly there are a lot of pairs and threes and families all helping each other along, carrying each other when they have to.

I heard there were a few who were tunneling underneath the path, but... I think it's a pathun legend. Although, I have seen some moving from branch to branch in the tree canopy over the path, so, maybe....

But everyone can see the Light at the top of the mountain, or feel the warmth or hear the music or all of them together. They are all moving toward, pulled and guided by, the very same thing.

So, my answer is: one path.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
"This authority, however, (though it has been given to man and is exercised by man), is not human but rather divine, granted to Peter by a divine word and reaffirmed to him (Peter) and his successors by the One Whom Peter confessed, the Lord saying to Peter himself, 'Whatsoever you shall bind on earth, shall be bound also in Heaven' etc., [Mt 16:19]. Therefore whoever resists this power thus ordained by God, resists the ordinance of God [Rom 13:2], unless he invent like Manicheus two beginnings, which is false and judged by us heretical, since according to the testimony of Moses, it is not in the beginnings but in the beginning that God created heaven and earth [Gen 1:1]. Furthermore, we declare, we proclaim, we define that it is absolutely necessary for salvation that every human creature be subject to the Roman Pontiff." -Unam Sanctam by Pope Boniface VIII

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Matt. 7:13 ¶ “Enter in by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many are those who enter in by it.
Matt. 7:14 How narrow is the gate, and restricted is the way that leads to life! Few are those who find it.

Sounds to me as if there is one way, by the narrow gate, and few find it. What is the way? For Jesus Christ said thus:

If we only fear the one that can destroy us in hell fire, where do you suppose the path of destruction leads us?

Lon

Proverbs 14:12 & 16:25
There is a way that seems right to a person, but its end is the way that leads to death.
-
John 14:6 Jesus replied, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Status
Not open for further replies.