toldailytopic: Church pet peeves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samstarrett

No problem. It changed by the time the following was written:

Eph. 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Fair enough. :e4e:

How about this semi-doctrinally correct hymn:

When We All Get To Heaven...

Buzzword

Samstarrett said:
How about this semi-doctrinally correct hymn:

When We All Get To Heaven...

I always treated that (and all the rest of the billion and and a half southern Gospel songs about heaven) as more of a celebration of Christian fellowship than anything.

Kind of a "we're going to Heaven! Let's party!" type of thing.
Emotionally based, like most Christian art, rather than rooted in intellectually sound doctrine.

Thunder's Muse

I don't blame you, after experiences like that. I hope my commiseration didn't come off sarcastic. I get the feeling it might be taken that way, but I assure you I am quite sincere.

Peace,
Sam

All good :)

My Church experience is pretty screwed up, really. It's left me kind of once bitten twice shy. I used to use it as an excuse to push God away, until He showed me that my experiences were because of people and their faults, not because He didn't love me.

Krsto

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 13th, 2011 10:01 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Don't get me started . . .

GoingGoldenWCU

I think my biggest pet peeve is little kids fussing or messing around in the pews during the sermon.

I love kids and I know that I probably used to be one of those noisemakers but it always breaks my concentration.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
At one point in my life, I think I wrote a book on this topic.
My attitude has improved a lot.
Of course, it could be better. :shut:

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The worship guy/gal prays and includes a phrase in his prayer that mysteriously finds itself in the next song.
:rotfl:

Praying in a group about a tough situation and some one binds Satan while everyone else sits there envious that they didn't say it first.
double :rotfl::rotfl:

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's bad enough being a legalistic preacher. But how about a legalistic preacher who is fat?

Tico

It's bad enough being a legalistic preacher. But how about a legalistic preacher who is fat?

Maybe it's not his fault that he's fat. Maybe someone prayed a hedge of protection around him and what he ended up with was a few extra layers of protective blubber.

alwight

Church pet peeves.

Church pet peeves.

That they all seem to have images of some poor suffering guy nailed to a wooden cross where even kids can see them, shouldn't be allowed. :IA:

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My pet peeves...
7. Masons allowed as Elders and Deacons.

And the churches that are anti masonic, but still glad hand them when they join. That hypocritical I say.

No I'm not a mason and never would be.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

When the Sunday is moved to Friday night, in favor of family time on the weekend and the families opportunity to catch up on stuff they over committed on.

Some say as long as you keep one day in seven, it shouldn't matter, I think it did, the congregation went from about 300 to 100 in attendance.

Four O'Clock

1) Politics from the pulpit (be it left or right, direct or implied)
2) The 'modernization' wave. I believe some churches sincerely fall into this in an attempt to bring in new members but it often seems more social than spiritual, at least to me.
3) The 'marketing wave'. I mean the almost PR, stage production, selling a product sort of approach that many churches use. Here too, some churches innocently fall into this.

I prefer traditional worship; that's why, tho a non-Catholic, I love my retreats to the Gethsemeni monastary.

Status
Not open for further replies.